• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(8830)

Colonel
Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
Hello, and welcome to another Snow King production. This AAR was based on what readers
said they would like, so, unlike my previous AARs, it will be first person. Well, some of my
other ones were, but oh well. OK, I’ll shut up now. Boring intros are not to my taste. ;) So, on to
the vital stats.

Nation: Songhai
Scenario: GC
Goals: Survive, expand, and promote Islam.

Hello. I am a person you might consider mad, insane, or outright crazy. For I will tell you
something you may not believe. I am from the future. I was born in the late 1900's. No, seriously,
I am of that age. Now, some of you may have put down this story already, for the sheer insanity
of this claim, but I do have proof. You are reading a manuscript from Songhai, of the 19th
century. Yet it is in English. Yes, pure, untranslated English. I can speak Songhai’s language, of
course, but English is my native language. That is all the proof you should need.

I was always considered an eccentric person through my youth, but it grew even more so as I
aged. I was one of the first to try the experimental immortality drug invented by the scientists of
Earth. I also had a fascination with time travel. Both of the topics had mystics shaking in their
boots. To challenge God himself!

Thus, I became even more isolated from the outside world. As the scientists of Earth became
more and more secluded from the rest of the world, the less and less I liked my life. I was
discontent. Other scientists could not understand me, so I had few friends. I became incredibly
secluded, and worked extensively with time travel and parallel universes.

It was through this research that I was hurled back to the year 1419. I don’t know how, exactly,
but for some reason, I was displaced from the fabric of space time and came back to the year

I was lucky, to say the least. I had plenty of the immortality drug nearby, a weapon I had been
working on, and, of course, I was wearing my universal translator. Then, everything went blue.
Brilliantly blue. It almost blinded me. I shielded my eyes, and I realized what was happening.
The time machine was working, and I knew there was no way to avoid being thrown somewhere in
time.

Thinking fast, I gathered everything close to me; anything that could help me if I was thrown
back in time. Survival gear. Immortality drug. Laser. Translator. All of them I gathered close.
And was thrown back in time.

Hey, that was my idea! You stole it!:D

Actually, as I remember right, I sort of ..lended it to you:rolleyes:

Alexandru, I quote:

Well, Bulgaria, Cambodia, how about a nice game as Songhai? It has some good leaders in the first part of the game, nice position, can easily steal maps from Marocco....

....Posted in the thread asking for suggestions... ;) :D

I felt a sensation of weightlessness, and then a new scenery occupied my field of vision. I landed
gently after falling several inches. At least the machines safeties were working. Except for the
fact that people were transported without warning. Who knew how many more were to fall
through! But that was not my concern. I was in a desert. And a mean looking one at that. I had no
idea where I was. I tried the Universal GPS. It didn’t work. It didn’t even sense satellites. And
none of the space debris that humans had left in orbit. I was in the past. It was clear. But how far
back?

I did not know which way to walk, so I stayed, building a small portable shelter included in the
survival kit. Not much to say there. I waited until the sun hung much lower in the sky, and I
heard something. The clang of bells, not too far off. It came from directly ahead of me. Fate can
be interesting. So as night fell, I wrapped up the shelter, stuffed it in the pack, and trudged
forward. I topped several sand dunes. It was cold. Very cold. But I knew it was surely not much
farther.

I topped the crest of yet another dune, and there was the source of those bells I had heard earlier;
a city. A large city. There were many, many houses, larger buildings that looked like
administrative centers, other buildings, and in the center of the city, tall, domed, spired, and large
open air places that looked like markets.

I would have to wait another few hours.

The next, very anticipated day, I walked into the city, heading straight for the market. I drew
some stares, but not many, for I had been able to procure some Muslim clothes the day before.
On the way, it became apparent that this city was a large one, and that I was right; It was Muslim.
I came into the market, a bustling, crazy place with people all about, chatting, haggling, cursing,
beating each other to death... Just what you would expect in any marketplace.

I glanced around, and walked over to a promising looking dealer, looking like he knew
everything that went on in the town, looking very intelligent, and besides, he had a mode of
transport; camels. I came up to him. Setting the translator for the language of Arabic, I asked
him,

“Excuse me, I have made a long journey, and I have several questions, in addition to buying a
camel.”

He looked at me and said, “You are lucky that you came to me. Not many around here speak
Arabic. Do you come from Mecca?”

“N- err, Yes, yes I do,” If I could convince him that I came from a foreign and powerful city far
away...

“So what brings you to the farthest outpost of Islam?”
“Songhai?” I guessed, “Have a reached Songhai?

“No,” he said. “You are in Mali, but Timbuktu- the city you are in, by the way- Timbuktu is in
rebellion, and we hope to join the new and bright power of Songhai!”

“Very nice. And excuse me again for my seeming ignorance, but what is the date? You see, I lost
track across the desert, and-.”

“The date?” he asked laughing, “796 AH! Did you want a camel, by the way?”

“Yes, and directions to Songhai.” 796 AH. Muslim calendar, that would be 1418 CE!

“It will cost you.”

“A moment,” I said, feigning dropping something, and reach down, scooping up some sand. I
carefully placed it in the largest thing in the survival pack; a transmutation device. In a couple of
seconds, I had two handfuls of large gold coins. I place half of them on the table. “Is this
enough?”

“Yes, all of that shall cover it.”

“You can’t be serious,” I said, and spent a few minutes haggling. My pocket considerably lighter,
I mounted the camel (which fortunately I had learned to ride at some point or another), and set
out for Gao, the capital of Songhai.

Originally posted by Snow King
[B“A moment,” I said, feigning dropping something, and reach down, scooping up some sand. I
carefully placed it in the largest thing in the survival pack; a transmutation device. In a couple of
seconds, I had two handfuls of large gold coins. I place half of them on the table. “Is this
enough?”[/B]

Where can I get on of those things they sound handy :D ...... tho I must say that was one expensiv camel

Btw those this person have a name?

Hey! This is a funny piece of reading! ;) I'll follow this one! I don't have the time to read many AAR's, but this one is like reading a comic book! I really enjoyed the prologue! Don't write too fast, I have a tight schedule! Hehe :p

Rirre: Unfortunately, you'll have to wait a few hundred years for the transmutation device. And even then, they wouldn't release them to the public. People could make so much money the inflation would be through the roof. ;) :D

Ulyanov: Hmm, and I didn't even intend this to be a humorus story... Glad you enjoy it, anyway. :)

Mike Von Bek: Glad you like it.

Alexandru: I haven't gotten him yet in the game. It will take a while. But I do anticipate him eagarly. :)

Ever ridden a camel before? No? Trust me, it isn’t like in the movies. I had left Songhai, and as I
left the sights, smells and sounds of the city behind, it was just me and the camel. Oh, and the
couple dozens of people wanting me to hand out money. Who knew giving a large gold coin to a
single beggar means everybody would want one? *Sigh*. Back to camels.

As I rode on, I thought that riding a camel must be like riding a skunk. Both were smelly,
stubborn, god-for-nothing animals that are only good for riding across a desert (Well, the skunk isn't, but...). By nightfall,
though, I had gotten used to riding a camel, and I managed to disperse the beggars with a few
gold coins. I hope I didn’t raise the inflation of the kingdom too much.

So onward I rode, into the night, finally stopping for some rest. A few days like this, and I came
upon the city of Gao. I was disappointed. It was smaller than Timbuktu, and had no such air of
prosperity. I headed straight for the palace, drawing some stares, and whispers of “Is he an
Arab?” I wanted to shout “Heck no! I am just a scientist who got dumped into this lousy place
because of a random twist of bad luck!” But that would ruin my cover story.

I got to the palace, where two imposing guards stood. They looked imposing. Not really. They
looked kind of stupid, as a matter of fact. Well, to me at least. Swords don’t do too well against
lasers. I asked them, “May I please speak to the king?”

“No.”

Somewhat rude, I thought. “Would this convince you?” I cut a hole in the door with the laser.

They exchanged a look. The larger one said, “We changed our mind. You may see our glorious
and great king.”

They opened the doors, an unnecessary gesture, as the hole was big enough for a two meter tall
person. I walked in, and they directed me to the throne room. Pretty simple directions, as I was in
it. I asked the king for a private audience. We had some things to discuss...

Ah...a first person account from another time traveler...cool...

No, I didn't mean it like that. I found it amusing, like a cartoon. It reminds me of the Donald story where the time machine which is not fully developed takes Donald and his nephews to "Miklagard" - they have no control over where they are being taken, neither in time or place.

Good story this :D