• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sidney

Texan by Choice
22 Badges
Jun 20, 2000
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
1558-1559
In light of my recent travails with Poland I send two letters of introduction and a personal gift to the Hungarians trying to rebuild our relations and gain access to their alliance. The results were not what I would have hoped. March Portugal, Venice, the Order, France and the Hanse go to war with Spain, Poland, Cyrencia, Georgia, the Knights and Bohemia. Good news, distractions all around and the hope that the Hanse can seize Western Pommerania. My great displeasure with the role of the Holy Roman Emperor is evidenced as thousands of papist Spaniards tramp across the Electorate. In October, my efforts are rewarded as I am able to (much to my surprise given the poor results of my diplomatic missions) join the Hungarians, with Austria, and Moldavia. I feel safe now. I needed this alliance badly
The Hanse have apparently imported generals from Russia. A 92000 man siege army failed to take the impregnable fort in Western Pommerania. They attempted to storm the fortress twice and failed. By May, the Hanse have lost Eastern Pommerania to Poland. In July, Spain sues for peace with France in exchange for 250d, Artois and Luxembourg. In September, the Order gains Welinka from Poland in a peace agreement. The further battering of Poland is much welcomed.
The idiot Russians and their eternal Pskovian and Danish allies once more go to war with Kazan and get nothing in a 6 month war.
Portugal acquire Estradmura from Spain as the Spanish Empire goes into a slow decline. In August the Hungarian alliance falls and the Austrians take up the lead. My relations with the eastern of the Habsburgs is none-to-good. I am once more left out in the cold and forced to scramble. December, England, Poland, and Bohemia go to war with Scotland.
March I send a letter of introduction to Saxony and in April Saxony invites me into an alliance with Hanover and Thuringen. All Protestant, all contiguous this may be the most useful alliance I’ve ever been in.
1564-1566
Some minor diplomatic efforts but nothing serious occurs.
April the alliance expires and I recast as the leader. Saxony joins, as does Thuringen and Prussia. Hanover has no allies but rejects my effort. One more time the Russians and friends (including Sweden this time) go to war with Kazan. March the Prussians declare war on Poland, the Knights, Bohemia, Georgia, England and Spain. Saxony declines to go to war, Thuringen accepts but can not reach the conflict. I have a terrible dilemma- honor my alliance and get into a war that I really can’t win or decline to aid them. In the end, I decide there is little aid I can bring. The Prussians foolishly started this war and are now left alone to end it. The result won’t be good. The alliance dissolves and is recast in November in the same incarnation without the stupid Prussians.
April Persia and Iraq declare war on Turkey. This is the best hope in a long time to roll the Turks back. Later that month the hopeless Prussians are annexed by Poland. I now need another ally on the Baltic front vs Poland and the Order is my best hope. June, Russia actually gives Kazan 96d to guarantee peace. I wish I had such helpless neighbors.
Poland, Moldavia and Bohemia engage in a brief unproductive war with Crimea that ends in a white peace.
Venice, Portugal, the Order, France, Navrra and the Hanse declare war on Turkey and her allies Savoy and Genoa. The latter are in grave danger with the French looking to storm down the Italian boot. Venice’s attempts to recoup their losses to the Turks keeps hurting me as these little wars keep the Order tied down in a useless alliance.
July, Spain annexes the Aztec Empire- and I hear tales of vast wealth being gained well. August, Poland, the Knights, Bohemia, Georgia, England, Spain and Moldavia declare war on Turkey, Savoy and Genoa. I’m tempted to strike at the Poles in Danzig while they are occupied but the aggression is too bold. My trepidation is well used- the Poles make peace in December- again. They are the most untrustworthy allies.
April, I have a massive fortification effort in Berlin that creates a fortress to match the one in Kustrin. The Poles must have read my mind and in December declare war on me along with Moldavia.
I send Johan Georg to Silesia and dispatch Halle to Danzig with my siege train. George (39000) loses a fight with the Polish-Moldavian (42000) forces and retreats on Kustrin. Oh Alicbidaes where are you! The siege of Silesia begins. The siege force swells to 100000 men and Silesia falls by August. Poland demands peace for 250d which I take. This is a bitter lesson and I am greatful not to have lost Silesia. The size and scope of the Polish forces stunned me. My standing forces are too small and the Electorate does not have the luxury of having a deep nation and many forts to hide behind. I decide that the standing army will consist of two 35000 man field forces (infantry and cavalry) and one 13000 man siege train of artillery and infantry. The building will begin immediately. It will be a burden but one that must be borne.
April another Venetian war, this time Venice, France, the Hanse, Portugal, and the Order fight versus Poland, the Knights, Bohmeia, England, Spain, Moldavia and Georgia. In September the annual Russia, Danish, Pskovian war against the Kazan begins anew. In October, my rebuilding gets a boost as 6600 troops appear in Brandenburg.
April Great news, Russia has taken Lipetsk from Kazan. It took 75 years but better late than never. In December, France gains Franche-Compte from Spain. Spain has suffered some stunning reversals of late.
1575-1576
A minor war: Lorraine and Saxony against Palatinaat and Kleves. The war ends in 5 months with the Palatinat paying 250d to Lorraine. In August, the Hanse takes Danzig from Poland in a peace treaty. This is stunning news! The access to the ocean that I want, and a vital center of trade, is now held, not by my powerful neighbor, but as part of a split kingdom that is substantially weaker. War with the Hanse becomes an objective- but not right now.
1577-1578
March another war that has lingerd sees England paying France 170d and Kent for a peace treaty. In August, our diplomats in Spain scored a minor victory by stealing Spanish maps of the world. The information is useful but mostly academic at this time. Late in the month Prussia declares it’s independence from Poland. There is some sentiment to ally with our long-time friends but I have no desire to involve ourselves in a losing cause. In September, Turkey, Savoy, Genoa, Helvetica and the Papal States declare war on Poland. The move confirms my view that the papacy is a tool of the devil- for what true Christian could ally with the Turk? In December, we complete a royal marriage with the Netherlands.
In April we complete a royal marriage with Thuringen and see that Prussia has been re-annexed by Poland. In June our efforts to vassilize Thuringen fails. In August the Russians, Danes and Pskovians go to war with the Kazan- but this time the Kazan finally has an ally in the Golden Horde.
May, Poland, Tunisia, Georgia the Knight and Moldavia declare war on the Crimea, Algeirs and Morrocco. That same month we complete a royal marriage with Sweden. The war lasts a brief period as the Poles make peace with Crimea in September for the status quo but in November the Poles are humiliated by giving 105d and Bessarabia to the Turks.
1581-1582-1583
May 1582, Kustrin is reclaimed for the Lutheran faith. The Calvinst herasy has mostly been driven from our lands.
May 1583, the Hanse, France, Portugal and Navarre declare war on Enlgand, the Ntheralnds, Swden, Hessen, Hannover and Scotland.
1584-1585-1586
Febuary, we have finally trained enough Arquebusers to make more widespread use of these weapons. They appear to have more use than I initially thought. In June, the Hanse cedes Bremen to the Netherlands in a peace treaty. The Hanse are a doomed state, it is just a question of who will feast on the meat of the state and who will be left with the bones. We shall not allow another monarch to take control of our Baltic front. In June and July the Russian get 97d from the Golden Horder but get only a white peace from Kazan.
In December, we begin our anti-Hanse campaign but sending them a letter of insult. We follow that letter with another in early 1585 and in 1586 we issue a claim on their lands using claims from the 9th century. The claims are, granted, mostly groundless but should serve to agistate the Hanse.
May, the Hanse, Fr, Portugal and Navarre declare war on the Electorate. Saxony and Thuringen both cpme to my aid. Interestingly, there is no major Hanse army available to fight me. I dispatch my sige army to Danzig and the siege of Danzig begins in August. In November, my allied armies begin a siege in Western Pommerania. My field armies have not budged yet and there is still no Hanse field army challenging me. Novmener, there is a revolt in Silesia that is crushed by one of my field armies in December.
March, Danzig falls and my siege force falls back to Brandenburg. I am content to wait for Western Pommerania to fall and make peace to gain Danzig. Western Pommerania falls in late November.
January, I sign a peace treaty with the Hanse for Danzig and 100d. The total war cost me 2000 men lost- a scandalously low figure. No one from the Hanse’s allies showed their faces during the war.
In November, I sent a letter of introduction to former ally Hungary whose current alliance with Austria will expire in November 1590.
March, I send another letter to the Hungarians. I enter a royal marriage with the Order. I would still love to pry them from their alliance with Venice but have had no luck so far. In November, I leave the Saxony, Thuringen alliance and create a new alliance with the Hungarians. I have few fears in north/central Germany I need the Saxonys and Thuringens to deal with. The Hanse are goners so my main fear swing back to the Poles in the east. At the worst, I plan to try and re-integrate Wurttenburg, Saxony and Thuringen into the alliance with Hungary later.
July, we have aquirred the technology and craftsment to build galleons. There is quite a bit of pressure from the Danzig merchants to create an Electoral navy, but this is something I have no interest in. The Electorate can not be both a land and sea power like France or Spain. We will be like England, masters of one realm. They may have the sea and we shall take the land.
Also in July a bizarre series of wars begins- Poland, Georgia, Moladvia and Parma declare war on Turkey and Wallachia. Later that same month, Sweden, the Netherlands, Scotland and England declare war on the Polish alliance. The Poles show their usual persistence by making peace with the Turk in October of the same year. In Decemeber, we begin expanding the fortress in Danzig.
In may, Bohemia, Saxony, Thuringen and Hanover declare war on Austria, Bavaria, Milan and Helvetica. It is a foolish gamble and one that will not pay off. In December, Thuringen vanishes from the map- annexed by Austria. I regret the loss of the Thuringens as they had been useful allies at various times. In June of this year I added Wurrtemburg to my alliance. I now have 3 unconnected powers in alliance. This is not an ideal situation.
March, I launch a trade embargo aginst Sweden. Their continued efforts to control trade in Danzig were unacceptable. I do not fear and attack from the Swedes as they are ina war with Poland. That war proves shorter than I’d hopes. The Swedes sign a white peace with the Poles in May of this year.
I continue my merchant war by launching a trade embargo of the Hanse in April. They are depleted and still not showing a field army. I can not forsee a war they would launch. I need to have my foresight adjusted. In May, the Hanse declares war on me and brings their Portuguese, Ventian, French, and Teutonic Order allies against me. Effectively, I am alone in this war since the other powers have no contact with my allies. I hope to move quickly and end this war quickly. Mecklenburg is under siege by August. In September, Kustrin’s nobles once more supply funds for a major fortification effort. The fortress is now the largest in all of Europe! November, Mecklenburg falls and the siege army marches to Eastern Pommerania. Why not advance on Holstein? The Hanse show no signs of resistance and I fear French intervention and feel they are far more likely to land a force in Holstein rather than try a send a force into the Baltic.
June, after waiting the winter in Madgeburg, the siege army arrives and begins investing Eastern Pommerania in June. In July, Bohemia gains Thuringen and 250d from Austria in a peace treaty. The irony is that our control of Silesia was built off the beliefs that the Bohemians were on the verge of destruction in the 1490’s and now they expand! In September, Eastern Pommerania falls and I defeat a mixed Portugeuse/Navvra force in Danzig of 11000. They lose 11000 men, cut off from their transports, and I a shocking 6000. In December the same sized force arrives and against an army of 29000 drives my army out of Danzig- with light looses on both sides. Danzig is besieged but this war is winding down.
January, I gain Eastern Pommerania and 50d from the Hanse in exchange for peace. While the war was a win and a fairly easy one I am very concerned about the efforts of my army in Danzig where they both time suffered at the hands of a much smaller force.
In Febuary, the Ottomans annex Tripoli and late in the year Russia, Denmark and Pskov once more decide to fight the Kazan.
April, I am fortunate the war aginst theHanse was easy because Poland, Georgia, Parma and Moldavia declare war on the Electorate. Hungary and Wurttemburg come to my aid- although the Wurttemburgers can do nothing. This event is why I wanted the Hungarian allies and now this alliance will hopefully serve me well. Even better, by the end of April the Polish alliance is at war with Turkey, Wallachia and Astrakahn. By July my siege force has moved into Posen. There are no Polish field armies present, they apparently are all facing down the Turk and are also engaged facing the Hungarians. Poland’s situation deteriorates more when the Crimea and some useless allies declare war on her in November. By December, Posen is in my hands.
While the war rages I arrange another royal marriage with Wurrtemburg. In that same month, my siege force moved forward into Mazovia. The winter march proved not to strenuous on my forces. In April, the Crimea has elminated the Georgian allies of Poland from the war and gained 250d. In July, Wallachia gains 250d from Poland in exchange for peace and the Crimea settles for white peace with Poland. In July, Mazovia falls into my hands. I have a great bargaining position with the Poles. My position deteriorates when Johan Georg passes in November. The Electorate lacks any good generals to replace him and now I do not want to risk a field battle.
January, I strike peace with Poland for 200d. I could have taken Posen but after integrating Danzig and Eastern Pommerania I fear trying to add another province- especially one that is Catholic. Fortunately, the entire war cost me about 2000 men. Our new sea coast has created a vocal colonial lobby at court and to appease them we send an expedition of colonist to Louga on the western coast of Africa. The area is potentially rich with ivory. The cost of outfitting such an expedition is enormous. The colony is established in July and we send a follow up group of settlers almost immediately. In July, Venice, the Hanse, Portugal, France, and the Order go to war with Turkey. I don’t know long France can suffer this alliance. The crippled former trading powers of Venice and the Hanse have started too many wars that do not serve France’s interests. The war is a brief affair and ends in September with no changes to the status quo. In November, our follow up wave of colonist fail to arrive in Louga and are presumed lost at sea. That same month the Turks annex Moldavia. If something does not change, we may have to fight the Turk soon.