• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

treedom

Dapper Dan Man, Dammit
70 Badges
Mar 5, 2001
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
This is my first serious attempt at an AAR. Though I did a little bit of research, I'm not a historian. Remember that if anything is wrong. :) Well, that's it. Enjoy.

Yongle Emperor - May 16th, 1418 - Nanjing

The Middle Kingdom prospers. The Mongols are momentarily dispersed. The Great Wall and Grand Canal are in good repair, better than they've been in years. Ships of the Imperial Fleet, under the brave Zheng He, roam to the ends of the earth and bring back riches and promises of tribute from distant and exotic lands. The people eat well and flourish because of the benevolent agricultural reforms of my father, himself a peasant born. And yet, there are insidious plotters in every shadow, the bulk of them spawning from Nanjing, that thieves' den which I call my capital. I must ever be careful of hidden threats and plots against my person and the accomplishments of my dynasty. My subjects, I am led to believe, have grown idle in the prosperity my mighty father and I have given to them, and this is how they now chose to pass the time. Perhaps I should give them something to do.

In addition, the Manchus to the north have grown belligerent, and must be shown the harmony of the Middle Kingdom. Before we can bring them harmony, unfortunately, we must bring to them the chaos of war, for they are like children who must be forcefully shown that something is good for them before they will accept the logic of it.

It occurs to me that both problems can be solved with one action. This is why I have decided to invade the Manchu next spring.

Yongle_emperor.jpg

Yongle

Admiral Zheng He - January 2nd, 1419 - Liaoning

My lord and master, the Yongle Emperor, has lost much to age. Where his efforts were once concentrated on the defense and prosperity of the Middle Kingdom, he now wastes them on imagined plots. I fear that his dark path to the throne has planted a paranoia within him long ago. And now, after it has had years to fester, it is taking control of his faculties.

As I leave, by his grace, on yet another expedition to lands unknown, he is preparing a campaign into Manchu. It is my hope that a glorious venture such as this will restore the benevolent energies within him.

Yongle Emperor - January 21st, 1419 - Hebei

When a general takes the offensive, he fights war on his terms. He forces his enemy to act merely by reacting, and thereby introduces a greater chance for mistakes. Why is this so hard for my officers and men to understand? Alas, I think I have finally made some progress on indoctrinating my armies with this idea, but they resist and grumble at every turn. (went offensive +1...stability -1)

zhenghe.gif

Zheng He

Admiral Zheng He - January 23rd, 1419 - Nippon

The stopover in Nippon has proven fruitful. I have, on the Emperor's behalf, come to a lucrative agreement with the Nippon concerning trade. We head toward the South Seas tomorrow.

Yongle Emperor - January 29th, 1419 - Hebei

I have word that Mengge Temur, the unwashed king of an unwashed people, has split his army and repositioned it ever closer to our borders. Has he gotten wind of my plans? Does he expect an attack? Are my enemies hoping to somehow benefit from this war by siding with the barbarians?

Is *he* still alive?

1419-02-01.GIF

"Mengge Temur has split his army and repositioned it ever closer to our borders." - Yongle

Governor San Jaesun - January 30th, 1419 - Hebei

The Emperor is a suspicious buffoon. He stations 70,000 troops just outside the Manchu border for months on end, and is then surprised when the enemy becomes suspicious. He is intent on the notion that half my scribes are spies, and honestly, I find the accusations quite insulting. I may even have said something if half the money from the imperial coffers weren't presently being poured into my province in support of the army.

Yongle Emperor - February 1st, 1419 - Hebei

San Jaesun's refusal to root out the spies in his beaurocracy borders on treason. I shall deal with him after the Manchu campaign, for I am far too busy at this time. Today my army is on the move again. We march into Liaoning province, and thereafter into Manchu lands.

Admiral Zheng He - April 21st, 1419 - Hainan

We have arrived in Hainan today, the southernmost bastion of the Emperor's lands. After replenishing our stores, we sail south to explore the unknown waters around the island kingdom of Bali.

Yongle Emperor - May 2nd, 1419 - Liaoning

After a long wait, ten thousand new troops are finally ready for action. They bring my army's numbers to eighty thousand, roughly one third of which is cavalry. I have stared down the Manchu across the frontier for nearly two months now, and I find them to be nothing more than uncultured savages. My army is anxious for battle, and my resolve for this war is strengthened. As I write this, a dispatch is on its way to the Manchu with a declaration of war.

I have given Colonel Wong Hau command of nearly half the army. He is to stay behind for the moment while I move to Liaotung and deal with the larger of the two Manchu armies. Should the second army in Jehol try to enter our borders in the meantime, it is up to Wong to deal with them.

Colonel Wong Hau - May 16th, 1419 - Liaoning

Five thousand Manchu horsemen have moved into Hepei and seiged it. I am assured that the garrison there can hold for up to a year, so I am setting out for Jehol. The bulk of the second Manchu army is still there, and we outnumber them by more than ten thousand men. If both the Emperor and I are successful in our respective actions, I suspect the enemy will be broken.

Yongle Emperor - May 17th, 1419 - Liaotung

Not long after entering Manchu lands, we find ourselves in the midst of battle. The Manchu fools have no cavalry! What madness is this? There will be no escape and no mercy for them!

1419-05-17.GIF

"Not long after entering Manchu lands, we find ourselves in the midst of battle." - Yongle

Colonel Wong Hau - May 17th, 1419 - Liaoning

Our scouts tell us that the army in Jehol is again on the move. About ten thousand of them are coming right for us. Fools. We will stay put and give them a warm welcome.

Yongle Emperor - May 25th, 1419 - Liaotung

Our cavalry ran circles around the enemy while our infantry stoutly advanced and cleaved into their ranks. We have decimated the enemy, and watch as they run to Jilin. The remainder of the army in Jehol is now headed our way. With over forty thousand men at my command, all healthy and eager for more blood, I am ready for them.

Admiral Zheng He - July 21st, 1419 - at Sea

Today I have been witness to a miracle. The sea is still rough as I rest briefly and put my thoughts to paper, but hours ago we were beset by immensely strong winds and rough waters - a hurricane. My mighty navy was tossed about like so much driftwood. I was preparing myself to see Allah, while my crew prayed to the Celestial Spouse, for we all thought this storm would surely destroy us. Then, a divine light suddenly shone at the tips of the mast. As soon as this miraculous light appeared, the danger was appeased. I'm a certified believer.

Colonel Wong Hau - June 6, 1419 - Liaoning

The ten thousand Manchus, all of them on horse, first engaged us on May 28th. After a week of skirmishing we have sent them running back to Jehol. We are right behind them.

Yongle Emperor - June 15th, 1419 - Liaotung

It appears that we caught the Manchurians totally off-guard. Their entire cavalry was in Jehol, while their infantry was in Liaotung. Fools. Nevertheless, we just finished dealing with the bulk of their cavalry. They are currently on the retreat as well.

The war has quickly turned entirely in my favour. Wong Hau has proven himself quite capable and has dealt with the remains of the second army, all cavalry though it was. Presently I have initiated a siege of Mukden and have bid Wong do the same when he reaches Jehol.

Admiral Zheng He - August 11th, 1419 - Jakarta

We have discovered a new land. The natives, who are few and harmless, call it Jakarta. It is a bountiful and lush place, suitable for a grand colony from where more expeditions can be mounted. I am confident that the Emperor will see the wisdom behind such a colony, and hope that his war in the north goes well so that the resources for such a task may be available.

Yongle Emperor - October 6th, 1419 - Liaotung

Silly fool that he is, Mengge Temur has sent a peace delegation offering tribute. I came for more than tribute. I came to assimilate the Manchus into the harmony of the Middle Kingdom. They should be grateful. Instead, they send delegations to insult me.

On a more serious note, the Manchu have regrouped in Baicheng. Their power there grows every month while we wait in front of these miserable walls. Thankfully they and the miserable garrison within them are showing signs of strain, both here and in Jehol. We will be able to deal with the new Manchu menace soon.

1419-11-14.GIF

"[Manchu] power [in Baicheng] grows every month while we wait in front of these miserable walls." - Yongle

Yongle Emperor - December 13th, 1419 - Liaotung

The accursed walls of Mukden have finally been breached. Thanks in part to an infusion of five thousand fresh troops in mid-November, we are now ready to march on Jilin, the Manchu capital. Daily I am plagued by my advisors to wait out the winter before initiating another siege. They are fools with no foresight. If we give the Manchu the winter to regroup, then all our victories this year will have been in vain. We march on.

Yongle Emperor - December 24th, 1419 - Liaotung

As I write these words, I strive hard to control my anger at the news I have received today. My ministers in Nanjing, my distant capital, are traitorous curs. Because of their treasonous plotting with the Mongols, I am forced to journey to Nanjing to restore loyalty, thus leaving my army behind during the bleakest time of the year.

It occurs to me that perhaps my servants in Nanjing have become too accustomed to their importance. The whole city has become a cesspool of treason. There is also the matter of my ascent to the throne. The murder of my nephew is still a black stain on me in parts of that city, despite all the good I have done for the Kingdom since then.

The north is where I have spent most of my life. This is where the focus of my many campaigns is, and where it should be, for the Mongols will not stay harmless for long. It is also where the most loyal of my subjects are. It makes sense that I should immediately move my capital north to Beijing.

Yes. I shall build a magnificent fortress and it shall protect me from any and all who would use the specter of my nephew to further their ambitions. There are so very few who I can trust.

More to come. Praise, comments and criticism are welcome. ;)

Last edited:
I must say its refreshing to see a chinese AAR once in awhile ;) I also like your style of Multiple Journal entries by different Characters!

Keep it coming :)

A nice start indeed. May the Manchu be subjugated! May China prosper. Be wary of the upcoming civil war!

An interesting start, good integration of the gameplay into the story, very well-written and it even has illustrations. It looks a first-class AAR - I commend you.

I especially liked the way you caught the paranoid tone in Yongle's passages and the resignation in his subordinates'.

Of course, I still want the Chinese Empire to crash and burn, but there's nothing personal in that ;)

Thanks for the kind words everyone, they're much appreciated! :) I have found a place to host my pics, and have inserted them above. Look for an update (with more screenies) soon.

Alexandru: Da...nascut in Bucuresti. But, I emigrated to Canada when I was nine.

You seem to be starting well. Hopefully that will continue, and fortunately you have quite some time to prepare for the events that can destroy your empire. Good luck!:)

Yongle Emperor - January 8th, 1420 - Beijing

I have arrived in Beijing today and spoken with my eldest son, Zhu Gaochi. I have explained to him the news of the affairs in Nanjing. Zhu Tsiang, my unscrupulous cousin, has gathered a faction of loyal followers about him there, and aims to make a pact against me with Shir Muhammad of the Chagatai Khanate. Thankfully my foresight in having the traitor watched has paid off and I have received word of this plot before it is too late. I have already sent advance word to Nanjing to have Zhu Tsiang and his cronies imprisoned. Come morning I continue my journey south to the capital, where I will deal with them myself.

It troubles me deeply that my son and heir does not see the seriousness behind this crisis. He waves the news off, unconcerned. At least he fully supports my plans to relocate the capital.

Zhu Gaochi - January 8th, 1420 - Beijing

My father informed me today that he aims to move the capital to Beijing. I cannot say that I am against this. I have long believed the present position of our official residence in Nanjing to be weak. The city sits in a valley surrounded by high ground; a very weak position indeed. Of course, the Emperor's reasons for the move have nothing to do with this, but as long as the results of his troubling paranoia are agreeable, who am I to argue with reasons.

Construction of fortifications here in Beijing has long been underway, lately under my supervision. It is not a great leap from previous plans to make the city into our capital, especially since it has served as one before, during Mongol rule.

Meng Laifu, Treasury Minister, member of the Royal Council - January 20th, 1420 - Nanjing

The recent events of the Emperor's unexpected visit to the capital have left me with a sense of foreboding. He is convinced, and neither I nor any other of his loyal advisors can change his mind, that his cousin Zhu Tsiang, formerly the Foreign Minister and a member of the Royal Council himself, leads a plot to overthrow him. The Emperor accuses Tsiang of meeting with emissaries from the Chagatai Khanate and of making secret deals with them.

Of course Zhu Tsiang meets with the Chagatai! He is the Foreign Minister! It is what he does. Ah what use is it, Tsiang hangs tomorrow.

Hao Badung, Foreign Minister, member of the Royal Council - January 21st, 1420 - Nanjing

Today I saw my former superior hang. He maintained his innocence to the end. But, oh how guilty he is - guilty of standing in my way. He denied me the hand of his fair daughter in marriage, and the princely dowry which would have accompanied it. Now he is dead, and his office as well as the eternal gratitude of the Emperor is mine.

soellerhaus-winter.jpg

Zhu Zhanji - January 22nd, 1420 - Jilin

It has been nearly a month since the Emperor, my grandfather, set off in haste for the capital. It seems as if, with every day that passes, conditions get worse for us in this miserable land. My men die by the dozens of cold and malnourishment. I don't imagine that the food situation is much better for the Manchu inside their walls, but they cannot be as cold as we are during the long nights.

Governor San Jaesun - February 10th, 1420 - Beijing

News from Nanjing has preceded the Emperor's arrival today. It is not only the official dispatches that I refer to. I have also received word from a friend in the council that the charges against Zhu Tsiang were totally unfounded. It is a dangerous year to hold power, it seems, when the emperor's suspicions are so easily manipulated by the ambitions of opportunists.

It is my hope that the Emperor can be convinced of my loyalty by the great sum of gold which I have today offered him in support of his ongoing war. It pains me to part with it, but if it leaves me in a better position than poor Zhu Tsiang, I can live with the loss. (random event, gift from the nobles)

Yongle Emperor - February 12th, 1420 - Beijing

Perhaps I have misjudged San Jaesun. In light of the current situation in Manchu, his lavish gift is most welcome. It has been nearly two months since I was forced away from the war, and now that I return to it, I find that my grandson has managed to lose many men outside the walls of Jilin this winter. Fresh troops shall have to be raised immediately.

Fortunately the Manchu are still in a state of chaos after the defeats we dealt them last year, and pose no threat to the sieges. I shall remain here to oversee the equipping and training of the new regiment, and with it rejoin Zhu Zhanji in the spring.

Admiral Zheng He - March 19th, 1420 - Hainan

My anxiousness to tell my lord and Emperor of our discoveries has been dampened by the news I have received of happenings in Nanjing. The Emperor has decided to move the capital north to Beijing. This has proven to be such a drain on the imperial treasury that there are no funds available to seek the colonization of Jakarta at this time. I am relieved, however, that enough funds for another voyage have been allocated to me, and seek to set off as soon as possible before the unfortunate politics of the land take even that away.

I aim to explore further east this time, between the Philippines and Brunei.

4Ming-Xuande.jpg

Zhu Zhanji

Zhu Zhanji - May 2nd, 1420 - Jilin

My grandfather's senility is boundless. It was I who led the pleas against sieging Jilin last autumn. It was I who actually paid heed to the warnings of our military advisors that supplying an army this large and this far from our borders during the winter would be impossible. But he remained insistent, and we marched for Jilin anyway. After leaving me here the whole winter to deal with the hellishly cold conditions, the starvations, desertions and mutinies which I had warned him about, he accuses *me* of incompetence!

Colonel Wong Hau - May 23rd, 1420 - Jehol

The grand success of yesterday has been tarnished by the conduct of some of my men today. Certain officers, who have been accordingly reprimanded, allowed the order within their ranks to deteriorate upon our entry into the city. The rampant looting and other foul deeds which were committed as a result have done much more damage than good to our cause. I fear that conduct such as this by our armies will raise sympathy for our enemy.

Ko Saiho, a member of the rank and file - May 23rd, 1420 - Jehol

Looting is fun! I managed to find a nice wedding ring for my bride to be back home. I hear that the Emperor is sending Wong Hau and us to Baicheng next. I hope there will be more looting there as well!

Colonel Wong Hau - July 9th, 1420 - Baicheng

After over a month of skirmishing and battles, we have again dispersed the Manchu army. We found that we faced mainly green troops, and walked over them at every turn. Finally we can concentrate on laying siege to the city itself. By all accounts, the enemy appears broken. I rejoice that this war shall end soon and entirely in our favour.

Admiral Zheng He - March 19th, 1420 - Mindanao

It seems that the world around the Middle Kingdom is filled with endless riches, waiting for us to exploit. We have discovered Mindanao today, a land very rich in precious spices - the very kinds of spices that westerners would pour endless gold into the pockets of our merchants for. Oh, how I pray for a quick and successful end to the Manchu war. To ignore these riches for much longer would be terribly shortsighted.

Yongle Emperor - September 3rd, 1420 - Jilin

How could I have not foreseen this? The accursed Koreans have joined the war against us! What treachery is this? Do my enemies know no honour? They plot with the barbarians who would throw our magnificent kingdom into chaos! May the curs rot in hell!

1420-09-03.GIF

"The accursed Koreans have joined the war against us!" - Yongle

Governor San Jaesun - September 11th, 1420 - Beijing

The Emperor's conduct during this war has been unfortunate. He has displayed great vigor in flushing out imagined plots in Nanjing. But, when it comes to basic diplomatic measures, he is found wanting. It would have been prudent to ensure that the Koreans did not ally themselves with the Manchu during this war. My lord's failure in this matter serves only to lengthen and complicate what should have been a quick war.

Admiral Zheng He - September 19th, 1420 - Brunei

Can one call it 'discovering' a land, when the message of the prophet has preceded me to this wonderful land called Brunei? The Sultan Ahmad, who received me warmly, feasting in my honour and that of my lord and Emperor, informed me that his people had come to this land from Malay not too long ago. The land, like all in this corner of the world, is rich in spices. The more I see, the more I am convinced that there is much to be gained in this region.

Zhu Zhanji - Nov 22nd, 1420 - Jilin

This is madness! Winter approaches once again, and my grandfather is hell bent on invading Korea! The Manchu have been dispersed once again by Wong Hau and we have taken their capital just days ago. The Koreans, meanwhile, are separated from us by the Yalu river. There are no immediate threats to us. The wisest action would be to retreat the bulk of the army to Liaotung, and wait until spring. If the Koreans are foolish enough to attack us before then, it is they who will have to deal with foul weather, short supplies and the Yalu River.

Zheng He - December 14th, 1420 - Hainan

I have been informed that the northern war has been complicated by Korea. Despite the elation I feel when I finally pull into a Kingdom port after the end of a long voyage, I am starting to dread the occasion for the bad news it always seems to bring.

Yongle Emperor - January 9th, 1421 - Yalu

Have my subjects grown so soft under my prosperous rule that they forget how to endure the hardships of war? I have never in my long life heard such an abundance of complaining and whining as I have since the crossing of the Yalu. Even though they are well fed and paid, their morale plummets. It is my hope that after we destroy the Koreans and loot their wretched cities their spirits will rise. This is a glorious time for the Middle Kingdom, after all. Future generations shall sing of our deeds here.

Yongle Emperor - January 20th, 1421 - Yalu

I am fast losing faith in the temperment of my own grandson. He is always quick to listen to the coward eunuch advisors, and their cautious approach to everything. He raged on and on back in Jilin about the foolishness of entering Korea during the winter. Well, here we are; an uneventful Yalu crossing is behind us, the Korean army in Yalu province has been crushed before the walls of their capital, and spring is around the corner. Does he admit to my wisdom in this action? No! Instead he seeks to turn back even now, on the eve of my greatest victory.

Zhu Zhanji - January 20th, 1421 - Yalu

Tomorrow our army of 24,000 marches south into Kyongju. There the bulk of the Korean army, reportedly 29,000 in number, awaits us. I cannot shake the feeling that we are marching to our doom.

Zhu Zhanji - February 15th, 1421 - Kyongju

Failure and tragedy. That is what I have been a part of today. The Koreans have broken us. It is my estimate that we lost over 10,000 men in this battle, and only with the greatest effort have we been able to leave the field of battle in good order. The Emperor, though thankfully unharmed, has effectively withdrawn from actively commanding the army, and it is left to me to lead us back over the Yalu while he broods. The men are demoralized, and it is my fear that another clash with the Koreans will be fatal.

Our scouts tell me that they are following us north into Yalu province, and that they are 24,000 strong. They outnumber us by more than 10,000 and they seek to pin us against the coast with their constant manouvers. We are doomed.

Zhu Zhanji - March 13th, 1421 - Yalu

We have avoided the Koreans for a month now, but I fear we can run no longer. We are still deep within their territory, and they continue to outmaneuver us. Our supply lines are in danger, the men are demoralized, and a battle against a superior army seems inevitable.

Our only hope is that our desperate dispatches to Wong Hau and my father, informing them of our situation, have inspired them to take some sort of action to relieve us.

Yongle Emperor - March 14th, 1421 - Yalu

I may have doubted it at times before, but the strong blood of the Ming runs through the veins of my son and heir, Zhu Gaochi. His timely peace settlement with the Manchu has plucked us from our hour of despair, and made us victorious. The Manchu, their richest lands in our hands and Wong Hau threatening to take even more from them, have given us Liaotung and Jehol as well as a sizeable payment of gold. The Koreans, who are wary of our attention being turned solely on them, have agreed to honour the settlement, and pledged to harass us no more as long as we make a timely withdrawal over the Yalu.

1421-03-30.GIF

"[The peace agreement] was certainly not the end of our humiliation" - Zhu Zhanji

Zhu Zhanji - April 6th, 1421 - Liaotung

Korea is finally behind us. I leave the worst days of my life there, and wish never to return. After the sheer hopelessness we endured in February and half of March, we were elated to learn that we were saved, by the skill and wisdom of my father. That may have been the end of our desperation, but it was certainly not the end of our humiliation. While the Koreans did not harass us, they followed us closely the whole way, and taunted us to no end. The Emperor assured me that bards would sing of our deeds in Korea before he led us on this fool's errand. He was right, though I do not think that they will sing the type of songs he would like to hear.

Last edited:
Great AAR! I like the diary-style you're using, it's giving insights into what every character thinks. Hope we'll see intrigues as well :D

Great stuff so far, really nice writing and illustrations:)

I'm glad the multi-character journal format I used is so well received :) It's sort of inspired from the format George RR Martin uses in Song of Ice and Fire, with the different points of view sometimes covering the same events.

The other thing is, I've never played China before, and I'm also not too familiar with its history (but that's being rememdied since I've been doing a lot of reading for this AAR). All your warnings about the upcoming civil war makes me go *gulp*. I'm going into this blind!! Maybe it's better that way ;)

I'll try to update tonight or, failing that, tommorow for sure. I don't have as much time during weeknights :(

Last edited:
Great AAR. Please continue ASAP. ;)

Also playing China. Decided to unite the Confucian faith. Couldn't resist vassalizing all neighbours and most of SE Asia, though. Nor, in the long run, Malacca (reduced to one province by Siam). The gods are with me on this one, though, as the heretics in Malacca converted within months of my conquest.

Hear me talking about my own game. Please tell us more about yours! :cool:

I like the running commentary from multiple characters. Very nice writing... and a nice job of salvaging a profitable peace after the debacle in Korea.

Yongle isn't paranoid, just observant. Everyone is against China, including many of her own people! :D

Thank you :)

The next update is in the works, but I have a question to anyone who knows a bit more about Chinese history and culture. Through reading a bit here and there, I've noticed that the emperor names (like Yongle) are actually reign mottos. Yongle's name was actually Zhu Di. And, (according to this link http://www.chinaknowledge.org/History/Ming-Qing/ming.htm#rulers ) he also had another name - Ming Chengzu. :wacko: Colour me confused!

My question is (since I'm writting in this journal style) what was it customary to refer to the emperor as? Zhu Di? Yongle Emperor? Ming Chengzu? And, why all these names? Please excuse my ignorance on the subject; I did try to find the answer on my own, but haven't been able to.

Also, I hadn't realized what a great learning experience writting AARs was! I've learned a lot about Chinese history over the past few days! :)

Hi there, glad you're doing a China AAR, I hope you finish it!

In all the earlier dynasties, the Emperors were referred to as something like

DynastyName Something Emperor

Example:

Fifth Emperor of Western Han Dynasty

Han Wu Di (Liu Che)

Han Martial Emperor

Second Emperor of Tang Dynasty

Tang Tai Zong (Li Xi Min)

Literally Tang Great Ancestor

Each of these Emperors of course had reign mottos also, and the Emperor could change these reign names as often as he wished. Some had 3 or 4 reign mottos because they wanted a change.

However, further down the line it became "fashionable" (??) for Emperors to stick to only ONE reign motto. I dont know why this is myself. Hence instead of referring to them as Ming __ Emperor or Qing __ Emperor we can refer to them by the reign mottos. This was especially the case in the Qing dynasty.

For the purposes of your AAR, you can introduce the Emperors as Ming ___, but thereafter just Yongle or whatever. No one refers to them by their actual names though.

As for why so many names, in Ancient China people had loads of names. Parents gave them a baby name, a proper name, then when men turned 20 they gave themselves a name, and another name for studying, maybe another name given by the Emperor. Only two names are usually kept though, the one given by the parents and the one you give yourself at 20.

Example:
Cao Cao, also known as Cao Meng De, nicknamed Cao Ah Mun.

Hope this clears things up a bit; and glad you're learning a bit about an area of history you werent too familiar with before!

And oh - "traditional" Chinese names for countries in Asia.

Korea = Chao Xian. North Koreans actually still refer to Korea as "Chosun".
Japan = Dong Ying, or just "Japanese pirates", or "Eastern Ocean Devils" later in the Ming when many Japanese pirates attacked
the Chinese coast.
Any European = Western Barbarian. Enough said.
Nomadic tribes in North/North Central Asia = host of tribal names, but for this time period the Manchus were known as Nuzhen.

Last edited: