• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dojoboy

Colonel
55 Badges
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
This is my first EU2 AAR, pretty staright forward.

I believe the AAR is now complete. I'll edit for spelling errors and such. I created a simple rating scale for my monarchs based on their abilities (Excellent @ +5 to Very Poor @ 0). Beside the rating, you'll see the monarchs highest rated area. Overall rating scale: (Administrative, Military, & Diplomatic)

Excellent = 15
Very Good = 12 - 14
Good = 9 - 11
Average = 6 - 8
Poor = 3 - 5
Very Poor = 0 - 2

Settings: Normal-Normal (EU2 1.08)

aus_1419.jpg

Monarchs:

Albert V (1404 - 1439) +7 - Military
Ladislas Postumus (1439 - 1457) +6 - ALL

During the reign of Albert V, Austria set out to expand its borders. In April of 1419, Austria delivers a Declaration of War to Helvetia. Fours years later, Austria gains the province of Schwyz in a peace settlement w/ Helvetia. Albert V is beginning to see a great future for the Austrian people. Because of his success against Helvetia, Albert V declares war (1431) on Venice. He uses Venice's monopoly on trade as his Casus Belli (CB). After three years of conflict, Austria gains the Istria province and 219 ducats in a peace treaty w/ Venice. Before long, Albert V again takes his Austrian army into battle. This time, in 1435, Austria begins its third war of aggression and second against Helvetia. However, this period of conflict will last 10 years, thanks to the vehemence of Helvetia's allies. After several battles, Austrian forces are successful in occupying Bern (Helvetia), forcing its annexation by Austria (1442). But, Albert V would not live to see this day. In his place, Ladislas Postumus would reap the glory of the Austrian successes. It would take three more years of war before Austria is able to secure Alsace from Lorraine, thus ending this bloody time period. The remainder of Ladislas Postumus's reign would prove uneventful.

aus_1500.jpg

Monarchs:

Friedrich V (1457 - 1493) +7 - Diplomatic
Maximillian I (1493 - 1519) +7 - Diplomatic

Friedrich V ascends to the throne in 1457. Almost immediately, he sanctions the construction of a Fine Arts Academy in Austria's home province. In 1469, Bavaria, having been a vassal of Austria for over ten years, agrees to its diplomatic annexation by Friedrich V, thus proving his diplomatic skill to all of Europe. However, war hawks within the Austrian government convince Friedrich V that further expansion is needed inorder to ensure the survival of Austria itself, against other rising European powers. So, war is declared against Wurttemberg in 1469. In 1471, Wurttemberg is forcibly annexed. But, Austria's ally, Bohemia, the same year, requests assistance in its war v. Bradenburg. For the next 20 years or so, Austria will be embroiled in constant war against the likes of Venice, Genoa, Modena, and Byzantium. In the end, Austria would only acquire Mantua and lose Istria to Venice during peace negotiations w/ Byzantium in 1474. (actual blunder on my part, clicked a pop-up too quickly) :sad:

In the early 1480's, Tuscany, and her ally Siena, delcare war on Austria. This is the first sign of anti-Austrian unilateralism experienced. But, the end result would prove to be a message for all of Europe, don't triffle w/ Austria. In 1483, Tuscany is forced to yield Marche, and Siena, must not only yield Roma, but also accept vassal status to Austria. (BB rating currently 10.7/42)

Soon after, Austria again finds itself at war, this time v. Venice. During this war, Friedrich V's reign comes to an end and Maximillian I rises to power (1493). In 1495, Austria gains Dalmatia and Istria from Venice for peace. Maximillian I's strong diplomatic skills are credited for bringing a quick resolution to the conflict so early into his reign. During the remainder of Maximillian I's rule, Austria would experience a tiime of economic growth and European recognition. France invites Austria to join in an alliance. Baden agrees to become a vassal of Austria. And, when the alliance w/ France ends in 1518, Austria would become the leader of an alliance w/ France and Baden as members. Many advisors to Maximillian I discouraged such close ties w/ France, a burgeoning continental power. But, Maximillian I believed it the best course inorder to keep an eye on this awakening giant.

Last edited:
aus_1597.jpg

Monarchs:

Karl V (1519 - 1556) +11 - Admin. & Diplomatic
Ferdinand I (1556 - 1564) +8 - Admin. & Military
Maximillian II (1564 - 1576) +7 - Diplomatic
Rudolf II (1576 - 1612) +7 - Administrative

Once Karl V becomes monarch of Austria, the country experiences a great deal of growth, partly due to increased effeciency, and foreign prestige. In 1523, Baden is diplomatically annexed. In 1525, Venice accepts vassal status. The Kingdom of Hungary is inherited by Austria's monarch, Karl V, in 1540. Austria enters into several Royal Marriages, enabling the empire to create vassals and diplomatically annex nations. In 1542, Venice is diplomatically annexed! :)

In 1545, France asks Austria to honor alliance v. England, which is uneventful. Karl V prefers improving infrastruture and forging provincial alliances. A "White Peace" is offered to England soon after the declaration of war. England readily accepts. Lorraine becomes an Austrian vassal in 1550, and in Karl V's last year in power, Kleves accepts diplomatic annexation.

Ferdinand I rises to power and proves to be an able leader, but for a short time. Under Ferdinand I, Lorraine accepts diplomatic annexation (1560) and Bosnia becomes an Austrian vassal (1564).

Maximillian II becomes monarch in 1564. He too proves to be an able diplomat. In 1566, Kleves accepts diplomatic annexation, as does Bosnia in 1574. However, between these two gems, Austria is forced into a war v. Netherlands due to honoring an alliance w/ Burgundy. Relationship w/ France has soured over the years, which led to new alliances w/ European neighbors. Austria did gain Zeeland for peace in 1570, but a revolt returned Zeeland to Netherlands. Maximillian II chose to focus energies elsewhere, rather than instigating "events" w/ Netherlands.

Rudolf II comes to power in 1576 and would rule Austria for the next 36 years. In 1579, Burgundy becomes a vassal to Austria. War breaks out w/ Byzantium in the early 1580s. Superior Austrian military leadership leads to a peace settlement in 1584, bringing the provinces of Morea, Apulia, & Hellas into the Austrian Empire. The treasury is also increased by 86 ducats. On the heals of this victory, Genoa would join Austria's alliance in 1586, and Burgundy becomes part of the empire in 1589 through diplomatic measures.

In 1594, Byzantium joins Austria's alliance, after a RM takes place. Almost immediately afterwards, Bradenburg (alliance member) asks for Austrian assistance v. Mainz. Austria accepts the invitation. However, Mainz's allies, England, France, and Spain, cause great concern within Austria. After Mainz in focribly annexed in 1596, France is brought to the negotiation table, where in, Austria gains Nivernais, Savoie, Lyonnais, & Champagne. This peace settlement brings and end to the war. However, within months Genoa, who once was allied w/ Austria, declares war. In 1599, Austria gains Lombardia, Piemonte, & Emilia for peace. Once again, Austria's BB rating entices Spain to declare war again, this time as leader of an alliance w/ France, England, & The Knights. During this conflict, historical events force Rudolf II to take out two 500 ducat loans. He aims to make the aggressors suffer. In separate peace deals, Austria gains Orleanais, Normandie, Poitou, & Gascogne from England. From Spain, the province of Bearn is added to the Austrian Hegemony. The Knights are forcibly annexed. France is whittled down to a few provinces in Europe.

In Rudolf II's last year of power, he attempts to make some reconciliation w/ Europe by providing The Knights some autonomy (vassalage).

aus_1650.jpg

Monarchs:

Mathias (1612 - 1619) +4 - Admin. & Diplomatic
Ferdinand II (1619 - 1637) +5 - Admin. & Military
Ferdinand III (1637 - 1657) +8 - Military

In the year 1612, Mathias would come to power as Austria's ruling monarch. Unfortunately, Mathias is the worst among all of Austria's monarchs. Fortunately, the reign would last only 7 years. Early on, Austria was able to repay both 500 ducat loans (1613 & 1614). That is about it for Mathias. Austria is invited to join France, England, & Spain in a formal alliance, which Austria agrees. A new nation, Brittany, breaks away from France. Austria is asked to assist which leads to Austria annexing Brittany by force.

Within a year of Ferdinand II's inauguration, certain "events" cause great harm to Austria's stability. Within no time, Austria is at -3 stab. :sad: To make matters worse, once the alliance w/ France, Spain, & England ends, Spain declares war on the Austrian Empire. :evil: In spite of inner turmoil, Austria succeeds in pacifying the Spanish crown, through brute force. In May of 1630, Ferdinand II's commanders dictate terms to Spain. From hence forth, the provinces of Cantabria, Navarra, Aragon, & Gerona shall be part of Austria.

Ferdinand III succeeds Ferdinand II in 1637. Ferdinand III rules for 20 years and proves to be an able leader. Stability issues continue to plague the country. In 1640, Austrian diplomats are the architects of a new alliance w/ France, Russia, and later Eire. Within 7 years, Spain once again delcares war on Austria. English and Portuguese allies of Spain begin attacking the fringes of Austrian lands. One year later, in 1648, Bradenburg DOW's Austria as well, bringing in Sweden as well. Under the brilliant leadership of Ferdinand III, Austria forces each enemy to the peace table separately, reaping great rewards for the Austrian people. England yields Roussillon. Spain surrenders Catalonia. Bradenburg is forced to give up soveign rights to Magdeburg & Sachesen. Austria is happy to sign a "white peace" w/ Sweden.

Stability continues to be a nightmare for Ferdinand III; however, he is still successful in implementing reforms throughout the empire, most notably w/ the promotion of Legal Counsels in every province during the 1650s.

aus_1700.jpg

Monarchs:

Leopold I (1658 - 1705) +10 - Military

Leopold I rules for 42 years. Although Leopold I's strength is in military tactics, very little, if any fighting occurred during his reign. Stability remains a problem during the early years of Leopold I's leadership. A RM takes place between Austria & England when England switches state religion to Catholicism in 1664. Hungarian nobles begin creating troubles for the Austrian crown. In response, Leopold I opts to create a decentralized Hungarian Noble Council in Budapest in 1668. This turns out to be a wise decision. The nation returns to normalcy (+3 stab) in 1674. In Leopold I's later years, he commissions a venture to create Austrian colonies in the new world. Two colonies are successfuly established in the early 1700s.

aus_1750.jpg

Monarchs:

Josef I (1705 - 1711) +5 - Admin. & Military
Karl VI (1711 - 1740) +7 - Administrative
Maria Theresia (1740 - 1780) +10 - Admin. & Diplomatic

Following Leopold I, Josef I takes control of Austria in 1705. Although he is not a great leader, not even average in abilities, he does order administrative reform throughout the empire. Beginning in 1706, mayors a promoted in all Austrian provinces. This proves to have a dramatic effect on inflation and corruption.

In 1711, Karl VI comes to power as Austria's ruling monarch. Karl VI is an adequate ruler. Unfortunately two events create unease within the country. First, general social stability begins to drop (hitting -2 stab). Then, France calls on Austria to honor an alliance, to declare war on Oldenberg & Poland. This would be a regretable decision. The Austrian army performs flawlessly, easily routing Polish forces, capturing 6 provinces early. They even secure Friesen from Oldenberg. Unfortunately, a peace agreement (I assume) is settled on between France & Oldenberg which brings the war to an abrupt end. Peace is a good thing, but the Austrian troops who died, died w/ out anything to show for it. All the controlled Polish provinces immediately returned to Poland. Needless to say the Austrian military and citizenry were quite upset. Austria did gain Friesen from Oldenberg.

In 1731, the Archbishop of Salzburg created a stir among the empire. But, Karl VI opted not to purge the Archbishop, but rather allow the threat of action to coerce the Archbishop. (BB rating is currently down to 19.8/53; tarnished reputation)

A -3 stability hit occurs in 1734. Minor rebellions break out, as always when this sort of thing happens. But, by now there are hundreds of thousands of Austrian forces spread throughout the empire, quelling any revolt within weeks. Prior to the end of Karl VI's rule, he makes a somewhat anticlimatic decision, to claim "Defender of the Faith." Little comes of it, as the remainder of Europe is preoccupied with internal strifes of there own. It was Karl VI's hope that the act would create unity among the nation, to ease social instability.

Maria Theresia, one of Austria's most effective rulers, succeeds Karl VI in 1740. Early into her reign, Russia calls on Austria to honor an alliance, to war against Genoa. This reates another war against England and Spain as well. The Austrian korps occupies Morbihan and Calais, the last English strongholds on the European continent. When the English government falls from internal rebellions, Austria gains ownership of these to provinces. Against Spain, Austria has captured 5 provinces (Valencia, Leon, Murcia, Toledo, & Asturias), but Spain refuses to yield them for peace. As Maria Theresia yearns for peace and stability, she orders new negotiations to be opened w/ Spain. For only Valencia and a sum of ducats, Spain may live in peace. Spain agrees. But, Genoa is a diferent story. Long has Austria waited for an opportunity to seize Genoan lands. In 1748, Genoa is reduced to a single province as Bujak, Dorbrudja, Napoli, Siena, & Firenze become inseparable parts of the Austrian Hegemony.

Stability balances out (0) in 1750. Later in 1750, a policy to reform the beureaucracy is presented to Maria Theresia. Many different groups lobby for her support. In the end, she chooses to allow the status quo to remain. Bestowed upon her and her govenment is 300 ducats and social stability (back to +3). :smile: During the 1750s, Maria Theresia again proves hersef as a titan among all Austrian monarchs. A couple "exceptional" years take place, dramtically reducing inflation by -5 for each and bringing in a surplus of gold ducats. Then in Dec. of 1760, a high ranking envoy visits France. Great secrecy surrounds the meeting. Out of the negotiations, France agrees to become a vassal of Austria! There is a subdued celebration within the Austrian government, because the real work lays ahead. Over ten years will pass where intense talks take place between Austria and France. Finally, in Dec. of 1773, being faced w/ little real opportunity as a world power and threatend by outside forces, France agrees to diplomatic annexation by Austria. For Maria Theresia, this "crown jewel" is regarded as her greatest achievement. On the heals of this diplomatic coup, Eire accepts vassaliztion in 1775. And, in 1776, Maria Theresia orders all serfs to be freed at once, formally abolishing serfdom. The end of Maria Theresia's reign would be a time of great mourning to...most Austrians.

aus_gc_europe.jpg

Monarchs:

Josef II (1780 - 1790) +12 - Diplomatic
Leopold II (1790 - 1792) +6 - All
Franz II (1792 - ) +7 - Administrative

Josef II attempted to institute reforms, but little reform ever took place. In 1781, he released Quebec (formerly French lands) as a vassal. Austria never was interested in the new world. To Austrians, it only detracted from what was important - Europe. The Partitrition of Poland was a key event which occurred in 1788. It increased stability within the empire and added gold ducats to the treasury. It also gave Austria the right to claim the Polish provinces of Podlasia & Krakow. However, Josef II was uninterested in using this CB. Another opportunity arose for reform in 1789, but Josef II thought it best not to risk it.

One year later, Leopold II became the Austrian monarch. Leopold II had time to do absolutely nothing. In two years time, a new monarch, Franz II, took power. Franz II would manage Austrian affairs until the end-game. Much of his time was spent improving provincial infrastructures and building naval equipment factories, shipyards, refineries, weapons factories, and conscription centers. At one point, Austria had the manpower and funds to field an army over 500,000 men strong. During key wars, troop strength reached 480,000 plus. Ironically, Austria would finish up as members of an alliance w/ Spain, England, & Poland. In regards to naval strength, little attention was given to this area. The European continent was what interested me.

Some end-game notes:

BB rating: 3.7/82 (Respectable)
Technology:
(1) Land = 48
(2) Naval = 17
(3) Trade = 8
(4) Infra = 8

Last edited:
Nothing like a good Austria AAR. Good job pleasent read.

Ah yes now this is the place to be. Good AAR. Don't let anybody tell you different :D.

Oh it really is spelled Hegemony cool.

Nice AAR. :)

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Maybe next time I'll try one w/ a bit more character. Thanks again.

Last edited:
A huge empire if I ever saw one!!!!! How did you do that without deadly enemies chopping you up???

This was really interesting, because it was very fast. You did a very straight-forward AAR, running through four-hundred years in a few posts! Well done! Meanwhile, I am still in 1426, and have already done 8 Chapters!

Keep writing, it was great! Hope you do another one soon!

Th :rofl:

P.S. What was your BB rating in 1820??? Looks like it could be scary!!! :D

AmbassadeBelgie said:
A huge empire if I ever saw one!!!!! How did you do that without deadly enemies chopping you up???

This was really interesting, because it was very fast. You did a very straight-forward AAR, running through four-hundred years in a few posts! Well done! Meanwhile, I am still in 1426, and have already done 8 Chapters!

Keep writing, it was great! Hope you do another one soon!

Th :rofl:

P.S. What was your BB rating in 1820??? Looks like it could be scary!!! :D

Thanks. :)

My BB rating in 1820 was only 3.7 / 82. I had worked for a while at reducing it. From the late 1500s to the mid-late 1600s, my BB rating was off the chart at times. In 1731, my BB rating was down to 19.8 / 53. Unfortunately, I've trashed the save files. I went to look at some of the saves to check BBs at various points. I'll remember to file them next time.

AmbassadeBelgie said:
How did you do that without deadly enemies chopping you up???

Several reasons, I feel:

(1) The French and Turks failed to develop to a point where they could capitalize exponentially on their assets. They failed to reach critical mass. I like to think I helped prevent this. ;) Although, I never fought the Turks directly.

(2) During war, I ignored enemy sieges and concentrated my forces on the enemy's heartland. The AI was much more agreeable to my demands when 2/3's of its provinces were under Austrian control. And, the AI would usually abandon a siege to try and kick me out of its lands.

(3) From the start, I decided inflation increases and debt was an acceptable consequence inorder to win wars. The time afterward could be spent repairing the economy. Ironically, I think I took out only 4-5 loans the entire game and events forced 2 of them.

Here are a couple end-of-game jpgs. One is of Austria's finance report. The other is the VP pop-up. I know VPs are ambiguous, but its still nice to have the most.

aus_gc_finances.jpg

aus_gc_vp.jpg