• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(25772)

Corporal
Feb 14, 2004
This is my first AAR, be kind. Also English isn't my first language and I do not live in an English speaking nation, so...please correct me if I am wrong. Teach me English, maybe you can learn Russian from me :rofl: (I live in Moscow).

Anyway...to it...

The Rise of Poland: 1492-1536

The goal of this game is to take Poland from a backwards Slavic European Nation to a nation that can challenge Austria and Spain in dominance. I will not use cheats for this game, although I may have strange urges to do so.

In 1492, Poland by no means is large nation. Our military is large in numbers, too large for us to support as a matter of fact. Our technological advancement is not as great as I would like it to be. The King of Poland, Kazimierz Jagiellończyk, an honest man, realizes the problem. He realizes that the kingdom cannot by any means expect to hold a military together of the current size together with Poland's economic problems. He therefore feels that infrastructure of the nation should first improve, then military strength. The great spending project aims to take the backwards feudal kingdom and create a flourishing republic. However before his plan can be set forth he dies.

Image:Jan_Olbracht.jpg

His son, in 1494, Jan I Olbracht, sets about balancing the budget as his first act as King. He keeps Obieslav's dream in mind throughout building infrastructure and pushing the feuding lords into a coherent body of government which came together a year after the beginning of his reign with the Statute of Piotrkow, which formerly united the nobles into a republican body called the Sejm. The peasants of Poland are not left out of the deal, although they are still to work the lands of their noble masters, they will be allowed some freedoms. On the creation of the Sejm, an ananymous advisor is quoted as saying, "We have created a new Republic of Rome, we have rebuilt the flame of glory." However the glory was short lived as soon Jan was marching off to battle in Moldova against the Wallachians who had invaded Lithuania, Poland's ally. He would die in battle, for at the same time, a combined force of North German states would attack Poland, a republic with an already weak army tied up in another land.

The Poles were forced to leave the Wallachians to the Lithuanians and battle against the forces of Germany. The war was fierce and brutal. Poland was distraught especially in the West where Poznan and Danzig were sacked by German knights who had rampaged through Wielkopolskan farm lands.

Aleksander I would replace him until 1505. Faced with a ravaged and bankrupt state, aggresive Muscovites to the East and the Teutonic Order to the North, the weak Aleksander would do nothing. The Senate stepped in and created a bank, so they no longer had to deal with enemies in Germany for their money, and wrote the Constitution of Radom which woudl govern Poland. In 1505, much to the celebration of the people, Aleksander died.

Image:Zygmunt_I_Stary.jpg

Zygmunt I Stariy (Sigmund the Old), the greatest of Polish Kings, came to power. Sigismund faced the challenge of consolidating internal power to face external threats to the country. During Alexander's rule, a law "Nihil novi" had been instated, that forbade Kings of Poland from enacting laws without the consent of the sejm. This proved crippling in Sigismund's dealings with his szlachta and magnates. Zygmund would however face greater challenges when in 1512, the stronger and reenergized German states attacked.

Pictures%2FScreenSave4.jpg

Victory was achieved in 1518, adding Silesia and Hinterpommern to Poland. Economically, Poland was ruined and the hole which Aleksander had dug was now even deeper. To make matter worse, a plague broke out which devastated the country side. Zygmunt took the neccesary steps and the loans began to be paid off through a policy, approved and helped to be administered of helping merchantry and fiscal spending on military and diplomatic ventures.

In 1526, Prussia, fearing the Teutonic Order and out of neccesity because of religious disorder following the reformation, became a Duchy of Poland. Religious turmoil brought revolts to both Danzig and Poznan, which the great General Tarnowski put down.

Relative peace was achieved, the economy flourished, and Poland created good diplomatic ties with former enemies in Brandenburg as well as befriending the Muscovites and pushing them to destroy Poland's age old enemy of the Teutonic Knights.

However, coming off a victory in Hungary, the Ottoman Turks, in 1536 came into conflict with Poland. As Tarnowski marched off to brutal war, things seemed to be in the balance. Would Poland continue its success or be destroyed by the Turks and then ripped apart by jealous neighbors to the West in Austria.

Nice start.

It has been a while seen I played Poland in 1492 and I forgot how quickly the kings die off.

Poland in 1492 can be fun. I hope you enjoy the ride...

Your replies might be low today as this is the end of a major US holiday weekend and most people are away. (Weekends are always slow anyway)

;)

Oh, and I may take you up on the Russian lessons. My baby son is at a Russian daycare and will be speaking fluent Russian (he is only 10 months old so he is speaking fluent baby so far...)

Aha, baby. The mystic language without a written alphabet. :)

Excellent start. So far you write better English than I do, and I grew up speaking the language. That being said I can't see any of your images. It might just be my browser, but currently I cant see anything. Could you put subtitles below the pictures maybe, so even if I can't get the images I know what you are showing.

Thanks

Indeed there seems to be something wrong with the pictures. I had a look at the source and it seems -at least for the wikipidia pics- as if you have linked to the page they're on instead of the picture itself. I recommend using a dedicated host for your pics such as www.photobucket.com (I use this myself and it works great).

Anyway, Poland 1492 can make for interesting gameplay. You made a nice start to the AAR; I will be reading :)

I have been studying English since I was young...

Those pictures is simply of various kings of poland. THis is one of my first games, and I am playing on very hard and furious aggresion. I decided to play because my nation has in past had so friendly and lovable relations with Poland!

Poland: 1536-1562

The war with the Ottomans ended without any gain or pain in 1538, however in the same year Protestant rebels broke out in revolt yet again. They lasted until 1540 as Poland convulsed in violent religious war.

At the same time, another trend in Polish history was beginning to emerge. The era would be collectively termed, "The Polish Rennaisance". Zygmunt I was a great supporter of the arts and sciences and as such much great artwork was created in the era. The most famous of scientists in the era was Copernicus, although along with him literature flourished. The famous Polish painter Boris Kaganovich, (he's made up) drew many paintings of the serene polish peasantry as well.

Pictures%2FCopernicus.jpg

Copernicus

Then, in 1548 the greatest of the Polish Kings, Zygmunt I died. The ceremony was a somber one for trouble brewed. Austria had entered war with German states such as Brandenburg, Bavaria, Wurtemburg, and Lorraine along with its allies such as Cologne and the Palatinant. Poland would eventually be forced to enter for two reasons, first of all it was oppurtune time to check Austrian expansion and cut them down to size, it was also a good time to prove the New King Zygmunt II's power to the Sejm. Therefore in 1549, Poland went to war with Austria.

Pictures%2Fp10.jpg

Poles in battle in the Carpathian Mountains...

The Polish forces marched in Bohemia and the Carpathians however peace was made with Austria handing over Eastern Bohemia and the Carpathians with the Poles posed to attack Austria core.

The Sejm was asked to pay up for the costs of the war as they profited the most. However, they refused forcing Poland to once again fall into debt. The situation however by the 1560s became worse as revolts spread across the country as it seemed to be disintegrating before the very eyes of Zygmunt II. The inflation had caused the Sejm's nobles as well as tax collectors and military officials to realize the devalued currency's weakness. The entire administrative system as well as command in the army began to fall apart in monetary squabbles over pay and the such. The Sejm could not pay the peasants nor provide for them and they therefore left the farms. The famine instigated and brought on more revolts. By 1562, squabbles and problems in the Sejm had left the country in a shamble. There was talk of ridding the country permanently of the king incompetent and some Sejms suggested taking power for themselves, and passing legislation to get rid of the liberties of peasants!

Would Poland hold itself together?

Nice start, but your pictures aren't showing. Check your picture provider.

Things are looking dark for Poland, especially if an angered Austria comes looking for revenge.

glinert said:
I have been studying English since I was young...

Those pictures is simply of various kings of poland. THis is one of my first games, and I am playing on very hard and furious aggresion. I decided to play because my nation has in past had so friendly and lovable relations with Poland!
:rofl:

<Men, you have really specific kind of humor. Yup ! As a Pole I can only admire you. I don't have nerves to play such countries as Russia, Prussia, or Austria-great oppressors of poor Poland. Easy to understand that you may feel same thing (as you surely know in first half of XVII Poland make nice slaughter in sacred Russia). I wish you good luck! :) >

Sometimes I must admit, I look at my nations history and think, "We truly horrible."

Russia have visious horrible history of eternal quest for more land. We very skilled conquerors. We have conquered more than any other nation in world history. I personally very ashamed of my nations bloody past and at same time very proud. It so complicated to be Russian. Polish people are always able to feel like victims. :rofl:

Nice AAR. Fun to see a Polish AAR, too. Playing Poland sure seems to be one hell of a job. Well, you do inherit Lithuania at one point, so that's a pro, but that Sejm sute sounds like a major pain in the ass. Good luck!

Poland: 1563-1587

It seemed as if a oppurtune ally, along with Lithuania and Prussia, had emerged in Sweden. Sweden was great nation to ally with for reasons of defense. They could strike both Russia, Austria, and Germany from their perch in Northern Europe so when they came to us so as to join our alliance, the Polish Sejm of course said no. However, upon deliberation and some back handed deals, which by now were common, Sweden became an ally.

In 1566, the greatest and most profound event in Polish history occured as Poland almost doubled in size. Lithuania formed together with Poland to create the union of two great nations. Poland was now a juggernaut of central Europe. However, envious neighbors were now becoming fearful ones. The Austrians struck back in revenge in 1566 as soon as the union was created. The instability of melding together the two nation gave them a great oppurtunity. After initial advances they however failed miserably and were driven back. Their farthest advance was to Krakow, where they sacked the city and burnt it to the ground.

At the conclusion of the war in 1570, it seemed obvious what needed to be done. Krakow, as capitol was not in the center of the country and it was now a city in ruins. Although money was provided and provisions were made to rebuild the city, the capitol was at first temporarily moved to Warszawa and then in 1572, moved there forever.

In that same year, the long and fruitful Jagellon dynasty ended making way for the Henrykian dynasty. However, the dynasty, having been to weak to impose itself directly, was forced to give into the Sejm's demands for more power once again. However, now the Sejm was slowly transforming from a body of advising aristocrats and nobles who cared little for the people whom they were supposed to represent into a group who was genuinely elected by other middle class men and eventually some land owning peasants. Serfdom was coming to an end out of neccesity. The economic troubles of the past and more to come would force the Sejm to realize it could no longer keep them on the farm. At the same time that they Henrykian articles were made, Poland realized it had no money.

The nation fell into serious debt, a pit so great that it seemed insurmountable. The government was strained with developing and giving infrastructure to a new part of the country, and the Gentry were demanding compensation for their taking part in the war in Austria. As the economy collapsed the gentry lost control of the peasantry leading more towards a system of republican democracy. Eventually, the situation grew so dire, that the Sejm itself refuse to give troops to the king.

It was at this juncture that Stephen Batoriy came to power in Poland. He was a strong leader unafraid to face his own body of government and deal with problems head on.

This era gave birth to a group of generals who were the best ever seen. They battled the Austrians and rebels across the country. Kurbskiy, Lubominskiy, and Radziwill will go down in history as Poland's greatest of warriors.

More great generals were needed in the future. Austria was growing in power in Germany and Russia was rising in the East.

As Zygmunt III Wasa rises to power in 1587, the debt is solved and the economy is on the upturn, the country is large but surrounded on a large and mostly unprotected border by growing powerful and envious states. Can Poland survive? Can they move forward to yet another victory, or will they be crushed like bugs under the weight of giants?

Hi,

good work so far. BTW, don`t bother about the number of posters on your AAR. The number of viewers is the important thing.

Rgds, Oldtimer

An excellent read thus far. I would not have known you did not speak english as a first language had you not said as much at the start of your AAR. I noticed a recommendation for this AAR in the Central BAAR and decided to check it out. I am now glad that I did. Keep up the excellent work, my only complaint is that I too can not see any of the pictures.

Hi there,

Good job for the early days of this AAR. I am anxious to see what's coming next as I have just started a Great Campaign with... Poland. It will be fun to see how the same country / region can evolve using different strategic approaches. Good luck and keep reporting !...

And seeing your maps would be really be great... ;)

I might show you pictures, although someone mite help me by showing me how to do that.

1600-1616: Great time of Expansion and War

The century would begin bloodily enough. This was the time of Poland's greatest generals but also the time of Poland's bloodiest wars. The first battle Poland would have to fight would be one of pure aggresion. The Polish lord in the area had recently been given a land grant that allowed him, improperly to have some territory ove the border. When he began to gate that area in, the Ottoman lord decided to strike back by burning it down.

The Poles had a large army looking for a reason for war and in 1601 war began. The Turks gained the first advantage as the Poles were unprepared. Then in the battle of Tiraspol, the Polish general, Zamojski, now in his prime, attacked and defeated the army of the Ottoman Turks decisively. In 1606 Transylvania, Dobrudja, and Bujak, most of Romania.

Then a dynastic struggle began. The Jesuit king was declined as king of Poland and subsequently through a mix up and a fiasco worthy of Shakespeare, the King of Poland was also the Czar.

The Hapsburgs did not bode well with this and in 1610 they declared war on Poland again. This conflict would continue for many years to come on and off. In the battle battle of Branska in 1614, the long bloody war was in clutches of the Poles. Chuldkiewicz and Zamojski fought well against the Austrians in Hungary as Zygmunt himself, after defeating the Austrians at Branska he moved towards Vienna. Poland however was distraught with Spanish destruction. The population was decimated by the constant war and Russia declared war to take advatnage of the situation in 1616, when peace was made with the Austrians before the Poles could take Vienna. Poland took control of most of Hungary.

Now however Brandenburg and Russia were engaged in bitter war with a decimated Poland.

Could poland stand against them?