• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Brinoch

Corporal
7 Badges
Jan 23, 2004
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • 500k Club
This is both my first AAR as well as my first post in these forums. I've been inspired to write this AAR by the great works by Commandante and Farquarson. I picked this game up just before the Holidays when I randomly saw it in an EB at a very nice discount. I've long played HOI and waited with eager anticipation for Victoria, plus I'd heard great things about the game. It's clear that everything I heard was true. I don't much like the extreme micromanagement of the second patch for Victoria, so EU II has my (unfortunately) limited playing time for the moment.

Feel free to offer creative and instructive criticism about my writing as well as my game play.

I've only played a part of one game (as Brandenburg) prior to beginning this one, so I know there's a lot still to learn. (In case you are curious, the first game went well -- I just wanted to try a different strategy.) I selected Brandenburg because it's right in the middle of the Germanic mess. It seemed fun. As I think you'll see, it has been. :) I've only played through about 1475, and I can only play a little at a time, so this will take a while. Please be patient. Eventually, I will post some screenshots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brandenburg: Size is Strength

"All right class, I have a change for next week's reading," began Professor Diehl. "We've made it through a lot of German history, but we need to pick up the pace. We have more than six hundred years packed solid with events and activity. I want you to read Allen, Chapter 14, in addition to your assigned reading on the syllabus," the History Professor said.

"Ohh... C'mon, Professor Diehl, those are long chapters. I have several other classes, too. I can't keep up," said Matt Anderson, one of the Professor's better students.

"Well, I'm sorry, but this I have a class to teach, papers to grade, and lectures to prepare. This is not debate class, Mr. Anderson, this is H367: Medieval and Renaissance Germany. And that's the reading -- like it or not!"

To collective groans from the class, Professor Diehl packed up his notes and left for his office.

"Ugh," Matt said to his friend Rich. "This is tough reading. How did Allen ever manage to get published? The editor had to have fallen asleep every other page."

"Doubtful," said Rich. "Academics are all the same. If you know one, you know them all. They love reading boring crap about Holstein, Prussia, and Brandenbooger in the Middle Ages."

"That's Brandenburger, Rich. Burger, not booger. Jeez... you're hopeless. How do you manage to pass any courses?"

"Ancient Chinese secret my friend, ancient Chinese secret," said Rich as he turned to leave.

"Whatever. The only 'ancient Chinese secret' you know is that the Grand Dragon delivery guy can't add," cracked Matt. "Listen, I need to get started on this stuff. Chapter 14 is going to take me a long time. I'll see you this weekend for poker, right?"

"Righto! I'm gonna take some of your cash, sucker! Catch you Saturday," called Rich as he walked backwards down the hall.

With that, Matt turned and began the trek back to his dorm room and another long night of reading.

Chapter 14: 1419 - 1519
The 30 Germanies

As the 15th Century opened, the political landscape of Germany remained the same: many small, squabbling provinces with petty leaders who each claimed that they were descended from Otto, and his one true heir. Each German province was an Elector and each had a vote in determining the who would be the Holy Roman Emperor and a dream to become the Emperor. In truth, however, the Emperor led Central Europe not one whit. Certainly, the various provinces paid some attention to their elected Emperor, but they didn't obey him. The Pope, moreover, wasn't under any Emperor's thumb like they were under Otto. The Emperor collected no taxes, had no extra foot soldiers, and had no centralized control. The Holy Roman Empire was a mere shadow of the Roman Empire, and in reality was nothing more than a dream.

Over time, and with need, these petty kingdoms began arranging themselves into competing alliances. The Hanseatic alliance -- consisting of the Kingdoms of Bremen, Holstein, Mecklenburg, Pommern, Prussia and the Teutonic Order -- was the first to form. As strength in numbers was manifestly obvious, even to the petty lords of Germany, other alliances formed.

The second alliance to form was the Frederick alliance. It has been so named in recognition of Frederick I, Elector of Brandenburg's efforts as the principal architect as well as its enduring nature. In a time of constant shifting alliances, the Frederick alliance proved to be a very resilient and long-lasting alliance. It consisted first of only Brandenburg and Saxony. Frederick, however, wanted a strong, secure central German alliance, so throughout 1420 and 1421, Frederick improved his relations with the Duke of Bavaria to the point that Bavaria joined the alliance. Soon after, Wurzburg joined and Frederick forced his vassal, Magdeburg, to submit to the alliance.

In the mean time, several smaller alliances formed in the western German states: Hesse, Hannover and Mainz formed one, as did Strassburg and the Palatinate. In the south, Baden, Wurtemburg, and Austria joined with Bohemia. Still others -- Kleves, Koln, Munster, Oldenburg -- looked to England, Burgundy or France for their alliance.

Indeed, the nature of Germany and her competing alliances led to frequent wars and a nearly constant stream of new lords, new lands, and new enemies. Central Europe and Germany were Europe's Balkans in the early 1400's. Indeed, this time saw several long-lasting and vicious wars. The first was when the competing land claims of the Hanseatic Alliance and Lithuania exploded into a bloody war. Unfortunately for both alliances, the war was an indecisive affair with castles and towns shifting back and forth with great regularity.

The second war was initiated in the religion shift of Bohemia. When Bohemia's lord changed the official religion of his country away from Catholism, all her former allies broke off their alliances and shunned her. In 1421, Frederick took Brandenburg and his carefully wrought alliance into conflict with Bohemia.

It is this war which begins the Brandenburg domination of this century of German history. While the rest of the petty kingdoms fought and squabbled over land, titles and honors, Frederick and his small domain of Brandenburg began to grow. It is this alliance, specifically the leadership of Brandenburg, upon which this chapter will focus.

In April of 1421, Bavaria, Saxony, and Brandenburg all invaded and soon Bohemia's outlying provinces were besieged. Silesia fell first in June of 1422 to Frederick's favorite Colonel, Yorke. Erz soon followed as Karlsbad surrendered in early July 1422. Bavaria proved her worth to the alliance when the Sudeten region came under her control. As soon as Silesia fell, Yorke took advantage of the terrain and geography to move into Moravia in the southern part of Bohemia. As he slowly conquered the province, Brandenburg also defeated Bohemia in two convincing battles. By winning the battles of Kaaden and Prague, Brandenburg brought Bohemia to its knees. On August 3, 1423, with Moravia under allied control and her armies shattered, Bohemia gave in and sued for peace. The terms were harsh: Erz and Silesia were transferred to Brandenburg and Sudeten became a part of Bavaria.

In less than three years, Brandenburg had doubled in size and acquired very lucrative goods to trade. The other allies were doing well, too. Brandenburg extended and firmed her alliance by signing trade agreements and offering his daughters and sons in marriage. In so doing, he firmed up the alliance and intermarried his blood into their royal houses.

Another brief war tested the alliance in 1428. Magdeburg, Brandenburg's vassal, started a war with Pommern over a slight insult at a state function. Though Frederick's conduct of the war was extremely successful -- he conquered the province of Hinterpommern -- Magdeburg cut him out of the peace negotiations. Contemporary sources are all in agreement that Frederick vowed vengeance and committed himself to the extermination of his vassal for this (in his eyes) barbaric behaviour.

In the mean time, Frederick continued improving his realm by bringing innovation to his court and his cities. Significant subsidies were given in 1419 and 1429 by Frederick to inventors and philosophers. Though this upset the nobility and the populace to some degree, over time they accepted the new ideas and acquiesed peacefully to Frederick's wishes. This markedly improved the development of trade, infrastructure, and military innovation within Brandenburg.

In 1431, the horns of war blew once more for Brandenburg when Frederick received a dead fish as a Christ Mass gift from his cousin, the ruler of Hannover. Claiming the fish made him sick from the very smell, Frederick launched his second war of aggression. Despite the loss of internal stability, Frederick gambled that he could win quickly and maintain peace throughout his realm. Indeed, even though he a strong alliance to back him up, Frederick sent his armies in alone. It is unknown why Frederick didn't have his allies call their banners, but it has been supposed that Frederick didn't want to share the spoils of this war, and that he was actively trying to grow his realm to position his descendants to dominate Central Europe. In any event, it was a short war. Upon war's declaration, Hannover's allies left her alone, against the strength of Brandenburg. In July of 1431, along the Weser River, Yorke smashed the Hannoverian forces and laid seige to the capital. In early 1433, the city capitulated, and Frederick triumphantly brought Hannover into his realm.

By 1434, Frederick's patience with Magdeburg had run out. He sent his vassal several gifts to improve relations. His arrogant vassal took the monies, statues and kind words to heart and relations were excellent. Frederick, however, still bore a grudge. He laid his plans, and struck swiftly. In 1435, Frederick has Magdeburg's ruler, his sworn vassal, assasinated. Acting to "quell the chaos," Frederick moved his forces in and assumed direct control over Magdeburg; it was now part of his growing Brandenburg realm.

Now an old man, Frederick spent his days and ducats shoring up his relationships and buying off his enemies. By the time of his death in 1440, Frederick I had founded the longest-lasting alliance in Europe, tripled the size of his realm, nearly conquered and then repaired his relations with Bohemia, formed marriage bonds with nearly every Germanic state, and had given his nation and alliance a commanding position in Germany. He died while hunting on his lands on September 18, 1440.

Frederick I's heir, Frederick II, was crowned ruler of Brandenburg on September 21, 1440. Like his father, Frederick II believed in innovation, and so continued his father's policy of subsidizing painters, poets, inventors, and philosophy. Despite the squabbling nobles, little existed to disquiet the realm during such times.

Frederick II was not the ruler his father was. Despite the commanding position in Germany, leadership of a powerful alliance, and a strong army, Frederick preferred peace to war. He spent his reign improving fortresses, roads, working to maximize Brandenburg's wealth, and making all his neighbors like him. On the Diplomatic front, In 1453 and 1463, Frederick II renewed the Frederick Alliance and in 1453 he persuaded Wurzburg to become Brandenburg's vassals. Frederick II is perhaps best known for his support of the exceptional painter Rheininstal. In 1457, after seeing one of his works, he had the painter brought to court and installed as the official painter of Brandenburg. The rest of his life was quiet, and Brandenburg prospered. Frederick II died in bed in 1470. Following his death, Albrecht Achilles ascended to the throne.

screensave1.jpg

Political boundaries of German states in 1455

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Be Continued...

Last edited:
"Whew! That's a lot of history and stuff there," Matt whispered to himself. "This is actually pretty interesting -- but I have got to get to bed." And with that he closed his book and snapped off the light.

The noise of the book closing brought forth light noises from the other side of the room.

A voice grumbled, "eh? What was that?"

"I'm sorry, John," whispered Matt. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"Dude... it's like 4:30 in the morning. Why are you still up if you're not drunk?"

"I have to read an extra chapter for my Medieval Germany class, and you know how long it takes me," Matt sighed. "Besides, this alliance, war, and expansion by conquest is pretty appealing."

"Zzzz..."

"Well, that's a ringing endorsement."

This sounds good indeed. Just be carefull with your BB.
It must be above 10 by now.
I'll be following this one.

Vperic: Thanks for the words and the offer! The screenies should be up soon. I just had to go back to saved games to create them.

Gerrit: Luckily, I didn't get too, too high! I was really flirting with danger for a while -- I was over 10 and Bohemia was at -200, and in an alliance with Austria and Lithuania. So, I wisely sat tight, improved relations and fought no wars for a while. :D

A very quick start indeed.

Kept up by his history. tut tut ;)

Nice start! Ah - this brings back happy memories to me... the joys of German diplomacy! So did you actually manage to annex Magdeburg? I never did, and when my patience ran out, I sent in the army. The way you described it I couldn't tell if it was diplomacy or war - now that's real diplomacy for you! ;)

Jwolf, stnylen -- Keep reading! There is more to come. :)

Farquharson -- I did manage to diploannex Magdeburg, but it was an annoying process. I tried several times before I invaded Hannover (I had a 3:1 force ratio, at least). No dice. And once I took Hannover? On a whim, I tried to annex about two months later and they immediately joined. Heh.

King Yngvar -- Thanks for the kind words! As for my allies... I plan to switch up my alliances as I grow stronger. I hope to diploannex as many of my 'allies' as I can. The rest? The sword, er... pike, ummm... arquebus?

I've finished playing up to up the reformation or so -- Casimir makes his appearance in the next installment. I need to sleep for a bit (I've been up all night playing and writing), when I wake back up I'll get started. The next part should be a fun read. :D

*eyes glaze over during class from the boring lecture*

What? Oh, read chapter 14? Okay...

*starts reading*

Good textbook, at least, I'll give them that... and even better, look at this map! Baden's still around! :)

This is quite good so far and a thoroughly enjoyable read, I do not know what those lazy students are talking about. Especially considering they probably have a major somewhat dependent on history if they are taking a 300 level course.

I meant to write the second installment of the AAR last night, but I played instead. :) I opened up the game log to make some notes and somehow that morphed into a couple hours of play time. Don't know how that might happen...

So, I've finished playing up through about 1550/60, and I hope to be able to both play through 1620 and finish Chapter 14. I won't make any promises on playing vs. writing, but I will try to write first and play second.

I'm waiting patiently for an update, as I'm sure many do. :)

However, you might have mentioned it, but I don't remmember, but what is your goal?? Unite Germany?? That seems good & fun to me, especially because you will have to take other teritories to be able to annex Austria when time comes ;). They sometimes expand very much into Balkans, don't they ;).

Okay... good news all. I've almost finished Chapter 14 tonight. I've uploaded my screenies and I'm ready to go. So, sometime tonight, look for it!

I ended up not being able to play for the last couple of days, but I'm sure I'll manage to find some time to fire up the computer and have it! :D

The day dawned bright and clear. It looked to be a warm day, fresh with a nice breeze from the distant Baltic. So far from the sea, only a trace of the salt was on the wind. It was a good day to die. As the sun rose, its brightening light reflected off the burnished armor and spearpoints of friend and foe alike. The massed armies seemed to be a glittering mass of reflected suns. The only noise on this silent morning was the murmuring of the priests as they prayed for victory, as they prayed for the souls of the many sure to die on this beautiful, bloody day.

Matthias was in line with the rest of his company, shoulder to shoulder, shield to spear. He could feel it in his stomach: the acid taste of fear. Already he was wearied by the effort it took to drive it back down. But he would stand with his company. They were his friends; his family. Mattias could count. He knew they were outnumbered and outarmed by their brother enemies across the glen. On this spring morning, there was another smell on the air with the salt from the sea -- the tang of fear and death. On both sides of the line, men swallowed their fear and formed up for battle.

Matthias and the soldiers of Brandenburg had poor weapons. They fought with spear and sword and depended on the shock of their cavalry for victory. They were also less than than half the size of their opponent's army with no cavalry present. But they did have confidence and training. They had learned the art of war well, they were blooded, and they meant to prove to the Hanseatic League that experience and discipline would beat fancy armor and weapons from Venice before the gates of Berlin today. No siege to determine the outcome here. Marshal Casimir had sallied forth his brave, tested veterans to meet his opponents in the open field. Once and for all, to determine dominance on the North German plain, forever.

And just like that, no orders, no speeches, no warnings, the drumbeat sounded and the Army of Brandenburg moved forward. They had no archers, they had no cavalry, and only the sound of drums and marching feet disturbed the peace of the morning.

Halfway to across the plain, the drumbeat stopped. The army halted, rested, and waited. And too soon, the march resumed. No man lagged, and no man cowered. They were veterans.

Matthias was in the front rank, along the right flank. He knew what was ahead, what Casimir intended. Butchery. Nothing fancy, nothing tricky. Just the weight of experience in arms against the green, untested foe. He knew he would likely die in the first rush. Yet when the drumbeat resumed, he marched with the rest. As the drumbeat slowly escalated through a quick march into a trot, he knew he should be savoring these last moments alive before ascending to heaven, but all he could focus on was the glittering line ahead. That impressive, weighty, steel line. Closer, closer, and the drumbeat was a calling for a run -- an all out charge.

From ten thousand throats came ten thousand screams. All mingling into a deep, deafening, spine-tingling crescendo of voice from the army as it crashed into the immovable, inflexible line in front of it.

With a final shout, Matthias and his comrades were in the fray. All semblance of order evaporated in a moment as he and the men to his left and right charged into battle.

With a shout and a slash, his first kill of the day was dispatched with a ruined face. Whirling, he ignored the gore on his sword and barely caught a blow to his skull with his shield. Feigning a wound, he twisted and ran his second kill through. Two down and he was still alive, but the men who had been standing to his right and left were down, and now it was all Matthias could do to stay alive.

Parrying for his life and the honor of his King and Marshal, Matthias endured the nicks and cuts of battle as he dispatched two more foes amid the rising din of battle. Muting out the clash of sword, shield, spear, and the groaning cries of dying men was a growing, pulsing sound. Through the sounds of the ferocious battle, Matthias could hear only one thing: the annoying claxon. Putting the sound behind him, he faced yet another foe.

And with a gasp, he felt a blow and the world as he knew it ended.

"Jesus H. Christ, Matt, it's a Saturday freaking morning! Get up! What's the matter with you," sounded a bellow across the room.

Grasping at the fading dreamscape, Matt mumbled, "What the... where... I sorry, John."

"Give me back my pillow and turn off your damn alarm clock. It's seven in the morning, and I want to sleep."

"S'okay... I'm up," Matt gasped. With a dull motion he brought his hands to rub his eyes and blinking, he began to break the cobwebs of sleep. Leaning over, he turned off the alarm and stumbled out of bed.

"Gimme my pillow, Matt," John groused.

"Fine," and with that he tossed the pillow back to his roommate and made his way to the bathroom. After finishing his morning routine, Matt looked in the mirror and saw himself: haggard and re-faced. Exhausted. To himself, Matt muttered, "Man, that was an intense dream. I felt like I was there. And I'm only halfway through the chapter. I better get to it if I want to play poker tonight."

Last edited:
Very well crafted brinoch. Waiting eagerly in anticipation for me.

Chapter 14, Part II

As the reign of Albrecht Achilles began, the number of German pretender states had been somewhat reduced. There were still too many for his liking, and still too many for German stability. Still, in 1470, Brandenburg rested.

The nation was facing stability problems as the new king centralized his power. And, perhaps more importantly, in the eyes of the world, Brandenburg had sinned. It is reasonable to suppose that only the strength of the Frederick Alliance kept other powers from attacking the enlarged Brandenburg. But for Brandenburg and the Frederick Alliance, the peace held. For others, however, dark coulds were looming.

Indeed, in 1471, a tremendous war broke out between Austria, Baden, Bohemia and Wurtemburg against Helvetia, Mainz, Cologne, Kleves, Hessen and Milan. As this war raged, Brandenburg and her allies kept to the side. Soon enough the war ended with the outright annexation of Helvetia by Austria. Following up her victory of 1473, Austria also persuaded Baden to join that realm. In 1481, Wurttemburg followed suit and became a part of Austria.

While Austria consolidated her new holdings, an event occured that would charge the sleeping Brandenburg giant and unleash more than a decade of war in Germany. In January of 1475, the Elector of Munster, confident of his place in an alliance with the then powerful England, spit on the visiting nephew of an important Brandenburger noble, Bernard von Klingen, and sent the lad home with a purse of one gold ducat to salve his honor. Albrecht's nobles demanded that honor be paid. Albrecht agreed and let loose the dogs of war; England joined their ally, Munster. Albrecht, considering this a matter of honor and not of war, left his allies and vassals at home. The Brandenburg army went forth in March of that year to restore honor, and soon put Munster and Oldenburg to the torch. By May, Oldenburg was under siege and in June Munster followed suit.

Defeating all relieving armies, Albrecht was able to conquer Oldenburg and Munster by February of 1477. Munster was annexed immediately, and every member of her nobility was stripped of all lands, titles and monies save one gold ducat. The Elector, meanwhile, was drowned in a cesspool of spit and urine donated by the conquering Brandenburg army. Albrecht named von Klingen to rule Munster, and so he did -- with an iron fist. The war with England continued as an ineffectual, inconclusive affair until 1479, when England acknowledged her defeat with a token payment of 50,000 gold ducats.

During the Spitting War, as it has become known, the oppressed Poles of Krakow rebelled against their Teutonic masters. After going alone for a time, the rebels conferred and agreed to petition Albrecht of Brandenburg in 1476. Surpised that the Poles would voluntarily join his realm, Albrecht accepted them and set out to bring order to the province. The fortress was improved and taxes were levied in the reasonably fair Brandenburger method.

Thus from 1477 through 1492, all was quiet in Germany. Only diplomatic activity occurred among the German states as this period of calm and stability ruled for a change. It was not to last.

1484.jpg

In 1492, Europe exploded into the 9-Years War. France drew in her allies -- Scotland, Bremen, Strassburg and Aragon -- and declared war on England and her alliance of Austria, Bohemia, Kleves, the Palatinate. As with any war during this time between France and England, it was over the "rights" of the French King. In reality, France wanted some lands England controlled and fabricated a legal pretext. This war opened with several German states against one another in a war that had nothing to do with Germany. As ever, though, the kings and dukes were willing to sacrifice blood and treasure in the attempt to expand their lands. The Palatinate scored the first and only major success in the German theatre of the war when she annexed Strassburg in 1493 and made peace. Austria and the rest of the small German states began settling down to talk peace when out of the blue, Bavaria declared war on Bohemia and both sides called their allies.

Brandenburg debated sitting out the war, but in the end, the tradition and effectiveness of the Frederick alliance weighed on Albrecht, and he joined his alliance in the war. Still, he limited his war against Bohemia at the beginning, hoping for a quick resolution. But this was not to be. With the powerful alliances of Frederick (Brandenburg, Bavaria, Mecklenburg, Wurzburg and Saxony) and England/Austria (Austria, Bohemia, England, Kleves and the Palatinate) fighting while the Austrian alliance was embroiled against France and her allies, all of Western and Central Europe was aflame. Even Scandinavia and the remnants of the Hanseatic Alliance were fighting. Only Italy and Poland were quiet.

The year 1495 saw Bavaria under siege from Austria and Bohemia. Seeing the danger, Brandenburg moved two armies into Moravia and Bohemia proper. Albrecht began conquering the provinces and in the process defeated two Bohemian armies trying to relieve the pressure. Despite the repeated offers of a separate peace from the friendly monarchs in Bohemia and Austria, Brandenburg stuck to the war -- because in the summer of 1495, Austria annexed Brandenburg's vassal, Wurzburg. Albrecht was said to go into a rage, killing the messenger, his second son, and he was clearly limited in his faculties for the rest of the year. Nonetheless orders went out immediately (though illegibly), and more troops were levied. After they were raised, they were sent to liberate Wurzburg.

The Frederick alliance scored a quick revenge when Mecklenburg annexed Austria's vassal Kleves in the fall of 1495. With this annexation, Hesse, who had previously sat out, entered the war on Austria's side, adding more fuel to the fire. The new Brandenburger army, levied in response to the annexation of Wurzburg, moved south in late 1495 and laid siege to Wurzburg. That summer, the city fell and Brandenburg took possession of the fortress. After the success in Wurzburg, Mad Albrecht was crazed enough to try and buy Hesse out of the war. Sure enough he bribed his 3rd cousin in Hesse to sit out the war for 75,000 ducats.

Things were balanced in the war as the year 1495 ended and victory could go either way. 1496 was a year of battle and recuperation. Austria was defeated and nearly exhausted and Brandenburg was sieging castles. In April of 1496, Prague fell and the deadlock broke. Moravia held out longer, but capitulated in February of 1497. With the capture of the Bohemian territories, this member of the Austrian alliance could no longer build troops and was effectively defeated.

Austria showed great resilience, however, and managed to take back Sudeten from Bavaria in the Spring of 1497. Albrecht, cleared of his rage, sent two armies in and defeated the Austrians and annihilated them as they attempted to retreat. Leaving the remnants of the Bavarian army to retake the castle, Albrecht moved south. Claiming that his rage had given him clarity, Albrecht directed that an invasion of Austria take place. Striking fast and hard, the Austrians were defeated in Ostmarch. In August of 1497, a siege commenced.

Meanwhile, Mainz, of her own volition, widened the war in Germany with her attack on the Palatinate. Austria and Bohemia both declared war, while the exhausted England bowed out of the alliance. Mainz effectively took the Palatinate out of the war, and greatly aided the Frederick alliance, even though she wasn't a part of the alliance. Austrian generals could never decide whether to attack Mainz or not. In addition, Bohemia accepted a peace proposal from Bavaria and the Frederick alliance. The peace awarded 275,000 ducats to Bavaria and Moravia to Brandenburg. With this peace, the pendulum had swung heavily in favor of the Frederick alliance.

But, the war had a lot of fight left in it. As Brandenburg sieged Ostmarch, Austria struck at Wurzburg and defeated the holding force in place. June of 1498 saw both Ostmarch and Wurzburg fall. Later that year, the armies of Austria were defeated and forced to retreat by a reinforced Brandenburg army, and Austrians were again defeated trying to relieve the city in December of 1498.

After conquering the province of Ostmarch, that army wasn't resting on its well-deserved laurels. After different detachments had taken Bohemia, Moravia, and Ostmarch and defeated two Bohemian and three Austrian armies, it combined and moved against Vienna. Defeating the Austrians again in battle, they began the siege in July of 1498 and with little fanfare the army began reducing the vaunted fortress.

In 1499, a new Marshal was named by a new King. Casimir, the commander of the undefeated Brandenburg army was promoted, by Joachim I Nestor, and he gave the army a new name for their bravery. "The Undefeated," for their uninterrupted string of victories added one more, when they captured Vienna in August. Looting the city, they found important documents in the Palace that were rushed back to Berlin. In addition, the siege of Wurzburg ended as the Austrians were starved out in September.

Casimir and the Undefeated moved next to Salzburg. After the fall of Austria, the peace negotiations began in earnest. Austria offered Ostmarch and Wurzburg, Brandenburg declined. Brandenburg demanded Wurzburg and 200,000 ducats. Austria refused. Austria offered Ostmarch and Wurzburg, Brandenburg again declined. Brandenburg demanded Wurzburg, but again Austria declined and refused to allow Brandenburg to accept anything less than Ostmarch and Wurzburg, which King Joachim eventually accepted the Treaty of Vienna on December 13, 1499.

Though the war was over for Brandenburg, it wasn't over for Bavaria. Austria, though exhausted and beaten, was determined to extract its pound of flesh for this costly war. They forced the proud Bavarians to give up Nuremburg and the province of Ansbach on January 15, 1500.

Later that year, disappointed with the actions of his vassals in Saxony, Joachim confronted them about their performance in the war. In a heated discussion Joachim gave Saxony a choice: become a part of Brandenburg, or be booted from the alliance and attacked by Casimir and the Undefeated. They chose annexation and on June 13, 1500, were formally incorporated into the realm.

Bohemia, meanwhile, never let go of the war against Mainz, and annexed them on February 10, 1501, thus finally ending the 9-Year War.
1501.jpg

After the war, and the gaining of new possessions, Joachim determined that it would be wise to rest and recuperate for sime time. He worked to stabilize his realm and despite a bout of insanity -- something that seemed to plague the Hohenzollerns -- he managed to do so. While insane, Joachim observed Austria vassalize Cologne and Bohemia and decide to counter with the annexation of Bavaria and an end to the Frederick alliance.

In 1516, on August 3rd, a new alliance was formed: the Greater German alliance. It included Brandenburg, Austria, Bavaria and Hesse. In September, feeling secure in the new alliance, and with the future of Brandenburg, Bavaria elected to become a part of Brandenburg. The next three years were spent in improving the infrastructure and stability of the newly enlarged realm.

As this hundred year period drew to a close, the number of German states had been reduced to 11. There were three dominant German states -- Austria, Brandenburg and Holstein. Austria had been a dominant German state previously, and Holstein was barely holding on to such a designation after the disastrous wars of its neighbors gave them a legitimate reason to join a wealthier power.

But the rise of Brandenburg, a small power surrounded by enemies and petty kings, is unprecedented in the world's history through this time. In one hundred years, Brandenburg had enlarged itself nearly eight-fold times and had swallowed the realms of Madgeburg, Hannover, Munster, Saxony, Wurzburg and Bavaria. It had twice humbled Bohemia and had taken four-fifths of her land. Brandenburg had taken Vienna, humbled Austria and forced serious concessions in the peace. And, after the victory, forged an alliance with the beaten German powers to dominate Central Europe and the Holy Roman Empire. And all this came from the vision of a petty King, Frederick I, when he assembled a strong, central German alliance among Saxony, Bavaria, Wurzburg, Brandenburg and, later, Mecklenburg.

1519.jpg

In a celebration commemorating Brandenburg's first victory over Bohemia, Joachim Nestor named his ancestor Frederick the Farsighted, and history has seen fit to accept that title as apt for a King who did so much to unify Germany.

That is certainly some war you fought there, and very well described.