• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hansisaf

Corporal
61 Badges
May 19, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
On a warm summer morning, I looked out of the window and could just see the cage with birds standing in the morning sun. It had been a cold and short rest, we talked all night. The body of my father hadn’t cooled or we were talking of changing the destiny of our lands, the lands vested upon us by Muhammed the profet. I was his heir, I Tuggurt ibn al Muhammed. It was therefore that we talked so long.
I could still remember the days that all seemed lost, the mongol hordes ravaged our lands, raped our women and smoked our waterpipes. I still feel the pain, the sorrow and the failure. It was on my sixth birthday and my father always told me it was destined to happen on that day. It was the day Muhammed heared Allah speak to him. I was destined for great things.
All I can think of is whether I can live up to those expectations. I have the tools, most of the arabs living at our borders are discontent, divided and dreaming of the empires of earlier times.
I heared a knock on my door. “Who is there?”, an anxious voice answered “It is me, my lord, Abdullah, your humble servant and general of the army of Bagdad.”. I took a deep breath and thought of my father for a moment. Would it be the right thing to do? Would it be wise, what could we gain of it? Those would be the questions he’d ask me. I waved at my servant who was still quietly standing in the corner of the room. When the door opened, I heard Abdullah falling to his knees. “My lord, you are not wearing your robes, forgive me for my timing.” I turned and looked at a kneeling Abdullah. “I will not be wearing my robes today Abdullah, sent one of your men with my cuirass. We march today if Allah wishes it so.”
Abdullah didn’t move. “What was it you wanted to see me for Abdullah?” He looked up and spoke in a soft voice, “my lord, the Turks of the Qara-Koyunlu have started builing a fortress near Kirkuk and there are indications that they are doing the same at Baku in Adzerbaijan.” Thousands of thoughts ran through my mind, will we be in time? Is it over now? Were they alarmed? We had no time to lose.
While I walked to the stables where the finest horse in all of Arabia stood, I couldn’t stop myself wondering whether this would still be here next month, when the Mongol hordes find out of my treason. Next to the stable door, the emissary I send to Sháh Rúkh Khan of the hordes of Timur Lenk was waiting for me. “My lord” he kneeled “I have good news, the Khan has accepted your offer and is going to war with the Qara-Kuyunlu”. This was what I needed and so soon, perhaps we were still in time. “Then tell general Abdullah to ready his men, I want all of the cavalry to Kirkuk and my infantry off to Adzerbaijan.” With his eyes wide open and a smile on his face, the emissary nodded, “It will all be done as you wish, my lord.”.

Only a month later, I sat on my horse and overlooked the plains of Kirkuk, the fertile plains of Kirkuk. Quartered all over the city where my men and their horses, we met with no opposition as it had gone according to plan. The army of the Qara-Kuyunlu had tried to defend Tabriz and pulled all its men out of Kirkuk and Adzerbaijan. We were just in time to capture the fort they were building here and I got a message from Abdullah that they did the same in Baku. My men were preparing my bed in the palace where only two weeks ago, Qara Yúsuf Emir of the Qara-Koyunlu had slept, confident that the only threat came from the north, from the Ak-Koyunlu. How wrong he was.
My chambers where nice, not as nice as those in the palace of Bagdad, but still nice. For days now, I had enjoyed the company of my new harem when a servant informed me of the arrival of two of my emissaries, one from the Timurid horde and one from the Ak-Koyunlu. I hurried to the throne room. As I took my place on the pillows, I saw my servant taking his place by the entrance. “Show them in.” I said. The servant clapped his hands and two men came in through the entrance, a bell shaped entrance. The two men walked until they were at about four meters away from me, there they kneeled. I spoke slowly “Yes?”, one of the men looked up “My lord, I bring a message from the Khan, he has been angered by your refusal to withdraw your troops from Kirkuk and Adzerdaijan and wonders where his scutage is, you have not paid the Khan for two months.” He looked down again and the other raised his head. “My lord, the Emir of the Ak-Koyunlu has accepted your gifts and sent his daughter to confirm the alliance between our two nations.” The second man also lowered his head and the two men left my throne room. I couldn’t help to smile. I looked at my servant “Send a man to Adzerbaijan to bring Abdullah to me, we will have to discuss our new move.” As the servant left the room, I looked up at the flags hanging from the walls. Four flags, and a lot of space to use. Now all there was to do was to think of a way of keeping the Mongols off.

Ncie start I would like to see how this plays out. Are you in the GC so you start as a vassal. Just me the perfectionist speaing, but Muhammid was in lower Saudi Arabi not Iraq and he had no large amount of land to pass on, but it stilll is a great start.

Is it not true that the Kaliphas of Bagdad were the decendents of Muhammed the Prophet?
And this is indeed in the grand campaign.
In game terms:
I made an alliance with the Timurid empire and declared war on Qara-koyunlu, I took Kirkuk and Adzerbaijan which still didn't have fortresses and waited for the Timurid empire to take Tabriz. Then I made peace with Qara-koyunlu gaining these two provinces, I was the leader of the alliance since I declared war. I then broke my alliance with the Timurid empire.
To prevent Ak-koyunlu from attacking me (they have a claim on Adzerbaijan) I send them a gift, they offered me a royal marriage and I made an alliance with them and I broke my vassalization with the Timurid Empire (hoping they don't use the casus belly to declare war).

Last edited:
Johan de Witt said:
Is it not true that the Kaliphas of Bagdad were the decendents of Muhammed the Prophet?
And this is indeed in the grand campaign.
In game terms:
I made an alliance with the Timurid empire and declared war on Qara-koyunlu, I took Kirkuk and Adzerbaijan which still didn't have fortresses and waited for the Timurid empire to take Tabriz. Then I made peace with Qara-koyunlu gaining these two provinces, I was the leader of the alliance since I declared war. I then broke my alliance with the Timurid empire.
To prevent Ak-koyunlu from attacking me (they have a claim on Adzerbaijan) I send them a gift, they offered me a royal marriage and I made an alliance with them and I broke my vassalization with the Timurid Empire (hoping they don't use the casus belly to declare war).

That is some well thought out diplomacy. I would say that he best handy work I have ever heard of being done with diplomats.

The Kaliphate is usually good for a ride. I wish you luck. If you play as well as that round of diplomacy, I feel sorry for any that stand up to the Kaliphate this game!

:)

Johan de Witt said:

The 'Abbasid Caliphs were related to the Prophet's family but were not Muhammad's direct descendents. They claimed desecnt from the family of Muhammad's uncle 'Abbas, and built the city of Baghdad for the explicit purpose of making it their capital after they overthrew the 'Ummayad Dynasty in 751 AD (The 'Ummayads ruled from Damascus).

I've always wanted to play the Kaliphate and was planning to set my next AAR in the Middle East, but you beat me to it :p . Best of luck, and be careful allying with Ak Koyonlu, since the Ottomans will probably get around to attacking them sooner or later.

Diary of Hussein al Meched, emissary to the Kalipha

This morning, I arrived at Isfahan. This city is justly named the pearl of persia, second in beauty only by the splendor of Bagdad. The Isfahan bazaars are filled with merchant goods from all over the coast of the indian ocean. Here we find the fine clothes from India, the jewelry of Persia, spices from Indonesia and pottery from China. Here a man can find every delight imaginable. But… Sins lurk in these streets, prostitution is high in these houses, corruption runs rampant and cutthroats lurk in the back alleys and dark streets. The city is a shadow of what it had once been and what it could be once again.
I proceeded to the palace of the Ayatolla, now a mere puppet of the Khan. Once given entrance, I hurried to the gardens. The Ayatolla never awaits me in his chambers, ever in his lush gardens. We talked about the plans made to defeat the Khan’s army, the persians are willing to gamble all just to live in freedom again. The Ayatolla had set up message to the Kalipha, while they think alike about defeating the Khan, they always argue about religion. How could it not be.
On my way back, I saw some remarkable things. Men were loading their ships and packing their horses with all their belongings. When I asked them what they were doing, they told me they were leaving, to find their destiny in Bagdad. They held the Koran and proclaimed they would follow the Kalipha and forsaked the Ayatolla. This could not be good for the relations.

In the palace of the Kalipha

All had gone acording to plan, we had taken Kirkuk and Adzerbaijan and the Khan had not attacked us because he was preoccupied with the Persians and their revolts. I heard footsteps, many footsteps. All of a sudden, at least twenty of my soldiers stood in my throne room. Abdullah was with them, “My lord, we can only guess at the intentions of Allah, but he has send the Hedjaz on us!” he paused for a moment, “we must bring you to safety at once!” I nodded and walked with my men to the stables and saw an emissary standing there. “My lord, I knew I would find you here, I have a message from the Ayatolla.” I took the letter and noticed the seal, the official seal of the Ayatolla, the one without the face of Timur Lenkh. The Ayatolla was obviously ready to start his revolt. I mounted my horse and spoke to Abdullah “are my men far?” he looked at me with a broad smile, “no my lord, they are just outside the city, we could reach them within the day.” We left to return the next evening, surprising the Hedjaz.
After I had inspected my men, I turned my attention do Abdullah. “Abdullah, I want you to do this your way, I read your notes on modern warfare and have decided that you may try it.” Naturally, Abdullah looked surprised, “Lord.. b-but Lord, do you mean that?” “offcourse do I mean that, otherwise I would not say it, now would I?” Abdullah nodded and rode to the ranks of men standing in the nightsky with a smile on his face. I saw him talking to his officers and riding to a regiment of footsoldiers. I turned my attention to my meal as it was just being served.
As the army advanced, the cavalry was dismounted. They all set up in a straight line and lit their torches, a lot of surprised faces where to be seen in the Hedjaz camp who had just started their siege on Bagdad. The commanders of the Hedjaz tried to organize their stupified men into an assault only failing to keep it orderly. The enemy cavalry charged and were met with a rain of arrows fired at point blank by the dismounted cavalry. As the cavalry had shot their arrows, they stepped back into line and mounted their horses again, making way for the footsoldiers, armed with pikes, to step in and catch the remaining enemy cavalry. As the cavalry fled, so did the rest of the army and my cavalry, now ready to charge, did so eagerly. Discipline and new tactics had won me this battle. I thanked Allah and looked at Abdullah who rode my way with the head of the Hedjaz commander. I could only think that a new era had started, this way my army could defeat anyone.
A few months later Mecca and Jordan were part of my empire and what remained of the Hedjaz was taken in by Aden. We had made a connection to the red sea and trading possibilities with the Mamluks were created. I returned to Bagdad to be hailed as a hero. I truly was blessed. Even the sultan of the Ak-Koyunlu took time to congratulate me in personal, whilst he was very occupied with fighting the remaining small saltanates and emirates in Anatolia. A solid block was forming in the north where my allies had gained the help from the Ottomans and Karaman.

This is a nice story and looks like an interesting country to play. In fact, I was thinking about playing the Caliphate soon, so this is great -- I'll follow along with your story and see what mistakes I need to avoid! :D Seriously, you seem to be off to a great start, certainly not just a 1-province little guy anymore.

Here's hoping you can play off the Khan and the Ayatollah and grab Isfahan for yourself. :)

Great start to this one... I'm in for the duration. So who's next on the agenda to all to your swords? :cool:

I enjoyed the use of 1st person, I think writing an aar from that perspective can truly make it shine.

Update please. And keep to 1st person. ;)

A noice, shouting and screaming… I woke up bathing in sweat. It took me some time to realize that I was dreaming. I had dreamt about Isfahan and saw my flag waving over its mosque to be burned by men waving the persian flag. What should I think of this, is it an omen or just foolishness? I stood up from my bed and walked to the window. As I looked out I saw some clouds gathering over Bagdad and a lot of commotion in the harbour, at once I knew what had happened and I rushed to the door. While running through the corridors, I got dressed. There was the door the general’s quarters, I opened the doors and saw three surprised men sitting in the room. Abdullah, my trusted general was in a discussion with Achmed, my minister of foreign matters. Next to them was Hussein, the emissary who undertook relation with the Khan. I raised my voice, “Why wasn’t I told?” Silence followed and the men lowered their heads. “Why must I find out myself, if the Ayatolla had visited me this morning I wouldn’t have known. Imagine what kind of impression that would have made!” Again silence followed, until Hussein had the courage to speak. “We didn’t want to wake you my lord.” Hussein looked at me with a face as if he’d been caught stealing cookies. But in my good mood, I couldn’t stay mad. “Tell me, how much?” Achmed raised his head and was obviously releaved, “All the way up to Tabaristan and Isfahan.” I couldn’t believe it, Persia had been in a chaos for the last decade but the Khan was always succesful in crushing the revolters, until now. I looked at Abdullah, the man I trusted most.”So it includes Tabriz, Hamadan and Azwah?” “Yes my lord.” Abdullah said. “Most of Persia is in our hands and the Khan has decided to focus on the south and east of his empire, he is on a campaign in India.” I turned my head to the servant that followed me from my room, “Prepare a feast for tonight, we have something to celebrate.” But I had not forgotten my dream and looked to Abdullah, “Abdullah, send my army to Isfahan and appoint one of your Marshalls with the task of forming a new army here in Bagdad and while you are in Isfahan, add some Persians to your ranks to keep them from forming independent militias.” Abdullah nodded and left the room. I was in a state of euphoria, my empire now reached the Red sea in the west and the Indian ocean in the east, the Kaspian sea in the North and almost to the horn of Africa in the south.

:cool: Great and mighty have the swords of the Kaliphate become! :cool:

Where will those swords strike next, the world wonders with baited breath!

Dreams can come in handy

A always did love the Caliphate (what's with the K:s?)... and this AAR is pretty good too! :)

Also: SCREENSHOTS!!!1! (Someone had to say it, you know.)

Still holding our breath waiting for an update.... :eek: I think I just heard somebody finally pass out from lack of oxygen!