• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zan Thrax

Rebel Scum
91 Badges
Mar 4, 2001
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • King Arthur II
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Impire
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
This is my first attempt at writing an AAR. I am going to try a game whose goals and overall theme I had the idea for last summer, using the new AGCEEP. To try and create something that may be interesting to read, I am planning to write each post as a “History of” a certain topic. For example, the first entry will be an account of the First War of Moorish Conquest.

A few general notes on this AAR: First; I will not be playing very far ahead. While foreshadowing and hinting at the long-term repercussions of the events might add some flavour, I just don’t think I could maintain the ambition to write the AAR if I’m writing a hundred years or more behind what I’m playing. Second; while I enjoy history, I am no buff. I will most likely present historical persons in ways that are completely contrary to their true natures. I assure anyone who takes umbrage to my abuse of their 15th century idols that I mean no offence. Third; I have very limited knowledge of Spanish, and none of the difference between Catalonian and Castilian; any suggestions on names for my historians would be appreciated. Finally; I have not played the new AGCEEP, or read the events to any great extent. Other than discovering that I will have to annex Castille to form Spain myself, I have no idea what events are coming.

The goals of King Alfons V of Aragon:
Make the Western Mediterranean an Aragonese lake.
Unify Italy, Iberia, and North Africa under Aragon.
Convert the barbarian Moslems to Christianity.

My goals:
Form Spain as Aragon.
Make the Mediterranean a Spanish lake.
Unify Italy, Iberia, North Africa, South France, and West Africa under Spain
Finish the game with South America, Central America, and the West and South coasts of North America all controlled by Spain. If possible, finish with all of North America.
Convert all land controlled by Spain to Catholicism.

Last edited:
The western Mediterranean on January 1 1419

14190101.png

Last edited:
The First War of Moorish Conquest

As recorded by Brother Pedro of Huesca this 5th day of August, in the year of our lord 1421 Anno Domini

On the eve of January 1, 1419, King Alfons V of Aragon, long may he reign, received a vision from God. Our great King learned that it is the fate of Aragon to unite the Christian lands of the Mediterranean against the Moslem peoples of Africa and take the Word of God to them. In order that Aragon might realize her destiny, our august ruler King Alfons declared that we must prepare for war. Aragon’s mighty fleet was launched and the army mobilized.

With everything in readiness for the coming conquest, our exalted King Alfons boarded the flagship of the Aragonese navy at midday on February 11. Even though none but the King yet knew his plan, or even which nation was to be the target of their swords, the army’s confidence remained high. And why not? So long as the tremendous might and skill of our King led them, they knew they could not fail.

Having reached the Coast of Barbary on the afternoon of May 1, our great King sent word to the Moors of Tlemcen. War was upon them, and if they chose to surrender and convert now, then their pitiful lives would be spared. When news of our attack reached the rulers of neighbouring Tunisia, they wisely chose to demonstrate Moorish loyalty and honour by abandoning their military alliance, leaving Tlemcen to fend for itself. Even as the Moslems were reacting as expected to our offer of conversion, I was witness to the glorious sight of King Alfons riding onto the sands of Al-Djazair while lit by the setting sun.

With the siege well underway, the Aragonese fleet was sent back to the Gulf of Valencia to provide transportation for our reinforcements. They arrived at the harbour in the middle of the night on July 12. A week later, before the reinforcements could be brought aboard our ships, a small fleet of Barbarian warships attacked the mighty galleys of Aragon. Lacking any capacity for close combat, the Tlemcen fleet was quickly dispatched; of the ten attackers, only five ships survived the battle. Irritatingly, another small fleet of ships arrived to attack our navy before they could take on passengers. As each fleet was driven off, another arrived to mount a new attack. This continued for nearly half a year, until the commodore, tired of ramming the hordes of Moslem warships into splinters, fell back to the Baleares on December 1. After four and half months of constant battle in the Gulf of Valencia, Aragon’s sailors were tired, and needed to rest. The armada left the wreckage of many of Tlemcen’s ships at the bottom of the Gulf, without having lost a single ship to the suicidal hordes.

On the morning of January 1, 1420, the moors of Al-Djazair surrendered the city, proving beyond doubt the Divine nature of King Alfons' premonition one year earlier. After allowing a few hours of looting to his victorious troops, our most wise King ordered the army to march west to Orania, leaving the city as a safe landing site for the reinforcements — should they ever manage to leave the coast of Valencia. During the march from Al-Djazair to Oran, Tlemcen’s only significant resistance to Aragon’s invasion was met in the field. The battle, lasting from June 13 to June 16 was, as can only be expected when the tactical genius of the King of Aragon leads, a brilliant victory, with less than half of the Tlemcen army left alive to flee across the border into Morocco.

On April 25, La Coronela was finally able to board the fleet and set sail for Al-Djazair. They arrived at the city on June 26, 1420; nearly a year after they were originally expected. Still, with his Majesty, King Alfons V, nearly in control of Orania, a second army marching on Constantine in the south, and less than 4,000 men defending the Tlemcen capital Biskra, our eventual victory cannot be doubted.

To celebrate the new year, his Majesty, King Alfons, granted the commander of La Coronela, one Braccio di Monteone, the rank of General. The new General is regarded as a brilliant commander, although in no way as skilled or talented as our wondrous King, and should be able to take Constantine in short order.

Showing foolishly little sense of self-preservation, the last remnants of Tlemcen’s armies threw themselves against the war machine of King Alfons on January 27, 1421. After that skirmish, not a single man remained of the Tlemcen army. All that remained was to seize her cities and force her to surrender. With its tiny garrison, Constantine fell quickly. After June 24, only the capital remained outside of Aragon’s hands.

Aragon’s victory, never in doubt, became total on July 29, 1421. With Biskra taken, Tlemcen was defeated. They will be allowed to keep their capital, but the rest of their land will now be Aragon’s.

It will be interesting to see if General di Monteone is able to defeat Christian armies as easily as he slaughters Moors. Milan has recently betrayed the agreement between our nations, essentially slapping our great King in the face. Alfons has made it clear that this affront will not stand; all our forces are now moving towards Genoa. Corsica will be ours, traitorous Italians be damned!

Last edited:
Brother Pedro of Huesca? Admittedly I'm biased towards monkish histories ;)

Good start though. By writing something as a (nearly) contemporary chronicle you can avoid any niggles about foreshadowing. If the character didn't know, how could he foreshadow? etc. etc.

I hope you find aar-ing enjoyable.

Nice start.

Zan Thrax said:
As recorded by ? of Valencia
[OOC]Anyone want to suggest a name for this sycophant?[/OOC]

How about Sancho? :D

(The narrator in my Aragón AAR from 1419-1434 is Sancho de Valencía, thus the recommendation. :) Oh, and this reminds me, I need to play further in that game and update the AAR!)

Yes you do Judas. Your AARs are some of the few that I make a point of reading.
I don't think your Sancho could be the author of that bit of butt-kissery that is my first war report. Besides, Stynlan got the first suggestion in. The second war's tone is already set, but the third one could be intentionally written Sancho-style.

Synlan, the entries are being written as very contemporary. After I post the second entry later today, check out the date I achieved peace with Tlemcen and then look at the date that Brother Pedro wrote his history.

Thanks for the support guys; it's nice to know someone's reading.

Oh, btw, can everyone see the maps properly? I like png, but I'm not sure everyone can see them.

Last edited:
The Ambition of King Alfons V of Aragon

As recounted by Luis Balboa in the fall of the year of our lord 1423 Anno Domini.

Word came on July 20, 1421, while we were still marching to the Barbary Coast. Instead of returning home to see our families as promised after our successful siege of Constantine, General di Monteone was to lead us to Genoa. It seems that rather than risk war with both Aragon and Milan, Genoa had submitted to Milanese authority. A reasonable, cautious leader would have seen this as the end of any chance at Corsica. Unfortunately, King Alfons V of Aragon—my King—is neither reasonable nor cautious. Military access was quickly arranged through Savoy and the Dauphin’s lands so that the recently formed Miquelets could start a long march to Piemonte. We were to meet them there and join their force to ours. Aragon’s next war was being planned and prepared for before the first was even finished.

With the prospect of a new war; a war against a capable foe (commonly thought to be a superior foe, though none would dare say so to the King), Alfons pushed his men hard. His commanders, eager to end the siege and avoid the King’s wrath, devised a great many schemes to hasten the Moorish surrender. Some say the desecration of the enemy’s dead broke the defenders spirit. Some believe that bribery of some guards at a postern gate ended the battle. Others say that the threats against the women and children in the Aragon-controlled countryside provoked the surrender. Still others believe that the nobility in the capital were assured of their own survival if they relented. In all likelihood, it was the combination of all these efforts, and others unrecorded that caused the siege to end a mere nine days after the “Milanese Betrayal”.

Leaving a disfavoured, but capable courtier behind in Biskra to dictate his terms (which were not agreed to until late September), Alfons marched hard to the coast where his army joined ours. As we crossed the Mediterranean, General di Monteone spent his time planning for different scenarios of war against Genoa while the King spent it holding impromptu court and discussing the events of the First War of Moorish Conquest with Brother Pedro, his royal chronicler.

Last edited:
Hmmm... 1421 - how about starting again? I also had CTD problems the first time I played with the EEP. I started again from scratch, and everything went fine the second time around.

An account of Aragon's first Italian War

As recounted by Luis Balboa in the fall of the year of our lord 1423 Anno Domini.

Once our fleet crossed the Mediterranean, it became obvious why Genoa was willing to submit to Milan, if not why Milan was willing to let them off so easily: Genoa was nearly defenceless. She had no armies in Liguria or on Corsica, and her home navy consisted solely of two ancient hulks barely floating in the city’s bay. King Alfons was overjoyed at this discovery, and suggestions that it would be unsporting to attack the helpless Genoese went unheeded, as did the fact that it would be necessary to take both Liguria and Corsica in order to force the Italian traders to accept Aragonese ownership of the island. His Highness Alfons had decided he wanted something, and by God, it would be his; that it appeared easy to take just made him more determined that he deserved the spoils of the ensuing war.

With his supply of useful messengers exhausted, Alfons was unable to seek allies before declaring war. Which suited Alfons fine, since his Highness was loath to share the bounty of his aggression anyhow. Thus, on December 20, 1420, Genoa received a declaration of war delivered by a page in a rowboat. On January 19, 1421, di Monteone and King Alfons landed on Corsica while the Miquelets arrived in Liguria. So began the campaign now known as the Ambition of King Alfons V of Aragon.

While Genoa was weak in the west, di Monteone had to assume that she had more substantial fleets and armies protecting her Crimean holdings in the Black Sea, and that they would be brought home given time. As well as that nebulous threat, Milan, Hungary, and Luxembourg had all honoured their alliance, much to Aragon’s surprise. Luxembourg was of little importance, but Hungary had large supplies of manpower should she take interest in the plight of her Italian friends.

Milan, unlike Genoa, was prepared for war and possessed sufficient wealth to reinforce and resupply indefinitely. When di Monteone presented his concerns over the potential scope of this new war, King Alfons declared that he would leave the siege of Corsica to the General and lay siege to Parma “since the fleet’s blockading the port anyhow. After all, I always wanted a piece of Italy to rule. René was just telling me about this new pizza thing they’ve got there. Besides, Milan ought to be punished for breaking our agreement.”

Authors Note: While I’ve made my opinion of my King as clear as I dare, I wonder if this “War of Retribution”, as Alfons named it at the time will be remembered as anything other simply a small part of the larger of chaos of the day.

As Aragonese troops marched through France and Savoy, they had to go around English armies as they fought the Dauphin and the Duc. The Aragonese fleet calmly blockaded three ports at once while His Holiness’ ships chased Siena’s around the Ligurian Sea. Milan and Hungary were too busy crushing the Venetian main to send a sizable force across the Pô, allowing Alfons all the time he needed to steal Emilia from them. I would call him brilliant had he not simply relied on blind luck and arrogance to carry the day.

The world burned around us, and my King laughingly hosted feasts on the field outside Parma. Perhaps his indifference was not so unusual though; Henry V of England simultaneously fought both France and the Dauphin to a standstill. Poland and Lithuania decimated both the Teutonic and the Livonian Knights for no real reason other than the ability to do so. Muscovy ate most of Novgorod while the Danes and their lackeys tried to take the entire Baltic coast. The descendants of Osman finished off Rome once and for all. With such bloody ambition commonplace in the world of 1421, will anyone remember the greed of one Spanish King over all the other atrocities of the time?​

Corsica fell to General di Monteone on October 16, 1422, with not a single Aragonese soldier lost to the long siege. Initially planning to immediately move his forces to the mainland, the arrival of a Genoese fleet forced him to waste the entire season setting up the occupation’s command structure. Even as his highest General languished on Corsica, King Alfons took Parma, and decided to move on to Lombardia and “show Milan what it meant to betray a King”.

Alfons knew better than to waste men crossing a forcing of the river. Time, unlike men, Alfons could spare, and so he wisely began the long march back to Piemont, so that he could attack Lombardia from the west, negating the defensive value of the Pô.[anchorlink=foot1][size=-2]1[/size][/anchorlink]​

Either Alfons V was the luckiest King alive, or Ferdinand IV was as large an opportunist as Aragon’s own sovereign. Even as our armies were pulling out of Emilia, Tyrol declared war on Milan, splitting their defensive efforts even farther.

The year of our lord, 1423 began with a surprise development; the Genoese army, which Aragon’s leaders had long wondered about, revealed itself. They had landed in Rousillon in the dark on New Year’s Eve. Despite the initial alarm, no troops were sent home to lift the siege, for Aragon seems to be developing a new tradition: raising troops on the first day of January each year. The new Exèrcit de les Illes put an end to the Genoese siege in June.

General di Monteone managed to move his troops to Piemonte in January, at which point he chose the best thousand men of his command to follow him to Genoa, ordering the remainder to join the King’s efforts against Milan. Our force arrived at walls of Genoa in late January, and it became clear that the General had chosen the most difficult task for himself.

Genoa’s walls were high and thick, and the city was still well stocked, even though our forces had cut the city off for nearly a full year already. Winning this siege would take skill and intellect, not aggression and an over inflated sense of entitlement.

While having Milan distracted by the Austrian alliance was a boon to Aragon’s efforts, having their armies move into Liguria was not. With the Germanic horde eating most of the pizza in Liguria, Alfons was forced to send his entire army, except for his personal guard and the translators that allowed him to retain command of the siege, forward to Mantua.

The army arrived in mid April and reorganized themselves into a single cohesive unit just in time to begin fighting off the remnants of Milan’s armies, who had retreated yet again from their attempts to dislodge the siege in Lombardia.

Liguria fell in May, allowing Alfons to rejoin his army in Mantua and lead them against the Hungarians who had finally decided to make a show of assisting Genoa and Milan. Since they retreated from their only engagement after only a single day, a show is likely all that Hungary had in mind when they marched into Italy in the first place.

On June 16, General di Monteone, standing on the smashed remnants of Genoa’s main gate, forced the Genoese to sign over Corsica in exchange for peace, quite literally at sword point. With the original goal of the war now obtained, the men of the army expected to return home. The officers and the General however, or at least those who had spoken to our King, realized that peace would not come so swiftly.

The war did not finally end until November 16, when Mantua fell to King Alfons. Having no enemies left within reach, King Alfons, generously restrained himself to everything he could get away with in the peace negotiations with Milan. Luxembourg and Hungary, never really involved in the war in the first place, accepted white peace without comment or concern. The Ambition of King Alfons V of Aragon was sated.

For the moment.

[anchor=foot1][size=-2]1 [/size][size=-1]Taken from the battlefield notes of Brother Pedro of Huesca[/size][/anchor]

Last edited:
Zan Thrax - see my PM before you start over.

Just got my internet back up

Something went wrong with my connection on Monday, and the cable guy couldn't come out until last night. I'll finish the second part of the Genoan war, and link the screenshot in a little while.

The Ambition of King Alfons V of Aragon is complete and posted above.

I'm not going to go back and edit new entries into my exiting comments again though; I realized after I put the placeholders in there last weekend that no one will know that there is new content if there are no new posts.

Yeah I am. Thanks to the Pope, I got another chunk within months of this update, in the prelude to the next war. (The first major one actually - one of those fun half-way bad boy wars.)

First major war survived

and profited from. Bad boy was a few points over the limit for a few days, but I've now got 1.1 points of breathing room and peace treaties with almost every western european nation, not to mention some more territory. New entry sometime tommorrow. In the meantime, here's a screen of the height of the war:
14290407.png

How'd you manage to avoid war with England? You're at war with almost all your other neighbors...