• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(9449)

Duke of Gloucester
May 24, 2002
Visit site
I was trying a game as Piedmont-Sardinia with the computer handling trade from the get-go, and after about 1 month the comptuer was making extremely ridiculous trades. It was importing hundres of pounds worth of luxury clothing for no reason I could see. This bankrupted a tiny nation like myself, since it happened so quickly I wasn't aware it was going on. Is letting the CPU handle trade worthless?

Originally posted by Camerus
I was trying a game as Piedmont-Sardinia with the computer handling trade from the get-go, and after about 1 month the comptuer was making extremely ridiculous trades. It was importing hundres of pounds worth of luxury clothing for no reason I could see. This bankrupted a tiny nation like myself, since it happened so quickly I wasn't aware it was going on. Is letting the CPU handle trade worthless?

I don't know if I would call it worthless, but you should *not* let it handle the important stuff, like artillery.
You could let it run for a day and then see what it can and cannot do acording to your situation/strategy.

Aren't you suppose to be able to set "allowed" parameters for each product and then the computer will make sure the stock is not too low or high?

*just bought the game yesterday, only read a portion of the manual* :D

My respect for the trade AI is too small for me to trust it... I rather handle trade myself, unlike POP assignments to production. The reason for this is exactly like you stated, the computer does extremely stupid things (buying unnecessary stuff etc.)

My trade strategies include to always have orders on certain products that are in short supply, like for example machine tools (buy < 30). Also I have selling orders on goods I produce (unless I consume them at a faster rate).

Originally posted by Camerus

It isn't worthless, it's priceless. The reason why it decides to buy stuff is because those are needed somewhere: luxury clothing is required for upgrading some pops.

What one should do is disable trades in those expensive goods that aren't needed, like artillery if no war is in sight, glass if you don't plan on building colonies, precious metals to 5-10 if you just plan upgrading pops not buildin trading posts (and zero if you don't think you are upgrading any), ships if you don't want a navy or don't need convoys etc. etc.

As time passes and you become wealthier and start doing more decisions requiring goods it might be easier to let AI handle more. It is especially good in goods you produce little, but need in big lumps like the requirements for railroads. Without it you would have to reset the orders all the time, or wait for ages for your single cement factory to produce needed 50 cement.

just handle trade yourself, it takes a while to understand how it works but in the end u win =)

The AI in no good at trade. Turn it off. BTW, has anyone else noted that the products that you unclicked for AI management are still unclicked if you load the game as another country in another campaign?

Originally posted by cthulhu
The AI in no good at trade. Turn it off. BTW, has anyone else noted that the products that you unclicked for AI management are still unclicked if you load the game as another country in another campaign?

Which is good, since I normally play with quite a similar strategy all the time. It's like message settings, I'd hate it if I had to change them every time I start a new game.

I just realized that the AI trade function might be good in MP. Right now I pause A lot, especially before building a new factory etc. and I have to asjust trade settings. That would not work in MP, so I guess auto trade is a better alternative there.

Originally posted by Rick III
I'm terrified to do it but I'm equally bogged down learning the frickin' system and doing things like waiting 10 years to buy necessary machine tools.

:(

Plan to try to let the computer do it tomorrow.
to be able to get them, you need to have better prestige... remember that the country with highest prestige buys first in the WM, then the following country, etc... so, if you are well behind the first countries there will be no machine tools when you get there... ;)

Originally posted by whyamihere
I take its not possible to specify which countries you trade with then? You'd have to place an embargo (assuming you can do that) on all of those above your specific trade partner so that they're first on your list in the world market, right?
no. :D

Hmm that does suck. Do you even know where your goods come from when you purchase them on the world marker? Can you hand over goods as a diplomatic option?

I know playing against the AI won't allow you to build the greatest of trading partnerships, but in MP it could become vital. I may be sitting on a nice reserve of oil but have specific intentions for it, i.e. want to sell it to an ally, but most certainly don't want a rival to get hold of it.