• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kaigon

Cake or Death?
48 Badges
Mar 15, 2002
kaigon.ripperdoc.net
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Sengoku
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
From what I seen this is the first Victoria Switzerland AAR. It is also my first AAR, so be kind... ;)

Background:
Excerpt from http://www.eda.admin.ch/oslo_emb/e/home/geninf/hist.html
Napoleonic period
After the occupation of Switzerland by troops of the French Directory in 1798, a centralist state was created: Switzerland, a country abolishing all privileges and granting cultural and press freedom. In 1803, Napoleon decided to end the then existing conflict between Federalists and Centralists by introducing the new constitution (Mediation Act) which created a Constitution of the Vienna Congress (1814) – a loose confederation of 22 Cantons. People’s rights were limited in many places again to the advantage of the states and aristocrats. The neutrality of Switzerland was finally inter-nationally recognized in 1815 at the 2nd Paris Peace Conference. The first self-made Federal Constitution – the Confederate Pact (1814–1815) – contained among others, the rights of the Cantons and individual citizens, the continued existence of the monasteries, as well as basic military questions but was, however, by all means far more outdated than the Constitution at the time of the Mediation.

The Swiss Constitution
After 1830, popular movements in 12 Cantons forced a liberal constitution.
And this is where we start (with a conservative party, so let's start an election to see what they really think.)

Actions during the 1st of January 1836 (settings and adjustments):
1. Trade: Buy Machine Parts <20, Buy Iron <10 (for factories)
2. Budget: Max tax (50% for each), Max Education
3. Politics: Ruling party is a bad-bad Konservative Fraktion, although 100% of Switzerland is liberal, Held new election (1st of October 1836)
4. Relations: Russia is at +100, the rest stays at 0
5. Technology: Started research of Stock Exchange (nice bonuses to taxation)

Starting conditions, Switzerland is peacefully placed between the great powers of Austria and France and between the boiling pits of Italy and Germany:
2_start.jpg

Political and demographical information on the startdate:
3_politics.jpg
4_population.jpg

Not exactly what would be my guess for an exciting AAR, but being as I'm more interested in the peaceful aspects of the game, and I expect to get Vic on thursday, I'll subscribe

TBB

Should be interesting! Good luck!

Part I - Warming up!
1836 - 1839​

3rd of January, 1836:
"Sir, you've asked for my service."
"Yes my dear Maximillian, since I got in power of this bunch of cantons, there has been something that I've lacked. Don't you feel that there is something that you really need now, Maximillian?
"Umh, no sir, everything is fine at the moment."
"Interesting... Now there's still something that I miss, something to wear. Are these clothes I wear really worthy someone in my position, I'd say no. So my dear Maximillian go and get me some real luxury clothes."
"I will, sir"
"Thank you! You are dismissed!"

- - - A week later - - -

10th of January, 1836:
"Sir! Urgent news!"
"Stop! Don't tell me, let me guess..."
"..."
"...could it be something about Belgium? Perhaps the Netherlands too? What could they possible have done, on the 10th of January... hmm... Could it be...? nah... Wait! Now I know what they're doing... they have mobilized, right?"
"Yes sir, but, may I ask, how could you know?"
"Aah, just a hunch, nothing more..."

In September 1837 the budget of Switzerland finally switched over to positive, taxes gave more than the cost.

Finally, on the 24th of November 1837 there was a supply of machine parts on the world market and within hours a new luxury clothes factory was being built.

On the 2nd of August 1838 France demanded the extradition of Louis Napoléon, of course, such an agreement would be impossible, and therefore they were refused (only option -50 relation).

To the left: the budget, exactly when the factory was completed.
To the right: the budget, about ten months later, when the loan had been paid.
5_budget.jpg
6_budget.jpg

6th of April, 1839:
"Yes my dear Maximillian. I was taking a walk in the park the other day, when I met a citizen. I asked him how he was doing, he replied and said something, well I don't really remember, I couldn't be anything of importance anyway. What a stench! It made me sick, and this was a citizen of the confederation. Can you believe it?"
"Sir, everyone can't afford to take care of their health, that's how it is."
"Not anymore, my dear Maximillian, from now on, everyone, especially the dirty ones, shall be granted free healthcare and bath, every day!"
"But sir! That would be quite costly."
"Nonsense! Now, get going. You're dismissed!"

In April of 1839 the healthcare level in Switzerland was set to good at the inconceivable cost of £4673,4.

21st of July, 1839:
"Yes my dear Maximillian, can you tell me, why are there farmers and labourers in our country, they produce no valuable good?"
"But sir, they're just doing their job. That's how things have been for centuries."
"Bah, as I liberalist I've never seen much use in traditions. Close the cattle ranches, they're the worst, filthy animals, and get those farmers out in the real workforce. Aren't there free places in our ammunition and canned food factory?"
"They might object sir."
"Nonsense! Now, get going. You're dismissed!"

In the 21st of July in 1839, the cattle ranch in Zürich was closed and the farmers where converted to craftsmen. The same happened to the farmers on the cattle ranches in Chur on the 14th of August.

Also, accidentally, no silk was imported until the 17th of September 1839. So there was no gain from the luxury factory, which had been ready since 24th of November 1838.

EDIT: Forgot the "real" cost of the healthcare reform, was about £5000 not £500. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Good start. So do you really think you want full reforms immediately? I don't have the game, but I can't imagine that that won't provoke revolt. (Is that even good english, what I just wrote?)

Originally posted by Jer8m8
Good start. So do you really think you want full reforms immediately? I don't have the game, but I can't imagine that that won't provoke revolt. (Is that even good english, what I just wrote?)
Actually, with less than one million inhabitants and only nine province, reforms are very cheap. A similar healthcare for China, would however have had a price of millions...

Utopia

Utopian scheme of the Swiss population:
1/2 - 50% - Craftmen
1/3 - 33,3% - Clerks
1/6 - 16,7% - Others, mainly soldiers but also some officers, capitalists and aristocrats

Why?
Well, labourers and farmers have never done anything good or profitable for the swiss state... there's always a bunch of hungarians or frenchmen (or any other non-swiss*) doing those, hrrm, shitjobs (well, at least if your looking at the salary).
Factories, on the other hand, has always been good and profitable (especially luxury factories and heavy war-equipment factories). Simply, there will be 2 clerks and 3 craftsmen in each factory, to gain the best amount of research possible. Of course, it could be difficult to govern a state without soldiers, therefore, some of all those converted labourers and farmers will be soldiers.
And NO clergy!

noclergy.gif

nobishop.gif

*A swiss is simply a person who lives in Switzerland, wherever on the globe that is, and whatever he actaully thinks he is. He or she is a property of the swiss state.

that's what I call good old-fashioned bureaucratic monarchism (as in Egypt) ;)

Are you suggesting that if you conquer France, its people will be swiss?;)

That brings up an interesting concept, on the difference of Jus soli and Jus Sanguinis.

France for example, fits more the jus soli, ie, you're French if you live in France and act French (speak French, know French culture) etc, it doesn't have much to do with how much French blood you have in you.

But German on the other hand, jus sanguinis, means you're German no matter how you act or where you live, as long as you have German blood in you.

Part II - Expanding
1839 - 1846​

The industrial development in Switzerland continued and an artillery factory was built on the 11th of February 1840 (production will start in a year). The rest of the year went smoothly and the treasury rose.
Surprisingly, the United Kingdom asked me if Switzerland wanted to join in a defensive alliance on the 17th of April 1841 (well, ok, it was event-triggered, but I didn’t know that then). I naturally accepted, since France had become a bit too aggressive, stationing troops at the border. Later in the year, during October and November, major effort was put into increasing the relationship with Austria; perhaps an alliance against France would be possible in the future.
Not much happened the following year, except for that I finally, in May, had paid of the national debt.
As an excuse to raise the taxes, several major political reforms were granted on the 18th of February 1843. Universal Suffrage. Free Press. All parties allowed. All trade unions allowed. With less than 700 000 inhabitants, those reforms were very cheap (about £450 each) and it would have been more expensive later, when the population had grown. Additional social reforms were granted on the 2nd of March, the same year. The reforms put a limit to the maximum work-time and wages, as well as good safety regulations, unemployment subsidies and pension funds

14th of May 1843
"Sir, you’ve asked for my service."
“Yes, my dear Maximillian, have you ever been in Venice?”
“Umh… no sir... Why do you ask?”
“I’ve been there. It is a beautiful city, just look at all those canals and bridges. Well, take this letter and make sure the Austrians get it.”
“Yes sir, but what’s in the letter?”
“Oh! Just an offer… I wish to buy Venice.”

Five days later a deal was made, that both parts could agree on. The province of Venezia was bought for £23.000 and a part of Swiss culture (Tech: Idealism)
During July, the same year, 5 Italian dragoon divisions were recruited and 5 clipper transports were being built in the docks of Venice.
The military academy in Venice was also put in use. On the 4th of November, an excellent officer-student had just passed the final tactics-exam, Dufour was his name,
Population statistics of Switzerland after the deal. The Swiss leader Dufour.
7_population.jpg
8_leader.jpg

British action on Crimea:
9_crimea.jpg

The industrialization continued and the Swiss government forced the factories upon the population of Venice. On the 4th of January 1844, there wasn’t a single llabourer or farmer in all of Switzerland (including Venice).
The Swiss put most of the research effort into commerce, culture and industry and nice as they were they shared some of the culture, to the barbarians in Austria. (Sold Romanticism for £22000)

12th of January 1845
"Sir, the catholics are revolting! They've created the Sonderbund!"
"Do we have any catholics?"
"Not in Schweiz sir, but there're catholics in Venezia..."
"And they've created the Sonderbund?"
"Yes sir."
*rolls a dice* “Umh, four... I rolled a four... punish the catholics... yep, that must be the right thing to do...”

(Some days are just worse than others)

The province of Venezia during the Sonderbund rebellion:
13_venezia.jpg

25th of June 1845
“Yes, my dear Maximillian, I want you to get those clipper transports ready to depart as soon as they’re finished. I wish to go on a cruise in the Mediterranean.”
“Yes sir. Anything else?”
“Yes, don’t forget to bring my Italian dragoons. You’re dismissed!”

Five clippers with five divisions of Italian dragoons left the docks of Venice early in the morning on the 6th of July.
10_fleet.jpg

A few days later the clippers arrived at the coast of Gabes.

10th of June 1845
“Yes, my dear Maximillian, could you deliver these orders to the captain, general Dufour and my Italian dragoons.”
“Yes sir. May I ask what the orders are?”
“We’re going to land in Gabes.”
“With five divisions of dragoons? Wouldn’t that be a declaration of war?”
“Call it what you want… I call it sightseeing…”
“Sir, the Swiss has always been for pacifism, this is a declaration of war!!”
“Of course, we would never declare war against another nation. You see, Tunisia isn’t a nation, it’s just a bunch of savages… just look… can you see any railroad?”
"No sir, but other nations might object."
“They’re just a bunch of cowards, they wouldn’t dare to do anything… now get going! You’re dismissed!”

"Sightseeing" in Tunisia:
11_dow.jpg

al-Harith licks Dufours boots:
12_battle.jpg

5th of February 1846
"Sir, the Tunisians have come with a peace offer."
:rolleyes: “Well, what are they offering?”
“Sir, they’re offering all of Tunisia except for the capital of Tunis.”
“What should I do with that land? It’s just desert, inhabited by Muslim savages.”
“You could make them a satellite nation, and make them civilized, like the Frenchmen did with Algiers.”
“Do like the Frenchman? Is that what you say? They have no right to have Switzerland as master, they don’t deserve it...”
“I see. But sir, what peace are you going to offer them? You can’t wage war against them forever.”
“I’ll humiliate them and take their gold, nothing else can be done. Now get that arranged. You’re dismissed!”

Additional “wars” were fought against Bali and Abu Dhabi. During the war with Abu Dhabi, this happened:

24th of July 1846 - France declare war against Switzerland! :eek:
14_dow.jpg

How will this end? :eek:

Bad boy Wars suck, don't they :)

Double post :)

Last edited: