• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13005)

Corporal
Dec 21, 2002
Visit site
Well, that's the grand ambition anyhow. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to take this AAR all the way to 1819, but I'll see what I can do. This is my first AAR ever. So go easy on me, k?;) I'm also going to try to add pics to this thing, but again, I'm not sure what the limitations will be, so I can't promise anything. Overall, just bear with me. Anyhow, enough blithering on my part. On to the game!

Conditions

1: I will be playing Normal/Normal. If it turns out to be too easy, I'll play my next AAR on Difficult.

2: The Kingdom of Poland and The Grand Duchy of Lithuania will not unite in the sixteenth century. Why? Its a historical scenario I've always wanted to try. Basically, we are assuming that relations between the two courts break down to such a degree that such a unifycation becomes impossible. How would the history of Poland look if the Union had never taken place?

3: I reserve the right to change historical events to fit the RP. Why? From the end of the sixteenth century, Poland's Kings are elected by the Polish Sejm, a rough equivalent of England's House of Lords. I'd like to have control of these elections. This doesn't mean that I'll be changing any in-game factors, simply that I'll probably have different Kings ruling Poland from the sixteenth onwards than are in the game, and will roleplay these Kings accordingly.

That's about it. Please feel free to post any questions or comments you may have.

The Beginning: January 1, 1419

King Wladyslaw Jagiello sat at his desk and pondered. He had been King of Poland a long while, 34 years to be exact. Thirty-four years as King, and he felt he could go on another ten, perhaps even another twenty. Many were baffled by the Kings longevity, the King amongst them. Indeed, there were those of the royal court who spoke of witchcraft, of pagan secrets from the deepest parts of Lithuania which would assure the King's immortality. Wladyslaw snorted. Sometimes the Polish inclanation toward superstition and exaggeration knew no bounds.
Thirty-four years....thirty-four years made for a great load of memories, both good and bad. They ran through his mind, merged into the one great stream called memory. His marriage to Jadwiga, the coronation, rumors of Jadwiga's adultery, his great victory over the Teutonic Order, Jadwiga's untimely death, and thousands of other images, all blended into one great avalanche of images and emotion. Wladyslaw sighed, perhaps 34 years was too long...
His mind slowly wandered to less remote matters, to matters of state, of government, to plans for the future. For nine years, his Kingdom remained dorment. Ever since his great victory over the Teutonic Order, and his failure thereof to exploit the victory, Jagiello had been too busy struggling with the stubborn Polish nobility to attend to strengthening his Kingdom. Now, after nine long years, he had come to some sort of accord with the nobility, showering them with rights, finally instituting The Sejm as a true governing body, and weakening his own authority beyond repair. But he had finally passified them, and he was still King, and now he intended to spend whatever time he had left doing what was truly important to assuring his son's own reign, leaving a legacy.
He looked down onto the document he had been finalizing. Within the day, it would become royal decree, and none throughout the Kingdom would dare oppose it. In a few years he would have a fleet, and Poland would take her first step to becoming a true European power...

str28o.gif

Last edited:
An Initial Misunderstanding: January 24, 1421

The King was quite surprised when an emissary from the Grand Duke of Lithuania announced his presence at Krakow during the morning setion of the Court. He was even more surprised when the emissary announced that he had been sent by The Grand Duke to ask Jagiello to honor his alliance with Lithuania and declare war on Friesland. A low hum of voices filled the chamber as King Wladyslaw asked the emissary the inevatable question: "Why, my good man, has our ally chosen to declare war upon a tiny duchy on the other side of Europe?" The answer shocked the court.
"Friesland is at war with Holstein, a close friend of the Teutonic Order. Emissaries from The Order have been at Vilinius, asking my lord for military aid in this war. The Grand Duke feels that it would be wise to repare our relations with The Order, and so has agreed to declare war upon Friesland."
The King flew into a fit of rage.
"Has my good friend The Grand Duke forgotten that not eleven years ago The Order was intent on destroying Lithuania?! Has he already forgotten the tens of thousands of both Polish and Lithuanian lives that had to be lost to bring The Order to its knees?! Does he really think that The Order would not destroy his and my homeland if they were given only half a chance?! Is it treachory, or mere stupidity that drives him to embrace the venomous snake? This is fine news, fine news indeed. Our closest ally now works to strengthen our most deadly enemy. Tell your lord that I am appalled by his stupidity. Tell him that Poland does not need such allies. Tell him that I will not declare war upon Friesland, and that I hereby end any and all alliances my Kingdom has with Lithuania. And tell him he is fortunate that I do not declare war upon him, and place someone with more sense upon my motherland's throne. Good-bye sir!"
With great applause from the court, the emmasary was literaly thrown out of the royal palace by the palace guards. The King briefly addressed the court:
"Though we may have made ourselves a new enemy today, we have also rid ourselves of a false friend. Let it be noted that as King of Poland I work for the good of the Polish realm, despite the Lithuanian blood which flows through my veins. Tis a decision I had made when I was crowned King, and it is one I am prepared to make many a sacrifice to uphold."
More applause filled the chamber as King Wladyslaw took his leave of the court.

Wladyslaw_Lokietek.jpg

Last edited:
The Conclusion of Lithuania's War With Friesland: April 1, 1425

And so it came to pass that on the first day of April, in the year of our lord 1425, Friesland signed a white peace with her former enemies, The Duchy of Holstein, The Teutonic Order, and The Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Thousands had died for naught. The four year war proved to be what it truly was: senseless and futile.
The war had however drawn The Teutonic Order and Lithuania closer together, so much so that a couple of weeks later they formed a military alliance in Vilinius. This caused great alarm in Krakow, and many of the court advised the King to patch up his relations with those two states and join the newly formed alliance.
The King, however, did not head this advise. He was often heard saying that "I have learned my lesson, Poland will not be engaged in alliances which will lead her only into foolish wars which will bring about her ruin." The King's stubborness made him less than popular amongst the nobility, who thought it a splendid idea to join the new alliance.
As the years passed, emissaries from around Europe would continue to pour into Krakow, seeking to bring Poland into one military alliance or another. The King would refuse all of them, and soon, Wladyslaw Jagiello's neutrality would become famous (and in some cases infamous) throughout Europe.

Last edited:
The Construction of a Fine Arts Academy In Krakow

Sometime in August, 1432 a group of Polish artists gained an audience with the King and court. They layed out a novel idea before the court, namely the construction of a fine arts academy in the capital city. They argued that such an institution would serve as a place where the nobility could send its children to gain the knowledge they would need to make good conversationalists in foreign courts. Knowledge in this field, they argued, is highly regarded throughout Europe. If Poland were viewed as a land ruled by cultured nobility, her international reputation could only benefit. The King approved the idea, but could not oblige the petitioners. All state funds were currently being exploited for the construction of a high-seas fleet in Danzig. He simply had no money to spare for the project. And so he called on the Sejm to gather in Krakow for the first time since its inaguaration in 1418, to here the petitioners' idea.
Throughout August the representatives traveled from all corners of Poland to Krakow to partake in The Second Gathering. Finally, on September 2, 1432, the 1000 assembled to hear the petitioners. The Sejm loved the idea, it appealed to their vanity, and unanimously and loudly approved it. They then returned to their homes to begin the work of gathering the funds needed to construct the academy in Krakow.
On January 1, 1434 the King and Sejm met once again in Krakow. The Sejm happily reported that it had raised the funds needed to construct the academy. The next day, the King comitioned the founding of The Polish Institution of The Arts, which busied itself with preparing the workers, plans, and other accomodations needed to begin the project. Construction began on February 14, 1434.

Last edited:
So far I am really enjoying this AAR. It has a very smooth flow to it and I definately approve of the clause of 'no unification with Lithuania'

First off; a very nice AAR so far, I'm really enjoying it. Poland has always been one of my favorite nations(and not just because I'm part Polish :p) and I find its history fascinating. I also fully support your idea of electing differant Kings, as well as not uniting with Lithuania. I've seen a few AARs where Poland attempts to take Siberia(I've done one of these myself...or tried to), but I don't think I've seen one like this yet. Go for it! Maybe take a more German-centric perspective; annex Bohemia and attempt to become Holy Roman Emperor. The Hussars shall march through Wien!

The King is Dead! Long Live The King!

On the night of June 2, 1434, King Wladyslaw II Jagiello passed peacefully in his sleep at the ripe age of 83. May God recieve his soul in heaven!
When his will was opened the following day, it was discovered that the King had named his youngest son, Wladyslaw Warnenczyk, his successor. The court, indeed the whole realm buzzed at the prospect of being ruled by a 10 year old King. The King-elect's Protector was also named in the will, he was to be Lord Marcin Trajnowski, the late King's most trusted advisor. None of the nobility chose to oppose either the succession nor the appointment, something short of a miracle in a realm famous for its inner fueds. It was taken as a good omen by all, and indeed it was said that the young Prince would lead the Kingdom to great achievments.
For the next week, Krakow buzzed busily. The late King's body had to be prepared, both spiritually and physically, for burial. Funeral arrangements had to be made. Invitations had to be sent out. Over the next month, Lords and Ladies from around Europe poured into Krakow for the esteemed late King's funeral.
Finally, on July 1, 1434, King Wladyslaw II Jagiello was layed to rest at the Royal Crypt outside Krakow. The funeral was a splendid affair, thousands, invited and univited, attended the ceremony. Most notable amongst the esteemed guests were The Grand Master of The Teutonic Order, Paul Bellizer von Russdorf, The Grand Duke of Lithuania, Zygimantas Kestutaitis, The King of Hungary and Bohemia, Zigmunt, The Margrave of Brandenburg, Friedrich, and The Duke of Pommerania, Kazimierz V. The lower nobility commented amongst themselves that even the King's enemies had come to pay their respects. Those closer to the court knew that they had come more to force or coerce concessions from the new Lord Protector. As the funeral came to an end, the mosted noted guests were quietly invited to remain in Krakow for the coronation. All accepted the invitation. The King had just been layed to rest, and already the political cogs were churning in Krakow. Such was the way of the world...

wnetrze-korona.jpg

Last edited:
The Coronation, And Much Ado

And so, on July 8, 1434, ten year old Wladyslaw Warnenczyk Jagiello was crowned Wladyslaw III, King of Poland, and Lord Marcin Trajnowski sworn in as Lord Protector at the newly erected St. Michael's Cathedral in Krakow.
The next day the King and Lord Protector were busied disapointing foreign petitioners. All heard the same thing: no, The King will not be entering any military alliances or trade agreements, yes, the King maintains his father's policy of neutrality. Grand Masters, Dukes, and Kings left Krakow resenting the new King as they had resented the old. Perhaps even more so, as many of them felt they had been slighted by a mere pup.
On the tenth, the King addressed the Sejm. He promised to uphold the nobility's right to representation, to maintain Poland's neutrality to assure the continued prosperity of said nobility, and continue work on the High Seas Fleet at Danzig. Having said all the right things, the new King won great applause from the Assembly, and the representatives went home feeling they could forever control and manipulate this new King toward their own ends. In short, harmony reigned during the first days of the new King's rule.

wladyslaw_warnenczyk.gif

Last edited:
The Official Opening of The Polish Academy of Fine Arts

On January 1, 1436, workers completed the construction of The Polish Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow. On February 1, Lords and Ladies gathered for the official opening of the academy. Most came to see the King rather than the completed academy. Wladyslaw had spent the past two years in near seclution, this was to be only his second public appearance as King, and the nobility wanted to see just who their Lord Monarch was.
Perhaps the first thing an inquiring individual would notice, though with no great surprise, was that Wladyslaw was indeed still a child. At age 12, he was not even the shell of a man. Small, fair skinned, big eyed, clinging to the side of his Lord Protector, he in no way reminded the nobility of their late great King. And, despite themselves, many were disappointed by what they saw, and felt for a moment that their Kingdom was as feeble as the boy-King which embodied it.
And then Wladyslaw spoke, and he was transformed in their eyes. His voice was not loud or booming, it was the shril of voice of a child. He started off nervously, timidly, obviously unused to speaking to a crowd. But his nervousness quickly faded, and he soon spoke with a confidence, and a passion, and an authority which far surpassed the expectations of those gathered there, much to their delight.
"We have gathered here today to lay the first brick in the building of a new Poland. For many generations our realm was divided, and weak, and dark. Decades of diligent effort by the three great Kings who preceded me lead to the rebirth of a united Kingdom of Poland. But the task which lays before us is perhaps even greater, even more precarious. This institution which we have erected here is an Academy which is to spread the light of culture throughout our realm. But it is also much more than that. This institution is a manifestation of our imperial destiny. In a thousand years, historians will right of The Polish Academy of The Fine Arts as the first brick layed in the reformation of the Polish dynamic. This academy will be know as the corner-stone of a new Pole-citizen, a subject of what will become known as Pax Polonia, the greatest empire since Charlemagne. Today we say to the world: we cary the light, and thou shalt recieve it, whether by fire or lantern, it shall be yours. Open your arms wide! The Great White Eagle has spread its wings, and none shall stand before him!"
The crowd errupted with a great roar of approval, never had they heard such words concerning them. A whole spectrum of visions spread before them, new ideas, new images of glory and of power. And they looked upon their boy-King with new eyes, and truly believed that he would lead them to a greatness which would not be forgotten for a thousand lifetimes.

Dzwon.jpg

Last edited:
Originally posted by jwolf
Your AAR is off to a great start. Nice writing! This will definitely be different, with no union with Lithuania. That makes me curious, though: do you expect actual hostility and warfare with them? And without your natural ally, who are your friends? Or don't you need any?:eek:

Thanks for the kind word. Do I expect hostility and warfare with Lithuania? I'm not sure. For now it could go either way. If Lithuania is still allied with the Teutonic Order when I eventually go to war with them, then I guess hostilities between our two nations will be unavoidable. Also, I might eventually go to war with Lithuania to gain access to the Black Sea. But its too early to say anything for sure.
Who are my friends? Right now, I'm preserving a strict neutrality. The longer I can avoid an unwanted war, the more I can focus on strengthening my realm for the conflicts I will initiate. But I suppose eventually I will join some alliance system. Again, its too early to say.
Thanks for your input, its much appreciated. Hope you enjoy my AAR.:)

Wladyslaw Comes of Age and The Marriage Council

On January 1, 1442 King Wladyslaw III came of age. He was now 18, and though still quite youthful in both appearance and mentality, he was no longer a child. The boy-King was ready to reign of his own accord.
Early the next day, Wladyslaw called his council together to help him make a decision. "There is no reason for me to hesitate," he told his advisors, "I must marry, and bring forth a child to continue my work once I am passed." A buz ran through the council. This would be Poland's first political manuever since Wladyslaw II ended his alliance with the Grand Duke of Lithuania in 1421. Twenty-one years of Polish seclusion was about to come to an end. "Who, my good men, is our most powerful neighbor?"
The council discussed amongst themselves for a short while, and then the Chief Counciler, and Wladyslaw's former Protector, Marcin Trajnowski, spoke, "Truly it must be said that we have two neighbors who rightly equal one another in military and economic might. The first is The Kingdom of Hungary. The second, The Grand Duchy of Lithuania."
Wladyslaw pondered his council's words. He then asked, "How be our relations with these two courts?"
Again the council spoke among themselves, and again Trajnowski addressed the King, "There is no lack of love for us in the Lithuanian court, despite our harsh treatment of them in the past. They still feel the blood tie between our two nations, and perhaps feel a little dubious about their newfound friendship with the Teutonic Order. Things are not as well with the Hungarians. They feel highly insulted by our constant refusals to tie ourselves to them militarily, and have grown suspicious as to our motives. Though they do have a negative opinion of us, the situation is not hopeless. Indeed it seems that they await some sort of attempt at reconciliation on our part."
Again the King pondered. Finally he spoke, "There is no point to tie ourselves to the weaker nations of Christendom, nor to those who are remote to our sphere of influence. This is why I asked you to tell me of our strongest neighbors. I feel that it is better to save a crumbling friendship than to expend energies on one which yet flourishes. Therefore, I shall ride south tomorrow, to seek an audience with the King of Hungary, and try to arrange a union between myself and one of his ladies. A King needs a wife, and a state needs allies. This is how I see it, so has it been layed out before this council, so be it done."
Again the court buzzed as Wladyslaw took his leave of them. This was indeed a major event for the secluded Kingdom of Poland. The next day the King set out, and an advanced letter was sent to Pest to inform the Hungarian court of his visit. All of Krakow awaited anxiously the result of their young King's first diplomatic effort.

A Joining of Two Houses

King Wladyslaw reached Eger, the capital of Hungary, on January 17. There he was warmly recieved by King Zsigmond and his court. Wladyslaw spent a full month at the Hungarian court, during which time he successfully negotiated a union with Zsigmond's youngest daughter, sixteen year old Sophie. Wladyslaw, Zsigmond, and Sophie returned together to Krakow, where they were welcomed by the populace with great ado. Wedding preparations were made without greater troubles, and on April 1, 1442 King Wladyslaw III and Sophie Zsigmonda were wed at St. Michael's Cathedral. The date was to go down in history as the beginning of a refreshed friendship between the Kingdoms of Poland and Hungary, as well as the day Poland ended her seclution.

Sluby_Jana_Kaz.jpg

Last edited:
The Birth of An Heir: April 1, 1443

And so it came about that on the first anniversary of King Wladyslaw's marriage to Sophie Zsigmonda, she bore him an heir. The child's christening was postponed, so that King Zsigmond could be present for the event. But finally, on May 1, Wladyslaw's first child was christened Zygmunt at St. Michael's Cathedral. The child was healthy, and all was well, and harmony reigned throughout the realm.

The Danzig Sejm: January 11, 1445

In December of 1444 the King issued a call to the representatives to assemble at Danzig after Christmas. Through the first days of the new year, the one thousand steadily congregated at the great Polish port city. On January 11, the Sejm assembled outside the port. The King, standing upon the flag ship Orzel, addressed the assembly as follows:
"We have gathered here today to officialy inaugarate the launching of The Polish High Seas Fleet. This great project my father had started so many long years ago has finally been completed. Our Kingdom now has a great fleet of 20 warships, and is prepared to take her position as a naval power!"
This won the King great applause from the Assembly. The Archbishop of Poland then blessed the ships. After this, Wladyslaw swore in the PHSF's first Commodore, a man by the name of Houwaldt, who was unkown to most of those assembled to witness the historic event. The King then addressed the Assembly again, "Now that this great project has been completed, I have issued a new decree to the Royal Treasury. I am alarmed at the fact that our main strongpoints are inadequatly fortified. Indeed, in case of war, none of our forts could withstand a longer seige. This is intolerable. I have therefore ordered the expantion of fortifications around the cities of Danzig, Krakow, Poznan, Gniezno, Warsaw, Lublin, Lvov, and Czernowitz. Outer strength begins with inner security!"
Again, the Assembly loudly applauded their King. And indeed it was said throughout the realm after this Sejm that Poland truly had an exceptional King, who would lead his people to great things.

The King Tours His Realm: January-March, 1452

On January 17 Wladyslaw recieved word that the fortifications around the eight cities had been completed. Wishing to see the finished work for himself, he departed the court with his nine year old son Zygmunt and embarked on a grand tour of his realm. He was greatly pleased by what he saw, and wrote Sophie that indeed the cities now seemed truly invincible to siege.
Upon his return to Krakow in early March, Wladyslaw hurredly drafted his next royal decree. He ordered the formation of Poland's first standing army. This great army was to consist of 90,000 men-at-arms, 60,000 foot and 30,000 horse. They were to be divided equally into three permanent army groups, namely, Army Group Krakow, Army Group Danzig, and Army Group Warsaw. To all informed the message was clear: the final steps toward complete war preparedness were being taken. Soon, Poland would break the long standing peace with her neighbors.

Zjazd_Krolow.jpg

Last edited:
The Kingdom of Poland Goes To War With The Teutonic Order: May 4, 1454

On April 27 the Sejm gathered at Krakow upon the King's summons. He announced to them his intention to declare war upon The Teutonic Order. The Sejm met the idea with some reserve. However, he warmed his subjects to the idea. "This is the first step in the construction of the Polish Empire." he told them. "The Teutonic Order holds an important center of trade which would double our yearly budget if it were in our hands. This war has been in the making for thirty-five years. Do not think of defeat, for it is an impossibility. We have a great army, a powerful fleet, talented leaders and strong fortresses defending our strong-points. All has been carefully planned and considered. We will win this war, and in doing so will give the world a glimpse at our future glory. I encourage you all to join me in this campaign. Onward to victory!"
Great applause rang out from the fired up Sejm.
On May 4, 1454, the King sent an official declaration of war to The Grand Master, and began to personnaly lead Army Groups Danzig and Warsaw across the border. Throughout the months of May and early June, declerations of war streamed into the King's camp. Soon, Poland found herself alone in a war against not only The Teutonic Order, but against Savoy, Genoa, Milan, Aragon, and Brandenburg as well. Moral faltered throughout the realm, but the King seemed strangely sure of victory. And slowly, his men began to take on this strange confidence themselves. Only time would tell what would come of this conflict.

Interesting so far. I doubt that Allies of the Teutons will be of much help, I can't really see Aragon, Savoy or Milan being able to reach the polish frontier.