• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(32548)

Remember, it ends in 'se'
Jul 28, 2004
Theodoros is an Orthodox principality which occupies a relatively small and uneventful tract of land at the southern end of Crimea; she is stable, backwater, and particularly isolated. Her only neighbors are the catholic Genoese Kerch to the west and the moslem Golden Horde to the north.

But a short time ago, it was not really an unreasonbly bad time to be an Orthodox state. Between increasingly predatory Italians and the the rising star-and-crescent in Turkey, the future of Theodoros is certain, and unpleasant.

That was in 1418. In 1419, the Principality of Theodoros would change forever.

karol-00-initial.PNG

There are four great eminences in Theodoros, each of them attracted from different corners of Christendom by Alexis, the current prince. Alexis is incompetent and flighty -- precisely the sort of monarch who, upon seeing a nation as basically bereft of potential as Theodoros, would set upon the idea of spending much of its hard-earned money on various advisors.

Late in 1418, one of the Prince's underlings called all of the advisors in something of a panic: he had found something 'most fantastic'; how to deal with it was far beyond him, and he sought out the help of any wise men he could find.

Karol was already beginning to regret accepting the money that Prince Alexis offered him to come to Theodoros. He took the job under the mistaken assumption that it was a Genoese principality and working there would allow him freer access to the great center of trade to the west. Now he was rushing as quickly as possible to see one of Alexis's dimwitted attendants' moronic spectacles. He had bet himself that a she-goat had delivered triplets and the Greek swooned from the shock.

When he entered the audience chamber, he immediately realized that he owed himself a dollar.

There it was, sitting on the table: a vibrantly-colored box, three cubits on its longest side, half a cubit on its shortest, and a cubit on the other. It seemed to be made of glass, and a quick look confirmed that the other side of it was glowing. Some kind of obscenely fancy lamp, Karol thought. Alexis probably bought a gross of them from a German huckster...

When he saw the other side of the vibrantly colored box, that train of thought was immediately derailed. What in God's name is this thing? Karol was literate enough in Greek to read the glowing white letters, slowly and deliberately. He turned to the attendant slowly; the nameless courtier nodded at him.

Finally, Karol managed to ask, "Did you find this strange thing with what it asks for?"
The courtier, still in stunned silence, produced two more arcane artifacts: a box about a cubit long, a generous span wide, and an inch thick, covered with what looked like thousands of tiny buttons, and something which looked like nothing so much as a polished stone, both of which hung from a long rubber cord and were made of the same material -- something utterly alien to Karol.

"Obviously not. We shall have to improvise."

"Improvise, Karol m'lord?"

"Improvise. Fetch me a ratkeep, a carpenter, and a locksmith."

After some days of tinkering, Karol finally got the box to work. A Small-gentle Glass Onescore, it called itself. An absurd name for something whose only immediate use seemed to be computing in Arabic numbers, he thought, but he put up with it.

More tinkering would reveal various images on the machine. Soon he learned that the icons -- that is what they called themselves, which seemed blasphemous, but it wasn't as if Karol was too religious anyway -- which seeemed to represent warped parchment were 'folders', which contained similar items. The one entitled 'art' contained images ranging from virtual pieces which brought him to the verge of tears to bizzare people with words floating above their heads which looked as if they were drawn as a blind ox would see humanity, and... multicolored boxes? Misfoldered, Karol decided.

He would study the Small-gentle Glass Onescore for a long time. He became so engrossed in studying it, in fact, that when Wladimir -- who had apparently been similarly occupied with drilling Theodoros's troops and could not arrive at the desperate summons for weeks -- entered the meeting chamber, he was transfixed by a single flowchart and the Russian would need to make a concerted effort to get the Croat's attention.

"Eh? What do you want, your marshallship? Can't you see I'm perfectly busy?"

Wladimir stared at him wetly. "Is this what important military business has been interrupted for?" He circled the odd box and stared self-importantly at the screen.

The flowchart was gone. Karol was momentarily worried until he realized he could summon it up again at the flick of the rat -- for some reason the small-gentle did that when he did not mess with the rat for a while. He prepared to do so when Wladimir scoffed dismissively. "Hah! Apparently they don't have lamps in Crimea. Remind me to kill the worm that sent this summons, Karol; I bid you good day."

The Russian stormed out of the room. The merchant moved the rat and the little pointer -- it looked like a stylized rat's nose, so he supposed he could see the reference -- moved and the dancing flames disappeared, replaced by the flowchart. And he studied on.

Prince Alexis had not seen Karol in weeks when he summoned the merchant again in November 1418. "Your Principal Majesty, I apologize for the delay in my presence; I can only say that I have been touched by the merciful hand of God."

Prince Alexis was gullible to a fault. Even he had a bit of trouble believing the weedy merchant was a vessel of God, though. "Chancellor Karol, we should hope for your sake you have a better excuse than that."

Karol handed him a sheet of notes. Alexis read them with a growing sense of awe.

"You... you really think this will work, Chancellor Karol?"

Karol nodded.

"All of it? To the degree you specify? How? I... we... I mean -- we mean -- Karol, I have decided to place you in the position of proconsul of Theodoros."
"Your principal Majesty, I am relatively certain no such position exists."
"It does now." Alexis smiled. "We have been praying for some miracle to restore our realm to its previous state -- a bastion of Byzantion power. You are that miracle, by all we can see. Go forth and show the heathens of what the divine industry is capable!"

Karol smiled a little and retreated. He was no inventor, and he was hardly the hand of God. One thing he was, however, was damned good at taking notes.

To the small-gentle he would return and read of marginal utility and state-government superstructures and stormproof ships and the steam engine and...

karol-01-initial2.PNG

Throughout 1419, little news came out of Theodoros -- all too little, in fact. The Genoese, whose merchants had once moved freely through the principality, now found themselves unwelcome. Had the sudden change come from someone else -- say, a German state, or Britain -- it would be seen as peculiar. But it was only Theodoros -- 6000 souls ruled by a doddering Greek with no consistent ambitions. What threat could they pose, after all?

Karol's reforms would remove layer after layer of mercantilist doggerel from Theodoric legal code, turn Kaffa into a model, sanitary town, and expand the trade of Theodoros into whichever market was least crowded.

He was working on sealane reform, as seemed to be his wont, when Wladimir stormed into his chambers in a fury. "You seek to make Theodoros a laughingstock? This is an absurd contraption you have ordered me to build; by all proper physics it oughtn't float, and wind tests show that if it does manage to float, regular sailing will capsize the damned thing. Besides which, the parts you have ordered for it lead me to believe you made these plans while drunk! You may not appreicate the position you have been handsomely overpaid for, but by God, I intend to earn every ducat of my pay, and if that means spitting you I have no qualms about doing so!"

Karol pulled a black cube which would accomodate an object not too much larger than a man's head out of a sack. "The cube can form the artifacts thus required."

Wladimir gave Karol his customary boggy look, and wiped a trickle of sweat off one cheek. August in Crimea didn't agree with the Russian at all. "How?"

Karol smiled. "Magic. What do you need?"

Wladimir contemplated for a moment, then smiled devilishly. "A functional scale model of a catapult." He rubbed his hands together, and then let one drop to his side. Karol saw the scabbard on the same and at once understood the gesture. Gulping, he threw a coin into the box.

"What the hell does it need money for?"

"Your guess is as good as mine." Karol pressed a few buttons and closed the box's top. It hummed for a few seconds; the humming stopped. When they opened the box, a wave of steam escaped, revealing a little catapult about six inches tall at its highest point.

Wladimir tested the little device. It worked more than satisfactorily; grumbling, he wrote down a long list of requisitioned parts and handed it to the Proconsul.

The Edesse would be unveiled in April of the following year. It would take months to get the sixty cannons the design demanded in working order, and a tour of Europe to find enough crewmen to man it -- men who were willing to leave their homes, possibly never to return -- and once it was all ready, Karol ordered it out to map the winding coastline of northern Africa...

karol-02-edesse.PNG

:confused:

that was a very historical start....

Thankfully, this is 1.08; neighbor bonuses are capped at $25. Genoa and the Golden Horde are going to be a little ahead of the normal curve, but not by much, like they would have in 1.07.

Unthankfully, this is 1.08, so all the rebels I fight are going to be tech level 60. :eek: Fighting them off gets mean later.

The Edesse went farther and farther from Theodoros, faster than anyone else seemed to believe possible. It reached Algiers in a week, and continued west and south.

One of the old ships couldn't have done that -- and it couldn't have gone much farther, either. Before the introduction of the supply convoys, attrition was too much of a problem. Now? An expedition of many, many miles with no casualties. It was nothing short of astonishing.

The Edesse continued to move down the African coast. By 1423, it reached South Africa, and soon smaller Theodoric ships would bring Crimean Greek settlers there.

Similar efforts farther north, such as in Fernando Po and Muni, were also made -- with little success.

Early in 1424, they reached India. The news was greeted with much enthusiasm by all of Karol's colleagues, and he would receive each of them in order of their appearance at his court...

Of all who received the summons, Wladimir reacted to his first.

"I say we conquer those -- Indians? Whatever they are. If they are as rich as you claim, they will make fine servants."

The single-mindedness of the commander of the military astounded him at times. "Wladimir, they would rebel against us continuously, it would take our entire lifetimes to fully conquer them, it would take centuries to stamp out all of the Hindu and Moslem heresy in India, and our names would be mud for centuries."

"What? For conquering such a little country?"

"This map is not to scale, Wladimir..."

"What the devil do you mean, 'not to scale'?"

"The cartographer, while competent, has chosen to represent Crimea about the size of Britain, because it is most applicable to us, and ironically enough has represented India as about the true size of Crimea because of its relative unimportance."

"What? You mean to say Crimea isn't important?"

"Of course it is, Wladimir. I mean that the map shows India as small because the cartographer didn't like the look of it."

"Okay. So how big is it, really?"

"The entire peninsula is roughly twenty to thirty times the size of our home empire, even counting the lands the Golden Horde currently occupies."

Wladimir shrugged. "So?"

Karol mentally reminded himself to have Wladimir poisoned.

"Besides, it's just a short trip by ship from here! It can't be more than a few hundred miles, from the look of the map."

"Wladimir, the trip takes us around the whole of Africa and some distance besides."

"Then attack them by land! I am sure we can beat them down as soundly as you please."

Karol dwelled on Wladimir's increasingly absurd propositions for a few moments and then as gamely as possible bade him depart at once.

The general had just left when Paul hobbled into the chamber. He was an Orthodox priest who had been shipped from England to serve as a religious advisor. "Once again, Chancellor Karol, I find myself commending you on your excellent work. Today I do so in person. I imagine you want my advice on the situation?"

"Yes, most reverend father, I do."

"Convert the Hindustanis by the sword, then! Show them the true faith by the word or the fire, but allow them to languish no longer in ignorance!"

"Most reverend father, are you aware that converting the whole of the subcontinent would take more money and time than Theodoros is likely to have between now and the Second Coming?"

"What? Why would it cost money to convert them?"

"The majority have, if they have heard of Christ, heard of Him as a messenger of the Moslems' God."

The priest furrowed his brow and wrinkled his nose, as if smelling something he didn't like. "What? How frightfully absurd. Must the Moslems try and corrupt our people as well as their own?"

Karol blinked. "I don't follow you, most reverend father."

"Clearly they have heard of the most holy Gospels through conquering and perverting true Christians, and converting them to their terrible faith of many gods."

"Most reverend father, so far as I am aware, the Moslems have only one God."

"Then who the hell is Mohammed? Are you certain that there are no gods but their own?"

Karol looked faintly irritated at the Englishman's astounding ignorance. "There is no god but God, and Mohammed is His prophet."

Paul blinked again. "There is no god but God and Mohammed is His prophet? And where does Jesus fit into all of this?"

"A messenger, most reverend father. Mohammed is, too, a messenger."

"A messenger? How backwards. I suppose next you'll be telling me they don't revere Mohammed as a product of their pagan God."

"They do after a fashion, most reverend Father."

"After a fashion? Humbug! So the Hindustanis, I take it, are also followers of Mohammed, or Allah, or whoever?"

"No. They follow their own gods."

"Their own gods? Humbug! Even the pagan Jovians followed Gods well-known to us. Have you considered sending them an official complaint?"

Karol was somewhat awestruck. "Lord, give me strength," he muttered under his breath.

"Well, that's what I'd do if I were in charge, anyway. On the behalf of the Church, I insist that some conversion take place. The number of pagans in the world is beginning to bother me; it's bad enough to have snakes in the ranks of Christianity without dealing with such a mess as Mohammed and Allah and the Hindustani multitheists. Your Chancellorship, I am getting ulcers from the absurdity of it all."

Karol decided that perhaps there would come a better time to tell Paul about the Buddhists.

Beauchamp had done Karol a monumentous favor and declined personal audience -- preferring instead to haunt various Orthodox courts convincing them of the righteousness of Theodoros's various causes. The diplomatic advisor reacted to the news in his typical character.

"New nations? How very interesting. If they are not Christian, it shall be rather more difficult to arrange for the glorious union of the principal blood of Alexis to their reverend thrones." Karol stared blankly at the letter, and eventually realized what Beauchamp was getting at.

"Beauchamp: Royal marriage continues to be a folly -- ties will not get us anywhere, we will likely be drawn by semisalic consanguinity into vassaldom, and what's worse, our new partners will know enough about our affairs to ruin our ability to act independently. Advise you cease policy at once -- no royal marriages. Karol"

The response was quick.

"No royal marriages? You do kid, my dear Karol. The daughter of the Lithuanian crown prince will be at Kaffa as quickly as possible; who we have arranged for her to marry is as flexible as she is reported to be. See if you can't get Alexis's sons to bid on her and make a tidy profit yourself."

"What in the hell is this? I didn't receive your letter until it was too late to deal with it and now I have a Lithuanian noblewoman to dispose of. You know as well as I do that all of Alexis's children are married except for one who is five and one who is female. Beauchamp, I am sending the Lithuanian noblewoman back to you because I believe you know how to deal with her. Her virginity will be preserved by the lifeguard I have been forced by your incompetence to assign to her person. Do not make this kind of mistake again. Karol"

"Chancellor: Your prior letter was received but thrown out unread -- attachment corrupted in transit, apparently. Lithuanian prince nonplused, but not particularly angry. Attached to this letter you will find the granddaughter of the Genoese doge, a Swedish woman who we are told has noble blood in her somewhere, and a blood relative of the Ottoman shah. Best regards, Beauchamp."

"Beauchamp: The Genoese doge's granddaughter was apparently told that she was coming here as a term of the annexation of Theodoros by the Genoese attachment of Kerch, and has been returned without qualification. The Swedish woman is very clearly a prostitute, although French women being what they are I suppose I can't fault you for more than ignorance here, and the Ottoman blood relative is firstly a Moslem and secondly a eunuch. Please do not send us any more wives. In addition, I'd like your comments on the recent discovery of India, not royal marriage proposals. Karol"

"Karol: The Genoese doge's granddaughter is a firebrand, isn't she? A pity you declined her offer -- their flag is so catching. It has a very English appeal to it, you know -- better than the cadeucus thing we serve under. I maintain the nobility of the Swedish woman, and as far as the Turkish harem guard goes, we all make mistakes.
As far as India goes, I have attached the neice of the maharam of Trabancore to this letter. Best regards, Beauchamp."

"I will have your head on a pike. Karol"

The chancellor muttered angrily after the exchange with his associates. Clearly his ambitions and those of Theodoros would rest on his shoulders alone.

Last edited: