• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Endeavor

Second Lieutenant
2 Badges
Mar 2, 2001
  • Europa Universalis III
  • 500k Club
The Hands of Liberty – An American AAR
---An American AAR by Endeavor

December 28, 2003

Game Settings
Nation: United States of America
Difficulty: Above Average
A.I. Aggressiveness: Above Average
Fog of War: On

Quick Notes
This AAR focuses on World War I, America’s involvement in the conflict, and the events shortly after. I apologize for the lack of actual in-game screenshots, but I don’t have a site to upload everything on so I didn’t bother taking any. If any of you have suggestions, comments or questions whiles the story progresses, please feel free to post – remember, feedback kicks @ss!

Prologue

December 28, 2003

June 20, 1914
Harris Wells sat behind a bulky wooden desk in one of the White House offices, scribbling a letter to his brother. He rested his head on his right hand while he wrote with his left and looked up every so often, carefully drafting the next sentence in his mind. Though he was President Wilson’s staff, his everyday life was really nothing out of the ordinary. He shook his head in a mild aggravation, wishing the first part of his letter was a bit more exciting than complaining about the stiffness of a new mattress he’d bought a couple weeks ago. Letting out a sight, Harris turned in his chair and gazed out the large window behind him, mindlessly viewing the bustling streets and avenues of Washington D.C. A few moments later he turned back around and continued to on…

“I hope things are going well for you in Birmingham, Tim. I have to admit, I wouldn’t mind going home, having a nice, big piece of Mom’s pecan pie and relaxing. You would not believe how tense everyone is around here. The whole damn European situation has everybody on edge. The entire continent is one big powder keg with a bunch of smokers standing around it – it’s not a matter of ‘if’ if blows up, it’s ‘when’ it does.

President Wilson has insisted several times that, no matter what, America was going to stay neutral. I’m not sure if I think that’s the right thing to do, but I suppose it’ll keep our boys out of harm’s way. This loon named William Bryan is trying convince the President that America needs to ‘take the lead role’ in the world stage – and to him, I think that means going in with blazing guns everywhere. The Pacific, Central America, the Caribbean… He even wants us to talk tough with the big boys over there in Europe – ‘aggressive negotiations’ is what he calls it – he thinks he’s a regular Teddy Roosevelt!”

Harris continued writing in a rather incoherent sense for another page and ended the letter abruptly. He didn’t consider himself a writer by any means and liked to inform his family as to the happenings in his life. They said they always looked forward to getting his letters and, though he knew they weren’t exactly Shakespeare, he was never one want to disappoint.

Soon after gently folding the letter and sealing it within an envelope, he snatched his hat and made his way to the door. It was off to the post office and then to O’Brian’s Bar where the solution to all his stress and worries could be found in a cold, frosty mug.

June 28, 1914
INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH: Archduke Franz Fredinand was assassinated in Sarajevo – Austro-Hungarian Empire has mobilized its remaining reserves and has declared an official state of war between Serbia and its powerful ally, the Russian Empire. Russia, as well as other great powers of the region such as the United Kingdom, France, and Germany, are scrambling to deploy their reserves.

sm10237.gif

August 1, 1914
INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH: Coming to the aid of its Austro-Hungarian ally, Germany has declared war upon the Russian Empire. The United Kingdom and France – whom formed the Triple Entente in 1908 with Russia – have yet to respond in assistance.

map3.gif

August 3, 1914
INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH: In two days’ time of declaring war on her eastern neighbor Russia, the German Empire has declared another state of war against her western neighbor, France.

map1.gif

August 4, 1914
INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH: German troops march on Belgian soil today, aggressively fighting their way towards Brussels. This hostile act was met with a declaration of war by the United Kingdom on Germany. The battle lines between the great powers are now drawn: the United Kingdom, France and Russia (the Allies) are at war with Germany, Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire (the Central Powers). Other major nations such as the United States, Spain, Italy and Japan have not yet commented as to their position in this great war.

map4.gif

Last edited:
Good beginning. You do know that your posts are automatically dated in the forum don't you?

It will be interesting to see how you judged the need/when to intervene

Very Nice. The blend of AAR writing styles is excellently orchestrated.
Your images concerning the entrance of different countries is also clear and good looking.

The Actions of Enemies and the Silence of Friends

December 29, 2003

August 5, 1914
Harris quickly but quietly opened the white door to the Oval Office. He stepped in a shut it, grabbing the attention of President Wilson, who was standing on the far side of his desk with his hands on the surface.

“Mr. Wells, come in,” invited the President. Harris could sense the melancholy tone in his voice. He took a few more steps in a glanced over to William Bryan sitting on one of the room’s couches in a stiff and well-postured manner. “Mr. Bryan and I were just discussing the… less than ideal happenings over in Europe.”

“Yes,” Bryan slowly rose, smoothing his pant legs and jacket, “the President and I are considering the United States’ options.” The three men, simultaneously, began to move towards the center of the office and met near the center. “As Secretary of State,” Bryan continued to speak, “I have informed the President that I believe the best course of action is to stay out of the war at the moment.”

“Really,” Harris said, surprised and perplexed. Out of Wilson’s entire staff, Bryan was the last man Harris would have pegged as one to shy away from a fight. “What made you come to that conclusion, Mr. Bryan?” Bryan crossed his arms and painted a rather smug look on his face.

“It’s as clear as day,” he began, “that American interests in Europe aren’t exactly a priority at the moment. The Caribbean, Mexico and Central America, the Pacific – these parts of the world are what we should be concentrating on Within a year’s time or so, when our forces are built up, it should be no problem chasing the Germans out of Belgium and wherever else Bismarck decides to send his krauts.” Harris let out a sharp breath – he should have known this was going to be the kind of response he was going to get.

“I can’t say I’m surprise to see that kind of reasoning from you,” Harris rolled his eyes.

“Why can’t you-” Bryan began to snap back but was interrupted by the sound of the door to the office shutting again. All three men turned to see Josephus Daniels at the entrance. Proudly holding the position as Secretary of the Navy, Daniels was a man of strong character. He was accompanied by a young man with a walking cane that Wilson, Bryan or Harris hadn't seen before.

“Mr. President,” greeted Daniels strolled to the center of the room with his head held high, “and gentlemen.” The man with the cane following Daniels swiftly closed the door and rather slowly made his way to the rest of the group. As he did, Daniels introduced him. “This is my new under secretary, Franklin Roosevelt.” The man, mildly short of breath, held his hand out to Wilson.

“It’s an honor to meet you, Mr. President,” Roosevelt said as the two men shook hands. Immediately after, he held his hand out to Bryan and Harris, complimenting them in a similar way. After the pleasant introduction, Wilson steered the conversation straight back to business.

“We’ve been discussing how the United States should respond to the recent European developments,” the President informed Daniels and Roosevelt.

“Hah, respond?” Daniels shook his head. “We’d be kidding ourselves if we thought our military would pose any real threat to the Germans or their allies! Mr. President, we’re not ready for a war – the countries involved have been building their military for years!”

“Then what do you suggest,” Wilson asked.

“We should just stick to expansion in the Pacific and possibly the Caribbean – forget Europe,” Daniels replied. Wilson turned and began to rub his forehead, trying to ease the splitting headache he was beginning to have. He sat down and laid back in his chair, considering al the men had said so far.

“I want a report on our naval strength,” ordered Wilson, “battleships, cruisers, everything.” Daniels motioned to Roosevelt who hastily made his way out of the room to gather the information. As the door shut, Bryan turned to Daniels.

“What’s with the cane,” Bryan pointed towards the door.

“Polio – hit him in the 20’s,” Daniels shook his head. “It’s a shame. He’s a promising lad, though, and he’s going places.” A short silenced followed, each of the men timid to break it.

“The army,” Wilson finally spoke, breaking the quiet. He leaned forward, resting his arms on the desk, “what’s our current status?”

“Quite frankly, our basic training has become a joke and we’re armed with sticks and stones. A band of kid-thugs from Daniels’s old neighborhood in New York has probably seen more action than most of our men.” Harris refused to sugarcoat anything of this importance. Wilson shook his head in frustration – he began to wonder how he’d get anything done with both hands tied behind his back.

“I wont’ allow this country to get into a fight it can’t win,” Wilson stood, “but we can’t just do nothing!”

“Supplies, sir,” Harris quickly interjected. Wilson, Daniels, and Bryan quickly glanced over to him.

“You can’t be serious,” Bryan laughed, “we have our own problems. We don’t’ need to send anyone our resources!”

“Wells is right,” Daniels spoke over Bryan’s objection, “our navy has enough convoy ships to send arms, supplies, money… And best of all, we can do it covertly.”

“I’m the last one who wants to send our men into combat over something that doesn’t really concern us,” Harris stepped closer to the President, “and this would be the best way to help our allies but keep our nose from getting bloodied.” Wilson thought for a moment.

“This is preposterous,” Bryan exclaimed. “You can’t be-”

“There’s a time for me to listen,” Wilson calmly interrupted, “and a time for me to act on what I feel is best. This is the time for me to act.”

“But sir-”

“That’s enough, William!” Wilson stood in anger, but quickly calmed down and gathered himself. “America will officially stay neutral for the time being. Spare supplies will be sent to the U.K. and France should they accept them.”

“What about the Russians, Mr. President,” Daniels asked.

“We’ll see,” Wilson moved out from behind the desk, “but the United Kingdom and France is our main concern at the moment. Other than that, our attention will be focused on the home front, immediate neighbors, and further expansion in the Pacific.”

August 6, 1914
NEWSFLASH: The New York Times. The United States has officially purchased and annexed the Virgin Islands from the Kingdom of Denmark as of today. Under the terms of the treaty, control of the small Caribbean islands will be gradually turned over to the United States over the time period of a year. Danish forces are prepped to leave and conscription of a small contingent of American troops is planned in the near future. Questions have been raised by many whether this is a way for the U.S. to provide friendly nations funds to defend against the mounting aggression of the Central Powers. Government officials have reportedly denied this. In any case, the Virgin Islands are now considered a colonial possession of the United States of America.

August 6, 1914
White House Memorandum to Senate and House. “President Wilson has called an emergency meeting for the Senate and House to announce his agenda for the end of this year and 1915 on October 15. Inform all senators as well as congressmen and clear any scheduled events or meetings that day.”

August 12, 1914
INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH: Brussels has fallen to advancing German armies, forcing the surrender and annexation of Belgium. Refugees flee to neighboring France to escape harsh German rule.

August 12, 1914
Military Intel Memorandum to White House. “Within the first week of the war, the nation of Belgium has surrendered to the Central Powers

Three major, bloody incursions on the Franco-German border have taken place, but neither side has made any progress. The death toll is expected to be around 25,000 men.

On the eastern front, Germany and Austro-Hungarian forces have made successful breaches into the Russian border, taking hold of a total of four provinces (two under German control and two under Austro-Hungarian). Minimal loss of Central Power forces has been reported whiles Russian forces have taken an unknown, but likely high, number of losses.

The Russo-Ottoman front has remained quiet as of yet. Sides on both forces are assumed to be amassing forces.

A minimal number of naval conflicts between the United Kingdom and Germany have been seen. Both nations’ main fleets are still near their home ports, traveling to unknown destinations. However, incursion between the two armadas look to be immanent.”

Last edited:
Nice little debate.

Excellent AAR. I am thinking of writing one for the first time also, but I’m afraid my time is limited. Keep up the good work and excellent writing!

DR

Interesting and well written AAR thus far. Personally I am not much of a fan of President Wilson, but that's just me.

In the East

December 31, 2003

August 15, 1914
Harris leaned against the outside wall along the backside of the White House, holding a cigarette in his left hand and thumbing the change in his pocket with his right. It was a cold day – the brisk, humid air had numbed his nose and fingertips, but he didn’t care. His thoughts were everywhere but where he was. He stared mindlessly up at the blurry sun, trying to break its way through the gray clouds that masked it from view.

Suddenly, he heard the sound of the old door nearby cringe open and then close. He looked over to see Bryan walking out, glancing the opposite direction. He turned his heard to Harris and both men made eye contact.

“Mr. Wells,” he started his way over to Harris, pulling out a cigarette holder from his coat pocket, “you wouldn’t happen to have a light, now would you?”

“Sure do,” Harris flicked the change in his pocket to the side and grasped his small box of matches. “Use all your matches trying to start fires around the world?” Bryan let out a sarcastic laugh as Harris offered over the matches.

“If that were the case,” Bryan pulled one out of the box and struck it lit, “it’s no surprise to see you with plenty to spare.” The men stood quietly for the moment, their quick wits in the working, constructing a slew of snide remarks.

“Our soldiers aren’t boxes of matches, William. You can’t just go buy a box of them at the grocery store. They should only be put in danger when it’s absolutely necessary.” Bryan looked at Harris for a moment, then looked away, continuing to puff on his cigarette.

“Well, Harris, here’s your opportunity. Tell me what direction you think America should go. For once, I won’t interrupt you.” Harris, for the first time he could remember, commanded Bryan’s attention. He paused for a moment, trying to determine where to begin explaining himself and his position on everything. God knew he’d probably never have this opportunity with Bryan again.

“Europe,” Harris scoffed, “is a worthless place for the United States. Men of little integrity with even smaller minds that have big dreams of glory. It’s just kings and queens playing chess against one another They fight over power and land like a pack of wolves with a piece of meat. They’re recruiting young men to die and using huge amounts of resources to gain nothing. The only thing we could ever get out of Europe is a couple fair-weather friends.” Harris softly pushed himself from the wall, took a few steps and turned to Bryan. “And the rest of the world is the chess board of those damned kings and queens. France rules over the endless dunes of the Sierra, the U.K. keeps India on a leash… The only place more backwards than Asia is South America which is just a bunch of Spaniards and Incans who are harder to figure out than a Chinese algebra book! And the Pacific is just dotted with islands no bigger than a few city blocks!” Harris shook his head. He threw his cigarette to the ground, grinding his shoe over it. “We have something good going here in America – the only ones we have to fight with is ourselves. I don’t want to screw it up by getting embroiled in a feud for the hell of it and watch it end up costing us everything.” Harris took a deep breath and returned to his original position of leaning against the wall.

“We do have something good here,” Bryan tossed his cigarette to the ground, “and that’s exactly why we have to expand.” Bryan shifted and was now looking Harris square in the eyes. “The United States has to make a name for itself. If we don’t show Europe we can hold our own, we’ll be pushed around and used by them. America will just be another pawn in their game of chess. Men like you and I need to shape this great nation’s destiny and not let others – even our “friends” – do it for us. Especially in places like the Pacific - even if it is just a big fishbowl of water with a few islands. Because if we don’t, countries we never thought could threaten the United States, like Japan, will be knocking on our backdoor.”

“Oh please,” Harris sneered, “Japan? It’s one big rice farm.” Bryan looked away for a moment.

“And people say I’m the arrogant one?” He looked back at Harris, fixed with a blank expression across his face. “There are only two possible countries that will one day have sole command of the Pacific’s waves – the United States or Japan. If you remember one thing, remember this.” Bryan’s eyes narrowed on Harris as his brow tensed – he raised his hand, pointing his finger at him. “No matter how dark the times, the sun will always rise. And it always rises from the East.” Harris’s heart stopped beating for a split second. Was Bryan right? Could Japan really be that much of a threat? Bryan lowered his hand, turned, and walked back to the door. He grabbed hold of its handle, swung it open and shut it, leaving Harris alone once again.

“Heh. Japan…” Harris mused, trying to shake off the final part of their conversation; he strained to assure himself what Bryan told him was impossible. He knew, however, that it would always be in the back of his mind. Just then, the dreary gray dissipated and the lawn, shrubs, flowers, and trees were blanketed in a warm yellow. The sun had finally broken through the overcast…

August 16, 1914
INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH: The first major skirmish between the British Royal Navy and German naval forces has occurred. With a narrow victory awarded to Allied forces, German battleships are returning to their home port. While casualties have not yet been disclosed by either government, it’s estimated that a total of 6 British and 9 German ships were lost.

August 16, 1914
INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH: The Russians are on the run! The nation, fighting a three-front war, has seen German, Austro-Hungarian, and Ottoman forces break through its lines. At total of 8 provinces are under Central Power control (3 Austro-Hungarian, 3 German, and 2 Ottoman).

August 18, 1914
INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH: French force are retreating – German advancers have broken through the Franco-German border that lies between the pre-war Belgium and Switzerland. The United Kingdom has sent three expeditionary forces to aid in defense, but it appears that it is making little to no difference. French infantry divisions are rendezvousing near Paris to set up a secondary line of defense.

August 25, 1914
NEWSFLASH: The Washington Post. The booming economy is fueling the construction of several new factories across the United States. The unemployed populous is overjoyed at the possibility of new jobs opening within a year’s time. Hotspots for building include: New York, Virginia, Michigan, Pennslyvania, Texas and California.

Last edited:
I hope this AAR is not dead....

CvM