• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Storey

StoreytellAAR
7 Badges
Mar 16, 2001
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
I was on my way to writing a story about a game where I play three different countries all with the same goal when I hit some problems that I still haven’t overcome. So in the meantime I’ve decided to do one on a game I played several weeks ago. The goal is to form an alliance with specific countries in mind and have them all in the alliance at the same time. Now I know that’s more than enough to stir the blood and fire the imagination but I want you to take a deep breath and calm down. The style is whimsical, which I find easier to write than the more historic format of the three-country game that is fighting me right now. This story is a cross of IWD2 and EUII with a touch of Tolkien thrown in for spice.

Settings Normal-Normal.

Chapter One

A Bard’s tale.

The day had been especially harsh with a bitter cold wind bellowing from the north filled with small sharp hailstones that bit like stinging insects in a feeding frenzy on anyone who had been unfortunate enough to be caught outside earlier in the day. As the day wore on the wind died down but the temperature also fell until not only the snow on the ground had a crunch to it when you walked but even the air had taken on that same sharp snapping quality. Any man working outside that day soon found his mustache covered with a layer of ice resembling a frozen waterfall in a small stream.

The small town of Everhovel sat nestled in the middle of a wide valley surrounded by tall grim mountains, which were covered with a white mantle of snow and ice giving some of the more fanciful inhabitants in town visions of regal kings gazing down on their menial subjects. The inhabitants of this not so picturesque town were already settling in that late afternoon when a wandering Bard passed through the town’s main gate. The word of his arrival soon spread throughout the town. Now even though the town was somewhat small it still managed to boast of a dozen taverns that satisfied the thirsty needs of the working men of the town and close in farms. When the news got around that the Bard was returning from his travels a bidding war erupted among the taverns to see where he would go to weave his colorful stories.

Tobi the owner of the tavern called "The Three Legged Pony", won the bidding war and was busy getting the tavern ready for the first nights performance. The room was already half-filled that afternoon when he tapped another keg that he had just rolled behind the bar. He smiled and hummed a merry tune as he worked thinking of the money to be made from his thirsty customers that night. Thinking of money always brought a smile to Tobi's mouth and a twinkle to his eyes. A yell from the back of the room broke his revelry.

"Can’t we get some heat in this room Tobi? It’s bad enough that we have to pay for watered down ale but to have to freeze our nuts off at the same time is too much!"

Tobi looked to the far end of the dim room but couldn’t be sure who had yelled at him. He grumbled under his breath but lumbered toward the fireplace where he bent over and tossed another log onto the smoldering fire. The resulting explosion of ash and sparks caused him to lean away from the fire and swear.

"Damn waste of heat on these so called customers if you ask me. But then no one ever asks me do they?"

He wiped the sweat off his face and the back of his neck with a dirty damp rag and glanced at the loud patrons at the other end of the room. The lamps over head gave off little light so he had to rely on the light from the fire to see who was in the Tavern. He could see some of the regulars who always bought a single tankard of ale each night. Yes, sure enough there was Bladhock and Frannocok. They sat there at their tables with both of their rough meaty hands firmly placed on each side of their tankards nursing at it like they were sucking on the nipple of life itself and each sip was to be savored for as long as possible. But he also saw a few new faces and smiled at the thought of the people coming to hear the Bard’s stories that night and the thirst they would have. He hummed to himself as he stirred the fire one more time before turning and waddling back to the bar. People kept drifting in for the next hour and a steady order for ale and what passed for food kept Tobi busy. Finally just as the sun was winking at the town one last time from over the frozen mountaintops before disappearing until the next day’s dawn the door opened and there stood an old man wrapped in a long rainbow colored robe. Before anyone could yell for him to close the damn door he entered, turned, and slammed the door shut with a dramatic sweep of his arm.

Not only could he tell a tale with the best of them but also he knew how to make an entrance!

Woohoo! A new AAR from Joe. :cool:

Sounds like an interesting premise for the AAR. I can hardly wait...

Originally posted by heagarty
So, I'm tamping down the pipeweed, looking forward to the story and ready to go, and then it hits me....what is IWD2? :confused:

Thank you MrT, Gaijin de Moscu and Valdemar for dropping by. Oh and you too heagarty.:D Ice Wind Dale 2 (IWD2) is another computer game (RPG), which was the catalyst for this story. I wrote a short story about the game (IWD2) and it caused a synapse to fire somewhere in my brain and I flashed on this particular EUII game I played some months back. Before I knew it I had written a dozen pages so I thought I should at least try to finish it.;)

Joe

Mmm... this looks good in the frozen wasteland that is Norway. :)

I'm looking forward to this one, Joe.

Originally posted by Storey
Thank you MrT, Gaijin de Moscu and Valdemar for dropping by. Oh and you too heagarty.:D Ice Wind Dale 2 (IWD2) is another computer game (RPG), which was the catalyst for this story. I wrote a short story about the game (IWD2) and it caused a synapse to fire somewhere in my brain and I flashed on this particular EUII game I played some months back. Before I knew it I had written a dozen pages so I thought I should at least try to finish it.;)

Joe

Gotcha! Never got to that one, though I completed the first game of the series (name escapes me) and bought the expansion (Tales of the Sword Coast?) but never traded up.

I'm guessing it's pretty popular with all the scattered references I see around here to Ranger Minsc and Boo.

Enough of my ramblings, carry on!

Originally posted by heagarty
Gotcha! Never got to that one, though I completed the first game of the series (name escapes me) and bought the expansion (Tales of the Sword Coast?) but never traded up.

I'm guessing it's pretty popular with all the scattered references I see around here to Ranger Minsc and Boo.

Enough of my ramblings, carry on!

Actually you're thinking of Baldur's Gate and it's excellent sequel Shadows of Amn.

Icewind Dale is a different series using the same engine.

personally of all the Infinite Engine games I liked Planescape the best.

The various conversations died down as everyone followed the old man with their eyes as he negotiated his way around the chairs and tables to the fireplace where he pulled up a chair and gratefully eased his tired old bones down. Before he could wave to Tobi for a tankard of ale the crowd had started moving their chairs and tables over to the fireplace where they surrounded the Bard in a wide semicircle of anticipation and friendly chatter. No one pulled too close to the Bard in fear of distracting him from his task for the night.

The old man didn’t pay them no mind as he gratefully accepted his first tankard of ale from Tobi. He noticed that it wasn’t quite filled to the top and he threw a slight frown at Tobi’s back as that mountain of a man squeezed through the tables and chairs while taking orders for more ale the entire way. The friendly rumble of conversation continued to swirl around the old man who sat with one ear tuned to the crowd and his mouth tuned to the ale. He measured the crowd with the knowledge gained from a lifetime of telling stories to kings with their royal courts and peasants with their runny noses. He sighed. Tonight it would be the peasants that received the benefit of his skills. He would have preferred kings but he knew when to take what he could get and not complain. He never decided on which tall tale to tell until he felt the mood of the crowd and the ambience of the room. Tonight they were a restive group; shifting in their chairs and stamping their feet, a constant changing tapestry that the old man was helping to weave by using his body language to heighten the tension that was building in the room. A dip in the shoulder here a raised eyebrow there sent messages to the crowd that held them at bay. Such control was only achieved by a few of the Bards that roamed the northern coast of this frozen land.

After a long drag on his ale the Bard decided that it was time to start the night’s adventure.

"Well friends what will it be tonight?"

As if a floodgate had been thrown open to an over flowing dam of dreams and hopes the crowd started yelling for their favorite stories. Stories about dragons and witches or heroes saving heroines. Some of the more drunk called for stories of heroines saving heroes to the hoot of their less drunken companions. Some yelled for mighty battles of good against evil while others called for tales of treasure and love. Harsh words started followed by shoving as the crowd swayed back and forth in it eagerness to get the Bard to tell their favorite story. Suddenly the Bard yelled out.

"ENOUGH!"

The crowd froze where they were. Silence reared up its ugly head and devoured the room in one swallow. The only movement in the entire room was when the dust that had been stirred up in the commotion started drifting down to rest once more on the rough hewed wooden floor.

"Tonight you’ll hear of the exploits of the mighty warrior PSKOV and his adventures against the evil one, who’s name must not be said out loud."

The roar of the crowd made the rafters shake, which caused even more dust to take to the air where it snowed down on the crowd settling on their heads and shoulders. Chairs and benches were scooted along the floor making screeching noises that were drowned out by the bellows of the men calling for more ale and loaves of bread and great hunks of cheese. Followed by roars for beef and then pork. Even calls for rabbit and chicken could be heard from the hungry patrons that night. Tobi was already among them with half a dozen tankards in each hand as he grinned from ear to ear. Stopping here with ale and taking an order for more from there, he crisscrossed the room like a dog tracking the scent of a harried hare. He paused to set another tankard before the Bard and winked at him before hurrying back to the bar. The old Bard raised the tankard to his lips and noticed that this one was filled to the top. He smiled fondly at the retreating figure of Tobi and took a sip of the amber delight. Smacking his lips after his sip he began his tale.

Last edited:
I agree Arilou that Planescape was the best.;)

Thanks for coming by Bourgeoisie. Stay near the fire but not too close to the Bard. He's a cantankerous fellow.:D

Joe

Good vs. Evil. Good. Well, the setup, I mean. Personally, I tend to lean towards "good" myself. :)

Good stuff Storey. Look forward to reading the adventures of mighty PSKOV:)

As a keen RPGer you have me hooked with your setting, I really liked the initial description of Everhovel. Nicely done!

What's that you say? the Bard's tale is about to start, oh..I'll keep quiet then;)

Last edited:
Secret Master: I’m Glad your taking the time to read this. Yes Planescape had an amazing story to it.

Director: Funny thing is I think of myself not as a writer but as a story teller, which is why I’m enjoying the setting for this Tall Tale.

Norgesvenn: Thanks for dropping by. I’m still working on your murder mystery in the HoI forum. (Hint, hint for everyone to check it out.)

Jarlen av Juks: Yup the adventure is about to start. Lets see now where were we….

At the back of the tavern in a quiet corner sat a large solid built man who watched the Bard and his audience with little interest. The weapons he carried and the common cut of his clothes showed that he wasn’t a farmer, merchant or noble. No this was a warrior by the look of him and a dangerous one at that. He sat with his back to the wall watching the enormous figure of Tobi waddle back to the bar eager to fill the orders he had taken and those still being called out that pelted his retreating back. The warrior reached out and took another drink of his ale and winced from the pain in his left shoulder. He rubbed his shoulder while remembering how the Goblin axe had just missed doing more serious damage.

He sat back again and lit his clay pipe filled with the last of his favorite pipe weed and sighed with his first sweet intake. It brought back fond memories of the farm of Flambard Tooks where the pipe weed was grown and how he had come by the rare sweet weed. The crowd hooting and hollering about something the Bard had just said rudely brought him back to the present. He mentally shook himself and starting thinking over the last several days in Everhovel while he surveyed the main room of the Three legged Pony.

He had arrived in town earlier in the week just in time to help the soldiers at the main gate withstand an onslaught of marauding Goblins and had made quite a name for himself because of his fighting ability. By looting the bodies he’d made a profit in money and armor that he desperately needed. But his success had led to over confidence and that almost cost him his life. He followed his early success by volunteering to clean out the town of the nefarious Goblins, for a price. The town’s mayor agreed to his price and all had gone well at first. In fact all that remained for him to do was purge the main warehouse in town of the last of the Goblins and he would be done. He bravely, or foolishly, depending of your point of view entered the warehouse and found it full of jabbering Goblins that surrounded him and even though he managed to kill two of them the rest had swarmed over him and had almost succeeded in killing him. He rubbed his shoulder again as he continued to watch the patrons of the Three Legged Pony. He knew that he needed help if he was going to be able to finish off the Goblins but who was going to supply that help?

A loud shout from the far side of the tavern brought his attention to the crowd surrounding the Bard. Pskov frowned in their direction and slowly shook his head at the prospects of any of them helping in anything other than drinking and boasting of battles never really fought or women never really bedded. He continued looking around the room and saw a stranger sitting at a table who showed promise. He was small in size and had several knives attached to his belt as well as a short bow close at hand on the table. His hood was only partially pulled back revealing a sliver of a crafty if somewhat insolent face. The stranger sat nursing his tankard of ale just as he had been doing for the last hour, which perhaps indicated that he was short of funds and would be looking for work.

Pskov looked two tables farther along the wall from where the stranger sat and saw a large fierce looking Barbarian. The dark blue tattoos on his face indicated that he came from one of the tribes that inhabited the mountains far to the south. Seeing him this far north surprised Pskov. It would seem that the rumors he had been hearing of troubles down south must have some truth to them or maybe this barbarian was on the run for some reason. Either way he would be a formidable ally in a fight.

Pskov however made up his mind that the small stranger was worth checking out first and was thinking of approaching him when he glanced to the opposite wall and saw a figure that had escaped his notice up till now. He was surprised how he had missed him but now he focused on the shadowy figure and was taken aback when he saw that by his appearance he was most likely a Wizard. He wore a simple gray rode without any markings and a short conical hat with a wide brim. He had just finished a frugal meal and was now sitting back and relaxing. As Pskov watched the Wizard filled a strange clay pipe with pipe weed. The pipe stretched from the Wizard’s lips clear down to the floor where the pipe bowl rested on his foot. With a wiggle of a finger he lit the pipe and started blowing smoke rings of different colors and sizes that hazed in the air before dissipating in the flickering light from the fire and oil lamps in the dim room. Pskov sat back and watched the three strangers while he tried to make up his mind on who looked best able to help him in the coming battle.

Last edited:
He sat back again and lit his clay pipe filed with the last of his favorite pipe weed

Some might not approve... ;)

Pskov is definitely a man that I take a liking to. Who will be his best helper, I wonder. :)

I can only repeat what Valdemar said. Good story. But then again, we all expected that, Joe. :)

Valdemar: High praise indeed.:) Now lets see if I can keep it going at that level.;)

Norgesvenn: I thought you might like Pskov. Now I have a scene in my head where he loses his pipe and has to roll his tobacco in parchment to smoke. Come to think of it I did that myself many years ago during a hiking trip. Not the smoothest smoke I ever had.:D

Joe