• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(11366)

Khan of the Crimea
Oct 21, 2002
bgreinhart.wordpress.com
In the 1300s all of Europe fell apart. The great kingdoms of old were reduced to city-states, of which there was no shortage. The Iberian Peninsula, where our focus lies, split into the following realms: the Duchies of Gerona, Navarre, Catalonia, Valencia, Cantabria, Asturias, Oporto, Leon, Estramadura, Tago, Algarve, Andalusia, Toledo, Murcia, Granada, and Gibraltar, as well as the Kingdoms of Galicia, Aragon, and Castilla. The whole land was confusion. All countries controlled just one of what we will call for the sake of clarity “provinces”, and all had territorial claims on their neighbors. It was indeed a daunting situation for a small country which wanted to rise to global dominance.

One such country was the tiny Duchy of Estramadura, which had but one advantage above the others: its capital, Badajoz, was a renowned trading center on the Iberian Peninsula, and attracted merchants from all over the region. Its ruler, Duke Roberto IV, died in 1400, leaving two sons. Twins. How could they choose who ran the nation? They split it up. Duke Enrique II and Duke Fernando I shared the crown, each making decisions and each with the right to veto the other’s decisions (much like the consuls of Rome).

Duke Enrique II was famous for his eating habits. It took him just 18 years of rule to turn into a true monster of a man. He weighed in at slightly over 350 pounds and there was no end in sight.

On Christmas Day, 1418, there was a great feast, as usual. Duke Enrique pushed back from the table at the end and excused himself to go to his chamber. It took him quite a while to get there, even though the hallways had been widened so he could fit in them. When his brother went up to check on him an hour later, Enrique II was dead. The doctors said it was heart failure, that nobody’s heart could pump such a massive body. His brother, now sole ruler, would always insist that Enrique simply ate too darn much.

The nation went into mourning, but not for long. That the Duke had died at the end of the Old Year was considered a sign from God, and to bolster the peasantry's impression that God was giving the nation a new future, Duke Fernando usurped the throne on the first day of the new year.

And so it was that Duke Fernando I was crowned sole ruler of Estramadura on New Year’s Day, 1419. It was the dawn of a new era.

OOC Introduction & Index

The first part of this AAR (up to 1439) was written one full year ago. Since then I have delayed its publication for ages - but the time has finally come.

This AAR is dedicated to Kaigon, the author of the terrific Independent Europe Scenario, which is based on the premise that all the provinces of Europe are countries, and all the countries are only one province. You get casus bellis against all your neighbors, and you get 2 to 3 “historical” commanders at a time, of varying quality. Needless to say, I’ve never had this much fun in any EUII scenario. Of course, I had never had a “badboy” rating of 122 before, either.

This AAR is my tribute/advertisement for the Independent Europe Scenario. I am playing as Estramadura. This is probably a really bad omen, but I have forgotten what the aggressiveness/difficulty settings were. I have finished the game. I will finish this AAR. Or at least try to.

And a special apology to heagarty for swiping his Gluttonic Nation idea to explain Duke Fernando's rise to power.

:)

[AnchorLink=spain1419]Map of Spain, 1419[/AnchorLink]
[AnchorLink=part1]Part I: Amidst a Sea of Principalities[/AnchorLink]

Last edited:
When I was reading "when his brother went up to check on him," I began to wonder how someone so large wasn't dead. Then I read "Enrique II was dead." Ah. :p I'll definitely be following this AAR

Well, what can I say?

FINALLY!

And guess what! I think I'll be following this one... :)
Oh, I could thank you for the dedicating this to me... but I'll wait until you've finished it... ;)

(Additional appropriate links for the IES can be found in my sig)

[Anchor=spain1419].[/Anchor]
SPAIN 1419

iesspain.GIF

(OOC: Let me know if you can see that)

Last edited:
[Anchor=part1].[/Anchor]​
Part I: Amidst A Sea of Principalities

Soon all of Iberia had plunged into war. Many nations declared war upon each other. Diplomacy was not seen as important; Duke Fernando managed to seal a royal marriage with Aragon, but had several other offers rejected (much to the dismay of the bride-to-be, who plunged into depression at the thought of being rejected). Aragon, however, entered an alliance with Valencia before the Duke could make the same offer. The Duke cast about for an ally.

On January 6, 1420, he found an ally. The small mountain nation of Asturias, far north in the Cantabrian range of hills, was only just recovering from a war with a mighty alliance of Galicia and Oporto. They were rather weak after being ravaged by the war (which they ended only by paying off over 275 ducats), and so were much inclined to befriend anybody.

To the south, the Muslim heathens of Andalusia annexed the Duchy of Toledo.

On September 6, 1420, Estramadura finally stepped onto the world stage. Duke Fernando declared war on neighboring Castilla. The nation was temporarily plunged into turmoil by the thought of war, which was only worsened by the news that Cantabria in the north had annexed Bearn in France and was marching to Navarra. It seemed now Estramadura was surrounded by present and future enemies.

It was only on October 8, over a month after the declaration of war, that the National Army arrived in Castilla, where it won a battle easily and began to lay siege to Madrid. In November came news that the city of Tago in Portugal had annexed Algarve, its southern neighbor. In December the Duke married off a royal relative to a nobleman from Navarre, and the month after came news that the Muslims of Andalusia had expanded their empire still larger, annexing Granada.

Meanwhile, Duke Fernando suddenly realized that he had made a serious oversight: Castilla was not only at war with Estramadura, but also fighting against Leon, the Duke’s northern neighbor. The enemy Kingdom announced the annexation of Leon on March 8, 1421, and its army there began marching towards Madrid. The Duke personally commanded in a string of battles that followed and ultimately resulted in victory for Estramadura.

Meanwhile, more hostile behavior arose, this time in the east of Iberia. Catalonia had annexed the Kingdom of Aragon and was now at war with Valencia. To the south, Andalusia began to fight a new war, against Gibraltar. The peninsula was already dividing into several powers.

-----

Soon Cantabria in the north annexed Navarre (leaving one of the Duke’s lady relatives a widow), Catalonia annexed Valencia, and Andalusia annexed Gibraltar, making the last the sole ruler of all Moorish provinces in Spain. There was only a bit of good news: Estramadura now was one of the surviving powers, having taken Leon from Castilla and making the Kingdom its new vassal state.

In early 1423, the philosopher Don Juan Aranjeuz theorized that the Earth revolved around the Sun, and not vice versa. He also supposed that Earth had been created many thousands of years before 4004 B.C., as the Church taught. The nation was plunged into chaos when the Duke announced his decision in the matter: free the man, and let him continue to study. After this the church was less charitable towards the Duke’s needs, although that would soon be remedied.

About 8 months after this, the government of the Kingdom of the Balearic Islands, which had only recently been discovered by Duke Fernando’s spies, was overrun by unhappy rebels. The former leaders were executed (and after that thrown into the Mediterranean, in the hope that sharks would be attracted to the bodies), and a new government put in its place. This new government roundly rejected a proposal put to it soon after its rise—a proposal of alliance with the Duchies of Estramadura and Asturias. In the new year of 1425, a new ruler rose in the island kingdom, and a year and a half later joined the alliance his predecessors had so flatly refused.

HISTORICAL NOTE: Estramadura would always have rather lukewarm relations with The Kingdom of the Balearic Islands. While the two countries would retain royal marriages for several centuries, and the two would share an alliance for several decades, on the whole the Kingdom was not at all enthusiastic about their destined-for-glory neighbors. The Kingdom would never expand beyond its home archipelago, and it would never have any special interests with Estramadura until centuries later, when in less than 20 years it would be wooed into an alliance, vassalized, and peacefully annexed.

[OOC: Unfortunately through severe mental lapse I did not take any screenshots until 1500...sorry! But after 1500 they come frequently and in large numbers :) ]

Last edited:
The picture is visible.
EDIT: Good update as well :D

Last edited:
Kaigon said:
Great start Hajji!
Shame on the fact of no screenies until 1500, but I'm looking forward to it :)

By the way, since this is ~1 year old, what version of the IES is it?
Uh, I have no idea...whatever version you were on last summer
:D In this version, though, you had not yet moved on to adding new countries in Scandinavia and Turkey - so it was before Johan's 1.07b I think...

I'm not trying to usurp your AAR, Hajji, but maybe this will motivate you to continue with your AAR. I downloaded IES, played it and I'm having a great time with it.

A few screen shots:
IES_Saxony.jpg

I'm playing as Saxony (the deep red country in Germany) and am doing well. Holland, managed to put together all the dutch provinces and formed the Netherlands (dark blue) but I guess is now forever stuck with only dutch culture (as I understand culture nations). Lancashire is trying their best to conquer England (the deep red in England and Ireland. I know it looks like the capital is in Northumberland, but trust me that it's Lancashire), but since they share the same colour as me, I might just have to take them out :p

IES_Georgia.jpg

And in other parts of the world, Georgia is doing fine around the Black Sea.

I'm sure Kaigon is happy another person has converted to IES :)

P.S. Do you prefer Hajji, Giray, or the whole name?

It will end when the entire forum elects you God. :D :D :D Incidentally, Troggle, I'm glad you're enjoying it - isn't it the best???!! And I don't mind what people call me as long as it's spelled right...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In late 1429, after many years of quiet, an enormous scandal erupted. As it turned out, one of the nobles in charge of the army had been secretly diverting army spending (even at the cost of canceling the recruitment of 2000 soldiers) towards his own private purposes, buying a new mansion and paying 20 expert gardeners to bring in flowers and shrubs from all over the peninsula. The entire country was in a furor, especially the Duke, who had wanted army spending to be as high as possible, to accommodate future plans. The noble was stripped of his titles and all of his estate was sold, with every ducat of the profits going to the government. [OOC: We went with Try to Reform in Corruption event.]

On September 11, 1431, Duke Fernando made a move which many in the country deemed rash and irresponsible: a move which put Estramadura directly against the greatest power in Iberia. The Duke declared war on mighty Andalusia, masters of Toledo and all of southern Spain. It was a war many thought would end in horrible defeat. The Duchy of Asturias, long the Duke’s ally, left the alliance rather than join the war (The Kingdom of the Balearic Islands joined the war). But the Duke was confident of victory. And just a month later, the northern superpower of Cantabria declared war on the now friendless Asturias. Serves them right, the Duke bitterly thought.

On October 27, a Muslim army invaded and attacked the capital city of Badajoz. What would happen next would startle many…

After fighting several battles against the invaders, Badajoz fell to the armies of the Muslim heathens. Andalusia had captured the capital. The year was 1432.

Uh...........................yeah. :D

:eek: (I haven't had EUII for that long and I haven't exactly memorised the city names :D)

I finally got around to downloading this last night, and played around a bit as Aragon. I conquered three countries, and then I attacked Leon, failing to take into account that they had A. An army that had helped me siege castile, which was still there B. Another army in Leon C. Allies.

Sensing my weakness, Navarra and one of the Moslems, I can't remember which, declared war also.

People complain about the AI refusing reasonable peace offers, but I was refusing every one they sent me until they captured all of my provinces and forced a peace. I had been just about to retake one of them, also.