• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Apr 5, 2004
Dragon of The Eastern Land Triumph or Failure? - A China AAR

This is my first time writing an AAR so don't expect this is going to very good. Any suggestions on the game will be considered and I hope that everyone will enjoy it.

So then, this would be China in GC. Game version : 1.03b VIP 0.3b

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 1 - The Great Rebellion of the Middle Kingdom
It's the year 1835 in mid - december and Emperor Dao Guang is sitting in his reading room staring at the door. The Great Rebellion started a week before and everyone living below the Yangtze is revolting against Manchu Rule. People has been complaining about the useless ruler who left corruption as it is and blocked all ports except Hong Kong. Everyone wanted a change and they realised it was time to revolt. It has been 191 years since the Ch'ng Dynasty started but there weren't anything like it before. His soldiers defended against the rebels but it was no use, 99 out of 100 soldiers defected to the rebel as they realised it was time to change the ruler who had been useless. He is not trusting anyone at all in his court except his private advisor, Xu Zhi Qiang, who had been a loyal servent and friend to him for many years.

All of the sudden the door of his room opens and comes Zhi Qiang.
"My Emperor, an hour ago, a revolt........ a revolt has started!!!" Hardly had he finished his words, Dao Guang interupted.

"So? " the son of heaven said, "what's the big deal, I've recieved news from everyone in the court saying that there has been revolt everywhere, I'm used to it now."

"No My Emperor, the revolt started in Tianjin and it spreaded all over Zhili. In a little time, they will reach the palace. The leader is with his men, I don't know how did he sneak through to Tianjin despite heavy guarding." Replied Zhi Qiang with looks of fear on his face.
Zhi Qiang did not know that the Manchu Guards helped the rebel against their ruler and the Palace Guards have agreed to defect upon the arrival of the rebel leader. Dao Guang's was very shocked upon hearing the news. He did not expect it would be so soon.

"What are you waiting for, let's flee to Manchuria!" the Emperor said to Zhi Qiang. " We shall start over there, quick Zh Qiang before it is too late! I hope the Guards will defend the palace."

Then, he heard men walking into his room. To his surprise it is the rebel leader and his men. All of them were armed, some with muskets some with knifes and some with lances.

"What the!!" said the Emperor, "How did you people get in here. Guards, arrest them all!!"
The men laughed with joy and then, the leader started to speak."Well well well, it's the useless Dao Guang. Ain't it a nice day, Emperor? As we speak, the palace guards have all defected to me and I guess you know my face but don't know my name as i asked everyone the keep it secret. My name is Liu Hong Zhi and I'm a decendent of the great Liu Bang, founder of the Han dynasty. I've been arranging the revolt for 5 years and everyone seemed so helpful to me. Don't worry, you won't be killed today, i shall behead you in public, tomorrow!"

"I admit you are intelligent enough to be planning this kind of revolt. I admire your courage but too bad we are enemies. You would've been a good general to the Ch'ng Dynasty."

"Quit talking. The Ch'ng Dyansty shall fall upon your beheading tomorrow, you useless idiot!. Your sons and wives have been killed and you are the only one left from the Royal Family. I will not serve you, the opressor of the Chinese people!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEXT, THE CORONATION CEREMONY AND SOMETHING FOR A TWIST!

Last edited:
New Chinese aar. Yeehaw.

Great start, it's good to see someone else playing China! I like your style, it's concise and not too wordy, and rebebllion is a quite pleasant and easy way to account for the sudden change in the way China is ruled in 1836.

Poor Daoguang (whose name, btw, means "bright path emperor")...in real life, I think he would have gone down fighting. When he was in his 30s (I think) and an Imperial Prince, a large rebellion actually did occur in the south of Zhili and Honan, by a subsect of the Eight Trigrams/White Lotus. Daoguang and his advisors and personal guard where caught inside the forbidden city when the rebels began seizing Beijing, so the Prince took up a Manchurian recurved bow and a sword, and helped to personally fight the rebels until the Imperial garrisons began to stir themselves.

He was awesome, even if he was a foreign opressor.

Anyway, I'll be watching, and if you have any historical questions, I'd love to try to help.

-Adso

Well well, thanks for the not too wordy part. Actually I can't think of anything to type on so I guess the word wouldn't be that much :)
Good historic facts you really have on China BrotherAdso. You study them a lot I suppose.

Question to anyone who read this, is there a way to type chinese characters the way that everyone can see without some special programs?

The next update would be kind of unrealistic and kind of cheating from the prespective of a gamer. Hope i can make a bigger impact on everyone who reads my aar.
Anyways though, don't expect any updates till the 24th coz I have a camping trip.

Ill help historically if possible.

China can be really powerfull.What are youre goals? Take over the whole of Asia? World conquest?

Atleast conquer Japan. ;)

TheFlemishDuck said:
China can be really powerfull.What are youre goals? Take over the whole of Asia? World conquest?

Atleast conquer Japan. ;)

Well, the title of the AAR says it all. I have no goals, just wanna have fun. Perhaps I'll go for WC if time is enough. I'll play aggresively so perhaps taking the whole of Asia.

Chapter 2 : The Man From The Future

The day after Hong Zhi took Beijing, he made the former emperor Dao Guang knelt and kow-tow in public. The crowds who saw this chanted and threw rotten vegetables at him. This was a kind of humiliation which Dao Guang never had and saw in his live.

"Emperor Dao Guang, or should I say useless Manchu fool, " Hong Zhi began, "It's your time to die now. As the new Emperor, I shall behead you in public which was as promised to the people who helped me in this rebellion." Hong Zhi thought for a while and asked, "Any last words?"

"I'm...........I'm amazed by your ability to coordinate such a grand rebellion to overthrow me. I hope you will govern the country fair and........"

"That's enough, it's almost noon and I have no time for you to talk nonsense" said Hong Zhi.

After that, Hong Zhi threw the command stick written with the word "chop" and the beheading began. The crowd cheered with joy as the head of Dao Guang fell into the floor.

Few moments later, back in the Forbidden Palace..
"You summonned me?" asked the new Prime Minister, Jin Feng

"Yes Feng. I have thought for a long time and decided that the new capital will be in Shanghai. It's strategic enough for us to govern the people living in the north and in the south. I want the new palace in Shanghai to be completed in one year. In the mean time, we shall stay in Beijing. The coronation ceremony which is tomorrow shall be held in here as well. I want no mistakes on these issues." Hong Zhi said to his Prime Minister. "By the way, any questions?"

"Very well my emperor, I shall arrange the building of the new palace in Shanghai." replied Jin Feng. "My Emperor, what is the name of the new empire and what about the Manchu Dragon Flag?" asked the Prime Minister.

"I shall annouce the name in the ceremony tomorrow. I want the flag to stay as it is but the new name for the Flag shall be The Dragon Flag. I want this news to be announce to the public as soon as possible," said the Emperor.

The Next Day.....
The coronation ceremony began this day and everyone in the kingdom was in a party mood. Hong Zhi also have happy looks on his face. This kind of expression have never been seen in the past five years as he was coodinating the rebellion at the time.

"Long live the king," said the loyal troopers and newly appointed Ministers.

"Today," said Hong Zhi, "I shall start a evolution in China's foreign policy. But first I shall annouce the new name of the Empire. The name is Tian Wei meaning Sky Dominace. I shall govern the country according to this policy." Hong Zhi had a sip of tea and continued, "My loyal subjects, for many years the country has adopted a friend ly and non-expansionist Empire. At the time when I was doing my study in the USA, everyone said about the useless former Emperor and about the Chinese economy." Hong Zhi thought for a while and continued, "It shall be change and the Tian Wei Empire shall show them which is the greatest country in the world. China shall not stay in darkness."

After Hong Zhi's speech everyone clapped loudly. Applauding and cheering for the Empeor.

Suddenly, a sound from outside interuppted the ceremony. "Let me go, I'm from the future. Let me go." Hong Zhi left his Dragon Throne and headed outside. To his surpise, he saw someone wearing clothes which he never seen before and the man looked Chinese but his hair was colourful.

"Guards, let the man go, I shall talk to him," Hong Zhi began. "Who are you and what are you doing in here. It is an offence for something like that but I shall forgive you as this is my coronation ceremony today."

"Coronation what?" said the man. "I thought Emperor Dao Guang lives some more years before his son succeded him. What's going on?"

"I am the new Emperor of China and this day is the first day and page of history in the Tian Wei Dynasty. Now tell me who are you." said Hong Zhi in rage as he was annoyed for not being answered what he asked.

"Sorry Emperor. My name is Hung Chun Tian. I'm from the the future, from the year 2004." said Chun Tian.

Hearing this, the Ministers and guards was shocked but they burst out with laughter. It was ridiculous to believe such words. Remarkably, Hong Zhi remained silent. He belief the man as he looked very very weird.

"I believe you," said Hong Zhi. Everyone went silent. "So, what do you want?"

"In two minutes, I shall leave here and go back to my time," began the man hurriedly. "Emperor, in the future, The Ch'ng Dynasty stayed until 1911. Although everything has changed here but I wish to tell you opium shall be the main reason of war in many years to come. Build up the defence quickly and defend the province of......." hardly had he finished when he vanished into thin air.

Eveyone remained silent for a moment. Hong Zhi was also puzzled. Who in the world would attack him. Why did he say opium will be causing wars. Hong Zhi was very very confused.The coronation ceremony ended and Hong Zhi soon stayed on his Dragon Throne thinking of who will attack
him. Why would someone like Chun Tian warned him about something like that.

"My Emperor, everyone did not belief what that man said. Perhaps he is a ghost saying nonsense to make all of us blur. Maybe the man knew magic." said Jin Feng in disbelief of what was happening before.

"Jin Feng, I believe the man. From many years studing in USA, I've learnt that things do happen and there is no magic trick like that. I belief in ghosts but I don't think ghosts come out in daytime." replied Hong Zhi. "I shall build up my defence and plan for the nation's future. I hope the man is right in his words. I want the eveyone in palace to keep this secret. Anyone disobeying my orders shall have their head fallen onto the ground.

Last edited:
Chapter 3 - Beginning of a New Era

June 9th, 1836
Hong Zhi was still puzzled by the words the man said on his coronation ceremony although 6 months have past. For six months, he was helped to improve the Chinese ecnomy, taxes were change, tarrifs implemented into Chinese income.And then, he remembered that he wanted to expand. Expand into Asia.He had few options, it was Russia, Korea, Burma, Luang Prabang or Annam. Russia in the north seemed impossible so he delayed it to the future. He did not had enough man for the agonizing campaign. So, Burma and Annam will be it.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

And thus, began the expansion of South East Asia.

April 25th, 1837
Hong Zhi was sitting in his newly built palace in Shanghai, thinking of which country to attack next. His new palace in Shanghai had a striking resemblence to the Forbidden City in Beijing. But then, the new palace was bigger, there were forts surrounding the palace making it safer from attacks

The20Magestic20Forbidden20City.jpg

A view of the new palace

Next, it was Annam.
Clipboard03.jpg

All of Hong Zhi plans was going nicely, It was Siam to be attacked next. But suddenly, Jin Feng came to him and gave him bad news.

"Emperor," Jin Feng said with sad expressions on his face, "Our campaign in Annam was a disaster, our low morale troopers cannot fight with them. I hope you would end this war, Emperor."

Hong Zhi looked at Jin Feng and began, "Then send in more troops to help the attack. We have troopers on the new British India borders do we? Send them in, I don't think they would attack us not?"

"No Sire, the British Empire has expanded their economy of Opium Trade into Guangzhou, they are eating our economy badly. Funds are low and we need every cent to help our income. Moving the troopers from the border will eat up our money for the economy." Jin Feng added. "By the way Sire, Annam pose no economy advantage to our vast empire. I think we should just end this war and concentrate on building defences and wait for the war the man from the future said before."

"Very well, end the war then, end the war with Annam, but i want every piece of occupied land demanded from the Annamese King," said Hong Zhi in disappointment.

A few days later, news came from Annam saying the King of Annam has accepted a peace treaty. Hong Zhi was sadden and disapponted with the news.

123.jpg

Chinese gains after the attacks on South East Asia

But he thought about the quality of his troopers, they were all irregulars called up for duty. Their quality was low compared to the American army he saw when he was staying in USA. He thought about asking for Technology from Russia but relations weren't good enough, he had to wait......

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next, The Words That Became Reality.

Last edited:
Heretic said:
Uh-huh,
I take it that you intend to try and remain friends with Russia then?
You do have a rather large border to secure..

Heretic

I do think so. Maybe later I'll attack them coz i don't have the technology and men to attack them due to the VIP that requires clothes for man conversion. By the way, the war against the Brits has started.

What is your prestige at? Have you been buying cement and lumber and making claim buildings? You will need to do this if you wish to civilize early.

I'm playing in VIP so i don't think i need to build claim buildings coz the restriction is until 1870 or something. My prestige is at around 27 IIRC.

I was hoping that someone would give me a good and fast civilizing strategy, Perhaps civilize before 1850. Anyone help me please?

Expect updates tomorrow. Can't promise it's good tough.

Chapter 4 - The Europeans Declare War!

The next two years after the disastrous Annam campaign was peaceful. Hong Zhi didn't build new defense because he was waiting for some tech trades with Russia. Ministers who believe the words of the man from the future objected his move as this would be a great mistake. But then, Opium trade had been eating away Chinese taxes. Hong Zhi decided that it was time, it was time to eliminate the trade of Opium in China.

Jan 6th, 1839, The Imperial Gardens of Shanghai.
Hong Zhi walking around with his Governor of Guangzhou, Lin Zexu.
Today, I want to give you an assignment, an assignment that would help our
"Lin Zexu, " Hong Zhi began, "I trusted you because you helped me in my rebellion against the Manchu few years ago. Since then, we have never met. economy."

"My Emperor," Lin Zexu said, "I'm honoured to hear that you still trust me. I thank you for apointing me as the Governor of Guangzhou. So, my Emperor, what is it that you with to ask me to do?"

"The trade of Opium in Guangzhou. They are hurting our economy. I have had enough of those Europeans ruining our economy. I want you to burn all Opium in Guangzhou and order them to sign a treaty.,In the treaty, it will say that no one will be allowed to trade Opium again.Have I made myself clear?"

"Of course my Emperor, I shall head to Guangzhou as soon as possible."

June 4th, 1839 - The Imperial Reading Chamber.
It has been six months of waiting for the news from Lin Zexu. Hong Zhi was waiting eagerly to recieve the news.

And then, Lin Zexu went into the Reading Chamber. "My Emperor," Lin Zexu said, "I've succeeded in eliminating the trade of Opium in Guangzhou.

Hong Zhi nodded and his face gave a smile.

"But it is sadly to inform you that the Europeans refused to sign the treaty. The Britishers of which had the most possessions of Opium in China, was outrage with the Chinese government."

Hong Zhi thought and said " Alright then, congratulations upon your success. But I fear that this would lead to war with Britain, just as the man from the future said. Although everything has changed here but I wish to tell you opium shall be the main reason of war in many years to come"

Upon the elimination of Opium trade in Guangzhou, the British prepared for war. They had been involved in another war, the Arostook war with the USA. Hong Zhi knew about this so he thought that this would made the Brits delay or cancel their plan to invade China. This will leave him enough time to prepare and build up his defences.

July 8th, 1839 - The Morning Assembly in the Main Chamber.
Jin Feng rushed into the Chamber with a face of shock as he delivers the news. " My Emperor, The United Kingdom and it's ally, the British India has declared war on us. Our border in India is not safe as the troopers in the Indian border are outnumbered."

Hong Zhi was shocked upon hearing the news. He quickly ordered the libaration of Burma as a diplomatic wall against the Indians.
1burmaliberatingdefensetact.jpg

Hong Zhi hoped this will give him more time to prepare for war. But out of he blue, the Russians declared war, he knew this will be a major disadvantage of offense to him. He was curious that the Russian declared war. He thought again and knew that perhaps history could not be change. so, he ordered 50 irregulars to be built for border defense to be build. He had planned for the invasion of Korea before but it seems that his plans had to be delayed. Hong Zhi was depressed with these news.

January 1st, 1840 - Imperial Reading Chamber
Jin Feng went into the chamber and gave him more bad news.
"My Emperor, the British India forces have landed on Suzhou, in few weeks time, they will reach the palace. Fortunately I have ordered troopers to attack them. They will reach Suzhou in 1 month."

"Very well," Hong Zhi's face grew red. "I want the Suzhou offense to be success. Shanghai shall not be taken!!"

The Suzhou offense succeded, but there were more still to come.....

2suzhouoffense.jpg

Suzhou offensive