• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mettermrck

The Fuehrer of the Dance
121 Badges
Jul 11, 2001
Visit site
  • Magicka
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Galactic Assault
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • King Arthur II
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
quebec23zm.jpg

The war has actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms!
- Nathaniel Greene

December 31, 1775

The snow fell hard, obscuring everything and diminishing the visibility to the point where the men could scarcely see those next to them. Already a blanket of snow was beginning to form on the ground, and added to the darkness of night, it cut an ominous gloom across the fields surrounding the city. Bunched together in their columns, the men shivered and awaited the signal. Exhausted, hungry, burdened by pack and musket, they had come this far in perpetual torment, as the harsh terrain and poor logistics of a campaign in New England and Canada had worn them down. Now at last, they had a goal in sight, with the promise of an end to the marching and the prospect of a hot meal and a warm bed on the other side of the battle. Unable to see much beyond the dim glow of a city asleep, they could only trust in the wisdom of their officers, and from experience, they found that to be a dubious proposition at best.

quebec41wa.jpg
September – November 1775

It had been over three months since the thousand-man force had set out from Massachusetts with the freezing torment of a Maine winter and the Kennebec River still ahead of them. They would sail in eleven transports from Newburyport to Gardinerstown, Maine, slipping past the British embargo, then to Fort Western and up the Kennebec and Dead Rivers to the Chaudiere. Then it was the matter of a sharp fight and the city was theirs – that’s what the officers had told them. But Maine in the autumn of 1775 presented its own challenges: many portages to cross, poor supplies, the men wading up to their chests to drag leaking boats in some places. Illness and frostbite set in, morale plummeted, and the small force only grew tinier as they pushed their way into frozen Canada. Winter came early to Maine, and the easy ascent up the Kennebec on flat-bottomed boats became a nightmare as they moved through swamplands and rugged terrain. Unbeknownst to them, the map being used to guide their march had been purposely altered by the British before its publication. A twenty-day march became forty-five, and 180 miles as actually 400.

quebec12yw.jpg

The march through Maine into Canada was a challenge of logistics and endurance

From Ft. Western (Augusta), they set out in two hundred hastily constructed bateaux, twenty-five to thirty feet in length and made out of green wood that quickly became waterlogged. Most of these sunk in the rapids, overturned or leaked in the flooding rivers. By October 25, after navigating the harsh Skowhegan Falls, they were down to six hundred fifty men, one division having decided to head home. Worse still, most of the food seemed to have disappeared with the homeward bound. The men would eventually be reduced to eating their moccasins and in one case, a pet dog.

quebec33pm.jpg

The Kennebec River was an inhospitable route for an army to march along

Yet somehow they persevered and on November 9, they stood at Point Levis, near where the Chaudiere met the St. Lawrence River, just across from the fortress city of Quebec, the strategic heart of British Canada. The city, however, had not been caught by surprise, there was still a major river between the men and their objective. There was no sign of the other column. The British had destroyed all of the boats nearby – saving their warships – and stood vigilant. It was not as simple as the officers had explained.

Last edited:
Is this the collaboration project you "talked" about earlier? I any event, this is very cool. Especially considering that I'm reading A History of the American People by Paul M. Johnson, and the revolution is just about to start. :)

Seems like an interesting start to a new AAR Mettermrck. Looking forward to seeing more form you.:)

So you are going to captured Quebec from the British and make an American super power? Seems like your soldiers might just have a hard time managing to do that for it can’t be fun to march in that kind of weather;)

Death to King George! Long live the republic!

Rest assured that I will be a diligent reader. :cool:

cthulhu: No, this isn't quite the collaboration I had been planning, though the timeperiod is virtually the same. This is something I've had in mind for a while now.

Lord E: Now, now. I can't give anything away, now can I? :)

bluelotus: Thanks! I hope you like the story.

Petrarca: Well, I know who you're rooting for, now don't I? ;)

quebec8sv2.jpg

". . .In defense of the freedom that is our birthright. . .we have taken up arms. We shall lay them down when hostilities shall cease on the part of the aggressors, and all danger of their being renewed shall be removed, and not before."
- John Hancock

September – October 1775

The march from Massachusetts to Quebec was only half of a grand operation against Canada. The other column expected by those frozen men, who stood across from the fortress city, was just then approaching by way of Montreal and a hard-fought campaign of their own via Lakes George and Champlain and then up the St. Lawrence Valley. This was the main column of the invasion of Canada, under the command of Richard Montgomery, who was at last reaching the outskirts of Quebec with a mere three hundred fifty men. The journeys of both columns, and the twists of fate that brought an American army into Canada, had their roots with the fall of Fort Ticonderoga in May.

After the skirmishes at Lexington and Concord in April, the colonists contemplated direct aggressive action against the British. In lieu of an immediate invasion of Canada, they chose a more modest attack on Fort Ticonderoga, which guarded the traditional route of march south from Montreal into the Hudson Valley and New England. The operation was commanded by two prominent leaders, Ethan Allen, who had made a reputation for himself forming the Green Mountain Boys, a rugged group of frontiersmen who opposed settlement in Vermont by those loyal to New York. A speculator and a man prone to agitation, Allen was the choice of Connecticut to capture the fort, which brought him into opposition against the choice of Massachusetts – Benedict Arnold. Like Allen, Arnold was a veteran of the French and Indian War, had served in the militia, and he had been a druggist and trader before the outbreak of the Revolution made him a colonel. Bickering and posturing, Arnold and Allen managed to pull off the capture of Ticonderoga on May 16th.

On May 26th, following upon over a year of diplomatic overtures to the Canadians, the Continental Congress issued another strong appeal to their northern neighbors:

” To the oppressed inhabitants of Canada. FRIENDS AND COUNTRYMEN,

Alarmed by the designs of an arbitrary Ministry, to extirpate the Rights and liberties of all America, a sense of common danger conspired with the dictates of humanity, in urging us to call your attention, by our late address, to this very important object.”

The appeal was partly in explanation of the American attack on Ticonderoga which, although south of the traditional border with Canada, could be perceived as an aggressive move. Throughout the coming campaign, such considerations and sensitivity was important to the American government.

Soon after, word came that the British Governor-General of Canada, Sir Guy Carleton, was negotiating with the Indian tribes on the colonial frontier, and contemplating an invasion of his own into New York. Rather than await the British campaign, the colonists decided to plan one of their own. General Philip Schuyler, commander of the newly formed Northern Department in New York, was tasked by Washington to capture Montreal. Indeed, his prominent subordinate, Ethan Allen, had already ventured to state that: ”I would lay my life on it, that with fifteen hundred men I could take Montreal.” Schuyler would be given command of precisely that.

quebec7ug1.jpg

Philip Schuyler, Richard Montgomery, Ethan Allen, Benedict Arnold, Guy Carleton

Anticipating an easy march and the aid of French-Canadians frustrated with British rule, Schuyler’s column set out confidently on September 4th. Discovering that the British were building two strong warships for operations on Lake Champlain, the American army arrived on the 6th to begin an attack on Ft. St. John’s, which guarded passage from the lake up the Richelieu River. Repulsed by strong resistance, Schuyler’s forces pulled back and returned on the 10th, investing the fort in earnest. For over a month, the invasion became bogged down in a siege of the river fort. Contending not only with the British but with bilious fever and rheumatism, Schuyler sent Montgomery northward to operate against Ft. Chambly, a British storage depot, as well as to attempt active recruiting of Canadians into the fight.

quebec5pm9.jpg

Before Montreal could be seized, Schuyler’s column first had to reduce Ft. St. John’s

By the 12th, Schuyler had bowed out and returned to Ticonderoga, giving overall command to Montgomery. On the 25th of September, a major blow to morale occurred when Ethan Allen, during an impetuous attack on Montreal, was captured the city, to be shipped to England in irons. Even as Benedict’s Arnold began its march through Maine, the main invasion column remained stuck outside St. John’s. To help relieve the situation, Montgomery again dispatched a force to the north against Ft. Chambly under Major Brown. In an interesting note, both armies included significant contingents of Canadians, two hundred fifty militia in Carleton’s army and almost three hundred in the American force. Yet as October waned, the invasion of Canada was still very much in the balance.

quebec6ya9.jpg

As Arnold’s column pushed through frozen Maine, the main force under Montgomery was bogged down south of Montreal

Last edited:
Second person to post a second time in this thread!

Here's to hoping that we see Quebec flying our flag.

A successful invasion of Canada would be very interesting indeed. A quote from A History of the American People : [Benjamin Franklin]…He drew up Articles of Confederation and perpetual Union, which carried his defense union scheme a great deal further and was an early blueprint for the Constitution of the United States itself. This was to include besides the Thirteen Colonies (Georgia had now joined the Congress), Canada, the West Indies, and even Ireland if it wished.

Will you be landing your troops in Dublin any time soon? ;) Great writing and I like the tunes.

Isn't it a bit risky to commit those troops to Canada, instead of keeping them back for national defence?

Huzzah!

I'm amazed you're donig so well; I always face a massive threat from the Brits at this point.

Oh, excellent! I'm looking forward to this one.

One oft-cited reason for the slow initial British response to the Revolution was their fear for the sugar islands of the West Indies. Once they were sure the rebellion would not spread to the West Indies (as the Americans were busily attempting) they began to move to suppress it in America. How important were the sugar colonies? At the end of the last war with France, Britain thought they could either get the island of Martinique or all of Canada for peace, and considered them about equal in value (!). Eventually they decided to take Canada, protecting their existing sugar manufacturies (Jamaica, etc) despite warnings that removal of the French threat would inevitably lead the Americans to independence.

There were a fair number of Canadians who wanted freedom from Britain, but I don't think they were interested in joining the US. The strong pro-Crown sentiment came later, largely from the many Loyalists who moved out of the US to Canada.

Icarus: Don't give me any pressure or anything. ;)

Petrarca: We shall see.

cthulhu: Dublin?!? You are getting way ahead of yourself!

Vincent Julien: Sure it's risky. My early game moves are mirroring the historical invasion, so it looks paltry and foolhardy in game terms. :)

Faelin: Well, the scenario starts regularly in 1773. I moved it to 1775 and the armies are smaller than they typically are in the game, so you'll see smaller units moving around, bigger than historically, since 1,000 men can't take a town if their life depended on it, but not the monstrosities you typically see in the game. :) Plus I added some custom events of my own as with my last AAR.

bluelotus: The armies are spread out to endure winter attrition, and I still don't know if it'll be enough. If I moved the 15k army at Massachusetts to Stadacone at once, they would die fast. If I use successive movements of small armies, I think I might do better. We shall see though!

Director: Thanks! I hope you like it. I've tried to do my best to research Canadian history, which is fascinating and I've never had a chance to look into before. The points of view of the Canadian population is really interesting to read about in 1775.

quebec109ik.jpg

"It is never permitted to revolt against the legitimate authority.”
- Bishop Olivier Briand

October – November 1775

By mid-October, with Montgomery’s forces besieging Ft. St. John’s and Arnold’s column slogging its way through the hinterland of Maine, the reality of an American invasion of Canada was beginning to materialize. For the British, it was a surprisingly bold move against their control of the St. Lawrence Valley, yet for the Canadians, the arrival of American armies provoked varying reactions.

For the most part, the average Canadian colonist chose a prudent neutrality towards either side. There was still the lingering hostility towards the British government, mainly due to its anti-Catholic policies, although the recent Quebec Act of 1774, which granted religious freedom and provisions for French civil law, had some effect in minimizing these tensions. Unfortunately for the British, there were increasing calls from the southern colonies for Canadian neutrality in the coming conflict, and this was being met with some sympathy. Merchants such as Thomas Walker were angered over the failure to implement English law in Canada. The merchants expressed their views in letters, pamphlets, and addresses, and though the seigneurs and clergy remained loyal to the Crown, most of the populace was open to calls for neutrality. Thus, Canadian merchants dealt with either army and Canadian families provided shelter for whichever army was passing through. Yet there would be prime examples of support for both sides.

Prominent merchants such as Godfrey de Tonnancour were loyal supporters of George III. De Tonnancour became a colonel in the Canadian militia in September and helped Carleton convince neutral Canadians to rally to the British cause, with some effect. He was aided in this by the notary Jean-Baptiste Badeaux, who remarked that “I admit that although I find some virtues in several of the republicans, I find great defects in a republic in general; I see in it much more error and ostentation than true greatness of soul.” But by October, Carleton was faced with strong resistance to militia service and the desire of many Canadians for neutrality. In some cases, as with De Tonnancour and Badeaux, they were forcibly prevented from joining their militia to Carelton’s forces. With barely a few thousand British regulars to defend Canada, the governor still remarked that it would be “unadvisable to attempt assembling any Number of them, except it becomes absolutely necessary . . . .”.

There were supporters of the Americans as well. Like the British, however, the Americans faced the neutrality of the territory they were marching through. While this aided in the securing of provisions and their route of march, and though a few, such as the carpenter Clément Gosselin, initially joined their ranks, neither side benefited from the support of the population. The situation was not likely to change unless the course of the invasion swung decisively in either side’s favor.

quebec111so.jpg

Governor Carleton faced a two-pronged invasion

A sign of this occurred with the fall of Ft. Chambly on October 19th. Bolstered by the arrival of reinforcements from Ticonderoga under General David Wooster, Montgomery’s army repulsed Carleton at Longeuil on the 30th. The road to Montreal and the Richelieu River was now open to the Americans, along with two recently captured warships.

Carleton elected to pull back from Montreal and retreat down the St. Lawrence, leaving the city open to American occupation. He narrowly avoided capture in his retreat. The Americans landed on the Île des Sœurs near the city on the 11th, where General Montgomery received a committee of leading citizens. He promised not to force loyalists to actively oppose the British government, guaranteed a ”peaceable enjoyment of property…” and the ”free exercise of religion”. On the 13th, Montgomery’s forces marched in unopposed, seizing valuable stores, warships, as well as preventing the escape of many leading civilians down the river.

quebec99ye.jpg

By November, the American columns were closing in on Quebec

As Congress had instructed in its original orders, it remained only to defeat the British forces in Canada “if practicable and . . . not . . . disagreeable to the Canadians.” Four days earlier, Arnold’s column had at last emerged on the St. Lawrence, and now the two American columns were just over two hundred miles from each other, with only Quebec standing between them and the achievement of their aims.

Last edited:
Nice work, now we just have to hope that the Canadians want become angry at you and rally to the British and their side, that wouldn't be too good for the Americans...

And also that British army seems a little to big for your small armies to face I would say, it is easy enough taking out towns without walls, but you are going to need a larger army to take some of those towns, and take on the British army ;)

An interesting start. Reminds me a bit of my first EU2 game as America. Ever ambitious I too tried to incorporate Canada into the American Independance.

Very enjoyable read, but as a British expat, though born in Belfast, I am very torn, between the overthrow of the empire and the squashing of the corrupt republic.

Anyhow just watch out for Arnold, I have a feeling that he is trouble.

Keep up the good work.

Yet another good Mett AAR off to a great start.

I canna wait to see where you run with this one, Mett, but where ever it is, it'll be fun ride getting there! :D