• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Amric

Hurricane Sergeant of Arms
2 Badges
May 4, 2003
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis III
  • 500k Club
Another Hurricane Production by Amric Al'Aeshir Holdings

800 B.C.

One of the last of the Phoenician colonizing attempts occurred on the island of Cyprus. After the fall of Troy in 1200 B.C. and the falling out of those who had traveled to what would become Rome a small fleet of ships set sail out of Port Ostia to found a new land. Their choice? The island of Cyprus. They hoped that they would be left alone as they weren’t on the mainland. History would prove them wrong.

They would be conquered by the Assyrians, Egyptians, and the Persians over the course of centuries. Despite this they tried and mostly succeeded in keeping their culture and traditions. Then the worst humiliation occurred.

333 B.C.

The Macedonian troops swarmed ashore. They were under orders by Alexander himself to conquer this island and remove all traces of Persia from it. They knew that Greek speaking inhabitants occupied the island and had for many centuries. It would be returned to the fold of the Greek speaking world, under the Empire of Alexander.

The Persians fought valiantly but fruitlessly in their attempt to hold onto the island. All things Persian were destroyed. Buildings, artwork, and even cities that had been built during their occupation were razed to the ground. It took years, longer than Alexander himself had left.

In the end, the Ptolemies of Egypt took over control of the Island. Then the true humiliation happened.

58 B.C.

The Romans entered Salamis, the last holdout of rebellion and the island was now firmly in their control. The onetime home of the ancestors of the Phoenician colonists had come into her own and come after their erstwhile colonists. As their conquerors and betters. It would stay under Roman and then Byzantine rule until 1191 when Richard I of England conquered it.

He would give it to Guy of Lusignan in 1192. It is still in their hands as of today. January 1, 1419. However none of the conquerors of Cyprus ever managed to eradicate the Phoenician presence. In fact the conquerors would end up marrying into the landed families of Phoenicia. The name of the ruling family might be French, but they were Phoenician to the core.

January 1, 1419

King Jannus of Cyprus was also heir to Kingdom of Jerusalem. But that kingdom was gone, eaten by the Islamic hordes. Never to return. Her time in history was done, and if something wasn’t done soon, Cyprus would soon join her into trash heap of history. A place where only scholarly historians traveled and nobody else cared. A place Jannus did not want to find his beloved nation. Therefore there was a council ordered to discuss the ramifications of the Muslim nations and the near death of the Byzantine Empire.

Jannus called his General of the Army, Vataces as well as his Admiral, Diogenes along with the his chief of staff, Andru and the Interior Minister, State Minister, the Cyprian Corps of Engineers commander, and the Head of the Merchants Union: Erdan, Karlos, Tomas, and Georges, respectively. The meeting was to be held, like all such meetings, in the king’s study.

A large, comfortable room filled with sturdy furniture, a desk and a conference table of polished yew wood taken from the palace of the Kingdom of Jerusalem itself many years before. Bookcases full of books, from Sophocles, Aristotle, Archimedes, and many others, including a Greek translation of the Art of War by Sun Tzu which had somehow made it all the way from the land of the Chin through the muslim lands and into the old kingdom lands before it’s fall.

Far above were ancient shields and weapons from the King’s ancestors. A roaring fire crackled ominously in the granite fireplace and the great candelabra with its one hundred candles had been lit to ensure that there was plenty of light for all the men to see properly the maps and other documents that would be perused.

“Gentlemen,” Jannus sighed,” I believe our nation is in grave danger. Not only from the infidel, but from Christian nations as well.”

“Your Majesty,” General Vataces nodded,” I agree, but we just do not have the numbers necessary to defeat a large scale invasion. The entire island only has roughly 11 thousand people on it. Even with every man, woman, and child under arms we have no hope of winning for long before our available manpower pool is completely wiped out.”

“Nor can our fledgling navy be of much hope either,” Admiral Diogenes frowned,” Kato Pafos Harbor and the shipbuilding industry there can only build one ship at a time. It will be quite a while before we can truly be a force on the Mediterranean. I can offer no hope from my end either.”

Andru growled,” Now that you have said what you can’t do, how about telling us what you CAN do?”

Jannus waved for order,” Now Andru, they are only speaking the truth. You know it, and I know it. Harping about our inadequacies will gain us nothing. I don’t need acrimony here, I need a plan of action that will allow us to survive. Not as a satrapy of the Muslims or a province of another Christian nation. An independent country that is powerful enough to be feared in terms of invading us, and our sovereignty respected.”

“Well said,” Georges applauded gently,” Now I do have a limited plan of action on the part of our Merchant Union.”

“Go on,” Jannus prodded gently.

“I believe that we must trade with others,” he replied,” not only Christian nations, but our enemies as well. I say we send merchants to open up trade in Venice, Genoa, and Alexandria.”

“You must be mad!” Admiral Diogenes shouted,” Trade with the infidel? That will only cause them to look upon us as a tasty morsel to be snapped up.”

“Admiral!” Jannus barked,” Which part of not needing acrimony did you not understand earlier?”

Diogenes looked abashed,” I apologize, Majesty.”

“Now Georges, explain your plan,” Jannus urged.

“Venice and Genoa are obvious,” Georges continued,” Alexandria is our nearest and damn near only place we are going to get things from the Orient, such as spices. We could get spices from Venice, and perhaps even Genoa. But it will be far cheaper to get them from Alexandria.”

“Admiral,” Vataces chuckled,” he has you there. You do like your have exotic spices with your food.”

Diogenes smiled,” So he does. I will temper my objections henceforth. I apologize to you, Georges.”

“Thank you,” Georges nodded.

“We need to work on the agricultural situation,” Erdan opined,” If we increase production dramatically we can afford to feed more people. And we could trade our excess to Venice or Genoa. Sending grain to Alexandria would be a complete waste of time. Grain production has been a staple of Egypt since long before the Romans.”

“What of the copper mines nearby?” Vataces queried.

“General,” Erdan replied,” At some point they will be of great use in our military and agricultural endeavors. Very much so. I believe we need to trade some of it, but only to Christian nations. No infidels should have access to it.”

“I most heartily agree,” Vataces nodded.

“The salt of Larnaca has no use in Europe as Salzburg supplies much of Central and Eastern Europe,” Erdan sighed,” And I have no interest in selling it in Venice or Genoa as it wouldn’t pay for itself.”

Georges coughed,” There is always Portugal to trade with, or even the infidel in Alexandria. Alexandria is a very important center of trade and we really must trade there and have a good trading balance there to get the best prices for spices and other goods.”

“I hadn’t thought of that,” Erdan said,” It is definitely worth considering.”

“We also need to expand the wine production in the Limassol region as well as improve the quality of the wine,” Erdan continued,” As well as exponentially expand the farming here in the central plains near Nicosia, as well as around Famagusta and Limassol. We also need to start intensive farming around Morfu as well.”

Andru scribbled some notes,” Very good. I agree. More food would also allow us to let the population of the island to expand as well. Which would give us more taxes, ergo money, and more people that we could conscript into the army and navy.”

Tomas cleared his throat,” I believe that our Corps of Engineers will be quite busy clearing new lands and building irrigation canals. But we also wish to build Roman style roads that would allow for quick passage of troops along with goods. We plan on building major bridges across the Pedieos River, as well as the other major rivers of the island. This will help promote more traffic along the roads.”

“Very good indeed,” Jannus said,” But that doesn’t help us in terms of our external enemies.”

Karlos smiled,” I believe we should ignore them. We have no hope of invading the holy land and taking it from the infidel. Asking for help from other Christian states would make us the staging area for any invasion. Let us not forget what happened to Constantinople not all that long ago with Crusaders.”

“Ignore them? By pretending that they aren’t there and maybe they won’t remember we are here?” Erdan queried.

“No, just not bother trying to come up with a plan to retake a land that no longer belongs to us,” Karlos replied,” I believe we should do what our remote ancestors did so very long ago.”

“Meaning?” Andru asked.

“Colonize,” Karlos shrugged simply,” We explore and find new lands to inhabit. There have been records of lands far to the west from our so distant ancestors. Nobody has found them yet. I propose that we find lands far to the west and colonize them. Build a new nation far from our enemies.”

Jannus rubbed his beard thoughtfully,” Now that is indeed an interesting proposal. How do you think we ought to do this?”

“Sail to the west, of course,” Karlos smiled,” The details are vague of course. I am not a sailor. Perhaps Admiral Diogenes might have a suggestion?”

Diogenes frowned in thought briefly,” I suppose we could ask for access to Spanish and Portuguese ports. That would allow us to really start our explorations from their lands, rather than here in Cyprus. That would shorten the sailing time quite a bit. It would take time, but I believe it could be done. I have no idea how long it would take, but the effort would be worth it.”

Jannus perked up,” I like it. I like it a LOT! By God, we’ll do it! Diogenes, I want you to lead the expedition. Find us new lands to colonize. We WILL escape the infidels and the greedy grasping hands of our Christian brothers.”

The men around the table look a little more hopeful. The meeting wasn’t actually thought to have been much more than the usual griping and finger pointing that past meetings had always become. But two weeks earlier the king had a dream that profoundly affected him. He ordered his advisors to come up with answers, not excuses. Although the General hadn’t really had much choice in his actions, the Admiral redeemed himself with whole heartedly endorsing the colonization plan.

“Very well gentlemen,” Jannus poured wine for each of them,” Let us toast to a new hope. A new future. To Cyprus! A Trail of Hope!”

With that the eight men around the circular table drank deeply and smiled in unison. With that they all peered at the map of Cyprus and made various comments and suggestions to the Engineer and to the Interior Minister including building a new harbor at Salamis. The need for ships was one of nearly paramount importance. The fever of colonization had swept deep into the men and they were eager to get the voyages of discovery under way.

Very late at night the king yawned and stretched,” That is enough for tonight. Let us work individually on our particulars and return here in one year with an update on our progress.”

The other seven men agreed and they all went their separate ways to implement their plans. Even though it was late at night the others all brimmed with energy. Andru cleared the table and placed the maps in their individual cubbies as the king poured another jot of brandy for the two of them.

“What do you think?” Jannus queried.

“I think that it is a good plan,” Andru smiled,” A better plan than has ever been proposed before. No more grandiose plans to reconquer the lost kingdom of Jerusalem or sweeping the infidels out of the middle east. Which just isn’t practical, or possible.”

Jannus quirked an eyebrow,” I agree. Fighting for a kingdom that can never be, let alone destroying the infidels with our tiny power base is impossible. But this new colonization idea is wonderful. A new nation, far from our enemies will be a boon to all of us. Especially if we can get so well established that any latecomers will have no choice but to recognize our supremacy in the area.”

Andru smothered a yawn of his own,” Majesty, with your permission I would like to retire. I have much to do in the morning and I need my sleep.”

Jannus waved him away,” Do get some sleep, my friend. I can’t have you sleeping during important events, now can I?”

Jannus settled himself in front of the fire and looked deeply into the flames. He could see within them tall ships coursing through the ocean swells with Cypriot flags flying from the masts. Men and women crowded the decks, along with some children, looking off toward an unseen landmass. Eager to start new lives in a new land, free from the fear of invasion by infidels.

Here starts a new AAR, about Cyprus. A normal Grand Campaign with the starting settings at normal/normal and with the latest beta of course. This will be a tale of colonization. Perhaps conquest against natives. I am going to try to stay completely out of European and Middle Eastern affairs. At least as much as I can, anyway. This is a story of a tiny nation trying to escape it’s fate of being only a tiny cog in some other Empire. A tale of colonization, perhaps some limited war. Who knows yet? I haven’t played long enough to know whether I will be dragged into a war by someone else or be DoWed by infidels or greedy Christian nations. There will be two exploits. I shall give myself in a few years an explorer and a conquistador. I figure that since I am going under the aegis of Phoenicians that this is an allowable concession to their ability to explore and so forth.

Last edited:
at it again, Amric? well, good luck. Let Cyprus set the record for the most successful poorest placed colonizer :)

Amric is too dangerous...maybe we should banish him to a distant country and leave the forum empty...

Or maybe not...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And then here comes, from Amric Al'Aeshir "The Hurricane" Productions: Cyprus, A Trail of Hope.

With his incredible love for the sea and needing for colonization, he wants to do what the old phoenicians did: to colonize!

Will the infidel let him complete his task? Will the infidel even let him stay alive? Won't the infidel cut their sealanes? Only time will tell...

Anibal- Wow...I hadn't even thought of that...Amric Al'Aeshir Productions....What a GREAT idea!

MAlexander06- I'm hoping I survive, of course, and triumph until 1820...

Alexandru- I complete my AARs...:D Are you going to get back to work on your Moldavian one?

calcsam2- Yep...This was something I wrote for this WEEKS ago...in fact the first three installments are all written already and I haven't even played yet!

Originally posted by Amric
Anibal- Wow...I hadn't even thought of that...Amric Al'Aeshir Productions....What a GREAT idea!
I have such a big mouth... :D

First it was The Hurricane, and now Amric Al'Aeshir Productions... Amric, when are you going to stop using things I tell you?

:rofl:

Just kidding... you do have the right!

Hmmmm, poorly placed colonizer indeed, you might have to snag Tangeris, maybe Tunis to be prudent.

Ah a new AAR from Amric, great starts. I enjoy the approach and your idea. Looking forward to next update:)

Just wondering, how do you plan on colonizing anything as Cyprus? Or, to be more specific, where do you plan on colonizing? (Just saw you planned on getting an explorer and conquistador)

LordLeto- I plan on getting military access with Castile and Portugal for resupply purposes. I might put a colony on the western coast of Africa for the same reason.

Anibal- When you have a good idea, I just HAVE to take it....:)

Judge- Thanks. Having been reading your TO AAR I decided that I would have to do a more intensive story with more characterization. I blame you!:D

Alexandru- Soon I will post the next update...

Haijji- I plan on the Caribbean as my colonization choice at first...perhaps after planting one on the western coast of Africa as the shortest distance between Africa and South America versus Caribbean to Europe...

The next year flew by with a ship built and put out to for her sea trials. The Cyprus Dream was the first and flagship of the new fleet that would be painstakingly built. A Tax Collector office was built and the entire tax system was overhauled to maximize the taxes collected without overly taxing the poorer citizens of the realm. It was the fair and equitable thing to do, and the nation needed the money to continue to build her fleet and train the army in exploration of new lands.

The State Minister traveled to Castile to speak with the Foreign Minister before going on to Portugal to speak to their Foreign Minister. He was authorized to offer 3 shiploads of salt and copper to the two countries each in the hopes of garnering military access to their ports.

Castile, Spain August 15, 1419

The office of the Foreign Minister of Spain was deep in the bowels of the Ministry Building. A blessing really as the oppressive heat of the summer in Castilla was legendary. This far into the building it was relatively cool, due to the thick walls of the building. Sebastian Hidalgo, a burly man with black hair and blue eyes, shook Karlos’ hand and waved him to a chair across from his desk.

“It is very good of you to see me on such short notice,” Karlos began.

“Not at all,” Sebastian waved away a pesky fly that was flying around his left ear,” It gives me a chance to get away from all this paperwork.”

Karlos had indeed noticed the rather substantial pile of papers stacked precariously on the corner of the desk,” Indeed. I am glad to be of service.”

“So what brings the State Minister of Cyprus all the way to my corner of the world?” Sebastian asked.

“My nation is looking for access to your ports for our ships to resupply on their way down the coast of Africa,” Karlos temporized.

“Ah, I see,” Sebastian frowned,” You wish military access, then?”

Karlos swallowed somewhat nervously,” In essence, yes.”

“Why would Cyprus wish to explore down the coast of Africa?” Sebastian queried politely.

“We are hoping to find our own route to the spices of Asia,” Karlos explained,” The price of spices in Venice and Genoa are prohibitively expensive. Plus we trade in Alexandria for it, but of course it is with infidels. A practice we would like to discontinue.”

“Well,” Sebastian poured some wine for the two of them,” Some wine? Yes? An excellent vintage. To be honest I don’t know if I can authorize such access.”

Karlos sipped the wine appreciatively,” Thank you. It is a very good wine. Why couldn’t you give us such access?”

“Yours is a tiny nation,” Sebastian explained,” A nation that is on the bubble, so to speak.”

“The bubble?” Karlos looked confused,” I don’t understand what you mean.”

“In terms of wine,” Sebastian continued,” You have to be concerned about the bubbles, yes?”

Karlos nodded warily,” I suppose so, yes. But what has that got to do with Cyprus?”

Sebastian sighed,” Let me try this again. Your nation is small and poor. The Kingdom of Jerusalem is no more. You have powerful and inimical neighbors quite near by who would like nothing better than to erase your country from the world map.”

“Ah,” Karlos nodded in comprehension,” You are afraid that if you give us military access and we are annexed that your nation will be made to look foolish.”

Sebastian shrugged fatalistically,” In essence, yes. Why would we give access to a nation that could seek to exist within a years time.”

“I believe I can say with great confidence,” Karlos smiled,” That Cyprus will be around for a long time to come.”

“How can you assure me, and more importantly Castile of such?” Sebastian inquired.

“We are building a navy,” Karlos replied proudly.

“A navy?” Sebastian raised his eyebrows in amusement,” A navy you say? How will that keep your enemies away from you? You can’t possibly build enough ships and raise enough troops to invade the Holy Land!”

“We have no intention of fighting for the holy land,” Karlos shrugged philosophically,” We believe that the battles and wars for it are over. At least for us. We flat out refuse to try to fight over dry, dusty territory that even if we could briefly take we couldn’t possibly hold on to for any real length of time.”

“But it is the holy land!” Sebastian exclaimed.

“If Castile wants to take a crack at it,” Karlos smiled,” You are welcome to try. Cyprus has released all claims to the lands. We have no desire to die for a dream that cannot be realized.”

“But other Christian nations would help you, surely,” Sebastian argued.

“Oh? Really? How acrimonious were so many of the crusades?” Karlos grimaced,” The infighting was almost enough to doom most of them right from the beginning. You are aware of the histories of the crusades. It wasn’t pretty. Our forefathers fought for the Kingdom of Jerusalem and tried to defend it. Nearly to the last man, woman, and child. Never again. It nearly destroyed our nation.”

Sebastian looked thoughtful,” You may have a point. Not fighting for the holy land would probably keep the infidel from wanting to cross the Mediterranean to attack you if you have no intention of pressing your claims on the holy land.”

“Indeed, we are in the process of sending ambassadors to the Mamelukes, Karaman, and the Ottomans to let them know that we have no interest in the holy land,” Karlos replied,” We feel that this will lesson tensions between our nations and keep us free of their grasp.”

“It probably will,” Sebastian agreed,” But I still don’t know if I can authorize access for your nation…”

Karlos interrupted,” How about I offer a little something to sweeten the deal?”

“You are offering me a bribe?” Sebastian asked in a dangerous tone of voice,” I am a government official. Such is forbidden!”

“Lord no,” Karlos shuddered,” Nothing so gauche! I offer something that would be for the betterment of Castile!”

Sebastian settled back into his chair,” Such as?”

“With the recent troubles with Granada that you have been experiencing my government felt that we would be pleased to help you,” Karlos began.

“With troops?” Sebastian guffawed.

“Certainly not!” Karlos replied,” With supplies. A shipload of salt and another of copper.”

“Ah,” Sebastian nodded,” That would indeed be helpful.”

“So that would help you speed along our military access?” Karlos queried.

“It will help, but I cannot promise you anything,” Sebastian admitted,” Something like this will require the approval of the government.”

“I understand,” Karlos replied,” When might I expect a reply?”

“It will take a few months,” Sebastian admitted.

“Very well,” Karlos shook the man’s hand,” I will return in three months time. I believe I will take a leisurely trip through the countryside for a while and enjoy your beautiful country.”

“That might be best,” Sebastian agreed.

“I will see you in three months time, then,” Karlos bowed and left the office, relatively pleased with his mission so far.

Lisbon, Portugal September 28, 1419

The office of the Portuguese Foreign Minister in the Foreign Ministry Building near by to the palace of Joao I. The top floor of the building was completely reserved for the Foreign Minister himself. The office of the minister himself was large, but rather spare. The minister, Antonio was a thin man with dark wavy hair and dark brown eyes. Shaking hands the minister waves Karlos to a seat and offers him a drink.

“What can I do for you?” he asked.

“Well my nation would like to have access to your ports,” Karlos replied.

“Your merchants are always welcome in Portugal,” Antonio chuckled,” You came all the way here to ask the obvious?”

“No, I meant military access,” Karlos explained.

“Whatever for?” Antonio asked,” You don’t even have a navy!”

“We’re building one,” Karlos replied patiently.

“Wouldn’t you be using it to ferry troops to the mainland to retake the holy land?”

“Not a chance,” Karlos snapped,” We have given up our claims on the holy land. The infidels are welcome to the desert.”

”But it is the birthplace of Christ!”

“Portugal is welcome to it,” Karlos shrugged,” if you want it. We wash our hands of it. Our people have bled and died for generations trying to hold onto a land that didn’t love us. Enough of that, we have no intention of trying to retake a land that will bleed us completely white and destroy what little is left of our nobility and our commoners.”

“Sensible, if somewhat overtly practical,” Antonio groused,’ But how do you expect the infidel to leave you alone?”

“We have sent ambassadors to them to let them know that we will never press our claims to the holy land,” Karlos replied gently,” We believe that they will have no interest in attacking us if we have no reason to attack them.”

“Indeed,” Antonio agreed,” Well even so I am not sure I can help you directly. We have never given any nation military access before now.”

“Somehow I am not surprised,” Karlos muttered.

“Pardon me?”

“Thinking out loud,” Karlos hurriedly covered his slip up,” What if I were to offer your nation something you might find of more interest?”

“Such as?” Antonio prompted.

“Such as a shipload of salt and another of copper,” Karlos replied.

Antonio considered briefly,” Make it two of each an I will expedite it immediately.”

“How immediately?”

“Say a month?” Antonio replied.

“Very good. I will return in a month then,” Karlos stood up,” It was nice doing business with you.”

“And you, State Minister,” Antonio showed Karlos to the door.

By the start of the year both Portugal and Castile had granted Cyprus military access to their nations. The way was now a bit smoother for the beginning of the exploration of the Atlantic Ocean. Even if Castile was under the impression that Cyprus was going to explore the African coastline.

This looks like a real mouse-that-roared challenge! Coming up with the money for serious colonising, not to mention holding off the Turks, Mamlukes & Venetians sounds like a real challenge.

Are you planning to go Orthodox in the near future to avoid the ToT?

Good luck, and may your explorers avoid storms.

merrick- No, in fact I plan on converting the populace to Catholic if I can get away with it. If I can get the first colony up to speed and fortified I'll leave a couple thousand men there and that will keep the Spaniards off me and the Portuguese as well...I hope.

Really like this Amric, great start, but I guess this will be a tough challenge for you:)

Judge- Tough challenge? Could be, but I'll actually have to play some to know for sure. It will be a challenge to write as I am going to do more characterization and there won't be wars or megalomania to portray....:D

Colonizing can be very tough on the finances, especially for so small a kingdom as Cyprus. I'm guessing that you will probably lose at least six ships in the first journey over the atlantic, considering the poor quality of early tech ships.. and warships are certainly not cheap.

I like the writing though, nice start.

Machiavellian- Thanks....yeah, it will be pricey...but I plan on working on trading to try and increase my currency so that I have more money to work with. If I am lucky by 1500 I might get a couple of colonies going...or not....I haven't decided on the loan or not to loan issue yet....

I had to edit the very first post to reflect the genuis of Anibal who had such a good idea I had to incorporate it at the very start of the story. Again, thank you Celso....I love it when the readers give me such GREAT ideas!

Last edited:
King Jannus celebrated the military access agreements that Karlos had brought back by holding a fete in his honor. The small palace rang out with the laughter of small children and the happy smiles of the parents. Hope had indeed returned to the higher ranking members of the nobility, merchant classes, as well as the small army and navy.

The dinner was staged in the formal dining room. The walls were lovingly painted with murals of different scenes. Such as the one wall behind Jannus which had a faithful reproduction of ancient Troy, even down to the infamous Horse beyond the walls waiting for the foolishly trusting people of Troy to bring it inside. The wall to the left had an image of ancient Athens, with the Parthenon on the hill, as well as the temples of the various Gods. The wall to the right had ancient Rome as its focus with the Forum and the Coliseum dominating. The far wall had ancient Carthage with the infamous temple of Ba’al along with its famous harbor. The ceiling had an ancient map painted on it showing the presumed sites of Phoenicia and all the colonies that had been founded.

The table was of truly ancient yew wood, stained with a light stain and polished to a gleaming sheen. The legs of the table were carved with nymphs, sylphs, centaurs, Titans, bulls, Minotaurs, sirens, and satyrs. The chairs were also of yew and were intricately carved with the same style as the table. Oil lamps were spaced along the walls, made of ornate brass, covered in gold. The two candelabra were also of ornate brass, covered with gold and crystal. The floor was of polished marble, depicting the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

The dinner was a multi course meal, starting with humus me tahini, a chickpea salad native to Cyprus itself. Which was followed by psarosoupa me avgholemono, a savory fish soup with egg and lemon sauce. After that was smaris, a small fish fried in olive oil. Then, bakalarios kroketakia, cod croquets also fried in olive oil. Dolmathakia, which was grapevine leaves stuffed with rice and minced boar, feta cheese along with various spices. Roasted lamb with mint was the heaviest main course. After that ischaides, or figs with carmelized honey was served. The last course, a dessert, was bourekakia apo kima, a pastry.

The entire dinner party toasted Karlos with ouzo before retiring to enjoy a new play specially written to celebrate the success of the State Minister’s mission and the overall hope of the Cypriot nation. It was styled like the ancient comedies, and had most of the audience wiping tears from their eyes. All in all it had been a most successful evening and one of the most enjoyable for the king and his advisors and nobles of the tiny realm.

In fact it was the most fun Jannus had since the meeting last year. Running the island nation wasn’t exactly taxing his active brain. His grandiose plans and dreams had the royal architects scrambling to come up with actual drawings to reflect his growing passions. An ambitious roadway project that would tie the various cities and towns of the nation together, rather than the goat tracks and dirt roads that currently connected the kingdom in a ramshackle manner.

The first grand bridge over the Pedieos River was nearly complete. An impressive stone structure that was wide enough to allow three oxen driven carts side by side to cross it in unison, it had taken the entire corps of engineers, along with countless master masons to construct. The teamwork between them and the stone masons who had cut the stone from the quarries had been most impressive. The road from Nicosia to that very bridge was also nearly complete. Using the techniques of the ancient Romans, along with the need for speedy construction, the road was made of concrete. It was also as wide as the bridge, it would have important way stations along it from Nicosia to Famagusta and the other major cities and towns.

A network of messengers would be able to keep the government informed of the doings of the kingdom in a timely manner and orders from the King and his councilors could be sent to the appropriate place in the fastest manner possible, which is by a series of horsemen who would hand off the dispatches to the next rider until it reached its destination. Jannus, and the rest of the council had agreed that it would be so very handy that the way stations were being built even though the roadways hadn’t been built in so many of the areas yet.

Trees from the newly cleared areas were being used first in the great building projects, while others were being replaced with 10 seedlings for each tree cut down. The Interior Minister had decreed that unless replanting was done the entire island would be denuded of trees within 20 years and then all the lumber needs of the nation would be at the mercy of outsiders. This would not be allowed to happen.

His latest report showed that production of foodstuffs would increase dramatically to the point that in 1425 nearly seventy percent of what was being grown would have to be sold in centers of trade throughout the Mediterranean or it would rot away in storehouses. Wine production would take until 1430 to reach those levels. Olive oil production had increased and continued to do so that it would have to be exported to Tago and Alexandria, as well as Genoa and Venice to rid the island of the excess. Salt exports were expected to rise to unheard of levels as the demand in Iberia and the infidels had risen with the increasing supply. Copper mining was also becoming more efficient as a new strike had allowed for easier access to the veins of ore. All in all the nation was beginning to truly work its way out of the doldrums, and slowly, ever so slowly, becoming an economic powerhouse with merchant companies in Alexandria, Genoa, Venice, Tago, and even Mascate.

So far the amount of ducats flowing from the various companies was small, but projected to rise to quite respectable levels. The new harbor in Famagusta was shaping up nicely and what had already been built was being heavily used by the new merchant fleets of various other nations. Cyprus was becoming almost the most important port of call for merchant captains plying the eastern Mediterranean. So much so that the State Minister implemented a Customs Service which ensured that the various taxes were being paid by the merchant captains putting into port. Even with the new taxes, the trade levels on the island continued to increase.

The ambassadors to the Mamelukes reported that the Cypriot initiative to release her claim to the holy lands had been very well received. So much so that relations between the two nations had been on a plateau, instead of steadily worsening, which had been expected in most of the European realms. Trade between the two realms continued to increase, with salt and olive oil being the main exports from Cyprus to Alexandria, along with honey and mead. Since muslims couldn’t drink anything from grapes, mead was a new and increasingly popular substitute.

Relations between Cyprus and Karaman had also improved with the release of the claims on the mainland. They agreed to allow some historians to enter their territories to seek out the ancient site of Troy. It was a singular success and the historians were ecstatic that they would be the ones to find the lost city. They were hopeful that excavations could commence as soon as 1423. The Karaman government had been very pleased with the gifting of salt and honey that had arrived prior to the request. The historians of Nicosia University were already arguing over what tools and maps to take on their trip, as well as where the exact location ancient Troy existed.

The Ottoman Turks were also pleased with the relinquishment of claims on the mainland and lowered tariffs through the Dardanelles for Cypriot shipping. It was a gesture that was well appreciated. The Byzantines were not happy, but since they were barely alive it was felt that there was no reason to humor them. Their dreams of reconquering their lost empire were just that, dreams, a delusion if you will. Something that was not going to happen, except in the fevered minds of fantasy authors of future centuries. In fact, their grip on Cyprus itself had been a thing of the past since Richard I had conquered it in 1191, and been in the Lusignan family since 1192. A fact that wasn’t going to change no matter what the Byzantines wished.

In fact, at great cost, the merchants in Alexandria had managed to purchase sugar cane seedlings that had been lovingly brought all the way from South East Asia. Fields were being cleared to plant them and the plan was to nurture them into a new cash crop for the nation. Quite a few of the seedlings were placed in a special nursery to help promote their growth and to be able to garner new shoots to accelerate the process of planting.

Rice also had been brought into the country and was being cultured as another crop to be used as a staple as well as something to sell on the various world markets. It was believed that diversifying the offerings of Cyprus would help to increase the revenues generated in trade. Rice had already become a part of the nations diet and having it grown on the island would make it a cheaper staple in Cypriot households, much as grain, wine, and olive oil.

The heir’s birthday was on May 16th, and he would be two years old. A strong, hearty child who was always getting into just about everything he could get his hands on. It took the efforts of two full time day nannies and a single one at night to keep him out of trouble. His dark wavy hair had a lock that would always manage to find its way over his left eye. His green eyes, an inheritance from his mother’s side of the family, were unusual enough on the island, but it was considered good luck to have green eyes. He was expected to continue the good works that his father was starting. A lot was expected of young Jean, and his boundless energy seemed to be a good sign that he just might be up to the task at hand.

His sister, Anne, born the year before, was a raven haired beauty with soulful blue eyes, even as a small infant. It was expected that she just might be a good dynastic match once she reached her majority. Jannus had very high hopes in that regard, as did her mother Charlotte de Bourbon. Not as a possibility to lose Cyprus to another country, but to a strong nation that would be well suited as a protector against possible infidel incursions, but also in the territories that were soon to be discovered, explored, and colonized.

Surprisingly enough, Jean seemed not to be jealous of his younger sister. In fact, he seemed determined to include her in as many of his escapades as possible. It was driving the nannies and Charlotte to near distraction. Jannus merely laughed and advised them to keep a close on the children, but to let them explore the limits of their boundaries without allowing them to cross it into dangerous territory. Even when Jean managed to pull down a painting of his paternal great grandfather and deface it with his paints, giving the venerable old man a royal purple mustachio, Jannus only gently swatted his son and ordered it to be repaired. The nannies were ordered to keep a closer watch on him and his sister. She had been helpful in holding one of the paint brushes that her brother had been using to such great effect.

Charlotte did demand that Jannus not give their son a wooden toy sword for his birthday. She was concerned that the lad might hit his sister with it. Jannus didn’t believe that the boy would hit his sister, but when he was a boy he did have a habit of hitting his own family members with his own toy sword so he could understand his dear wife’s concern. He gave in to her wishes, instead giving him a new paint set along with plenty of parchment to create his childish works of art.

With the new revenues being generated Charlotte had ordered an expansion of the palace. Nothing truly huge, just a new wing to be built onto the existing building. With the family expanding she decided that it would be prudent to make the palace a little bit more grand. It would also help promote the fact that Cyprus was not a backwater, but an up and coming nation that had a lot of things going for it. A new ballroom, along with a larger formal dining hall would be part of the expansion. She also had a lot of plans for the new formal gardens that were being planted. Jannus actually took a hand in those proceedings and suggested that a hedge maze, loosely based on the maze of the minotaur, might be a fine addition to the gardens. Charlotte agreed, but decreed that they would have to be on the back of the property, far enough away from the upper stories of the palace that people couldn’t get a measure of the layout just by being above it. Jannus agreed with her conditions and personally drew up the plans for the maze. The gardeners were impressed and promised that within five years the maze would be completed and ready to be walked through.

The maze would have a fine gazebo in the center, raised above a deep pool of water filled with ornamental fish. A bridge would be used to access the gazebo. A stream fed through the maze to the pool and then drained back out of it as well. It kept the pool from becoming stagnant, and allowed small ornamental bridges to be placed across the stream at various locations throughout the maze. Six fountains would be placed in dead end locations, fed by that same stream system. Benches would be placed in various places for those journeying through the maze to rest while they tried to reach the center. Two different entrances to the maze were planned, with each having a different path to the center. One from the east, and the other from the west. The entrance to the east had stone statues of Centaurs, while the western entrance had stone statues of Griffons. The central pool had four dolphin statues that spouted water in the general direction of the gazebo. It would help keep the area cool during the heat of the summer.

With the trials of the Cyprus Dream going so well and the second ship nearing completion, it was felt that the expansion of the navy would have to accelerate. The Cyprus Hope would only be the second ship of the war fleet. There would have to be more, and quicker if the nation would have any hope of reaching the lands of the west. It might very well be that the Portuguese and Castilians might soon discover them. Granted, it was only believed that such lands existed, but records of the past certainly suggested that such just might be the case. It was important to reach them first and claim them for Cyprus, plus getting loads of colonists to them before other nations did it first.

Admiral Diogenes had already taken the Cyprus Dream to both Andalusia and Tago, showing the flag to those far off ports. It helped to prove that Cyprus did indeed have a naval presence. There was no need to let them know that it was the only warship in the fleet, so far. Diogenes demanded that the shipbuilding facility in Famagusta be given higher priority so that the fleet could be built at a faster pace. One ship a year just wasn’t going to get the job done soon enough. He felt he would die before enough ships were built for him to attempt a crossing of the Atlantic Ocean.

Jean’s birthday party was well attended by the nobility of the realm, as well as the advisors and well to do merchant families. He had asked for his favorite meat pie to be served, a lamb dish that was quite popular. Even at his tender age, he managed to stuff three of them down before his parents could pry him away to have his presents given to him. His parents presented him with his very own hound, newly weaned from its mother. Jean immediately decided to name his new hound, dog. Which wasn’t all that original, but the boy was well pleased with his new pet and solemnly promised to take care of him. It was a promise, that even at the tender age of two, he remembered and kept for as long as the hound lived.

Wooden toy soldiers, painted in the style of the Cypriot army, as well as other nations, was his next favorite gifts. He received many other gifts, but there is little point in reciting such a lengthy list of toys. What would be the point of that? It would only go to prove that the royal and wealthy received far more than the commons of the time. Besides, between playing with his toys and feeding tidbits to his new pet, Jean was soon exhausted from the excitement of the day and retired for the evening while the adults continued to celebrate the date of his birth.

Anne had already gone to bed an hour earlier. Jean slept with his arm over Dog who was curled up next to the young heir. A toy soldier painted with the colors of Cyprus and looking like a general was clutched in his other fist. Anne slept in her own room, clutching her favorite doll in her arms while she dreamed her own sweet dreams. The night nannies periodically checked on the children to ensure that they slept peacefully. They took their responsibilities seriously and they were well aware that they were lucky to serve the royal family. It was a very serious position of trust, the ultimate trust of caring for the royal children.

Jannus was 46 years old. Late middle age, and his children were a joy to him. He had been concerned that he would have no heir to continue the work of keeping Cyprus safe, let alone providing a new homeland for his people. He knew that no matter what they did in Cyprus, their position was really untenable. There was no realistic way to fight off a real determined invader. A mighty nation could send in more soldiers than the entire island nation’s population. Even a strong navy was no guarantee of protection. The Mediterranean was a large sea and the approaches to the island were many. There was always a chance that the navy would miss an invasion fleet on the way to the island.

He truly believed that the best way to protect and serve his people was to find new lands to colonize. Even with the increased production of food, it would take generations before the population of Cyprus would be large enough to support a truly decent sized army. So long that it would be impossible to ever regain the lost Kingdoms of Jerusalem and Armenia. Which is one of the reasons that the rightful claims to those areas had been renounced. It made the possibility of Cyprus surviving better in the long term. Besides, it had been a foregone conclusion that with the majority of the Greek/Phoenician population that colonizing would be the best opportunity to preserve the culture and the people of Cyprus.