• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aug 1, 2001
Visit site
I was challenged to do this AAR by Van Engel. So here it is. The goal is fairly simple; WC as Helvetia. I boasted that is would be easy because of Catholic/Latin Tech. So I have to prove myself right.

1419-1421: Setting the stage. First, I have to break out of the poor-minor role I had cast for myself. So I attacked Savoy with my first diplomat. While I was beating on Savoy, I was DOWd by Milan (bastards!) who marched in Schwyz. So I finished up with Savoy, vassalizing them and taking Piedemonte for my first port. WOO HOO! Then I turned on Milan and annexed them while their army was sieging Schywz. Stupid AI. Now I own your army too! This shot my BB up to 11 though, so I had to ally with Mantua, Papal States, and Austria for some protection. Now I will wait for some good opportunities to arise.

post-2-1089489656.jpg

1421-1423: Bringing out the big guns

I now turn my attention north. In what will probably be my last non-CB DOW for a long long time, I DOW Wurtemburg and her allies Bavaria and Wurzburg join. I call for my allies and Austria drops, to be expected. However, Mantua re-invites them as I expected and they join the war while Wurtemburg is getting mauled attacking me in Schwyz. So I move in. Despite having no leaders, I was able to set myself up to take over the siege of all 3 capitals (letting Austria take Ansbach) then vassalizing each one in turn. This was a great boon since now I have 4 vassals and am allied to Austria. So I can sit on my duff for a bit and wait for diploannexation time.

post-2-1089490764.jpg

Things are continuing smoothly. France and Castile each DOWd me for my BB. But I didnt call my allies (so they wouldnt break and turn on me too) and put my army in Piedemonte. I was able to get 30+ WS on each alliance winning battles in Piedemonte and then took all their money at the peace table. Nice. Savoy got annexed by France though. A shame, but acceptable at this point since I cant defeat France yet.

Tuscany and her alliance of annoying minors DOWd me. I was forced to regulate on them and vassalize both Moden and Tuscany. They are on the chopping block now and act as a nice buffer to the south.

Baden and Strausberg DOWd me too. I vassalized the Straussberg morons, but Baden was an Austrian vassal so I had to annex them, driving my BB even higher. Since I would be getting more BB wars when peace expires, I decided to drop out of Austrian alliance to see if they were going to hit me too. So I dishonored when they attack Croatia but they have yet to attack me. I have added a few of my vassals to my alliance and now I just have to wait a decade and begin the annexations.

post-2-1089494272.jpg

good luck...

don't let the bb-war kill you :D...

Hehe, I think I'll follow this one. :D

BREAK OUT TIME!

This was definitely a breakthrough moment in Swiss history. Through god-like maneuvering to avoid the AI Zombie Hordes, I defeated France in two wars gaining 3 territories (Savoie, Dauphine, and Provence). France is now cut off from the Mediterranian. I managed to set up Modena to annex Mantua and rape the Papal States. Wurzburg has gobbled up Mainz.

The independence of Bavaria and Wurtemburg has ended after 30 years of vassalage. Wurtemburg actually broke vassalage and Bavaria munched them up before I annexed THEM. :D So nice.... Strausberg was annexed by Burgundy while I was snagging Savoie, so I had to whip Burgundian ass to get the territory back (minus a lot of trouble, so this was really nice). I have just diplo-annexed Modena as well, extending my reach into Italy.

Genoa and Bohemia were placed under vassalge due to bizarre circumstances. :D (Planned of course). A veritable horde of allied troops were decimated trying to land in Piedemonte while I was fighting a Genoa-led alliance. So many, in fact, that I was able to force vassalage on her through combat warscore and holding her capital. No need for fleets, they come to me! HAHAHAHAA! Bohemia was snagged by me sending a tiny army to siege their capital while my vassal armies ravaged her like a whore. So now I have eliminated one source of pain in my life; Bohemian hordes of doom. Bohemia also acts as nice buffer against Poland who is desperate to kill me.

My primary strategy so far has been three-fold. First, I have tried to keep a vassal shield around me. When I am attacked, I call my vassals if I want to fight. If I am worried about fighting, I just leave my vassals out of it and the enemy just mulls around on the other side of the "vassal wall of safety". This was useful against the North Germans and Bohemia because I could control whether I wanted to fight the BB war or not. The second tier of my strategy has been to avoid the AI Zombie Hordes and sneak around them to siege flanking provinces (like Savoie while France sends 80k to starve in Bern). The third tier has been to allow vassal to absorb costly BB hits (like Mantua or Mainz) and then diplo-annex them for less BB.

I am running the beta patch, but even if I was 1.08 it wouldnt matter because I am fully decentralized and moving my land/quality sliders to max has been more important to me so far. However, later on it will become important since I will not take centralization hits for diplo-annexations. Innovative is next on the move list so that I can push ahead. I am currently researching pure infra tech and I am about to reach infra 3. I have inflation of only 1 percent (from ignoring corruption in random event). Force-vassalizing people and taking their cash has kept my treasury well-stocked. Additionally, far away countries like to declare BB wars on me and then send 2k streams to die and give me war score. Then I peace out for a hundred ducats or so and build more troops! HAHAHAHAHAHA

post-2-1089500920.jpg

This is my last post for today. I may play again some tommorow, but I dunno.

Papal States?

Er, large part of your story appears to be missing, mr. ryoken.

I'd like to see more details, really.

I mean, c'mon, now ... be honest as honest can be.

:D

Interesting Ryo.

I am looking forward to seeing what you plan to do about the near certainty of civil war when over the BB limit in the latest patches.

I assume you're at full aristocracy already and will be going fully centralised as a matter of priority to reduce (slightly) the civil war risk.

TPC. be more specific. You have confusificated me (a Dubya term).

Owen, I havent had enough time to maximize my combat stats, much less move my economic sliders. I get like no events though except random and I start out with FULL plutocracy. So that would take a while to move, assuming I think the payoff is worth it.

The End

post-2-1089576390.jpg

In an exhilarating 3-way gang attack from France, Austria, and Burgundy, I was able to kill enough of their wandering soldiers to build upon the warscore of my AI vassals and force-vassalization upon these turds. At this point, I believe that WC is proven to be very possible. I, however, have lost interest since all that remains from here on out is to do the boring work.

I like the early ass-kicking period the best and that period is now over. So here is your proof, Van Engel. I feel vindicated. :D

Now I may or may not do a real AAR instead of this "Nah Nah, I told you so" one. I dunno yet. I am kinda busy.

ryoken69 said:
In an exhilarating 3-way gang attack from France, Austria, and Burgundy, I was able to kill enough of their wandering soldiers to build upon the warscore of my AI vassals and force-vassalization upon these turds. At this point, I believe that WC is proven to be very possible. I, however, have lost interest since all that remains from here on out is to do the boring work.

I like the early ass-kicking period the best and that period is now over. So here is your proof, Van Engel. I feel vindicated. :D

Now I may or may not do a real AAR instead of this "Nah Nah, I told you so" one. I dunno yet. I am kinda busy.
Ok... Trying again at this one, hopefully suceeding this time :D

Impressive stuff, but it may be that the changes implementing civil wars over the BB limit mean WC is impossible in the latest betas.

This fact means that you must go full aristocracy as a priority for WC. With the current rules, badboy reduction is nearly infinitely more important than morale.