• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TreizeV

Colonel
5 Badges
Oct 15, 2002
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Hey this is my first AAR, and i decided to play it as britain in the age of revolutions. Normal difficulty setting :p though at first i decided to do a history style, i think a novel style would be much more interesting :D

Starting year: 1773
Land Tech : 43
Naval : 36
Trade (Pre industrial) : 10
Infra (pre Industrial) : 10

I dedicate this AAR to Bernard Cornwall, author of my favourite series and the reason why i chose to write this AAR in this fashion ;)

June 1st, 1773 (prologue)

britflag.jpg

dhm_510_small.jpg

It was dawn on the American border. A light mist resided over the marshes of the great lakes, while the songs of birds filled the air. Then it happened... At first, it sounded like a small ripple, and the inhabitants of the marshes gazed northwards at the mysterious noise emitting out of the mist.

It was an Army.

The sound of 40,000 men soon filled the air, as the soldiers, their wives, children, barbers, doctors, merchants and commanders, marched south to face the fledgling army of a nation that dared defy Britain. The redcoats were marching to America.

The men were eager. Confident. Confident in the fact that they were the toughest army on God's green earth, and second to none. They had beat The Austrians,The French,The Spaniards,The Indians,The Dutch and many more. And now it seemed they would add A pile of American standards to that list. Though many soldiers knew they were fighting for their country, many others were more interested in the prospect of loot instead, despite orders that the american were their breathern. "Bugger them! Those yanks!" Was the general term used in the army. For no love was lost between the many exiles who fled england centuries ago and the home country. The rebellion would be crushed! Many sang as they marched. General Amherst didn't see the occaison to sing. indeed, he wasn't very delighted with the fact that there had to be a campaign at all. "Damned Howe! Goddamn that man! Had he the sense to finish off those farm boys with pitchforks in boston, this whole revolt would have been put down right there!" Though Major-General Lord Amherst himself was an Aristocrat, he had a healthy hate of nobles who thought they had a grasp of their profession but instead were incompetent fools using the army as a plaything. That was what happened at bunker hill, as Howe had decimated almost three regiments in his suicidal charges up a fortified hill. Goddamn that man. He thought. Yet because of birth, howe outranked Amherst and there was nothing to do but live with him until the job was done.

A man rode up to the head of the column with the general. A Slim Colonel, yet his battle-scarred face had shown that he fought his fair share of battles. "Compliments from his honour, Lord William Howe sir, and that we are to meet him in manhattan."

"Manhattan? Isn't the General busy scampering off in Newfoundland?" Colonel Thomas Devlin cleared his throat, for he seemed to have caught a cold this morning "Sir William Howe, Milord, has already begun to siege Manhattan with the fleet. He says he expects us to make it there by the 30th." The thirtieth! By god! It would take at least another month before he could clear the north of the american forces to reach him, besides, the fool howe doesn't realize that the real target of this war should be the american army.

Prior to the invasion, the american's main army was last reported in Delaware. While they spread their forces out over the border. intending to gather them and surround any british force. Lord Amherst saw this and had ordered an invasion on the American right, knowing that the American's would have had no time to concentrate. And he was right, over the past two weeks in Bangor and Penobscot, he had caught 10,000 american's by suprise before they could concentrate. And destroyed them piecemeal. While on the other hand, he sent 8,000 redcoats to Erie to hold the americans there.

But perhaps Howe wasn't as imcompetent as Amherst thought, if he had truly succeeded in capturing Manhattan, then they would have isolated the American army in Connecticut. It was still too early to tell, but the stars were looking good for Britain. The americans had their own fool in Gates, to whom they have entrusted most of their soldiers. And this same fool, was leading them into the forests of the iroquois confederacy, while the british take the real prizes of the colonies, the cities. It was too early to tell, but Amherst was beginning to develop a sense of optimism in this campaign. But Goddamn, they will still need reinforcements from England

"Mister Devlin, My compliments to Sir william Howe, and I am to rendezvous with him in 40 days." The Colonel saluted and turned back to deliver the message to an envoy. Over the Mist was an american army. An army trapped and about to be annihilated.

Life was good.

AmericanCampaign1773.jpg

(american campaign opens!)
--------------------------------------------------

June 8, 1773

Ulster, Ireland

The cities of Ireland had not changed much since the invasion of Cromwell over a century ago. The countryside was continually dotted by farms, and the cities themselves, though dark and dirty, were large and proud. The vast battlefields of Ireland, which were once filled with blood, now resembled a peaceful countryside from england, or anywhere else in Europe. Indeed, Ireland itself was a small Island, and didn't seem much different. yet the people were proud, proud of their ancestors, and proud of being Irish. Despite the so called Union with england.
The English government recently took its task to strengthen their grip in Ireland, Establishing buildings from Governors in almost every province. Ulster was one of these.

"Its Impossible! Surely Lord North Would not approve!!" Sir John Higham was shocked at that notion. "It was Lord William Pitt the Younger's request Ill remind you" A dashy Lieutenant Colonel reminded the small, yet lavishly dressed government official. "But its madness! Sheer madness!" The conversation was ubruptly stopped as a young aide announced the arrival of an officer "Presenting, Ensign Sheaffe of his majesty's 39th." The young man was tall, and had the muscles to complement it. Though he seemed pretty young for an Ensign. "Ah that is our man! Ensign Sheafe, as you know, is from the 39th, of India, served under Clive himself at Plassey! Don't be shy young man sit down!"

Sheaffe did not know what his purpose was, the 39th was still in India, winning loot and glory, while he was called back. Though his name of Sheaffe, he was English, he didn not know why, though sheaffe was a scottish name. He served in a ranks once, and it was a great accomplishment in the british army to be even promoted to sargeant. Yet, his skills have taken him far in India, capturing bengal for Britain. And with the lack of officers in the 39th, he was promoted to an ensign! Yet it was more of a burden than a reward. As his salary was still meager. Yet there was something about this offer he could refuse. Something tempting. And he was about to find out why he was called back to england.

"Excuse me for my behaviour Ensign, i have yet to introduce myself. I am Lieutenant Colonel Jameson of the 22nd Chershire! Ever heard of them Ensign?" Sheaffe Returned the greeting "Yes sir, i believe they were part of French and Indian war sir." "Quite right chap, quite right!" The Colonel was obvious a cheerful person, yet it was time for business.

"I am aware you are one of the few people to be promoted to an ensign, and now I will make it your even more rewardable. You heard of the army of scotland?" Sheaffe remembered reading about it on his journey from london "You mean the army of scots and irish?" "Quite right! And we are going to send them over to America!" Sheaffe had no clue why this was his business, America seemed far away, like India, though he had heard about the revolution. Indeed, he was sympathetic, who would want to serve their temporarily insane king. But duty was duty "My first act, ensign, is to promote you to Lieutenant, you are to work with the Army of scotland and fight in America under Lord William Howe. I know this is odd having an army of only irish and scots, but william Pitt thought it best, and it was his last request before he resigned. so here we are!"

Sheaffe was horrified "Its sheer madness!" John Higham took this time to speak. "You don't bloody give scotch and irish their own regiments! Unheard of! Goes against his everything we stand for" The lieutenant displayed a fine patience to the man though, and sheaffe like him "Are we not united milord? besides we got bigger fish to fry, in america, im sure we can put aside our differences. Especially with an experienced man like Sheaffe working with them!" Jameson turned to Sheaffe "You will leave first thing tomorrow Morning, i have arranaged transport for you. You will be briefed when you get to your regiment. Good luck Lieutenant"

Sheaffe could not believe it... A lieutenant! at the age of 19! Yet he had work to do. He was going to America.

Last edited:
Well, I like your writing and the age of revolutions is certainly a good choice (actually, I don't remember ever seeing an AAR with this scenario). Good luck!

Nice AAR. I like the way it is going so far and I think selecting the Age of Revolutions was a good idea. For a first AAR it will give you a much smaller perspective of Englands history and will probably allow you to develope the story better. Should be interesting to see if America becomes free or not.

October 20 1773 : The siege of New york

var_357_small.jpg

"FIRE!"

A thunderous crash rocked the battlements as thousands of american muskets fired at the approaching redcoats. Dozens fell, only to have their comrades walk over them to continue the charge. It was like a scene from hell. Redcoated men marching towards a orchestry of cannon, shells and explosions. It was mayhem, and stupidity at it's best. Howe had succeeded in landing in New york with a force of 24,000 men. But now the siege had dragged on uselessly for 4 and a half months. Howe was furious at Amherst, not knowing the impossibility of the request to meet up with him in 40 days, as Amherst had his own problems up north.

Captain Thomas, one of Howe's Aides, had protested against such an attack. Pointing out George Washington's massing from the south. "The man is going to get us killed" He told his fellow officers. And that was true enough. Amherst had not yet finished sieging saratoga up north while Howe insisted on an attack deep into american lines. News from the south wasn't as good either, as an American army under gates annihilated a british force that was half its size. Thus losing the king's army control of carolina. "This is not the way it was suppose to work" Howe slammed the table with his fist. To him, the american army was an army of incompetents, "pitchfork boys" as he liked to call him. But it he had underestimated them, not that he admitted that. He spent most of the month blaming his staff for the lack of food and provisions. This was not what warfare was suppose to be like! He thought. It was suppose to be a gentlemen's game, where soldiers would march to perfection towards each other, where officers would duel for honor, and he imagined himself leading his army. lavish sword and cocked hat, on a fast horse, urging his men forward. That image was shattered as an American shell crashed its way into the british camp. A stray one, but it almost hit its target, the explosion tore holes into the general's tent, wounding 3 aides. Thomas however, remained unscathed luckily. A messager soon came in.

"Major-General Amherst with his compliments, you are to withdraw immediately" Howe was not amused. "My compliments to the Major General, and remind him that I Am in charge of this campaign, tell General Amherst to hurry his ass down here, we could crush the rebellion now!" The aide then handed a paper to howe "The major general is up north, clearing an american army which was about to attack you sire. As for your command, you aren't CoC anymore sire, on Lord North's orders, you are to hand over command of the Campaign to Amherst, and you are to retreat to Sebago." Howe almost tore the dispatch in half. But he had to admit defeat. THe last charge was bloodily beaten back and Howe had to face facts. The british withdrew from Manhattan on the 26th, just in time too, as an army of 39,000 Americans followed their tracks. The british were beaten from manhattan. Lord Howe would write a letter to Parliament! He swore he would! And Amherst's reputation would go down in the mud!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Munster, Ireland. October 1773

The port city of Foynes was crowded, as over twenty thousand of his majesty's soldiers congregated in the streets. Bartering items, stealing, or just saying goodbye to their families before the ships take them to america, a land of opportunity, the americans claimed. To the soldiers america meant only two things. A place to make your regiment's name famous and to get riches, women and glory. Or it meant an unmarked grave in some distant countryside.
Lieutenant Lawrence Sheaffe had problems finding a sword for his new command. His old one was lost during one of his battles in India, where he had to steal an indian Scimitar just to continue the fight. Yet an indian sword won't do much good in India. He spent days looking through the armouries trying to find one, and he settled on a scottish claymore at the price of 10 guineas, it was second hand, the former owner was buried somewhere in flanders.

Sheaffe walked down the cold streets to find his company and commander, crossing many beggars and sad faces on the way. Perhaps England had no business in America.. or ireland. So far Sheaffe had only seen starvation and deprivation in the eyes of these Irish. Yet sheaffe was a soldier, and he had little choice in the upcoming battle. It was foggy tonight, so sheaffe decided to find an Inn to rest himself for the morning review.

xfar633.jpg

"ATTENTION!"

The ranks of Irishmen instantly froze in unison. stiff, facing ahead. While Lieutenant Sheaffe inspected them. They had dirty uniforms, meaning that this band of irishmen weren't just raised, they must have been diverted from other regiments to form this one. Their weapons were perfectly clean though, as they should have been. Any other english militia commander would have had his men's heads if their buttons were polished enough, yet Sheaffe did not believe in that, for pretty uniforms do little on the battle. Sheaffe looked at them with respect, as many of these men were veterans in their trade.

"I am Lieutenant Sheaffe" The irishmen fidgeted "I am Lieutenant Sheaffe, and no, i am english, not Scottish despite what you say." Men in the back started whispering "Tallion! SHUN!" There was silence. "As i was saying, I am new to this regiment and I will be working with you for quite some time while we are in America. During that time, i will expect nothing but the most utmost professionalism from you. I have heard you irish and scots boasting about how well you can fight. Well now you will show it! In front of the entire british army! No, i am not some Fancy powdered up Aristo, i came from the ranks just like you" At this statement, some men dropped their jaws "You are men of your word, so I will trust you will not desert after taking the King's shilling. I don't expect you to be bloody heroes, i expect you to be soldiers!" Sheaffe then drew his sword, and pointed it out to the direction of the Atlantic "Over there! There are men who broke their oath to their king and now, they are killing their comrades, OUR comrades! soldiers who can't keep their oath are trash! And i will personally execute any traitor in our ranks. However, I have utmost faith in you, and your abilities. We march off Tomorrow, and we will land in america in a few months. Do you have with it takes?" A huge "Aye Sir" erupted from the ranks, as the men presented arms. Sheaffe knew they could be trusted.

The men were dismissed. And while sheaffe went to get his baggage ready. A very tall scotsman came up to Sheaffe. Sheaffe at first did not notice, yet as soon as he went closer, he recognized a face from the past. He did not know what to say, but offered his arm as a handshake. The tall brute would have none of that as he grapped Sheaffe and with his large arms gave his long time friend a friendly bear hug.

"Its been awhile sir" The battlescarred Ensign looked up "Heh glad you noticed my rank Dan" Dan Murray was an Ensign with sheaffe back in india, Sheaffe had remembered one time when they were both sargeants, making the troops cringe in yard drills.

"So what brings you to Donegal sir?" Murray offered Sheaffe a cigar "Not much Dan, off to kill the king's enemies as always." "You mean the americans?" Dan grinned.

"Heh yess if you put it that way. im suppose to help command one of the irish regiments in the army" Dan suddenly had a burst of laughter "Well sakes alive! I'm assigned to this army too! It'll be like old times eh? although this time it won't be as hot as in India. "We'll pray not dan" Sheaffe spoke as he lit his cigar.

"So who commands this army?" Sheaffe asked "Some pompous named Brigadier General Cooper, he thinks this damned army is like a parade. All show."

"well i hope we get a better General In America" "Word has it that lord cornwallis might be offered a command, but we'll have to settle for Amherst. "Why not Howe?" Sheaffe had asked "Because hes bloody enlglish! And Ive heard recently hes mad as a hatter, led men into deathtraps i hear." Sheaffe laughed "well we can only hope we get a good one then."

The two spoke as the army of Scotland and Ireland was loaded into the ships, with 10,000 of his majesty's soldiers. It was going to be an interesting campaign indeed.

Last edited:
This newest addition is better than the last. I am really looking forward to future updates. I am somewhat glad the Americans beat off the attack on Manhattan, being an New Yorker myself, but I look forward to the next plan of attack by the Redcoats.

Very nice start...very nice indeed. Let's see if you can reclaim all of the rebellious colonies back to the bosom of the British Empire!

It's ConfederateKnight!!!

Come over to Eutopia and sign up, the join my new party.

Go to the Free Company and ask LD to let you in.

Im Wilhelm von Eisenberg/

Early August 1774 : Washington Vs. Amherst, the battle for Connecticut.

dhm_353_small.jpg

1773 passed by very quickly, and Major General Amherst was furious with Howe. His attack on New york had been useless, time consuming, and dangerous. retreating back north with 7,000 less men, while he sucked up most of the reinforcements Amherst sent for. "Jesus wept, Damn that arrogant bastard!" Amherst swore again. "Its no use swearing sir, we still have a fight on our hands" Thomas Devlin sniffed his nose in the morning fog "Quite true Colonel, quite true.... Yet I believe that this washington fellow is only trying to delay us. We have 19,000 men whereas he has only 5,000. He is either very brave, or very foolish." Thomas sneezed again "Pardon me sir" He wiped his nose "Well I did hear that he was part of that battle of the wilderness" The general laughed "You mean braddock's defeat? Washington would be a fool then" "I hear he saved the british force sir."

The two men went quiet as the general's aide de camp stared off at the American army. IT was indeed foolish that 5,000 men would face 16,000, yet it was happening. Amherst stared at the enemy formations through the telescope before offering it to the colonel "It is indeed sad, that the Americans trust their so called greatest general with only 5,000 troops" Colonel Devlin knew what the general meant. Months ago a british army was annihilated in the south by a powerful American force of 30,000. led by gates, who only won because his colonels fought the battle for him. Yet if such a device was used in the north instead of the useless front in the south, the colonel knew that it would have made a difference. The silence was broken by the general "What in heaven's name is howe doing?" The Colonel knew that The General was still furious at howe for his failure at new york "I believe he is marching to Ardonak sir. Devlin still couldn't pronounce these american place names properly. "For what reason? All hes doing is diverting my reinforcements! That idiot! He will jeopardize this campaign!" It was true that the campaign wasn't going as expected, far from isolating the main american army, Howes offensive had spread the british army apart, landing it in new york only saved the main american army, under gates and a german name Von Steuben, from marching to the frontier. With quick victory stolen from the british, Amherst knew that the only way to win now was through a proper campaign, taking the united states by sweeping it from the north. He had already taken 3 of the colonies, and now boston was undersiege and will soon be taken. Yet Amherst's immediate concern was this american force.

The battlefield was at a place called New britain, a few miles west of the connecticut river. The countryside was pretty tame, aside from a few farmhouses and stretches of forest. The Americans had positions a few battalions in the cover of these forests, while the rest were in full view of the british army. Amherst was not amused. "We shall send dragoons to our right Colonel, to outflank them, and send the infantry to smash their center, it will be quick... it will be quick." The general insisted. "And what of the loyalists sire?" "they shall cover our supply line for now " Amherst, like many british commanders, had yet to see the value of these hunters and trappers who volunteered their services to the british. These men knew the land like the back of his hand, and had a deadly accuracy with his rifle too. The rifle was different from a musket, though it took several times longer to load, it was incredibly accurate. Yet at this point Amherst had disappoved of the weapon, noting that it was speed from the musket that enabled the british to win their victorys at Blenheim, Quebec, and Minden.

The lines of redcoated infantry began their advance, slow, confident in the military tradition that had gave britain a half century of military victories. The American lines went still, while cannon from both sides raked the field. The redcoated lines were nearing the center, where several farms stood between the american and britihs armies. No doubt, Amherst thought, that these would be garrisoned. Yet he had faith in the weight of his infantry in the center to break through that makesift fortress. THe line advanced calmly, while regimental bands played and officers gave orders as the column neared the wheat field. It was odd, Amherst thought, how men could be expected to march to death looking their finest, with music to cheer them on. Where one minute a man was taught about the virtues of honour, and obedience as a soldier, only to have that thrown away during battle, replaced by savagery and greed for loot. At 300 yards, an impossible range for a musket, the wheat fields exploded in smoke. Amherst was astonished at what he saw. American riflemen! They were shooting down the advancing redcoat files. The men wavered, yet held firm in their disicpline. Thought the american fire was damaging the lines. "So that is why they thought they could delay us" Amherst said "The rifle is a powerful weapon my lord, perhaps we should take note" Colonel Devlin pointed out. The cavalry at this poitn however, had reached the american right, and now it was time for the skirmishers to fall back to american lines, the british had reached the farmhouse, and a charge was issued. Men poured into the farmhouse buildings to kill the defenders. 2 battalions of american infantry. British redcoats climbed over the far walls, pouring their volley of musketry in deadly range, and then procceded to take the buildings with cold steel. Fighting room to room, showing little mercy, while looters stripped the bodies of money. Such was the way of the soldier.

Washington immediately revealled his lines from the nearby wood as british troops, confident in their victory, had charged as a mass without formation out the farms, into the muskets of the american infantry. A murderous volley was fired, leaving more than one redcoat lying in the wheat fields. Yet now it was the british cavalry's turn to fight, the american commander, noticing their presence, formed square. Giving the british infantry time to form line. It was simple mathematics at this point. IN square the americans would be safe from the british dragoons, yet it deprived them of 3/4 of their fire in the face of the forming british lines. So the americans conducted a fighting withdrawl, while british infantry fire decmiated their ranks.
Amherst had reformed a battalion in the confusion, and sent it straight for washington in the center pass the farmhouse. Yet it seemed the old general had a card up his sleeve, as hundreds of muskets fired from the treetops of the surroudning wood, killing most of the officers in the battalion and leaving the men leaderless. However by now a good deal of washington's troops were in the square formation, and amherst decided to concentrate on that.

Despite a few hours of harrassment from american skirmishers and riflemen, the square was eventually surrounded and hacked to pieces by the reforming british infantry. Washington, having lost most of his men, now retreated. And Amherst was in no mood to pursue. So he was content with having won the state of Connecticut. Rumours of a large american army forming in the south ahd reached him, and he was not going to be a William Howe. Amherst received the report, 4,000 americans to 3,000 british. it was troubling, the americans were getting better, improving their armies by the day. And news of the huge american army under Gates didn't help either.

A dispatch was sent to Howe, requesting reinforcements, while Howe aimlessly marched towards Aurondak.

-------------------------------
August 18th 1774 : Arrival at the New World

dhm_598_small.jpg

Lieutenant Sheaffe had recently just recovered from a fever. Possibly from the cold winds of the atlantic, the rocking of his ship didn't help either, as he had a cabin on the upper decks with the officers, where the shaking was more violent than the hold. Yet they had made it, landed in a state called Maine. The American countryside looked very different from Europe. Where Sheaffe had expected prisons, government houses and little sweatshops like in London. He had found that the Americans actually lived quite a different setting. The cities were organized, clean, and friendly. Although Sheaffe had doubts about the citizen's loyalty to the king, who had taken their homes from them so soldiers like Sheaffe could be billeted in them. Dan Murray stepped down from the dock, along with the company that Sheaffe was assigned with, they were the vanguard of the massive army that was unloading from the ships.

"Ah! So this is America! Makes England look like pure hell eh? I would have almost preferred this to the green fields of Donegal." Sheaffe laughed. His years of friendship with murray had shown him something his british officers never taught him about the Irish. They talked of them as barbarians and filth whose only purpose was to get killed and make way for the English troops, yet Sheaffe was astonished of the pride that Murray and his men felt. He even respected it. Murray had made it his buisness to educate his friend about Ireland on the 3 month journey over to America. Between the intervals of seasickness, they talked about the war, about how Ireland could whip any english army (the only reason they lost being they were outnumbered 4 to 1 he claimed!). Sheaffe felt very close to his men, and he knew that they wouldn't let him down.

The two men stopped, to watch a procession of English troop march by them. Their uniforms were perfect, their brass buttons shining brilliantly in the sunlight. While the Irish and scottish army in comparison, had muddy and old uniforms. The army was reallly an army within an army. Out of the 22,000 troops, around 5,000 were irish and scottish accompanied by a battery of artillery. This small force was dubbed the army of scotland, yet it was not very accurate, as most of the recruits were Irish. Must've been the presence of scottish officers he thought. The government of England was very unwilling to make this army, since it was basically giving guns to more potential rebels. Yet the situation in North America had to be contained, and recent word of the failures of lord Howe had made the government desperate. Sheaffe had read that the annual deficit of the royal government was 87 ducats! Several fortunes worth! And the raising of this large army had almost driven england to the verge of bankruptcy. That was one of the reasons why Sheaffe knew this war had to be won quick, or at least,this was why he thought they would be so desperate as to send even irish regiments into America.

ant227.jpg

Murray and Sheaffe on the way to the bar, were stopped by two young gentlemen, one in a cocked hat of a general, the other a small captain. "Good morning Gentlemen" The brigadier general spoke as sheaffe and Murray saluted "It seems like fine weather today, fine for a campaign down south would't you say? Heh well you will be glad to know that I, General Cooper, will be leading you down south!" The captain nodded in agreement "He is just a sad sod sir" Murray whispered to Sheaffe's ears "Brought up in the aristocracy he was, he has no clue how many troops are in a battalion yet he was promoted to general because his own brother was part of Lord North's staff."

Sheaffe did not like how England's army system worked, few men got promoted from the ranks, most just bought commissions despite their age. Sheaffe had known COlonels who were still in their infant years! and he was still expected to salute them! The captain tipped off his hat "I am Captain Hampden, of your company Lieutenant, it will be a pleasure working with one from such a famous regiment as the 39th!" Sheaffe blushed "It will be my pleasure sir" The captain patted sheaffe on the back "i'm sure you'll make us all proud Lieutenant, now saddle up! we are to march west to rendezvous with lord Howe!" Sheaffe and murray were amazed "What of lord Amherst sir?" "Amherst is in charge of the campaign, but lord howe has requested that all reinforcements go through him first. We have not heard from Amherst on this matter yet, so we have no choice but to obey. "What is amherst doing then?" Ensign Murray wondered out loud "The Major General, Ensign, is currently fighting in the south. Have you not heard? An american force had just recently invaded Connecticut, a colony we had already conquered, Amherst drove them back though." Then why was lord howe still in Sebago? Sheaffe wondered. Well it seemed that he was to serve under Howe after all, An aristocrat born to a position. He wondered if Amherst was like that. Sheaffe would have to find out some other time as he prepared his men to march.

-------------------------

Campaign1774.jpg

American Campaign, August 1774

Current Report: The front is stablized for now, and is expected to be like this till next year while both armies are in winter quarters. A huge american army under gates is attacking iroquois lands further south.

Last edited:
----------------------------------------

Interlude

ant225.jpg

The American troops filtered into their camp, which dominated the hills overlooking the city of New york. The troops huddled around their campfires, seeking warm in anticipation of the coming winter. Yet at headquarters, the situation was much hotter. "What the hell does gates think he's doing?" A fist slammed on the table, knocking down a portrait of benjamin franklin in the next room. A servant quickly went back out to fix it "Gates says that we can get the iroquois out of this war and stop those attacks on our frontiers" A man speaking fluent french insisted. "Our frontiers are important, but it is not so important that you would commit over 30,000 men to them! Jesus, send a dispatch to gates, tell him to come back, we've 3 british armies at our doorstep, about to besiege New york again, do you think we can last?" The officers were silent. Washington was always known as a kind and understanding commander, yet in the face of this ridiculous campaign, few could see how the man had held his patience so long.

"The truth is" Washington explained "most of our militia are going to have their service terms expire soon, meaning regular troops are hard to come by, we should leave the frontiers to our light troop. The regulars would do our cause much better in the east." The Frenchmen stood up, his bright blue uniform showed his rank as a Colonel "I agree wholeheartedly general, a dispatch should be sent to gates immediately" The room went quiet. "In any case onto our next business. Are you sure the reinforcements will arrive Pierre?" The Frenchmen shrugged "His majesty cannot guarantee anything unless your war shows some progress." Was new york not progress? Washington thought, then again there was still the prospect of the 3 british armies up north. No, he would have continue the fight, should the campaign fall on Gate's shoulders, who knows what would have happened.

The general turned to his aide "Tell General lee i will rendezvous with him soon, we are going to take down the british army in the center" He pointed to a dirty map of Manhattan and connecticut. "And see if you can get gates over, we will need his men" The corporal saluted, and rode off.

The war was already a year old, yet the casualties had been quite even for both sides. "The men will have to get better" Washington told the colonel "Oui, of course monsieur." The men will have to get better, washington thought, perhaps Von Steuben could help with the drills.

Winter has not yet approached, and the americans were preparing for a fall campaign.

Last edited:
It's ConfederateKnight!!!

Come over to Eutopia and sign up, the join my new party.

Go to the Free Company and ask LD to let you in.

Im Wilhelm von Eisenberg/

Hmm i dunno if you're refering to me :S but im not CK, although i do know one.

------

Anyways thanks guys for the compliments, expect more battles by the weekend, and sheaffe will join amherst in several interesting battles with washington ;)

In case you guys haven't noticed, i have trained an actual "army of Ireland" and i will attempt to keep it intact as Sheaffe has his adventures throughout the empire till 1815 or somewhere there. And write the AAR based on where the army goes

Last edited:
I wonder if washington will be able to save the Independance of his country or if the forces of the Redcoats will be too much for him.

I'm inspired ot go back to my British AAR...

LOL OH, hey confederate :p didn't know you hang out here too :p aw well :rolleyes:

Winter, 1774

dhm_292_small.jpg

The sky was dark, so dark that even the snow covered forests seemed like pitch black instead of the usual, merciful white. The british had concentrated much on this war, A convoy of troops from Hannover having arrived lately, with an army of irish and scots. The Generals resented their presence as word of the recent rebellions in Ireland and scotland made men question their loyalty. Yet the common soldier had more things to worry about. The army resembled a ragged mob at this time, huddled around campfires which dotted the almost barren landscape. While the officers took comfort in their own silk tents. Such was the way of the aristocracy, the elite, and the loser, the commoner. Two grey coated figures waited outside the Generals tent. The two men regretted taking up the chance to enter the American war, yet they had already done so and none could hardly afford to go back 3000 miles for nothing. There had to be victory and there had to be glory. Brigadier General Cooper and Captain Thomas waited patiently to be called in. "His grace, lord william Howe will see you now gentlemen" An aide called out from the tent. Brigadier general cooper and Thomas walked into the general's tent, and saluted to howe, who was sitting on an expensive sofa, a pile of maps on his desk.

The General saw no need to share in his mens' suffering as he had his food prepared in a 12 course meal by his servants, while the common soldier had to sell scraps of cloth and flint to meet the demands of their stomachs, it was a sad army. It was Howe's army. "General Cooper reporting for duty sir" Cooper saluted again. Howe turned around in his chair, facing the general. "Cooper eh? Not Irish I hope" Cooper saluted again. "No sir! Nore scotch either, full english and proud of it sir!"

The general glanced at the man, who was short, lavishly dressed, meaning he had money or friends in high places. This was the type of soldier that howe believed in, the ones who had noble blood in them.

"Ah welcome general! Please take a seat!" Cooper took a seat in front of the desk, while howe made himself comfortable, putting his feet on his desk. "What do you think of the war so far cooper?" Leaning forward, curiously awaiting the generals reply. " I believe it is going well so far sir, as we did capture some of the american colonies...." Howe then slammed the table "Too long!" Cooper reeled back in his seat for second "This war has taken too long! We could have beaten those colonials weeks ago!" He neglected to mention his failure at bunker hill and New york, yet those weren't important details now.

"Amherst is a fool! He intends to take the credit for this war, but I'll be damned before i let him do that!" Cooper was visibly shaken by this sudden rage, but reliefed he was not Amherst. "The bugger wanders off in another direction while we do the real work. The sieges! Can't win a war without them! However I am glad your men are here, they will provide me with excellent opportunities to take a province from the colonials!" He pointed to oswego on the map. "If we capture that province! we will have secured the northern front!" Cooper nodded "i am sure my troops can be of some assistance my lord.

Suddenly a messenger came in "Sire! orders from Major General Amherst! we are to send him reinforcements soon. two american armies are marching north sire! He says that troops are needed down south" The aide was exhausted, as he travelled with all speed. "Very well lieutenant, i shall do whatever i can in my power to help the general" The lieutenant saluted, and left.

"Damn that amherst" Howe said outloud. Throughout the weeks, he had secretly been diverting resources for his own assault on oswego, unaware of the importance in defeating the american armies. It was in the cities, that howe liked, since they offered warm beds and balls for the conquerors. He hoped to meet many beautiful women in north america. Then suddenly he went back to business "Shouldn't we send troops sire? we have a good 40,000 here" Cooper suggested.

Howe gave Cooper a stern look.

"It will be a cold day in hell before i help that bugger, besides, we need those men for the assault on the american fortress in the valley!" Howe pointed eastwards. "Well what other troops did you bring besides the regulars?" Cooper pondered for a minute "well there was the army of ireland, a band of scotch and irish. No good sir. didn't even know why the king authorized it, i'd figure ill send them head first into the assault"

Howe was relieved. "HAH, then it shall be perfectly good sir, we shall send amherst this "army of ireland" and let him suffer." It was the perfect plan, howe thought, while he diverted all of the resources, he would send the irish and scots to amherst to show that he was doing his best to supply them, while secretly, deep down, he knew he was sending amherst to his doom.........such was the price to pay for a man who thought he could beat william Howe! and usurp his command!

And so sheaffe marched south..........to his first american battle

(To come: The battle of Saratoga. Sheaffe and Amherst)

Last edited:
The battle of Saratoga, October 1775

redcoats1.jpg

Prologue
The campaign was moving slowly so far. But the 3 British armies were slowly gaining ground. Boston had fallen with the new year, and Oswego conquered by Howe's army on the 2nd of August. Sheaffe and Dan were miserable, yet they were marching. Marching to a place called Saratoga. "The gateway of America" as amherst called it. It was true, for whoever held saratoga would control the road to newyork, a road which split the american colonies in two. Unbeknowst to Amherst, Howe had secretly hoarded reinforcements for his whole campaign, but the presence of 6,000 scots and irish was very comforting, for Amherst had much respect for them and their fighting qualities.

Together, the army invading saratoga had 16,000 men in it. While the opposing american force, under gates, had 17,000 men. it was to be a huge battle indeed. The flurries of snow dissappeared to unveil the new year of 1775,and soon, spring and summer made way for autumn, and it was during fall, that Amherst planned his quick offensive.

To capture the gateway to the southern colonies. Lieutenant Sheaffe and Ensign Murray were quite miserable, despite their rank, for their uniforms were ragged and uncomfortable in the unbearing weather, yet they were use to this, it was a soldier's job. And they were soldiers, even more, officers, who had to show contempt in the face of the enemy. The british column marched on.... towards their enemy.

The army set up camp a few miles east of Saratoga. Where a defending american army stood. Amherst took this time to get aquainted with the new officers in the army of scotland, to go over the plan of attack the next morning. Sheaffe and Murray followed the colonels and captains as they gathered into Amherst's tent, maps and charts as well as dispatches were surronding him. The general himself was in a lavish and classy uniform, surrounded by aides as they planned. Sheaffe watched on. "This is a bit of a puzzle" Amherst admitted "The americans have entrenched themselves, with massive defenses and earthworks. Most likely they think we are attacking from the northeast, that was what we wanted originally gentlemen, but it looks like we'll have to sail"

The staff members were confused "Surely not home sire? or to new york?" Amherst laughed "No you are mistaken mister devlin, i say we march to the hudson, and commandeer boats so we can land on the americans' southern flank. It is there we will make the attack" He pointed once again to the chart. "i shall send you orders later, for now, you are all dismissed." The men saluted and walked out "Mister Sheaffe... i would like you to stay" Dan gave sheaffe a grin and left with the other officers. Afterwards, Amherst left and sat exhausted in his desk. "So I hear that William pitt is up to his old games again eh. " Sheaffe was confused "Games sire?" "Doing things that no one approves, such as this army of yours. Fully scot and irish eh? No Englisher will look to that kindly."

"Why not talk about this to our general sire?" Amherst looked at sheaffe "because, lieutenant, your general is up north with that incompetent howe, and besides, who else can i talk to that is experienced? You were part of the 39th? At plassey? Surely you must have heard of me" Sheaffe was embarrassed "I have not heard much from india sir, though i have heard of louisbourg" Amherst laughed "Just a siege Lieutenant just a siege, but i have heard of you from plassey. how you were promoted from teh ranks, a rare thing sheaffe a rare thing. I think you are different from the other officers in my command. Half of them have never lifted a sword yet they claim they can lead men to the ends of the earth!"

Amherst grinned "You are one of a kind lieutenant, and i take pride in having competent men in my command" Sheaffe was embarassed, yet curious "And what are you getting at milord?" Lord Amherst pondered for a minute...."I require competent officers sheaffe, at least good captains, this, Hampden of yours. He is an ignorant bastard who doesn't even know what war is like. I would like to promote another captain to your regimental army. However, I cannot do this until i see results sheaffe. Results!" Amherst got up from his chair.

"Tomorrow we will fight the americans there!" Pointing to Saratoga. "A general named gates i believe, we shall give him an arse whooping!" Sheaffe laughed "that we will sir, that we will"

Into the gates of Hell

dhm_669_small.jpg

The British infantry advanced slowly across the hudson on their boats. It was the dead of night, and the Americans were preparing. Suprised at the news of a british force south of him, Gates had set his army south to stop the british. By the time he made the march from saratoga though, most of the army was already over, thanks to a thick fog which covered the river in the morning mists.

Sheaffe gave his sword one more check. All officers carried curved heavy cavalry sabres, hard to carry, but deadly. Yet Lawrence Sheaffe had a scottish claymore, deadly in its own right. The armorour spent a good portion of the day filling in the demands of the cavalry and infantry.

The American army was large. The largest he had ever seen so far in this war, and it was ready for a fight. The americans had marched up and down the hudson guessin at where the british point of attack was. And they discovered it just in time, now they either had to beat the british back, or risk losing the road to New England. The general orders for the day had demanded the strictest march discipline close to that of the british army, any soldier who broke ranks recieved thirty- nine lashes. Though the american commanders were not above the rules, stopping for refreshments with the general and his entourage at the City Tavern. Though disicipline was not as much as the british despite von steubens efforts. Morale was high.

Although the british landing was unopposed, the troops were very tired and ammunitons had to be checked. However, A concentrated American attack, given the disorganized state of the militia and the distance of the main army, was however clearly impossible, and Amherst was left to rest and reorganize his command in peace. The British moved forward in two divisions, one commanded by the major general himself. The other by another general. Clinton.

The two armies prepared themselves. Musket shots would fire out from the opposing camps. Troops clearing out the cartridges that could have been ruined in the moisture of the fog. While skirmishers and cavalry fought their own private war in the woods on the british left.

The two british forces advanced. The one under clinton was to attack the american right by the wood, while Amherst with the main attack made for the American troops themselves.

A dense fog cover initially shielded the redcoat march, and locals kept the commanders well informed of their route. Tory vanguard of the Queen's Rangers and Major Patrick Ferguson's Riflemen advanced only three miles before running into some american outposts. The Americans took advantage of the numerous defiles and woods along the road, On the way, a group of american soldiers unleashed an ambush which caught the loyalist skirmishers by supprise, kiling many. British commanders rallied the Tories and ordered Ferguson's riflemen to take position behind a farm house. He also dispatched the 28th and 49th Foot along with two heavy and two light artillery pieces to an elevation behind them.

The British cannon promptly began pummeling the American breastwork, which apparently mounted nothing more than a couple of light field pieces. At the same time the Queen's Rangers and the 23d Foot filed off to the left, and by musket and bayonet quickly drove the rebels out of their woods and straight across the lowland.

99_5%20artillery.jpg

British cannon

Sheaffe and the army of ireland were with Amherst, who with 3 other redcoat regiments, plan to break the american center, which was whittling away in the face of Clinton's carronade.
Between the two armies, were fields of wheat. Skirmishers. Sheaffe thought.

The british lines were in perfect formation, along with the army of Ireland. As lieutenant, Sheaffe walked around the men, inspecting them and was going to lead them into the planned assault. The men seemed steady, even as a roundshot crashed several feet in front of them, injuring a few men.

Sheaffe raised his sword "Alright boys! Lets give those buggers a whipping!" The colonel of the regiment called out "Army of Ireland! Forward!"

As if they were one, 6,000 men in line formation advanced into the cauldron of gunfire, death and glory. Sheaffe looked proudly at the colour party, where Dan and his sargeants guarded the precious standards with battle axes and bayonets.

The british advanced up to the wheat fields, when suddenly a burst of smoke appeared in front of the lines! Sheaffe saw half the front rank fall, while the men behind took their place. "Light company forward!" THe colonel called. Sheaffe relayed that order "Light company!"

Hundreds of light infantry advanced, and sheaffe lead them into the dreaded stocks. THe american riflemen, knowing their predicament, tried to withdraw, but the irishmen were took quick. Without even shooting a volley, they crashed into the wheat stocks, sending bayonets into the american skirmishers. Sheaffe himself sliced the back of one skirmisher, his backbone exposed to the foggy air.

The proper charge began now, the british formations were past the wheat fields, and before them was the american army. Sheaffe got back into line.

"tallion halt!" The american commanders called, and thousands of muskets levelled themselves in front of the britihs lines, who continued their march of death.

This is the moment of truth, sheaffe thought, as he pointed towards the enemy with his drawn sword. "FIRE" An american commander yelled.

Thousands of muskets fired at once, a deafening thunder which surpassed even the cannon. The british fell by the hundreds, yet the line continued on. "They fired too high!" Colonel Devlin shouted. now it was time for revenge. "Renember aim LOW!" Devlin shouted to his battalion.

"Tallion.. HALT!" The entire line of british infantry halted, silent as the dead. "Make ready!" Thousands more muskets levelled and took aim. "Take aim.....FIRE!"

Tongues of flame lashed out from the british lines, and hundreds more americans fell. "Charge!" The british lines went foward. Some american infantry shot at the british without orders, and soon a ripple of fire came as officers in the american side lost control of their men, who were desperately trying to push back this red tide.

The two sides clashed, the british soldiers let out their revenge on the blue coated americans, the british charge hit home as the kinetic impact of several hundred men hit the american lines like a huge wave on a shore. bayonets, axes and swords swung, and men shot, stabbed and blew themselves up on the foggy marshlands. Men would fight, die, and dissapear into the bogs of mud and death. The irish had yet to join the battle, and it seemed that it would be won without them. Then it happened.

A contingent of American cavalry and a battalion of infantry revealed themselves from the nearby wood. "CHARGE!" An american colonel called out. A thousand men and horse let loose a volley from the woods, and soon a column of american troops came crashing on the british right. This movement was unknown even to gates, since the american colonel, Benedict arnold, took his men to that spot on his own initiative. Just as Clinton had attacked the american right, arnold choose this moment as the best time to attack the british right. "A good move." General Amherst viewed the battle on his favourite horse. "Yet not good enough"

The column of american men clashed into the british lines, which slowly broke under the combined weight......................
---------------------------------------------------

Sheaffe saw the moment, and quickly ordered the company foward. Colonel Devlin wasted no time either, the Irish formed column and advanced to save the british line. Sheaffe drew his sword, and to the protest of captain Hampden who could only watch, took the company to the line, along with the regiment which colonel devlin lead. A general charge was ordered for the remaining reserves.

The lines crashed, as irishmen screamed Gaelic at their american enemies, before hacking their way into the lines. The irish fired a volley into the americans before charging. Some even charged with loaded muskets, shooting their enemies as they stabbed them. Sheaffe's sword took down many an american soldier. A colonel attempted to slice sheaffe with a backhand slash, yet the point always beats the edge, and sheaffe instinctively thrusted fowards before the sword hit home. And the american colonel fell back wounded, before sheaffe could finish him off, a thunder approached from the wood.

dhm_334_small.jpg

American cavalry joined the fray too, as british dragoons rushed to support them. The cavalry captain, a handsome young man, eyed sheaffe as a target, and galloped his horse at the lieutenant. instead of running, which the captain expected. Sheaffe continued to face the horse, giving no clues as to where he intended to move. The captain didn't care, he thrusted his sword forward, but at the last minute, sheaffe sprung to his right, which was the cavalryman's left. And thrusted his sword into the horse. The horse whinned and fell over, crushing the captain, sheaffe then went off to find another opponent.

Gates was dumbfounded, the americans were so close to winning, yet now he had to withdraw, despite the fact that he still had men trapped in the plain. Clinton began his own assault, grenadiers charged the american camp. Gates wasted no time, mounting his charger. The fastest in all of America, and ran pell mell southwards. His staff, seeing this attempted to follow him.

The american line broke, and Sheaffe watched, his sword and uniform drenched with blood, he watched teh american line break and run, while the british hussars carved a path through the running men.

The british had won.

He stopped at the color party, which had taken its part in the fighting. The standards drenched with the bllood fo the americans who tried to take it. Dan smiled.

"Looks like our work is done here dan"

"Aye that it is sir."

Amherst rode up to the party. "I must say, some mighty fine work, captain sheaffe."

"Captain sire?" Amherst grinned...

"haven't you heard? Hampden died, the americans snuck some skirmishers behind us, took a rifle bullet in the head he did, oh well, his fault for not charging." Amherst paused a second to let the news sink in....

"I hear the irish need a new captain, and your it. Congradulations sheaffe."

"Thank you sir" Sheaffe smiled.

So america was the land of opportunity after all, he thought. He smiled again as the Kings German cavalry chased the americans through the hills.

--------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
NEWS:

-around 7,000 british and 10,000 americans were killed/captured/deserted at saratoga

-the defeat at saratoga (catskill) effectively lowered gates army. Washington now has the largest continental army in manhattan. (15,000)

-An american force of 5,000 has captured niagara, burguyone is sent to deal with them.

-1775 ended with the fall of Oswego, captured by howe, who lead a 31,000 man army to defeat a 5000 man american army garrison. though he did take it in the end, over 17,000 men were lost due to winter starvation and cold. It was a crippling victory indeed, but saratoga, and the region of Catskill, was british.

----------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile... 3000 miles away

"Sire" Lord North Knocked on the door.

*insert Irish Accent* "WAH TA TA TEE! Come in!"

"Um hello your majesty" Lord North Bowed

The king quickly hid his toy figurines inside his desk.... or his pants, not that he figured out the difference.

"Sire i have urgent news about our budget"

"Yes, how are we on the "chunnel" fund?"

"Chunnel?"

"A tunnel that connects britain and france"

"Um sir, we don't need one, france is our mortal enemy"

"Yes so if we had a tunnel, we could invade france!"

"Or they could invade us.... anyways, I want to talk about the budget. we're still 75 Ducats in deficit with 440 left in our treasury, although we did advance to Land 45 and Naval 38."

"Land what and naval wha wha?"

"Technology sire"

"I see"*twitch

"well in any case, we need to cut back on expenses, what can you suggest your majesty?"

"Hmm cut down the army, navy, infra.."

"But we are at war, we need those.... how bout your Christmas stocking fund? thats taking up alot"

"NEVER! Anything but that! Lets just send some merchants to india and be done with that."

"Very good sir.....by the way why are you acting so strange"

"Strange?" *twitch

"Are you insane like your father?"

"Only temporary"

"How can you tell?"

"Because it someone told me so on March 25, 1775!"

"Riight sire."

And so Lord north worked to get the brits out of deficit. While the treasury was almost empty when George went to the candy store across the street.

---------------------------------------

(To come: Washington strikes! The campaign of 1776!)

Last edited:
Nice updates. I am surprised the Benedict Arnold couldn't turn fortunes around for the Americans, but with Gates at the helm I suppose it makes sense.

The New Year... January 1776
valleyforge.jpg

1775 was a bad year for the American cause, with the defeat of gate's army. Only 2 main armies are left in America, One in Carolina building up, and Washington's army : the only army standing between the british and the american capital at Philadelphia.

The air was covered in snow, as was the land. A merciful blanket of white which signalled winter quarters. But the american cause was in too much danger for General Washington to take to the taverns for a new years toast. Everyone in his staff knew the predicament they were in, and they indeed worked through the new year. Supplies had to be accounted for, Weapons issued and rations distributed. The American Column steadily marched north for Albany, where Amherst's army set in for winter quarters. The British, unlike the americans, were enjoying the new year in style. Having conquered albany and the surrounding forts. Many soldiers went to the pubs to spend their loot and wages on beer. While the commanders had stylish balls and dinners. The americans, on the other hand, were starving and freezing of cold. Yet their resentment of britain burned fiercely in their hearts. And morale was still high.

Washington was appalled by gate's defeat at saratoga, had he waited for washington's arrival, the battle might have been won. The war wasn't going too well for America, washington knew. Amherst had tore the heart of two american armies and was poised to do the same to washington's. Yet washington wasn't the type of man to sit there and wait. He immediately took his force northwards despite the winter, such was the desperation of the American cause. While washington was surveying his troops, a lone horsemen in a gray greatcoat stepped up to the general. "Preparations are almost complete sir, i'll have my division up to Haverstraw by tomorrow." The General took one last look at his troops before responding. "I fear that if this does not go as planned, Arnold, then we may kiss America and freedom goodbye"

"I wouldn't need to worry sir, as far as I'm concerned, its gates whose been leading us astray. but with him dismissed, we are in good hands." The General smiled "And we are now about to embark on a winter campaign that has never been attempted before arnold, how do you feel about that?" Washington turned to Major General Benedict arnold, newly promoted for his valiant act at Saratoga. "I wouldn't need to worry sir, the british are like the other Europeans, won't fight in winter. They fear attrition here more than anything. We'll have suprise." This comforted the old general. "Very well then, I shall have you lead the first assault, we must have west point by the 28th. Can you do that?"
Benedict arnold responded without hesitation. "Of Course sir, of course" He saluted and then trotted his horse to his division. 15,000 Americans were going to attack the british in the winter. The fate of America lay in this campaign. Two american armies were now on both sides of the hudson river advancing north. While the british slept, celebrated and got drunk in winter quarters.

Last edited: