• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(11464)

Second Lieutenant
Oct 29, 2002
Visit site
Henry5th.jpg

The year is 1419 and a tall slim man with a ruddy complexion and short dark cropped hair rules England. His name is Henry V.

England has been fighting for decades in France and the war seems as unwinnable as it ever did. Despite a brilliant victory in 1415 at the Battle of Agincourt the French fight on. Their manpower appears to be bottomless and indeed France is the most populous nation in Europe. Quantity appears to be winning out over quality.

Henry decides to win one last spectacular victory in the hopes it will destroy the will power of the French to continue the fight.

He leads his entire army in northern France southeast towards Ile de France and engages a large French army. The battle was quick and decisive and the French are forced to flee the field. Henry feels the French crown is now his for sure. He marches south to defeat an army besieging his Burgundian allies and is again victorious.

But soon news arrives that the English army in Northuberia is hard pressed to keep the Scots out. Henry acts immediately and marches north with his army and boards ships bound for northern England.

When his army lands after a naval victory over the small Scottish fleet they move north and quickly sweep away all Scottish resistance. Within a year all of Scotland has fallen to Henry and King of Scotland becomes his vassal.

In France the English are led by the talented commander Bedford. He leads his army northeast against Frances allies and to Henry's horror Bedford and his entire army are destroyed and with him all hope for a united England and France.

Henry dies not long after of dysentery at the age of 35 in 1422.

Last edited:
Good I like the start, however your screen shot isn't working at the moment.

"The English are best! So up with the English and down with the rest!"

Hey you know that there's another AAR that was recently started, a rhyming English one.

Go English! Keep it up great start. There is another English AAR newly started so you have some competetion. :D

Heh, in my English game I completely forgot about Bedford until the war was over.

Looks like you've taken a different route than I did, focusing on Scotland rather than France. Let's see how they end up comparing.

I was purposely careless in France cause I didn't want a very unhistoric English conquest of France. Careless meaning I didn't raise any more troops than I was given in the beginning and I left Bedford to fight France and all its allies with less than 20,000 men.

The main reason for my AAR was to practice drawing on my computer but my freewebpage won't allow me to show my pictures on other webpages. :(

I wanted to have 1 or 2 pictures for each king.

The one in my last post is of Henry V accepting the vassalization of the Scottish King. I'm using the book Kings & Queens of England & Scotland as a reference.

Squid:

Try the following for your graphics:

When you upload them to your free server, change the suffix to .txt. (For example, "Henry.jpg" becomes "Henry.txt"). Of course you then have to update your image command here as well. Then see if it works.

My server also doesn't like graphics links (and it's not even free!), so this is how I get around the restriction.

Great AAR!!! Really interesting and different. But... didn't Henry V die in *idontrememberwhich* Woods in france in 1422???
seeing as this is alternative history, though, great reason for his death!

Really cool!

Th :rofl:

It seems to me entirely possibly that you could die of dysentery in some French woods - which I believe is precisely what Henry V did! ;) Interesting AAR by the way - I'm looking forward to the self-drawn piccies!

Henry6th.jpg

Henry VI (1422-1461, 1470-1471)

Henry was the only son of his father Henry V. He was tall like his father but not strong. He had a small clean shaven face and short curly brown hair. He dressed in black and wore farmers round-toed boots. Being a devout Christian he also wore a hair-shirt next to the skin.

After his fathers reign England lost all of its territories in France. The king of Burgundy no longer supported the English claim to the French throne.

Henry VI knowing returning to France to expand his realm was out of the question now turned his eyes to the west to the impoverished land of Ireland.

When he succeeded his father as “King of England” as an infant of 8 months he was given the title “Lord of Ireland”. Yet only the eastern coast was held by England.

Knowing it was well within his power to take the entire island he sent his loyal relative Richard Neville better known as “Warwick” with the entire English army to Dublin.

Henry was somewhat troubled by the ruthless decision he had made for he was at heart a pacifist, but he knew he must make a name for himself lest he appear weak. His ambitious relatives known as the Lancastrians would be looking for any excuse to unseat him.

The near defenseless island soon fell when its small 7,000 man army was broken and scattered with little effort by Warwick and his men. The King of Ireland agreed to become a vassal of England and pay a yearly tribute to England as did Scotland.

However, Henry was soon to learn his plans would not work out as he had planned. James king of Scotland, Henry’s own vassal proved he was willing to be far more ruthless.

James on hearing of the vassalization sent his army in like vultures to feast on the remains. He soon added most of Ireland to his Kingdom leaving the destitute Irish King only Belfast for himself.

A few years latter Henry tried to strike up a friendship with the now poverty-stricken Irish king and sent him many gifts including fine riding horses, French wine, hunting dogs and one of Henry’s most prized jeweled crucifixes. The Irish King to show his appreciation agreeded to ally himself with Henry.

At home in England Henry proved an ardent supporter of education and culture. He was particularly fond of architecture and he had commisioned the elaborate construction of Eton College and King’s College, Cambridge.

In 1444 Henry married Margret of Anjou to seal the truce with France. Six years later she gave birth to a son. At the same time the heir was born Henry suffered a paralytic stroke which left him mentally incapable.

Henry’s uncles decided to cause trouble. And this trouble became known as “The War of the Roses”.

Prior to Henry’s child being born Richard Duke of York was set to be next in line to the throne. After the child was born he still saw himself as the heir.

Another uncle of Henry’s John Beaufort Duke of Somerset claimed the throne as well. He was killed however in the battle against Richard in 1444.

Richard allied himself with his son Edward Earl of March and with a powerful family of nobles the Nevilles. After being captured at the battle of Tewkesbury Henry’s wife had Richard executed.

Henry recovered from his stroke but was soon incapacitated once more when he was wounded by an arrow in the neck at the battle of St. Albans.

Richards son now calling himself King Edward IV defeated Henry’s wife Margaret and forced her, Henry and their son to flee to Scotland.

Edward later captured Henry in 1465 and imprisoned him in the Tower of London.

Edward4th.jpg

Edward IV (1461-1470, 1471-1483)

Edward was a tall man of 6 feet in height and had long straight brown hair. He was a handsome playboy with countless mistresses and bastard children.

Edward’s father Richard Duke of York was executed after the battle of Wakefield when claiming the throne from Henry VI. After his execution his head was mockingly placed on the walls of York wearing a paper crown.

Six months after his fathers death Edward defeated Henry VI in battle and forced him to flee to Scotland. At the age of 18 Edward Duke of York became Edward IV King of England.

Four more years of fighting still remained before Henry would finally be captured. Though Edward was a fantastic soldier he could not participate personally in the capturing of Henry due to poor health brought on by “sexual excesses”.

After Edward had been crowned king he quickly built up his powerbase around the capital and in the south of England by giving the men in his wife’s family important court positions and marring off her five sisters into powerful southern English families.

Richard Neville Earl of Warwick and Edwards treacherous younger brother George Duke of Clarence had encouraged Richards relatives in the north the Nevilles to revolt in 1469. Warwick and Clarence then went to Paris France and met up with Queen Margaret Henry VI wife who was living there in exile. From France Warwick, Clarence and Margaret invaded England and Edward found no support other than from his 18 year old brother Richard Duke of Gloucestor.

Edward and his brother Richard fled to Flanders. Warwick meanwhile reclaimed the throne for Henry VI but ruled in his place.

Warwick and Henry ruled England for only 6 brief months before Edward and his brother returned from Flanders with 2000 mercenaries. Edwards double crossing brother George Duke of Clarence had a change of heart and abandoned Warwick to join his brother.

Warwick was slain at the battle of Barnet. Then after the battle of Tewkesbury Queen Margaret was defeated. Her son was murdered after the battle by Edwards two brothers. Henry VI was also murdered.

After Edward had reestablished himself as King of England he suspected his brother George Duke of Clarence of plotting to betray him again. So he had him drowned in Malmsey wine in the Tower of London.

Edward ever ruthless decided that now that he had finally triumphed over his domestic enemies it was time to expand his realm.

He gave an ultimatum to the King of Ireland to surrender his land to England. The King refused and announced he was no longer vassal to England.

Edward upon hearing the news in his dinning hall laughed so hard he nearly choked to death on the venison he was feasting on. After he had pulled himself together he ordered Belfast to be taken as soon as possible and to send the petty Irish King to London once captured so he can experience first hand how the enemies of Edward IV are treated.

Belfast was taken in a few months and the Irish King was shipped back to London in chains as Edward had wished. Upon arrival he was paraded round the streets of London along with some local criminals and the next day all were publically executed.

News of Edwards disgraceful actions spread across Europe and England found itself isolated from all its neighbors for the rest of Edwards reign.

Several decades after the anexation of Ireland Edward became restless. He was a man of excess and during the latter years of his reign he grew into a morbidly obeise man. Many of his court servants suspected he may die very soon from his overeating. But it did not concern him. He always wanted more of what he liked whether it be women, food, money or land. His own personal income was enormous since he had personally confiscated the lands of his defeated Lancastrian enemies. He was the largest proprietor in England with one-fifth of England being within his personal estates.

However this was not enough. Greedily he often eyed a large map of the known world that hung in his dining hall and complained while chewing his food that his Scottish vassal had as much land as he did. His ministers brought to his attention that most of this land was of poor quality but he did not care. To him it did not look right and so on 1480 he called up all his vassal noblmen in England and formed the largest army he had ever commanded. Half of these men were boarded on ships and sent to Dublin, the other half were marched north to the Border with Scotland.

A messanger was sent to King James in Edinburgh stating that he was no longer required to pay the yearly tribute to the English crown because the his lands were now part of the kingdom of England.

Thereafter a long and costly war in men and money was waged against Scotland. So costly in fact that Edward dispite being a remarkably wealthy man do to the flourishing wool trade found that he had to take a loan out to pay for his war. Inflation reached 4% and the Scots put up a long hard fight. The small Scottish fleet defeated the much larger English fleet led by the incompetant Captain Smiley. The army that marched into Scotland had a tough time with Scotlands mountainous terrian and it took two years to push the Scots back to the highlands. In Ireland things went better but the sieges were tying down English soldiers that could be used in the fight in Scotland. Finnally in 1483 Ireland had been pacified and the Irish army was put on ships to head for Scotland. Unfortunaly many of these men died while crossing the Irish sea due to Captain Smiley’s poor leadership against the Scottish navy which harrassed the armada the entire way to Lancaster.

The survivors of the ordeal eventually landed and joined the battle against James who had taken refuge in the far north of his realm and was gaurded by 16,000 fearsome Scottish clansmen. The English army prevailed after taking heavy losses and James aggreed to surrender all his territory save Edinburgh.

Edward died that same year in Westminster at the age of 40 following a fever caused by overeating.

Edward died that same year in Westminster at the age of 40 following a fever caused by overeating.
A fitting end for a monarch who spent his time feverishly gobbling up his neighbours! Nice story.

Most of the last two stories are the actual facts. Only the part about taking Ireland and Scotland are the fiction. :) Edward really did die of overeating and was a playboy. I didn't see how I could gloss over "the War of the Roses" so I almost had to repeat many times word for word what I read in my refrence book.

It's a good learning esperience though since I was completely ignorant of this period of history prior to writting this AAR. Only thing I knew was this is when England lost the hundred years war. :D