• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Minodrin

Jäg. Holmberg
15 Badges
Jul 26, 2001
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities in Motion
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Magicka
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Chapter 1 : King Mikael Stenfeldt and the early years.

In the summer of 1835 the Russian Tsar was wounded on the head and the time that he wasn?t sleeping in his bed he was very mentally unaware of the current situation. This coincided with a popular wave of independence in the Tsars personal Grand Duchy of Finland. Duke Mikael Stenfeldt led the nobles who demanded total independence from Russia, and several revolts against the Russian garrisons in Finland occurred. And the Russians had problems of their own at the time, the loss of a province not fully a part of the Russian empire seemed a very small matter at the time, and no-one lifted a finger to stop the independence of Finland. Mikael Stenfeldt was crowned king in the capital city of Helsinki on Jan 1st, 1836. As Finland became independent 4 frigates and a clipper-transportation unit crewed by Finns broke away from the Russian fleet and sailed for Turku.

Finland1836.jpg

Finland on 1st of January, 1836

The King decided that the nation should buy all the materials it might require as soon as possible, as other nations would soon lose interest in the cause of the young nation, and Finland would not be the most preferable nation to sell too for long. So machine parts and other industrial goods were ordered, as were impressive uniforms for a future army of bureaucrats. And as the state and royal family had managed to loot much gold from the former Russian estates and beg money from various European noble families, this spending spree didn?t send Finland into a debt of any kind.

To industrialize the country it was decided by the united nobility that Finland should exploit her own national resources and construct a industrial base in southwestern Finland based on the extensive timber resources of the nation. Just as the king was in a symbolic way shovelling away the first dirt to make a foundation for the first real factory a small boy came running with news that the United States of Central America had allied with Texas. Since this alliance turned out not to force the UCSA to fight Mexico, no one really bothered for more than a few minutes.

Later the same year the kings fear that Finland would be unable to purchase the goods she required turned out to be true as the governments merchants were unable to aquire cement or military goods from anywhere. A move by the king to institute some social reforms were also rejected both noble parties were in one way or another Laissez Faire.

Still, progress was inevitable, and once the first factory was up and running, everyone in Europe seemed so impressed that Finland found no troubles purchasing all the goods she required. Most of the industry was centred in and around the old capital of the Swedish era, Turku, but plans were made to industrialize the new capital Helsinki too. In the summer of 1837 Russia finally overcame her annoyance at loosing control of Finland, and instead gave a guarantee of independence to Finland. Late in July that same summer Texas finally surrendered to Mexico.

In Autumn of the same year the king decided that the middle-class must be supported, so that research would be helped. No middle-class people would have to pay any tax whatsoever. Of course the middle-class at this time consisted solely of the clergy in Finland, which paid so little taxes anyway that practically no income. Next year in January the Ottomans invaded the Egyptians, or the other way around. Everyone in Finland was too cold to care at the moment, although the king wondered if he should try and support the OE in return for a strategically placed island or who in the Mediterranean. France caused some jokes however when it first dishonoured her guarantee of independence to Egypt, then the next day signed a defensive alliance, which would naturally only go active in the next war. Around the same time the UK went to war with her old colony, the USA.

A year later nothing much had changed, only that the king had grown a bit older and hurt his leg once while riding in the forest. Finland had taken some loans to be able to create some kind of real middle-class, and the UK had annexed half of Liberia and occupied the area around Washington in the USA. The USA in turn had occupied parts of Canada and the western North-America. The UK seemed to believe itself unstoppable as it had huge parts of the area around Washington occupied by summer, it even decided to invade China over some issue that was not considered newsworthy by the state-press in Finland. The great new technological advances made by the new middle class took most of the newspaper coverage, and everyone wondered if Finland might be able to compete with the major European nations even. The difficulties of a two-front war became apparent in London soon however, and the UK signed a white-peace with the USA.

The King seemed to start developing some small-scale mental problems however, as he marched the peoples-army, a band of farmers with pitchforks and axes, trough the muddy streets of the capitol. This instance, and the loads of alcohol served, did however make the foreign diplomats who were observing a bit more amiable against the Finnish people, giving prestige to Finland. The beautiful autumn on 1840 also inspired various authors into writing dreams of how great Finland would be one day. Priding themselves as the nation with the 26th greatest industrial power (right between Saxony and Hannover), everyone was certain that sooner or later Finland would outrank even her neighbours, Sweden, ranked 10th, and Russia, ranked 4th. The King did not find these dreams too inspiring, but the young crown-prince spoke of them in such a voice that many were deeply moved by his words.

This game was played with version 1.03, UMP 0.2, normal/normal. I started as Russia, released Finland as a satellite, then edited away the satellite status. If anyone wants the Jan 1, 1836 save, message me.

That's a nice start! It will be interesting to see what choices Finland makes.

(Just a minor point: could you resize the screenshots so they're not so wide? On my screen (1024*768) an unmodified screenshot from Vicky causes a horisontal scrollbar to appear, which is slightly annoying. IMHO something like 900 pixels wide is good.)

Yes, I'll try to edit them later. I didn't think of it as it only fills 3/4 of my screen.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy this although with the rather low Finnish population there won't be much war...

Mr.Kaputt said:
An finnish aar! dis is sooo :cool: keep it going! btw good start
You may want to edit finnish pop figures little bit higher, since in 1836 there were 1.4 mil finns living inside the border of Grand Duchy (there were lots of finns in St Petersburg, ingrians). In game there is only 800k finns in 1836 and that is too low number. Add 50k farmers (maybe 40k finnish and 10k swedish)to Nyland and 50k into the province of Tampere, and some 25k farmers (finnish) and 25 farmers (swedish) in to the province of Vaasa. Add also 50k farmers into the province of Viipuri (Viipuri was second biggest town in Finland after all)

Cool - Finland. I'm not sure I've seen one yet for Victoria. Sounds very interesting. :cool:

Well, since I have already played until the 1870's it might be a tad too late to edit the population. Anyway, I could add those pops to the originial savefile.

OH MY GOD!!!!

Finland is 86% anit military!!!

This is terrible, a concientous people with high morals will never build an empire!!!

Chapter 2, Economic Growth

The war between the Ottoman Empire and Egypt ended in August 1842, when Egypt agreed to give up parts of her Asian holdings to the Ottoman Empire. Meanwhile in east-Asia Russia and the Netherlands were theoretically in a colonial war, although no combat is said to have taken place.

In Finland there were great talks about how Finland would finally enter the modern age as construction was started on a railway system running between Helsinki and Turku. Construction was heavy and fast, and although the network was not very extensive when the first trains started running next spring, it was a very important improvement. The King himself struck down the last nail as the rail-lines met in the village of Karis. Celebrations were held in almost all villages and towns that the railroad and the few sub-lines ran trough. The mood in the royal palace was less cheerful however as Russia and Sweden signed a military alliance.

In the autumn of 43 the last male descendant of the af Jernfeldt family died away, leaving all the remaining assets of his family to the crown. Although much was reassigned to minor lords which supported the independence movement in 1835, much was sold to foreign people in return for money. The money was immensely useful as the state-debt was paid away and there was still enough money left in the state coffers to form the first Finnish army brigade, located in Viipuri. As the king saw what money could accomplish in such a short time he got greedy. Finland had always had a rather small income, but with a few thousands in extra wealth the nation could reform in years rather than decades. Technology was traded with Russia, and as Finland got technology in return too, so that she would not be seen as someone poor enough to have to sell secret technology to the highest bidder, Finland was able to gain almost limitless wealth from the trade. The day after the technology-deal was signed construction of railroads in the metal-rich areas of inner-Finland was ordered.

The following years passed quietly, as the king was sawing up money to build an extensive railroad-network around Tampere. Currently to reach the iron mines of Kajaani trains had to pass either trough Vasa or Mikkeli. Turku was still the largest city in the nation at this time, and a very important port.

Infra1846.jpg

The European Railway-system of 1846

1847 shocked the world however, as Germany and Hannover went to war against Denmark, Sweden and Holstein over the Slesvig question. Wars had been plentiful before, even now many European powers were at war with Burma, but never before had a war been this close to Finland, who still was unable to field even a single division. This sparked massive demands in the press for more jingoism, and the population listened. Even the young crown-prince asked his father why Finland could not field even a minimum-sized division, as even uncivilized minors were capable of raising divisions.

In late spring the king decided to organize the 1st Metsäjääkäri, division. Of course as the national population was still less than a million, the cost needed to arm and supply even a single division was quite costly, especially as many new army brigades would have to be formed all around Finland, the largest of which was now Tornion Prikaati.

In the summer the war in Europe escalated as the Netherlands joined the Scandinavic alliance in their war against Prussia and Hannover. Krakow also joined the Scandinavians, something everyone else in Europe saw a suicidal. This move also sparked a great debate in Finland about the usefulness of Jingoism, until young baron Kiviniemi asked what army Finland should fight with exactly. Two weeks later there were news of even more war on the horizon as Mexico decided to declare war on the USA. The war in Europe went poorly for the Germans, and before the year ended Hannover was forced to sign a white-peace, as Holstein and the Dutch were happily marching towards the city of Hannover. In the Prussian Rhineland the battles were heavy, with the Dutch armies marching on Cologne. Krakow fell to a minor Prussian force though, and Luxeburg was still occupied by Prussia. Mexico had succeeded in annexing Texas also, which was a quite minor issue in the eyes of most Europeans.

By March the Dutch had reached the Prussian-French border already, and there seemed no stopping them, if it wasn?t for the neutral nations between the Rhineland and Berlin. The war would continue in the Rhineland for a long time as Prussia poured reinforcements from the east to the parts they still held. Sweden quit the war during the summer, and soon thereafter signed an alliance again with Russia. Finland tried to make a deal with Russia to trade some technologies, but the Russians were quite uninterested at the price that greedy king Mikael demanded. In America the USA had occupied most of former Texas, and was currently marching towards the Mexican homeland. The Mexicans still held strong in the west though, and no-one was quite certain how the war would turn out.

In the spring on 1849 the situation finally improved for the Prussians, who managed to retake the northern Rhineland and even occupy Arnhem in late march. Plans were also made to move south and liberate Cologne. Finland also finally managed to finish a new technology-trading deal with Russia, and with relations soaring high, soon thereafter Russia decided to guarantee the independence of Finland. By summer a white peace was signed between Prussia and the Netherlands, and everyone wondered if Denmark would fall soon. King Mikael also started to become more distant from planning for the future, leaving crown prince Johan, called Juhani by most of the population, in a position to lead the people. After much discussion the decision was made to form a second division, the 1st Rannikkojääkäri division. Transport ships for this second division were also ordered from Europe. The prince masterminded a plan to invade the small Indian state of Kutch. Kutch had gonebankrupt earlier, and no-one in Europe would think any less of Finland if this small nation was to vanish from the face of the earth.

Oh, and I'll be away for the weekend so it might be until Sunday that I post again. But I hope everyone enjoys what I have written so far, and are not too dismayed by the fact that I assumed that the Finnish nobility would be rather Swedish of origin, atleast still in 1836.

I'd watch what you sell to the Russians. I see you are going for a little protection, but if that ever runs sour, you'll wish you had not given them anything. Other than that, you seem well on your way. The Army will come. Industrialization must come first. And perhaps a few colonies to boost manpower.

Actually the Russians were the ones who sold me most of the military technology. And an Estonian province has bit more sentimental value than a odd Asian of African one.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Interesting country and nice writing. Please, keep it up!

Jaaa!!! 1 KJK (or KJD I suppose it should be now) :D

Kjk är vårat hem...

P.S I found a picture of the "would-be" finnish royal crown that was planned for our king Prince Karl of Hessen, but as he abdicated in 1918 it was not finished until 1988. It is now in display at the Kemi gemstonegallery.

suomen_kuninkaan_kruunu_pieni.jpg

king Prince Karl of Hessen
Yes indeed. I though about using the Hessenian family as kings first, but practical reasons made me think otherwise (Hesse-Kassel, Hesse-Darmstadt...)

And apparently someone else went to Dragsvik KJK. :cool:

Anyway, next update on Sunday then.

Please let me know what you think of the parties. I've never actually played a long enough game as Finland to check how they work although I made them with Nikolai II :ashamed: