• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Voshkod

Serendipitous
69 Badges
Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Magicka 2
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Knights of Honor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
This is my placeholder for my next AAR, based on the same world as A House Demolished: A New England AAR. This AAR will hopefully be followed by "Hail, Columbia (not Colombia. Columbia): A Columbia AAR," "Solitudinem faciunt pacem appellant (they made a Deser[e]t and called it Peace: A Deseret AAR," and "Why bother, really: A Cherokee AAR."

This AAR will feature Emperor Norton I, Sam Clemens, and Ambrose Bierce, to name a few. . . .

Look for it following the end of "A House Demolished."

V.

I'm already waiting in anticipation. I like the Emperor Norton.

This is AWESOME. A Californian AAR. Although I would prefer New England AAR since I live in the East Coast, but I can wait :).

Wait, btw who's Norton? Is he like the Schwartzenegger of the old California?

Legacy010 said:
This is AWESOME. A Californian AAR. Although I would prefer New England AAR since I live in the East Coast, but I can wait :).

Wait, btw who's Norton? Is he like the Schwartzenegger of the old California?

I have a New England AAR - look for "A House Demolished" somewhere further down the page.

Emperor Norton I was a fruitcake who declared himself Emperor of the United States and became a tourist attraction and point of pride in San Francisco in the latter half of the 19th Century. He's a real character (in both meanings of the word).

V.

SWEET! Being from California I am look forward to this.
*Please say the capital is in SF!*

Voshkod said:
I have a New England AAR - look for "A House Demolished" somewhere further down the page.

Emperor Norton I was a fruitcake who declared himself Emperor of the United States and became a tourist attraction and point of pride in San Francisco in the latter half of the 19th Century. He's a real character (in both meanings of the word).

V.

What, like Lonestar Republic?

When exactly did this Emperor Norton guy exist?

Excellent ! ! California will rule ! ...
Emperor Norton was 1819-1880. Very early California :)

Ahahaha Wait Wait i found more.

"January 8, 1880 – Norton I dropped dead on California St. at Grant Ave. He was on his way to a lecture at the Academy of Natural Sciences. "

He just simply dropped dead...and the U.S. government didn't do squat!

Protector of Mexico??? ahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Capetan Mihali said:
Newbie question - How do you play as California? Did you need to do a particular edit?

You must do some small editing:
1. Load as US in the scenario you wish (1861 in this case)
2. Release California as satellite
3. Exit, open savegame and remove satellite status of california
(in tag = cal there is a command "satellite = " )
4. Reload Vicky and play as California

This way you can play any country scripted in the game :)

I know I owe the public an update to my New England AAR, but I feel like getting the backstory of this one out first.

And so, presenting The Conquests of the Norton Dynasty.

The men were shouting at each other now, there in the smoky bar of the ironically named American Hotel. Threats flew loudly, promises more quietly, bribes slithered between hands. The capital would be in San Francisco! It would remain in Sacramento! What about the south and Los Angeles? What about Mexico? Would Washington sit still for it? Would Hamlin declare war on the new country, even as he fought the Confederates?

Samuel Clemens and Ambrose Bierce, newspapermen and witnesses to history (or hysteria, as Bierce would write later), sat behind the bar, smoking nicer cigars then they could usually afford, purloined from the hotel stock.

"What patriots California has bred!", Clemens muttered. "Do you think they'll get the gumption together to sign that little bit of treason they're calling the Declaration of California? Or will we have to play our trump?"

"Patriots: One to whom the interests of a part seem superior to those of the whole. The dupe of statesmen and the tool of conquerors," Bierce muttered darkly. "They'll sign it; it will make them all rich. But they’ll need our excuse."

"I've read your poisonous little dictionary, friend Ambrose," said Clemens. "I only wish I had thought of it first."

The railroad men, the Wells Fargo men, the shipping magnates, the mine owners, everyone wanted to leave the sinking ship, S.S. United States. But who would rule? Who would profit? Most importantly, who would take the blame if it all fell apart?

"Politicians: An eel in the fundamental mud upon which the superstructure of organized society is reared." Bierce took another slug of whisky and stood. "Gentlemen, and I use the term most loosely, all of this talk is fascinating, simply fantastic. But Mr. Clemens and I came from the paper with some recent news from the telegraph. May I?"

The gathered dignitaries fell grudgingly silent. Bierce puffed on his cigar. "Ahem. Seattle Compact signed. Columbia free state. New England independent. Mormons expel troops. United States dissolved."

"So," said Clemens languidly from behind the bar, "everyone else is jumping on the bandwagon. Remember, to be a patriot, one has to say, and keep on saying, 'Our country, right or wrong,' and urge on the little war."

Silence in the room, except for the chuckling of Bierce. "War: A by-product of the arts of peace."

"But what if we fail," whined the Wells Fargo banker.

"Then," said Bierce darkly, "you shall meet the hangman. An officer of the law charged with duties of the highest dignity and utmost gravity, and held in hereditary disesteem by a populace having a criminal ancestry."

"I won't risk it!", shouted a mine owner. "My life's worth too much to hang!"

"That is a solemn thought," laughed Clemens, "but remember, dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork."

"Who let those two in?", a shipper whispered.

"The news let us in, gentlemen," said Clemens, "and we have the answer to your dilemma! What would you say if I told you I had the man you needed, the man to stand up and sign that document for all Californians, but a man so mad that Washington will not know how to react. A man who will buy you the time for treason, without the nasty result if treason doesn't become patriotism!"

"Treason: the state of the losing party," croaked Bierce, waving away cigar smoke.

"Make yourself clear, you damn scrivener!", bellowed a fat hotelier.

Clemens reached into his pocket and pulled out a document, finely rolled and sealed. He intoned with due solemnity:

"It is represented to us that the universal suffrage, as now existing through the Union, is abused; that fraud and corruption prevent a fair and proper expression of the public voice; that open violation of the laws are constantly occurring, caused by mobs, parties, factions and undue influence of political sects; that the citizen has not that protection of person and property which he is entitled to by paying his pro rata of the expense of Government--in consequence of which, WE do hereby abolish Congress, and it is therefore abolished; and WE order and desire the representatives of all parties interested to appear at the Musical Hall of this city on the first of February next, and then and there take the most effective steps to remedy the evil complained of."

"So you see, the United States Congress has already been dissolved. Moreover . . . ." Here Clemens pulled out another scroll:

"WHEREAS, it is necessary for our Peace, Prosperity and Happiness, as also to the National Advancement of the people of the United States, that they should dissolve the Republican form of government and establish in its stead an Absolute Monarchy;

NOW, THEREFORE, WE, Norton I, by the Grace of God Emperor of the Thirty-three states and the multitude of Territories of the United States of America, do hereby dissolve the Republic of the United States, and it is hereby dissolved;

And all laws made from and after this date, either by the National Congress or any State Legislature, shall be null and of no effect.

All Governors, and all other persons in authority, shall maintain order by enforcing the heretofore existing laws and regulations until the necessary alterations can be effected.

Given under our hand and seal, at Headquarters, San Francisco, this 26th day of July, 1860.
"

Bierce stood up. "Your work is already done, you cowards. A man has stepped forward and proclaimed everything you want. Just acknowledge the authority of Emperor Norton I, and the United States will have a madman to hang - should things go poorly. And you'll have a well dressed puppet that the people love – should things go well."

"That's insane!", shouted a railroad man.

"That's the point," said Clemens, pulling out a final scroll.

"At the peremptory request of a large majority of the citizens of these United States, I, Joshua Norton, formerly of Algoa Bay, Cape of Good Hope, and now for the past nine years and ten months of San Francisco, California, declare and proclaim myself Emperor of these United States, and in virtue of the authority thereby in me vested, do hereby order and direct the representatives of the different States of the Union to assemble in the Musical Hall of this city on the 1st day of February next, then and there to make such alterations in the existing laws of the Union as may ameliorate the evils under which the country is laboring, and thereby cause confidence to exist, both at home and abroad, in our stability and integrity."

Bierce nodded. "All you have to do is recognize his authority, and you'll get everything you want."

A banker stood. "What do you two get out of this?"

"We? We get one hell of a story." Clemens strode over to the door, flung it wide. There stood the Emperor Norton, uniform, sword, and plumed hat, beard and intense eyes. Clemens dropped to one knee. "Your majesty."

Bierce stood at the table with the assembled notables, whispering intently: "There he is, gentlemen, your scapegoat, your puppet, your excuse, the man who will sign anything, they man they'll hang if you fail. There he is." Bierce suddenly shouted, as all the men jumped: "Your Emperor!"

Two days later, the Empire of California was declared, to be ruled by Emperor Norton I and his plenipotentiary council. The Emperor was to be advised by two newspapermen, Mssrs. Clemens and Bierce. The de jure capital would remain in Sacramento, but the Emperor would rule from San Francisco.

Washington, D.C., had no response.

[Mr. Bierce's "definitions" are from his Devil's Dictionary, available on-line at
http://www.alcyone.com/max/lit/devils/index.html. Some of Mr. Clemens' quote are from http://www.twainquotes.com/. Emperor Norton's proclamations are real and can be found at http://www.notfrisco.com/nortoniana/.]

That is a truly brilliant plan....I love it!

Draculin said:
You must do some small editing:
1. Load as US in the scenario you wish (1861 in this case)
2. Release California as satellite
3. Exit, open savegame and remove satellite status of california
(in tag = cal there is a command "satellite = " )
4. Reload Vicky and play as California

This way you can play any country scripted in the game :)

I have a save game prepared that releases California, Columbia, Deseret, the Manhattan Commune and New England from the US, and Texas and Cherokee from the CSA. It also removes all satellite tags and sets relations between the US and its former states to -200.

I was going to start a war between the US and its former members, but I realized that none of them start with a military. So, I may need to do some more edits at some point to give California, NE, and Columbia two infantry divisions, and one infantry to Deseret and the Commune.

If anyone wants a copy of the save game that now exists, let me know.

V.

Voshkod said:
I have a save game prepared that releases California, Columbia, Deseret, the Manhattan Commune and New England from the US, and Texas and Cherokee from the CSA. It also removes all satellite tags and sets relations between the US and its former states to -200.

I was going to start a war between the US and its former members, but I realized that none of them start with a military. So, I may need to do some more edits at some point to give California, NE, and Columbia two infantry divisions, and one infantry to Deseret and the Commune.

If anyone wants a copy of the save game that now exists, let me know.

V.

Are those countries using general AI files or do they have special ones?
Coz i guess that with the general ones, teh potential (especially of New England) will be wasted - i tried the same as you and they were just sitting where they are :(

Draculin said:
Are those countries using general AI files or do they have special ones?
Coz i guess that with the general ones, teh potential (especially of New England) will be wasted - i tried the same as you and they were just sitting where they are :(

They use the generic files, because I know nothing about programming the AI. I have noticed some diplomatic activity while playing New England, i.e., California and Columbia creating an alliance. Is there a guide to tweaking AI files?

V.

Voshkod said:
but the Emperor would rule from San Francisco.

:) Power to da Bay :)

That prologue was quite excellent and I think it was rather brilliant to a point to include and represent it through Mark Twain and Ambrose Bierce. Using the quotes was great, I look forward to seeing more of them in the future episodes of this AAR and also patiently wait for an update to the New England Campaign.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade because your work has been excellent to date but................

if this is still 1861 then shouldn't Clements be kicking around the south in a Confederate militia unit??? :confused:

I'm quite happy to ignore this as long as you let me know so I can get back to enjoying your work :D

Cheers,
Duritz.

P.S. After all, I'm just an Aussie with no sense of American history to speak of ;)

Duritz said:
I'm not trying to rain on your parade because your work has been excellent to date but................

if this is still 1861 then shouldn't Clements be kicking around the south in a Confederate militia unit??? :confused:

According to one source (PBS), in 1861 "Civil War breaks out, halting river trade. Clemens serves two weeks with Confederate irregulars, then moves to Nevada with his brother Orion." In 1862 Clemens "[t]ravels around Nevada and California. Takes job as reporter for the Virginia City Territorial Enterprise."

So, we can just assume Mr. Clemens, seeing the gathering storm, left a year early and ended up in California a year early.

But, yes, you are correct. Clemens is a year ahead of himself. Fiction is what fiction does, or somesuch....

Bierce, by the by, should be with the Ninth Indiana infantry, and doesn't move to San Fran until 1875.

V.