• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Deaghaidh

High King
73 Badges
May 1, 2001
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
0810-rasta-lion.jpg

Heart of Africa:
A visitor's guide to modern Ethiopia

50485995.jpg

C 1934, Random House Publishing, New York, NY​

OOC Welcome

This is going to be a true after action report, as I had no intention to AAR this game until it came out so well. Therefore, I decided to use the format of a guidebook for western (specifically American) tourists written at the end of the game, showing off "modern" Ethiopia's achievements. So rather than a narrative that starts in 1835, we'll almost be doing the opposite.

A major influence is a recently republished book called "Advise for American servicemen in Iraq during WWII" which I highly recommend, as it's a short but fascinating time capsule of sorts.

I have ADD and bipolar disorder so I apologize in advance for what will likely be an inconsistent update schedule. :D

Welcome to Ethiopia!​

The Empire of Ethiopia is a land of staggering contrasts. It is one of the oldest civilizations on Earth, with a royal family that traces itself back to King Solomon, but it is also a relative newcomer on the world scene. It is a land of ancient traditions and also a place of dynamic change. The land itself is a mixture of towering mountains, deep valleys, parched deserts and humid jungles.

Perhaps the most important thing for a traveler to remember is that too see and experience all Ethiopia has to offer would be the work of a lifetime.

Geography

V2_MAP_ETH_1934814_2.jpg

The Empire of Ethiopia is one of the largest countries on the planet. It stretches from the Congo Delta to the Red Sea, from the cataracts of the Nile to Lake Tanganyika.

Broadly speaking, the Empire has two distinct parts. First there is the "Old Empire", consisting of the Ethiopian Highlands and the Sudan. This part of the Empire has been united under the Emperors' authority the longest, and is the center of modern, civilized life in Africa. The New Empire consists of those territories gained after around 1890. Ethiopians consider it their duty to lift these territories up, in time making them peers of the Old Empire. but for now these territories remain mostly wild and undeveloped.

That is not to say that there are not parts of the Old Empire that are untouched by modernity. There are also islands of sophistication and comfort within the New Empire as well. The city of Nairobi, less than 40 years old, has blossomed into an ideal jumping off point for Safari trips. But in general, the further a traveler gets from the Old Empire the more primitive conditions are likely to be. While the local people are usually friendly, we advise anyone but experienced explorers and mountaineers to stick close to the major railways when traveling in the New Empire.

Neat.

Although I'm surprised the Chad and the Kameroons were conquered before Somalia was.

Neat.

Although I'm surprised the Chad and the Kameroons were conquered before Somalia was.

The main factor in that is the French, as you can see in this full world map:

V2_MAP_ETH_1934814_3.jpg

They took a rather aggressive interest in my neighborhood, which I will probably elaborate on.

History/guide book! I like.:)

Massawa: the Empire's Golden Port

article4_QUEEN_REDSEA_7_571.jpg

Since it's conquest from the Khedive of Egypt in 1853, most trips to Ethiopia have begun in the Red Sea port of Massawa. Travel to and from Massawa is easier than ever, with the Suez Canal shortening trips from Europe and an extensive rail network leading all the way to the Atlantic.

fo_bizuteria_grecka1

Shopping aficionados won't want to miss out on Massawa's famous jewelers. Gold strikes in the last century drew skilled goldsmiths from across Africa and the Mideast. Now window shopping in the jewelery district has become a popular pastime for tourists.

But Massawa is most famous for the decisive battle fought here in 1862. In the 1860s, several European powers attempted to 'contain' a rising Ethiopia. In June of 1862 over 50,000 elite French troops landed and tried to seize the newly conquered town from a garrison of 30,000 Imperial troops. Over the next two months, as the Massawa garrison held out against the French attacks, reinforcements from across the empire arrived to launch a counterattack. By August, the French were cut off from reinforcements and water, surrounded and massively outnumbered, and on August 12 the French forces formally surrendered.

battle_of_adowa.gif

A famous painting of the Battle of Massawa. Infamously, the artist depicted the French flag backwards.

August 12 remains a national holiday in the modern Empire, because the victory has an importance beyond the military. The decisive defeat led to the end of the War of Ethiopian Containment. By defeating one of the world's leading military powers, Ethiopia had put a final end to any colonial designs European powers might have held. Captured French soldiers returned home with tales of Ethiopia's impressive civilization, and several French officers wrote books describing their experience. It is only a slight exaggeration to say that before Massawa, Europeans saw Ethiopians as savages to be exploited, while after Massawa they saw Ethiopia as a civilization in its own right.

Should you happen to be in Massawa on the anniversary, you won't want to miss the annual celebrations around the Triumphant Obelisk, erected in 1930. The great square around the Obelisk hosts a parade, with music and colorful marchers from across the Empire.

Last edited:
I find Photobucket way more reliable than Angelfire.

30K Ethiopians vs. 50K French is unbelievable by the standards of the day!

I find Photobucket way more reliable than Angelfire.

30K Ethiopians vs. 50K French is unbelievable by the standards of the day!

Started at 30k v 50k, by the end it was more 120k v 50 k, as I took armies from the provinces in every neighboring province and set them marching to Massawa as soon as the french landed.

Tiny pic is a pretty good image host aswell, unlimited storage as far as I can tell (I'm approaching 400 images) and an adequate limit of about 5 mb per pic.

Also... moar. :D

Of course Paradox screwed one thing up in Vicky. Ethiopis didn't exist as a unified state in 1836. Was divided in rivalling petty kingdoms until 1855 when it was united by Tewodoros. Of course Ethiopia is always interesting since it's one of the really hard nations in both Vicky 1 and 2.

No bisected crustaceans eh?

yourworstnightm; said:
Of course Paradox screwed one thing up in Vicky. Ethiopis didn't exist as a unified state in 1836. Was divided in rivalling petty kingdoms until 1855 when it was united by Tewodoros. Of course Ethiopia is always interesting since it's one of the really hard nations in both Vicky 1 and 2.

Ethiopia did exist in 1836, in fact it had existed from sometime in the 1270's AD the King of Kings (the actual title of the Ethiopian monarchs) of ethiopia lost authoriy over many of the empires outlying provinces progressively from the 16th century, tewodoros merely recentralized the state and regained actual control over areas that were already part of Ethiopia. But anyway Ethiopia existed continually from the 1270's AD

edit: sahle dengel I was emperor/king of kings in 1836

Last edited: