• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jul 6, 2001
Actions and Announcements thread

Welcome to the Actions and Announcements thread. This is where everything else happens that doesn't happen inside the Snem (= Parliament). If you post a message here, then do so in-character. All questions and other OOC should be posted in the OOC thread. For information also check the OOC thread. For the Rules of the game click here, but also please read the first 3 pages of the OOC thread. :)

If you are posting an announcement, then I recomend you write out "Announcement" with a somewhat larger font, so that everyone could see it. Announcements are like "1000 soldiers seeking employement" or "Seeking 1000 soldiers for employement" or "Daughter (age 16) available for marriage". :) When you're writing something else, then it would be nice to write down your location, but not the date (because emergency sessions can turn up at any moment, and it might happen you've wrote a date that has not happenned yet). It would also be nice to write in a way so that everyone would understand which of your characters is speaking or acting.

Last edited:
In Prague

General Petr Kovar chomped into his apple. He stared worriedly at the core, as if something dreadful were in it. His feet rested on his end table. The General uttered a great sigh of comfort and stared at the ceiling.

It had been years since the Polish wars. He had heard of the adventure to be had in Poland, and hurried to Krakow. The only reason they hired him was because of his military training in Berlin. They soon were happy they hired him.

At the famous battle of Vilnius, Kovar found himself attacked by a massive enemy army, many times the size of his own. He employed his troops so well that they were worth ten of the enemy...he had won. It took quite a bit of maneuvering, but he won. He believed that maneuvers were more important than combat.

But now he was in a time of peace. The glory of war reduced to the dull drill of endless practice. He was well-off, yes, and still got his pay, but life was not very interesting. He thought, as he reflected on his boredom, If only there were a war...

Rumours
Our beloved king, Vladislas II has arrived to the capital, and will be addressing the Snem in just a few hours. He was visiting our noble ally, Austria, and a few of the servants are whispering that a war against Geldre is just around the corner, while there is no doubt our ally will seek our help.

On the other hand, king Vladislas II has to convince the nobles of Hungary to join our alliance. Friedrich V of Austria believes this will help him win the war without casualties. The alliance now consists of Bohemia, Austria, Kleves and Cologne.

In Prague, near the Royal Castle

Members of the Vrana family have arrived to the capital on horses. They are followed by ten guards and ten servants.
"Can we buy some apples, Jakub?", Martin asked excited as a schoolboy.
"Hey, we had apples back home and you didn't want any!", said Jakub, Martin's brother who had the right to vote.
"But these apples are different!"
"No they aren't!"
"Yes they are!"
"OK, wait a minute", said Jakub and he ordered one of the servants to approach the merchant selling the apples.

Martin observed as the merchant told his price, and then saw the servant barganing with him. After almost five minutes, he finaly bought three apples.
"Here, but do finish them before the king arrives!", said Jakub, "I don't want us to look like pigs"

They reached the stairs of the castle, when Jakub whispered to his brother: "I hope I'll find a general here that will take you under his command"

Near Prague

*Vaclav is riding on horseback*
"I see the city"said vaclav to the servant who was ridding right beside him

"Yes.. Its a magnificent place"said the servant

"Have you heard of the rumours dear servant?"

"Yes",said the servant, while slightly lowering hes voice,"I fear the worst"

*So Vaclav rides into Prague followed by hes most trusted servant ,knowing that all hell might break loose, if there is a war, when the people have already started to forget the last one *

The leading member of the Slavnikovci family and his sister have arrived in Prague. Rumors hint that they are searching around for soldiers and even mercenaries to recruit into their retinue as they await the arrival of their king.

Furthermore, some local gossip mongers of Prague report that Viktor seemed quite upset about an apparent slight against his sister coming from one of the minor nobles of Silezia. Those same rumor mongers report that he was talking with the mongol leader of a group of tartar mercenaries, but what they spoke of is still unclear.

Announcement

The beautiful noblewoman, Ivana Slavnikovci, is seeking marriage with influencial suitors of high noble blood. Speak with Viktor Slavnikovci for more information.

Prague

The Bishop of Prague spent the morning in the cathedral in the center of town. After saying services for the nobles of the town, the Bishop retired to his office to entertain petitioners.

As he entered his office, he motioned to his aide.

"Jakub, I saw that the head of the Slavnikovci party was in attendence in morning services with a marriagable young lady. Please ask Viktor to come see me so that I might advice him on an advantageous union."

The Biship entered his luxurious office. He motioned to another aide to pour him a glass of a fine French wine that a wealthy patron had donated to the Church a few years ago.

He slowly sipped his wine and waited to his guests...

Announcement
Jakub Vrana is looking for a skilled general who will train his brother, Martin, to become a general himself. Willing to pay 1 ducat per month for such service.

The Cathedral of Prague

Several hours after the Bishops aide had spoken with a representitive of the Slavnikovci family, an appointment of sorts was made for Viktor to meet with the Bishop. A knock came at the Bishops door and the aide said that Count Viktor Slavnikovci had arrived.

"Jakub, show Viktor in, I do not wish him to wait long." The Bishop of Prague instructed his aide, as he lazily sipped on the fine french wine, merely savouring the taste and not truly drinking much.

Within moments, the head of the Slavnikovci family entered the inviting office of the Bishop. With fluid grace, the young lord took a seat before the Bishop, instructing his guards to wait outside. His clothing seemed of native style, though elaborate and made of the finest materials. Offering a smile to the Bishop he spoke.

"I am honored to speak with you, though somewhat curious as to what you wished to address. As you know the Snem shall be open soon and much buisness must be conducted, but I always have time for the lord almighty and his servants on earth."

For the Kings Eyes only - A letter.

My beloved King,

While I am loathe to do this, I feel it necessary to bring this recent unseemly state of affairs to your attention. My family has long been a supporter of your rule, yet now we find ourselves slighted and wish for some justice. Recently the lords of the Corfun family of Silezia, a minor upstart house, has insulted the integrity and good character of my honorble sister, Ivana Slavnikovci. This horredous insult can not be ignored, but rather than take matters into our own hands and destabalize the realm, we wish for you to settle this matter.

The House of Slavnikovci wishes the southern silezian lands of the Corfun's stripped and given to the respected Slavnikovci family. Furthermore, to demenstrate her good intentions and desire to further stabalize the Kingdom of Bohemia, my virtuous sister offers to enter into marriage with a royal family of a foriegn power of you, our good kings choosing, to bring such a state into closer Kinship with Bohemia.

Sincerely,
Your faithful servant
Count Viktor Slavnikovci

The Cathedral of Prague

"I am honored to speak with you, though somewhat curious as to what you wished to address. As you know the Snem shall be open soon and much buisness must be conducted, but I always have time for the lord almighty and his servants on earth."

"Viktor, I know of your problems with His Majesty. My sources tell me that the reputation of your family and of your lovely sister has been besmirched. I have some little influence in arranging these things. Perhaps the power of the Church may be willing to assist you in this affair?"

The Cathedral of Prague

A knock was heard on the door.
"Go away, we're busy", shouted the Bishop.
"A letter from his Majesty the king", the servant answered from the other side. The Bishop let him in and read the letter.

"My honorable Vaclav, we are terribly sorry to bother you when you are most presumably busy with healing the souls of our loyal servants, but we request your advice on a difficult issue considering an arguement between two nobles. Please honor us with your audience tomorrow during lunch.

King Vladislas II"

Jan Polak's mother Anna and sister, Ludmila had arrived in the capital.

Rumors had been flying around the city that Anna was starting to get concerned that her son Jan is still unmarried at the age of 23 and she had decided to take things into her own hands. With most of the great nobles arriving for the opening session of the Snem, it seemed that Anna had taken the opportunity to come to the capital to seek possible matches for both her son and her unmarried daughter, the lovely Ludmila, age 18.

Announcement

Anna seeks possible brides for Jan and suitors for Ludmila. Interested parties to approach Anna.

"Easy with the cargo, boys! We don't want the streets to be paved with Moravian wine!"
Moshe Zalmanovich leapt hastily from his carriage. "Quick! Quick! I'm missing the king's speech!"
He walked as fast as he could towards the Snem entrance.
"Shalom Aleichem", he greeted the guards, "God save the King and Bohemia."
He entered right when the Bishop had finished his prayer, and took a seat by a retired military man.

Jan Pirna rides his horse to Prague, and is trying to find some way to pay the next part of his debts.

Especially the rumor about war against Geldre interests him.

Jan Barta impatiently waited outside his adopted grandfather's (see my character info) door. He was impatient for this man to die, so he could finally have a seat in the Snem. Jan knocked. Hearing no response, he enter. The old man was clearly on his last legs. He croaked, "Jan my grandson, I am soon gone. Hurry away, and let not Støedoèeský be plundered by scheming Moravians. Go!". The old man collapsed, and was dead. As Jan sent the servant in attendance to notify the church, he rushed out to his horse. It was a day's journey to Prague on foot, but he should be able to make it in a few hourse on horseback. Before leaving, he send orders to hire the Tartar mercenaries camped in the country. Perhaps 500 only were loyal to their paymasters of the whole lot, but he would need impressive protection. On the way, he thought about what the old man had said. Scheming Moravians, or just babble from a dying man? He would find out.

Well-dressed pages in the employ of Pavel Kladivo delivered letters to the Slavnikovci and Polak households, requesting the permission of the leaders of those families to meet and discuss the possibility of a union between the available young lady and one of his sons.

Last edited:
"A-ha!" exclaimed General Kovar. "Work!"

He read the poster again. "Work! One ducat a month isn't half bad; enough to buy some extra food every month, save them away, or to take a vacation back to Berlin for a while."

He now wondered where he could find Jakub Vrana. Perhaps he was in this very market...no, Prague is a large place.

"Excuse me sir," this to the butcher, "do you know where I can find Jakub Vrana?"

The butcher looked puzzled and shrugged. "No clue."

And General Kovar went home to ask his gardener, who knew everything about everyone.

In Prague

Martin Slezak happened to pass a poster epousing some work about teaching the art of war to some noble's son. He dismissed it as soon as he thought of it.

"To Teach! I am not a school teacher!"

A passerby looked at him curiously.

Besides, he had more important things. The Snem were discussing sheer silliness. A war against Gelre! He thought, The logistics alone are impossible to manage! If we were to go to war, it would be with a disinterested eye, not with what the other members seemed to be saying.

The Cathedral of Prague

Earlier in the day, before the start of the Snem.

Viktor leaned forward to speak earnestly with the Bishop. He quickly briefed him of what he had written to the King of Bohemia and Hungary, before continuing.

"This is not the first such slight from these nobles. As you well know, my good family has recieved many the harsh blows in the recent years, especially during that fell time when the rebels had power. But you, more than anyone know the honest character of our family. My brother himself is away in Rome learning the ways of the priesthood. But, as I was saying.. this is not the first slight, but I allowed the others to go unnoticed as they were against me. But, the lord almighty as my witness, I will not allow such blasphemies as they spoke against my sister to go unanswered."

Viktor was now visibly angry, his face flushing red, as he sought to control himself.

"if you could help in this matter, I would of course be appreciative. I do not want to resort to force, but if necessary.. well I am sure you understand."