• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(10727)

Sometimes They Come Back
Aug 20, 2002
Visit site
Introducing Something Called "Freedom." An Interactive Russian AAR

russianeagle.gif

There was something unnerving about Ivan's eyes. It wasn't cruelty or madness lurking in them, that would be typical enough of past Grand Dukes of Moscow. It was more of an absence than some sort of possession. The possibility that the man did not have a soul.

"The outbreak of plague has devastated to our lands. We only request a temporary relief in taxes, until we can recover." The envoy from Pskov kept his head pressed to the floor, his voice quivering.

Ivan stood up and walked past the prostrate supplicant as if nothing had been said. At the door of the throne room he abruptly turned and those in the room tried to hide from his eyes in whatever way available. Look at the floor, look at the Pskovian, anything.

"Send his head back to Pskov with the message that there are limits to my charity and good will." A muffled scream came from the envoy as he was quickly overpowered by guards.

Ivan III took his leave. He was going to meet with his most trusted advisors to discuss the future of the Grand Duchy. The Pskovian was already forgotten.

kremlin.jpg

I'm back after another lengthy absence (I'll spare you the details, but we're talking soap opera stuff here, friends). I thought it would be fun to try an interactive AAR and just see what happens.

The Basics

Nation: Muscowy
Scenario: Age of Exploration, 1492, vanilla version
Patch: 1.08, June beta
Difficulty: Very Hard/Normal

The Advisors to the Tsar

This will work a lot like in the earlier Austrian AAR. Just post what position you'd like and it's yours. Every ten years and at the start of the game the council will convene. I may call emergency sessions for specific issues as well (important historical events, some huge crisis). There will be several large issues that everyone will advise on, as will as specific advice appropriate to each role (i.e. The Metropolitan of Moscow suggests conversions/religious tolerances, etc). Advice should be equal parts what's good for the game and role playing of the position. Have fun and pick a role you can get into.

Military Advisor: Gives advice regarding army composition and maintainence. At present we have 100,000 soldiers, divided evenly between cavalry and infantry. At full support this army will cost us 47.5 Ducats a month. Our present economy cannot support such a large army. We estimate that a force of 53,000 could be supported. We have two leaders: Shenja 4/2/3 and Kholmski 3/2/3/1.

Naval Advisor: A good choice if you don't want to do much. :D Gives advice on naval composition and maintanence and overseas exploration. At present we have no ships and one port in Ingermanland.

Metropolitan of Moscow: The head of the Orthodox Church. Gives advice on religious tolerance and conversions. Currently all provinces are Orthodox expect for Catholics in Kexholm. We are bordered by Muslims (Kazan, Golden Horde) and Catholics (Poland-Lithuania, Sweden, Teutonic Order.

Foreign Minister: Gives advice on alliances and other diplomatic matters. We are currently allied with Pskov, Ryazan and Crimea, but they have little love for us and cannot be considered dependable in a crisis (-108, -108, and +0, respectively). Kazan is a vassal, but they hate us (-200) and will likely renounce their allegiance as soon as it is opportune to do so. We are surrounded by potential enemies: Lithuania (-115), Sweden (-125), Golden Horde (-200) and the Teutonic Order (-115).

A reasonably accurate map of the region
ScreenSave199.jpg

Cossack Advisor: Gives advice on colonization and land exploration. Currently we have three colonies in Kola, Karelia and Arkhangelsk. The cities in these colonies have 100 residents each.

Financial Advisor: Gives advice on distribution of wealth, trade and promotion of infrastructure. Currently we have no tax collectors and are poor relative to our size (11.3 monthly income). We have one merchant in Moscow earning very little for us (1.57 Ducats/year). Investments are fairly evenly divided Stability is not a problem. We have 50 Ducats in our treasury.

General Issues

Two issues for all at the moment.

#1. The future direction of Muscowy.

Should we seek war or try to develop peacefully? Currently we only have claims on the lands of our allies in Pskov and Ryazan. We are surrounded by potential enemies and are quite poor for our size.

#2. Domestic Policies. What gets the "click?"

The Boyars in our lands currently hold significant power and make many of the ruling decisions in their lands (Aristocracy 8, Centralization 3). Our Orthodox heritage and limited rights for most discourage free thought (Innovativeness 2). We are neither especially protectionist or especially free in trade (Mercantilism 5). Our armies are reasonably courageous in battle, but consist heavily of peasants (Offensive 6, Quality 3). We are not a naval power (Land 7). The peasantry are slaves in all but name (Serfdom 9).

You can start claiming your role and posting advice immediately. I'll post updates about every day or so, probably taking longer at the start. All for Mother Russia!

:)

I am not complaining but it seem to me that there are more interactive AARs than ever.

zap...

Joe (Sapphire)

Last edited:
Hm. I'll take the Metropolitan of Moscow, please. That looks like it'd be quite amusing. :D

I take Naval Advisor since I don't do much!!! :rofl:

Naval Advisor looked mournful across the port with no warship to play, only small trading ships and fishing boats. :( :( :D

Sapphire tried to think of his own warship in front of him but he failed to see it. He broke down and wept!!!! :D

Sapphire (Joe)

Last edited:
Paranoid Tsar said:

Should we seek war or try to develop peacefully? Currently we only have claims on the lands of our allies in Pskov and Ryazan. We are surrounded by potential enemies and are quite poor for our size.

We may be poor, but it costs us almost nothing to hand a bunch of swords and pikes to the surfs and overrun the enemy!

Since we have such an oversized army, we may as well use it immediately...I think we should break our alliance and conquer both of the principalities which are rightfully a part of our nation! Split the army into two sections, each headed by one of our leaders, and crush the two enemy provinces with them. With such a numerical and leadership advantage we may even be able to win while maintainng a 50% maintenance rate. Then allow attrition to cut down our military's size for us, trying to preserve 50,000 or so troops.

I think that we should shift our military further towards offensive doctrines. As you may have gathered from my suggestion for #1, I think that the best defense is overwhelming hordes of offense. A stronger focus on offense will help offset the low morale our army has from other sources and, once we reach 9 (our goal), make our leaders much more competent at shocking the enemy with human wave attacks. While some of our leaders will lack a greater ability at overcoming enemy fortresses, we'll have all the time in the world to besiege the enemy once we overwhelm and annihilate their armies in the field. :D

I think it would be wise to build a least a few Galleys since we need to know our enemies' ships' location!!!

The good things of having a navy was that you can speed the conquest up by transporting them by sea!! So majority can go by land but the eilte and minority can go by sea and land the army to distract the enemies. Good example would be if we landed a army in the captial of the enemies. It is possible that the enemies' armies would marched back to captial to life the siege. This will leave much time to move our vast hordes in.

Joe (Sapphire)

Last edited:
Thanks for stepping up, everyone! Here's the current ruling council of Muscowy:

Miltary Advisor = Sindai

Naval Advisor = Sapphire

Foreign Minister = zacharym87

Metropolitan of Moscow = CatKnight

Cossack Advisor = J. Passepartout .

The Financial Minister is all that's left, so if you're on the fence about giving this a shot, claim it now! :D

Everyone can begin posting immediately. Be sure to address the two main issues (domestic policies and general direction) as well as any specifics within your area.

Ivan III Veliky
IvanIII.jpg

Finacial advisor please. :) Let me say that I enjoy the competion to my newly created Spain AAR, but that I hope my council some of which also have postion here do not forget about me. The direction of the country. Personly espand south with more aggresion than west as the hordes willl weaken with time. The budget set takes hish enough only to perform limited promotions, and make SMALL investments in trade.

Last edited:
The Metropolitan of Moscow, and therefore self-proclaimed spiritual head of all the Russias bowed. "My Lord."

Metropolitan of Moscow: The head of the Orthodox Church. Gives advice on religious tolerance and conversions. Currently all provinces are Orthodox expect for Catholics in Kexholm. We are bordered by Muslims (Kazan, Golden Horde) and Catholics (Poland-Lithuania, Sweden, Teutonic Order.

"Though I believe these Catholics must eventually be brought to heel and taught where the true center of worship of our Lord Jesus Christ can be found, if I understand the foreign minister's report correctly I believe now is the time for a ... lenient hand. I believe we should grant the Catholics (and ourselves of course) maximum leniency, and thus encourage the exchange of ideas to bring them around."

"The soul of the Muslim is diseased and corrupt, however. Any who follows this prophet of theirs cannot find salvation, for they have strayed from the path. Allowing their poison into our lands will only weaken us."

"I defer to the military advisor in his field of expertise, of course, though I do hope he agrees that when - not if - Kazan breaks their vassalage ... we may erase their foulness from the face of the Earth."

General Issues

I defer to the military advisor on this matter. It is clear these people already dislike us, and we should take your lands back, my Lord.

Code:

Centralization. Only by bringing all the power of this nation into your hands can we hope to still those who murmur against your rule.

Curses. I missed the chance to get in on a good role to fill. Oh well, I shall continue to follow the tale nonetheless.

The Foreign Minister walked carefully into the room, he had heard some ugly rumours about the fate of his predecessor. After performing the necessary obsequies on being presented to the Tsar, he summoned all his confidence and laid his proposals before the sovereign:

"Your majesty has asked us to advise you upon the general direction of our glorious realm. I say that all our neighbors are enemies and that we must expand our rule to all enighboring lands. As to the matter of domestic policies, I concur with esteemed Metropolitan of Moscow that greater powers should be conferred to office of Tsar."

"As to my particular area of expertise, I advise winning the principalities with kindness, they are Russians themselves and will benefit by joining our nation. Send them a sufficient stream of gifts and we may be able to add their lands to our own without the use of our military power. A great number of our Russian brothers still languish under the rule of the detestable Mongols and I advise that the khanates be destroyed as soon as your worship should find it expedient to do so. My office is presently working on documents that will assert our just claims in this region. The Danes are our natural friends and we should seek to maintain good relations with them, they even be interested in joining our alliance. Their vassals the Swedes are a more worrisome nation and I suggest keeping a sharp eye on them. I also advise you not to forget our Orthodox brethern in Moldavia and Georgia and suggest attmepting to improve relations with these nations."

The enthusiastic Chief of Army pasued for a moment to scratch his chin in though.

"Hmm...with Kazan as our vassals, we could instead attack the Golden Horde. We have passage through Kazan's lands, but the Horde does not, allowing us to strike with impunity. The attrition would be very harsh, but it would be worth it to secure the freedom of some of our Russian brethren from the eastern barbarians. Particularly the populous and rich gold mines in Samara."

"Also, once the time comes to take back Russia's land from Kazan, we would be able to attack them from both sides, confering an unbeatable strategic advantage upon us."

I would request that we centralise royal power and increase the population of the northern lands by using them as penal colonies, and... sending some of our good friends the Boyars with the criminals to act as guards. Also, I am given to understand that the east is full of weak, easily conquered nations, and unclaimed territories, so I request that we fight our way in that direction. Of course, this warring should be fought in a sustainable way...

Muscowy Ruling Council, 1492

Ivan had remained silent for over an hour as his advisors discussed the future of Musocwy. Even his features had betrayed little of his thoughts, as if his face was cut from stone. The tension when he finally stood to address the ruling council was palpable.

"I thank you all for your wise advise and your loyalty to the Grand Duke." Ivan gave that line time to settle. More than one Russian nobleman had been executed for treason during his reign as Grand Duke of Moscow.

"We will immediately institute policies to strengthen the powers of Moscow throughout our lands. To this end, we will send some of my agents into Novgorod to keep an eye on the Boyars there. They are only recently conquered and cling to their old government." (Centralization +1)

"I agree that the Tartars are our biggest enemy." Ivan nodded toward the Metropolitan of Moscow and the Military Advisor. "The Mohammedans in Kazan will likely give us reason to free the people of the True Faith currently under their rule. After this, I picture a drive east against weak Tartar nations."

Ivan addressed the Financial minister. "Limited promotions in our richest lands, especially Moscow seems highly desirable. I also agree that securing trade will be important for our future growth."

Ivan stood and walked toward the Naval Advisor. He stood behind him, setting a hand on his shoulder. "If we are to be taken seriously by the western cowards we will need naval power. However, I see this as more of a long term goal."

Turning toward the foreign minister he finished the thought. "We will see if we can buy the love of Pskov and Ryazan. If not, there are more direct methods, but we can bide our time with them. If we can bring the Danes to our alliance as a counter-measure against the Swedes it will be of great benefit. Right now our north-western border is very vulnerable to these traitors."

Without pausing his monologue he walked around the table to stand near the Cossack Advisor. "The eventual colonization of the northwest will be critical in checking the Swedes, as well. By sending criminal elements from our capital we solve the problem of dealing with their descendents. Let our thieves and highwaymen grow rich on the damned Swedes!".

Returning to his chair, Ivan allowed himself a small smile for just a moment. "We will claim what is rightly ours, friends." Without another word he took his leave.

As soon as I play it I'll have the results of 1492 and the new issues for the council.

Betrayal, Conquest and Oppression: 1492-1502

"Ryazan requests you honor your pledge to support our alliance with Pskov and Crimea and join us in our honorable struggle against Georgia." The envoy bowed deeply to Ivan who stared back, unimpressed.

"Your nation is a disobdient child that has proven it is unable to manage its own house. You deserve neither our support or even tolerance. Inform the alliance that Muscowy will not lend support to such petty squabbles far from our lands. Also, a state of war now exists between the Grand Duke of Muscow and your pitiful principality."

The envoy stared at the Grand Duke is disbelief. A sudden flood of anger overwhelmed the Ruler of Muscowy. "I suggest you leave. Now!"

-----------------------------------------------------

Centralization was increased, bringing it to 4.

Diplomatic action preoccupied Moscow through much of 1492. Fearing aggression from Sweden, Denmark was invited into the Russian alliance. However, this alliance quickly dissolved as Denmark and Muscowy refused a call to fight in Georgia. Muscowy quickly joined a new alliance with Denmark and Sweden, effectively guarding the western flank. With this settled, war was declared on Ryazan, who was joined by Pskov and Crimea.

The war proceeded with little difficulty. Ryazan was conquered and annexed, while Pskov was vassalized and forced to pay 100 Ducats tribute (money was tight and I didn't want another big reputation hit).

With the Muscowy army depleted by these wars, Kazan took the opportunity to renounce its vassalization to Muscowy. Two loans and a lengthy war later they learned the folly of this action. Kazan ceded Tambow, paid 175 Ducats and returned to Vassal status.

The Subednik laws were instituted (+2 Aristocracy, +2 Serfdom, Stability +1, Manufactory in Moscow, +800 infrastructure). Sorry, I forgot about that event. In the future historical events will be "general issues" in the councils before they happen.

After a few years of peace and the promotion of several new tax collectors the economy stabilized enough for a military build-up. After a 225 Ducat gift to state, the Golden Horde was attacked. Weakened by years of revolts, the Horde was no match for the emergent Muscowy. After two years of fighting victory was total: The Golden Horde ceded Uralsk, Samarra, Ufa, and Saratow as well as 50 Ducats.

The Sweden/Denmark alliance did not participate in any of this fighting. Apart from some wars against German minors, including one still on-going, the alliance has served largely as an insurance policy.

-----------------------------------------------------

Issues for 1502

Military Advisor: We currently field 33,000 soldiers. Our forces are still somewhat depleted from our war against the Golden Horde. We can now support 66,000 men. We have a land tech of 4, with 5 and assualts coming in 1510 at the present investment level.

Naval Advisor: We still have no navy. The possibility of making a naval attack against German minors is tempting, but might be somewhat impractical at present.

Metropolitan of Moscow: We are currently tolerating Catholicism at about 7 and Orthodoxy around 8 (if the scale was 1-10). Kexholm is Catholic and Uralsk is Sunni Muslim. Both are the wrong culture (Ugric, Altai) so successful conversion may be difficult.

Foreign Minister: We have a tarnished reputation (17.1/43). We are allied with Denmark and Sweden. Our relations with Denmark are excellent (+150), but Sweden is still suspicious of us (-106). We are in a war with them against Holstein, Mecklenberg, Pommern and Bremen. We have not sent any soldiers, nor have we been invaded. We now border the Khanates of Astrakhan and Sibir, who are allied. Kazan and Pskov are vassals. We have a rightful claim to Pskov.

Muscowy and her neighbors, 1502
Russia1502.jpg

Cossack Advisor: We have worked to colonize Kola, which now has a population over 400. Our first Cossack explorer (Ivan Lyapun) awaits orders in Moscow, but right now we do not have access to any terra incognito. To reach the Siberian lands we will have to fight Astrakhan and Sibir.

Financial Advisor: We have promoted tax collectors in our richer provinces (Moscow, Novgorod, Vladimir, Nizhgorod, Tambow, Samarra) as income has allowed. We have three merchants in Moscow earning 5.96 Ducats a year. Presently our investments favor land tech and infrastructure, with some minting (0.15 inflation). An exceptional year has kept our inflation low, nearly zero. Our monthly income is now 26.4.

General Issues

#1 Domestic Policies

Events and actions in the last ten years increased Centralization to 4 and Serfdom and Aristocracy to 10. The other values stayed the same: Innovative 2, Mercantilism 5, Offensive 6, Land 7, and Quality 3. We can now adjust one area.

#2 Fight or wait?

The first ten years have made Muscowy much stronger, but we are still recovering somewhat from a war with the Golden Horde and loss of reputation (17.1). Our only rightful claim is on our vassal, Pskov. We could attack Astrakhan/Sibir without a CB and reach the Siberian corridor or fight in Northern Germany if we build a navy from scratch. If we fight we can really push the advantages we've gained to the maximum, while waiting will give us time to consolidate, but possibly at the expense of missed opportunities.

Everyone may post on these immediately. All for Mother Russia!

Last edited: