• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nov 21, 2002
www.glitterchildren.com
PREFACE

Nation: Creek
Campaign 1419 – 1820 (with any luck)
EU2 version: 1.07
Mod: EEP 1.4.1
DIFFICULTY: Normal
AI: Aggressive

The Skinny Guy and the Bearded Fellow return in another AAR from C444Lockhart. Those of you who read my first AAR, Wien and Dine on the Blue Danube, have met these characters before. With this AAR, I will not be writing with such excruciating detail. Also, this AAR will be told from a first person perspective, as the Skinny Guy recounts the tales of the duos visit to the New World.

As far as plans, goals, limitations and all that. Nothing is set in stone. The main goal is to have fun, write a decent character-driven AAR, and hopefully survive until 1820.

Though I am playing a Grand Campaign (+EEP) starting in 1419, the story will start in 1526. This is when our heroes arrive as accidental stow-aways on a Spanish ship arriving in Seminole.

So there.. I’ve actually done a true little introduction to my AAR. The first installment shall be up very soon. Any words of advice, encouragement, discouragement, etc are always greatly appreciated. As far as gameplay, keep in mind that I have already played ahead up 1613.

I can say one thing, though I enjoy reading the great AARs around here.. It’s good to be back in the writing seat again.

Well, I guess this might be interesting...if you stick with it. I hope you do...this looks fascinating.

I.i

Chapter One

They call me The Skinny Guy. One look at me will end any discussion as to how I got this name; this holds particularly true when I stand next to the one known as The Bearded Fellow. He is grateful for the luck that it hadn’t stuck when I used to call him You Fat.. well.. That’s for another time and place. Fate was against me the night that I met him in a bar. He and I were both interested in the same girl. We began to approach her at the same time, and got into an argument before she even saw us. We’ve been arguing ever since.

This tale, however, is not so much about our meeting. It’s not about our arguments, either.. though you’ll hear about plenty of those. Rather, this tale is about our accidental stay with the Creek Indians. Our stay there was long. Due to the length of our stay, it is necessary that I explain to you the fact that The Bearded Fellow and I are both immortals. In other words, we never die; actually, we never really age. I do not know how we came to possess this trait. And really, I don’t care.

In the summer of 1525, we both decided to visit Spain. It seemed like a decent place to spend the summer, and besides, we heard the wine was good. We’d grown tired of the thick syrupy wine served by the Habsburg, and we’re looking for a nice place by the ocean.

Spain wasn’t too bad, actually. What started out as a summer became a year.. and It was the end of July 1526, when we met up with a group of explorers and sailors planning on visiting the New World. Some called it America; No one is really sure why. As with many things, I couldn’t care less. We also didn’t care about their upcoming voyage. What we did care about was the night of drinking they were starting up beforehand. The royal family had given them a lot of money, and they spent the majourity of it on wine.

With our usual charm, we merged in with the group, and were invited to partake of their wealth of drink. When I asked them what they had to drink, the told me it was wine. In my attempts to look sophisticated, I inquired as to what type of wine we would be drinking. I did not expect to understand their answer. However, when I asked, they said the wine was red. That’s the last thing I remember clearly from that night.

The next thing I do remember, I’m waking up amongst dozens of barrels of wine in the dark. I stood up, rubbed my aching head and tried to adjust to the lack of light. It was then that I smelled the mildew, salt water, and smoked sausages. As the strong nausea of a hangover hit me sideways, I noticed that the floor was rocking back and forth. I threw myself on the floor, trying to make the room stop moving.

Then came the familiar voice of the Bearded Fellow, as he groaned from what could only be a headache. Through a string of obscenities, he said one of the few intelligent things the redheaded fool has ever said.

“I feel like I’m swinging back and forth, my stomach feels like a ship tossed about on the sea..”

“A ship on the sea?!” I cried. “Oh god.. It has to be true..”

It was not until this point that I actually noticed the creaking noises of a ship at sea. That I heard the sound of the waves against the sides of the vessel. It was then that I started to piece together vague memories of the events of the night before.

Let me first admit that I cannot be sure it is true, but this is my theory. I figure that we went drinking with the crew of this ship. That much I remembered. We drank the drink, until the drink and we were drunk. In our drunken state, we climbed on board the ship, probably unnoticed, and passed out behind these wine barrels.

“Be quiet,” I whispered to my stout friend. “Quite unintentionally, we have made stow-aways of ourselves. If we’re found, we’re lost.”

He shuddered as he glanced around us. “Are we going to the New World?”

I sighed. “Our wine-tasting tour of Spain has lead to a risky voyage across the sea. Now.. we have to keep our presence unknown. When we hit land, then we’ll have to find some way to sneak off. We might make it there, but I don’t think we can stay hidden round trip. We shouldn’t have any trouble once we get to the New World. If I recall, from what I’ve heard, Christopher Columbus and his crew were treated like gods when they arrived.”

He nodded. “That’s right! He said that the Indians thought that they were from heaven! Imagine that.. We might find we like it more with those who treat us like gods.”

“Well..” I said, “I can only hope we will be so lucky.”

After that tragic moment of our realising where we were, I’ll spare the details of the voyage. Suffice it to say, there were several moments that we were almost discovered. Thankfully, the crew never found us. Truth be known, most of the time, when they came down to where we were, they were fairly drunk anyway. We did overhear a few arguments concerning how quickly the food was disappearing. Little did they know, that they could thank me, and especially the Bearded Fellow, for that.

Most likely, it was the end of October 1526, when our trip came to an end. Based on what I know now, I can safely assume that we arrived somewhere in Seminole. When the crew landed, they were far too excited and concerned about what was on the land, to notice anything special about what was on the ship. This worked greatly towards our advantage, and we were soon on land, hiding among the trees.

The trees, too, were to our advantage. The crew threw themselves out of the ship, and quickly drew attention to themselves. They had their weapons drawn and ready, and very well they should have. A tribe of tremendously irate natives tore into them almost immediately, leaping from the forests all around them. It was more than obvious at this point, that Christopher Columbus had lied.

Last edited:
:) as you can see.. this one is going in a completely different style from the last. I think that the Austria AAR was decent for a first one.. I would never recommend it to anyone, but it was a good learning experience. Now.. as for an update.. either tonight or tomorrow. Just depends on how real life treats me.. This one requires a lot less preparation per installment compared to the Austrian one.. so.. shouldn't be too much trouble.. enough rambling.. time to get back to work..

Great start...seems I'll have to read your Austria AAR, I do not know these Skinny and Bearded people that well...but even so it's tons of fun!:)

I.ii

We found ourselves in a foreign land, unsure which way to go. There were plenty of forests, and even more swamps. As the swamps seemed to be stronger to the south, we decided to venture northward. Actually, I’ll have to be honest with you. We didn’t have a clue where we were or where we were going, we just started walking. It was by pure luck that we were traveling away from the swamplands.

It was getting colder as the days went on, and we got deeper into winter. Thankfully, the winter was much warmer that what we had grown accustomed to in Europe. The walking was not easy, particularly since we had no idea if it would bring us anywhere. With the cool weather, combined with our lack of familiarity with our surroundings, it was about four months of traveling until we found ourselves in Tuscaloosa.

Worn out from travel, thirsty and hungry, we came upon a town in the province of Tuscaloosa. We soon learned that this was where the seat of the Creek government, of sorts, was located. Chief Miko, the leader of the Creek Indians, was in meeting with Chief Fox of the Cherokee Indians when we arrived.

The village was excited by our arrival. I can only assume that they judged by our appearance that we posed no threat. It was to our great advantage that this was true. It was also to our advantage that they all spoke English. Your guess is as good as mine, but I think it was for the sake of this very story that they knew our language.

Over the course of the next year, we learned a little about the Creek Indians. This town that we had become a part of, was what they called a white town. What this meant was that they were a more peaceable town, and dealt with matters of diplomacy. Other towns, like those in Savannah and Talahassee were considered red towns. Red towns were more responsible for military actions. While they had this basic idea of how things were run, they really didn’t stick to it to well.

Overall, the Creek were a peaceful people. It would be a great misunderstanding, however, to think that all Indians were peaceful. To the north of us, the Cherokee and the Shawnee were proof that the Indians could be quite violent.

In the spring of 1528, we received the grand pleasure of accompanying a group of Creek moving to a young town in Mobile. Due to the lack of food, however, the Bearded Fellow was quick to suggest we return to Tuscaloosa. When we returned, we found the Chief in a foul mood.

“Chief Miko,” I asked. “What happened while we were away that has put you in such a bad mood?”

“Oh, Skinny Guy,” he stated sadly. “Chief Fox of the Cherokee has accused my son of spoiling his daughter. My son has not left Savannah for a long time. Unless Chief Fox’s daughter traveled down to my son, the two have not laid with each other. Nonetheless, he is demanding that my son marry his daughter. This is disgraceful. My son refuses to marry his daughter, and the boy cannot be blamed. Despite my son’s opinions, we have certain rules and ceremonies for marriage, and this daughter does not apply. It a fit of anger, I accused Chief Fox of committing the act himself, and though I have apologised, there seems to be no mending of our relations.”

“Well.” I replied. “I was just asking a simple question, I didn’t need the whole story. But anyway.. that’s terrible news.”

“Yes.” he sighed. “Bah. How are things in Mobile?”

“Things went well.” I explained to him, and told him about the clans there.

“Oh yes.” my ignorant redheaded friend added. “I hope we can go back again soon!”

About a year later, we were sent with another group to the same town, and were surprised to see how much the place had expanded. Thankfully, the farms there were much more prosperous, and we had plenty to eat.

I imagine the Bearded Fellow, being a large guy was happy that there was plenty of food...when is he going to start his own still and make some scotch?

I.iii

The Creek had a natural inclination for expansion. Thankfully, we did not accompany them, but a group went off to Yazoo to join the city there.

As would become our two primary tasks during the majourity of our stay in the New World, we tried to teach the Creek and make improvements in their culture. I worked directly with Chief Miko, explaining how government and administration works in Europe. There were a small improvements made here and there, but I must admit that in those early days I wasn’t much of a teacher. It wasn’t easy, considering they were so far behind the rest of the world.

The Bearded Fellow focused on matters of trade. He started up a group of merchants, and sent them abroad. To my amazement and pride, he successfully started what I like to call “The Bearded Fellow’s School of Trade”. It was modest, and worked on the basics. It must be kept in mind that what we consider basic was quite foreign to the Indians. They made a sincere effort, and did a good job considering where they were coming from.

There was an actual trade center of sorts in Hindua. The location was unfortunate. To make it to Hindua, our merchants had to travel through Cherokee territory. While our relations with the Cherokee were fairly neutral, there were those among them that didn’t care for those among us. The journey only got worse as they actually made it to Hindua, as this town was located in Shawnee territory. While the Shawnee had no real opinion of us individually, they were particularly aggressive regardless. They hated the Cherokee, and did not care too much for anybody that entered Shawnee land from the Cherokee border.

In the fall of 1530, one of our traders was killed in an argument with a Shawnee trader in Hindua. At the beginning of 1531, this happened again; only it was three of our traders. When news of the event made it back to us, the Creek people became terribly irate. The problems continued through spring and into summer. For some reason, the people in Talahassee didn’t get over it for a couple of years.

“My brother in Talahassee is having a terrible time with his people.” Chief Miko said to me one day, as I was in the middle of getting dressed, after a bath in the river.

“What’s the trouble?” I floundered.

“Well, the farmers and their families have revolted against him. It started with the killings in Hindua, a couple of years ago. Threw them into a terrible mood. Since then he tells me they only gotten more and more violent.”

“Who has gotten more violent?” I asked, confused by his last statement.

“Our people in Talahassee. They’ve been throwing fish in huge piles on a road in the middle of the town there. The place stinks; it’s a terrible state of affairs. He says he has never smelt such an odour. I feel for him.. it’s a tough roe to hoe.”

“Are you sure it’s our people that started it? The whole thing smells a little..” I offered.

Chief Miko sighed. “Don’t say it.. I know what you’re thinking. Right now, I don’t want to go down that road. Frankly, I’m not sure I can stand the punishment right now.”

“Well,” I attempted to smile. “At least Mobile has grown to a profitable town.”

“Oh yes.” he chuckled. “They’ve started contributing to the Creek as a whole. I’m very proud of my people in Mobile. They’ve done very well. I don’t think Yazoo is very far behind them either.”

Originally posted by Amric
...the Bearded Fellow... when is he going to start his own still and make some scotch?

Make some Scotch? That's funny stuff. I like it.. hmmm..
I'll probably use it.. thanks! You know.. I haven't mentioned it yet, but I bet he wasn't doing to well being so far away from Scotland so that he wouldn't hear any news of their wellfare.

The Bearded Fellows school of trade? Now that is funny! Yes, make scotch, it will make the poor fellow happy. He can drown his sorrows in his spirits...:)

Originally posted by Languish
This uses a very unique way of very and does you credit... keep it up :)

what? :confused: i feel like I have been complimented.. but I'm not sure..

..if not, I must warn you that I am trained in the ways of monkey kombat.