• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May 17, 2005
vikings_fighting_md_clr.gif

Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves, Britons shall never be slaves

3.png

Prehistoric Britain (5000 BC - c. 100 BC)
Britain before the Romans came: stone, bronze, iron ages, construction of stonehenge, earthworks, Druids, the Celts.

Roman Britain (55 BC - 410 AD)
From Julius Caesar's first attempt at conquest to the final days of Roman administration in Britain: rebellion, subjugation, advent of Christianity, barbarian invasions, withdrawal.

Early British Kingdoms (410 - 598)
After the Roman influence ceased, the activities of the British people: westward movement, intrigues & alliances, power struggles, explosion of missionary activities, plague, Saxon invasions.

Early British Kingdoms (599 - 937)
Continuing activities of the British people: further westward movement, more intrigues & alliances, more power struggles, more Saxon invasions, religious strife with Roman Catholicism.

Anglo Saxon England (597 - 687)
The coming of St. Augustine, triumph of Rome-oriented Christianity, Saxon control of island, rise of Mercia, Offa's Dyke.

Anglo Saxon England (688 - 801)
Rise of Wessex, King Ine establishes his law, Venerable Bede, Viking invasions.

Anglo Saxon England (802 - 898)
Triumph of Egbert, development of Wessex dynasty, Viking wars, Alfred the Great, St. Swithun, Peace of Wedmore, the Danelaw.

Anglo Saxon England (899 - 977)
Athelstan, St. Dunstan, growth of monasteries, more Viking wars, Battle of Brunanburh

Anglo Saxon England (978 - 1066)
Aethelred the Unready, Danegeld, Danes gain English crown, Edward the Confessor, rise of the Godwins, Westminster Abbey, Harold and William at Hastings.

Medieval Britain (1066 - 1487)
Conquest, consolidation, feudal system, Magna Carta, codification of laws, individual rights, Welsh & Scottish wars, murder of a king, Black Plague, Hundred Years War, Peasant's Revolt, religious unrest, Princes in the Tower, Wars of the Roses.

map.jpg

ScreenSave0ab.jpg
England’s modest holdings managed by the capable Henry the fifth.​

Early in the fifthteenth century. England, her ally Burgundy and vassal Brittany found themselves at war with the powerful confederacy of France, her vassals Orleans, Provence, Auvergne, Bourbonnais and ally Scotland. King Henry’s policy and vision was one of total absorption of all French speaking peoples into the expanding English dominion, nothing short of it would do.
This was not considered an easy task, so Henry quickly persuaded Aragon, Navarra and Savoy to join his alliance with the promise of much spoils and glory on the battlefield. He then wasted no time in engaging the enemy. His tactics were simple, a shock and awe campaign, that would overawe the enemy armies, which were made up primarily of peasant riff raff. Henry led England’s main army which annihilated the 18000 strong French army outside Paris then moved south and decimated Frances second major army before it had time to regroup with militia forces springing up all over France. Smaller English forces quickly began besieging or covering all of Frances territories, while the Royal Navy battered the French Navy in the English Channel.

ScreenSave1ab.jpg
England’s armies move on France, with hopes of a quick victory.​

During this period the English treasury was overflowing with plunder looted from the mainland provinces and Henry turned his attention to the East where English traders had heard stories of great wealth in the lands East of Egypt, so Henry sent large gifts of gold, silver and fine stones of great value to the Mameluks, The Kaliphate, Ak Koyunlu and Gujarat, these formalities included the exchange of maps and military access for English surveyors. In 1421 an assassination plot on the kings life was uncovered, having originated in Novogrod with Denmark and Castile being found co-conspiritators, Henry flew into a rage and formally warned the three countries from interfering in English affairs, while promising revenge to his courtesans. With France all but secured, England focused all of its attention on subjecating her vassals and it was at this time that news reached England that Denmark had declared war on the small German state of Holstein. Henrys cousin Beatrice was married to the Duke of Holstein and soon pleaded with Henry to make intersession on Holsteins behalf (for Henrys diplomacy was famous) to persuade Denmark that peace was a more profitable option, with his anger still fuming against Denmark, Henry agreed...thus England declared war and Burgundy, whose relations with England had soured badly after England’s refusal to punish English pirates which preyed on Burgundies cargo shipping, dishonoured our alliance.
Only a year latter Castile declared war on Granada. Henry was a greedy sod and he coveted the small colony on the Canary Islands, for Henry loved his porridge covered with sugar and was determined that sugar would be much cheaper and more widely available if England produced its own, so England holding high its objections to Castiles war with Granada, declared war on the Iberian. Shortly after this Henry the fifth died not seeing his dream of the unification of France and England. He was succeeded by his son of the same name, who did not possess his father’s fine skills, though perhaps possessed a greater passion for war and conquest.

ScreenSave2ab.jpg
England’s foreign policy of domination, found herself fighting 3 great alliances.​

ScreenSave3ab.jpg
The French aristocracy was the target of large scale looting, which was funnelled directly into the Kings coffers.​
During the early years of his reign, the new Henry saw all of Frances provinces, except the capital (Ile de France) succeeded to England in the great peace treaty of September 1423, also Maine from Provence, Limousin from Bourbonnais and Cevennes from Auvergne during earlier discussions. Furthermore peace was signed with Castile and Portugal in return for the Canary Islands, sugar in abundance was secured for the Isles.

ScreenSave4ab.jpg
After peace with France, England had stamped its foot on mainland Europe.​

It was the war with the Scandinavians were England was finding it most difficult, the combined fleets of Denmark, Sweden and Norway were mauling the Royal navy. Though actual losses of ships were kept to a minimum (due to naval policy of "fight in might or flight when light" - in fighting odds), loses of battles were massive and landing an army on enemy soil proved difficult. Until late in 1424, Bedford landed in Oslo, quickly captured the Norwegian capital and everything changed. Bedford headed for the Swedish capital, when news of Burgundy annexing France was received, this was intolerable to Henry so he promptly declared war on his once ally. Burgundy’s armies proved no match for England’s superior knights and the valuable Ile de France and Flanders were gained. Bedford meanwhile had captured Stockholm and the colony of Lappland and it was seeded to England, as Sweden sued for peace. Bedford made for Sjelland and made light work of their defences before signing a separate peace for a king’s ransom in gold. Norway proved quite stubborn and it was not until the entire country was under England’s authority, that she made peace for all of her colonies and trading posts.

ScreenSave5ab.jpg
Bedford, one of England’s beloved sons, makes them proud. People sang and danced in the streets on hearing Oslo was in flames.​

ScreenSave8ab.jpg
English merchants eyes lit up and they rubbed their hands with glee when these lucrative trading centres were gained.​

ScreenSave10ab.jpg
It was estimated that the winter weather killed more men than Norwegian steel did between 1427 - 1430.​

The other notable changes of this period, was the re-emergence of France, the nation was thus named after Bourbonnais rebels declared independence from Burgundy during her period of disintegration, were Burgundy found herself at war with half of Europe. Provence had declared war on England’s ally Savoy, Scotland joined Provence in the war and subsequently was vassalized by England. Iceland, a poor backward island, was released as a vassal from England.

ScreenSave11ab.jpg
The Northern threat was beaten into submission.​

War weary England was at peace just long enough to pacify the discontented citizens, when she declared war. After satisfyingly punishing two of the three countries that had attempted to assassinate his father, Henry the sixth turned on the last, Novogrod. This Russian state had won a stunning war against Muscovy - Suzdal and recently had declared war on the Teutonic Knights. Fortunately Bedford was still in Scandinavia at the time and sent a scouting army to quickly occupy the Northern colonies as Bedford himself headed straight for the city of Novogrod. The Teutonic Knights kept Novogrod forces busy in Pskov while English forces breached the city walls and on fear of a bloody slaughter the terrified Russian royalty made peace for all of her Northern colonies.

ScreenSave12ab.jpg
The King of Norway signs on the dotted line.​

ScreenSave13ab.jpg
The common adventuring Englishman was reluctant to move to the poor and freezing provinces of Scandinavia, so the dregs of society were forced there. Murderers, extortionists and thieves made up the bulk of the population of these colonies. Freedom was promised to all at the end of 15 years hard labour developing the land.

ScreenSave14ab.jpg
Victory over Novogrod saw the Northern colonies added to. However it was still unclear as to what purpose they would serve the empire.​

By this time Henry was satisfied with England’s borders in Europe, so he turned his sights towards the Middle East. 40,000 cavalry, lead by Talbot and Gloucestor were ferried to Samaria, where the king of the Mameluks welcomed them with open arms and blessed their mission against his hated enemy, the Timurid Empire. Some years earlier, Timurid forces captured a small contingent of English traders with a huge cache of opium, it was claimed it was smuggled through the empire without paying the exorbitant import taxes which the Timurids had put on the drug, the opium was confiscated and the traders were flayed alive before being beheaded. England demanded compensation and warned the empire that this situation was not acceptable, which they did not heed, thus war had become inevitable. At the same time in England and Europe sugar prices were soaring, the people could not get enough of it, the sugar riots of 1437 in southern England had to be put down by the army were 500 people were killed in London alone. King Henry eventually bowed to public pressure and promised to increase sugar imports. The only way this was possible was conquest of more sugar producing regions. So war was declared on Eire, who allies Castile and more importantly Portugal joined against England.

ScreenSave15ab.jpg
The seas were to become England’s super highways, as her might was to be felt around the globe.​

ScreenSave16ab.jpg
Talbot heads straight for the rich trading centre of Isfahan, it, as well as the colonies of Lut, Merched and Kerman were gained.​

ScreenSave18ab.jpg
England won two new provinces during the early sugar wars. English citizens were over joyed, but Henry doubted it would last, as their appetite was insatiable.​

ScreenSave19ab.jpg
35,000 cavalry commanded by the determined Northumberland completely annihilated the 32,000 Castillian peasants one day before a white peace was signed.​

After Talbot’s great successes against the Timurids, England’s foreign policy on the Middle East was cemented. All trading centres of any wealth were considered the property of the English crown and these centres should be put under England’s control by any means necessary. As a result all nations in possession of an accessible COT were warned by order of the imperial authority. So when the Golden Horde declared war on Genoa, England on the false pretence of defending the fellow Christian state from the infidel, declared war once again.

ScreenSave20ab.jpg
Warwick was full of confidence when entering enemy territory.​

ScreenSave21ab.jpg
However, Ak Koyunlu forces proved more than a match for him.​

ScreenSave22ab.jpg
Warwick and his much-reduced force found far more joy against the Horde, smashing countless numbers of small armies.​

ScreenSave24ab.jpg
With thousands upon thousands of reinforcements, the tide had turned in England’s favour against Ak Koyunlu and the Golden Horde, Astrakhan entered into the English fold. However the capacity of England’s armed forces during this period were perhaps at their lowest ebb it had been for a long time when Denmark allied by Sweden had declared war, quickly followed by Novogrod. The Northern colonies over the years had been successfully developed into provinces of some stature, however they were desperately poor and in the end Henry considered it wiser to give all England’s past gains in Northern Europe and the provinces of Eiriksfjord and Vestbygden back to their former owners, by doing this England’s reputation rose (bad boy decreased) and was considered much less of a warmongering bastard than was first thought, Henry was delighted at this diplomatic coup.

ScreenSave27ab.jpg
Years of peace were broken when Savoy declared war on Genoa in 1454 and England gained Corsica, and then released it as a vassal. It was broken again in 1462. English soldiers brimming with plunder time and time again were attacked in Syria and Samaria while returning home from Astrakhan and Isfahan. The Mameluks lukewarm response to the matter was too much to bear.

ScreenSave28ab.jpg
The nation was overrun with great speed.​

ScreenSave29ab.jpg
And the newly crowned Edward the fourth took immense pride in entering England’s newest addition as the Mameluks were put in their place. These few years between 1419 - 1463 saw England’s meteoritic rise to Empire and commander of the known world.

Last edited:
A good start to an aar. I enjoy the history book style, and I like thelarge number of screenshots used.

Might I suggest breaking future updates into multiple chapters or sections? The current length is a lot to read at once.

Corruption said:
A good start to an aar. I enjoy the history book style, and I like thelarge number of screenshots used.

Might I suggest breaking future updates into multiple chapters or sections? The current length is a lot to read at once.

Thanks man, I'll try and do that, sometimes I get a little carried away with the game, play heaps, then write to catch up and throw it all in one post.

Ah finally, an EUII AAR I'll enjoy reading immensely. :) I can't wait until the next update.

Thanks Henry v. Keiper, comments again far too kind.

Cheers Grundius, WC = no, tried that in times past. I dont know if its just me, but civil wars seem to happen much more often in the latest beta - when you start owning half the world, which is enough to put me off WC forever. Basically take rich cots and gold, colonize very rich provinces only and beat up on everyone, vassalize here and there. This is now my mode for every nation I play.

Fodoron said:
Three simultaneous AARs, that must be a record :D

I dunno, I think Tekcor had five going on at the same time at one point. >.>

Not only am I in 'cause it's an England AAR, I'm liking the style and story thus far. I'm gonna enjoy this one!

*subscribes furiously*

English.jpg

IN GOOD COMPANY, NO GUTS NO GLORY!

Some tunes to listen to while reading :

Do these links above work for you?

a0.jpg

After 6 years of sun tans and blow flys in Alexandria, Edward the fourth returned to Europe desiring blood.​

a1.jpg

Once the best part of Aragon was subdued Edward turned on Eire, France, Castile and Portugal. The English appetite for war was never satified, for it was in their veins from days of old and would continue well into the future.

a2.jpg
The bodies of the unprepared French soldiers fertilize the soil and prove a worthy snack for the crows outside the city of Orleans. Edward's seige engines are hastily set up and begin a barrage of fire, the troops surround the city and the orders are discharged "No quarter, slay every man, women, child and beast within, without exception".

a3.jpg

Aragon signs on the dotted line after Castile moves in to take England's place.​

(sorry accidently deleted pic)​

The putrid smell of burning flesh fills the air as Orleans is put to the torch. Edward meanwhile heads south turning his attention to the Iberians once more, "A good Iberian, is a dead one".​

a6.jpg
Although Edward could not hope to kill them all, he took a disturbing pleasure in slaying the enemy whenever the chance showed itself.​

a7.jpg
From the age of seven Edward had been trained in the arts of warfare and that training paid off once more on the 6th of December 1473 when not a single Portugese soul of the 19,430 that faced the English, made it home to their families.

a8.jpg
Edward and his small band of dedicated knights set Castile alight, burning farms, looting the peasants meagre belongings before slaying them by all manner of evil ways. What a man, what a life, he quickly became the envy of every Englishman and every English childs Idol and role model. The future of the next generation was secured.

a10.jpg
France indeed had nothing on 25th February 1475, and had even less the following day.​

a11.jpg
Thousands of Castillians perish in Auvergne due to starvation, before what's left lift the seige to return home to face Edward.​

a12.jpg
All to no avail as Edward and his disciples, happy with their plunder, Iberian maps and their blood lust satisfied for now, return home, while leaving a thankyou note with the king of Castile "Thanks for your hospitality, will drop by some time soon".

a13.jpg
Interesting, same day Scotland declares war on two of England's allies, Edward choose's to dishonour the alliance all the same and keep Scotland as a loyal vassal.​

a14.jpg
Edward chooses rather to point his terrible sword towards the East and the Sultan of squat.​

a15.jpg
Edward and his merry men plough through, slicing and dicing, casting Turks to the wayside, attacking all armies that come their way, before a Turkish missile struck Edward in the eye outside the walls of Constantinople late July 1484 and he died a few hours later.​

a16.jpg
Richard, Edward's younger brother, who was also touring in Turkey, claimed the title - king of England, Emperor of Europe and the Iron Fist of Asia, before continuing on to seige of Bursa, Anatolia.

a17.jpg
After campaigning five years in the Ottoman Empire, committing the usual, blood letting, torture, looting and mass genocide. The Turks had had enough and accepted that the English people were their betters and agreed to pay England a yearly tribute, in the hope of not seeing them anytime soon.

a18.jpg
Rebel forces sprung up as English forces evacuated the ruinous Empire. "All together a much enjoyable experience, I must have killed at least 200 Turks, my dearest mother, I look forward to returning home, maybe we'll stop off at Lisbon and kill some more Portugese, I have many Turkish trinkets and jewels to show you, but until then, God bless.

qa2.jpg
Europe 1487​

qa4.jpg
English holdings in the Middle East, known as the golden triangle, such was it's wealth​

qa3.jpg
And in the South Americas​

Last edited:
Can we have a political map of Europe?

Draco Rexus said:
Not only am I in 'cause it's an England AAR, I'm liking the style and story thus far. I'm gonna enjoy this one!

*subscribes furiously*

Glad your liking it Draco, though Im afraid the story line is gonna thin out abit.

yes this is a pretty interesting story...i like english history is cool...though im from Canada :rolleyes:

Spitfire_Pilot said:
yes this is a pretty interesting story...i like english history is cool...though im from Canada :rolleyes:

Cheers Spitfire...yeah I wont hold being Canandian against you :D , Im Aussie!

Nice pair of brothers, Edward and Richard. Btw, what is your plan man? You seem to be embroiled in a constant state of war of which much seems to be of your own creation...

those fog-breahters really seem bent on world domination, eh? :D

*subscribes*

one question? how did the English get used to the middle east climate? or being such great traders they manged to import rain and such? :rofl:

Grundius said:
Nice pair of brothers, Edward and Richard

Yeah :) , well it is alternative history :D .

Grundius said:
Btw, what is your plan man? You seem to be embroiled in a constant state of war of which much seems to be of your own creation...

:rofl: LOL, What good is EU2, if not for war, I mean, really! :rolleyes: .I will declare war on just about anyone for the heck of it :D , if I get a CB and war exhaustion is low, but besides that I want to secure the Carribean and Sugar, Tobacco, Coffee, Spices, Chinaware and of course gold provinces, oh COTs on top of that-Asian/African, probably Northern Europe too if I get the chance.

Fnuco said:
those fog-breahters really seem bent on world domination, eh?

World domination....definately, world conquest no.

Fnuco said:
one question? how did the English get used to the middle east climate?or being such great traders they manged to import rain and such?

Drank plenty of fluids, when water was in short supply, they simply drank the blood of their victims. When they ran out of victims, they just went on killing some more :D . Please note, these English dont profess on being great traders, in fact the king has not sponsored a single trader.

Last edited:
knight_armored_archduke_preattack_md_wht.gif

VALOUR BEYOND ALL PRAISE

gb-royal.gif

aa0.jpg
Richard, not satisfied with the conquests of Europe / Asia Minor, while full of jealously towards the success of the Iberian explorers and needed little reason to declare war on the alliance of Spain, Portugal, France and Mameluks in August 1488. A war that would last for eleven years and see the Iberian peninsula burn like it had never burned before, the period which would later be referred to as "when Christ and his saints slept". The first days of the war opened when a so called 'peace keeping mission' force of 8000 English massacred the 2000 Portuguese recruits they were training in Tago, a drunken brawl had begun over a poker game which soon erupted into bloody carnage.

aa1.jpg

El Gran Captain gained the respect of the English, during the war.​

aa2.jpg

So eager was Richard that he even heeded the call from the Pope for help against the Muslim devils of North Africa. The blue squadron called a retreat after suffering a bruising from superior enemy fire.

aa3.jpg

Scott - “I hereby claim these lands for the great king of the Isles”.​

aa4.jpg

English forces took every opportunity of totally annihilating the enemy without risking loses of their own.​

aa5.jpg

The battle for the Caribbean commenced with a devastating salvo of broadsides raining down upon this hapless Portuguese warship. The magazine exploded after half an hour of sheer hell.​

aa10.jpg

Many border incursions were made, though successfully defeated by the English.​

aa12.jpg

The Pope expressed delight on hearing of England’s success in North Africa and blessed England’s war on the Iberians.​

aa13.jpg

Muslim insurgents rebel on sighting a Tunisian fleet off shore. The rebellion was crushed and the Tunisian army obliterated on landing. The English took vengeance by systematically looting then burning all the mosques in the city.

aa14.jpg

The North African campaign had come to a stalemate, so peace was signed and the troops withdrew to Europe.​

aa15.jpg

With France knocked out of the war, now English vassals. Spain in dire straits, and after the English had committed mass executions of Tago’s aristocracy, Portugal desired peace.

aa16.jpg

Old Duke Alba had his throat cut by his own men for gross incompetence after attacking such an overwhelming force in such a strong defensive position, those responsible later fell by eager English swords.

aa18.jpg

The king of England had only wished the Mameluks had conquered the other desperately poor provinces in the East. The Anglo Saxon people of Lut latter rebelled and demanded to be under English rule.

aa19.jpg

England now focused its full attention on Spain after brushing aside her allies.​

aa20.jpg

Victory followed victory as the English bulldog refused to back down in the control for the enemy’s capital.​

aa21.jpg

While fierce fighting continues in the Caribbean.​

aa22.jpg

England’s more peaceful expansion continued during the war.​

aa23.jpg

The fall of Castilla provided England with valuable maps, as the city was turned over to the soldiers for three weeks of wanton looting, rape and indiscriminate killings of any who crossed their paths.​

aa25.jpg

An uneasy peace was finally signed four years later in December 1498, though it was not to last long.​

Last edited: