• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Serek000

Major
8 Badges
Feb 15, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
This CK-DVIP AAR will take the place of my failed Medelpad aar, killed by saved game issues. I've learned my lesson - autosave will be on for this one.

Anyways, I'll be playing as Connacht. My goals are simple, but should be fun to try to attain:

1. Keep the family alive. Self explanatory, and essentially the goal of any CK game ever.

2. Make Mayo a better, richer province than Dublin by 1200 A.D.

3. Prevent any one Irish duchy (Munster, Leinster, Connacht) from having more than 5 or 6 provinces in Ireland

This AAR will be styled like that of the late Medelpad project. It should get underway within the next few weeks.

Wish me luck!

Good luck! :)

I hop on this train too then...

January 7, 1067

Hello Diary,

My name is Aed O'Conchuir, Duke of Connacht and Count of Mayo. If I had to describe myself in three words I would describe myself as just, cautious, and religious. Despite what I tell my wife and friends, I am 52 years old, but don't look a day over 30. I have a lovely wife who has been with me for decades as a close friend and adviser. Once upon we were lovers, too, but women age less gracefully than we men do...

Anyways, here is a picture of myself:
fkxpwh.jpg

I have a wonderful son, Ruaidri. He's 27 years old and handsome as can be. He's a pretty bland person, though, but hopefully he'll become more interesting as he ages. He's living the bachelor's life right now, but I'll be working hard to convince him to get married within the next few years. Being single and having all sorts of wild flings is fun (or so I've been told - I was married at age 17, so I was single for all of one year, and spent most of that year studying at a monastery), but he's old enough that he needs to work on building a family. He's my heir apparent to Connacht, and quite rightfully so, as he's got quite a capable mind, especially when it comes to military matters.

Here's a picture of the strapping young lad:
205tfgg.jpg

Together, my son and I are top dogs here in the Duchy of Connacht. My demesne is only one province, which is quite alright for me, but sometimes Ruaidri gets antsy for some land of his own. Anyways, my hill-fort capital is in the County of Mayo, a delightful seaside region where the men are honest and fair and the maidens are beautiful and full of life.

I do have a vassal, but I'm not really sure I like him. Sometimes he seems sneaky, like he's only putting up with me because he knows I can levy more troops than he can. Oh well, if he keeps paying his scutage funds then I really can't complain.

Here's a map of my beloved Connacht:
254y0p3.jpg

As you can see from the map above, the Ireland I love so dearly is divided up between quite a few little counties and a few duchies.

One of those duchies, Leinster, is a bit more powerful than the others. They're a bit more urbanized than other places, and Dublin is often listed as an up and coming place of trade and commerce. I need to keep an eye on them.

Munster, the southernmost Duchy, is a generally benign and peaceful duchy where fine men fish the little bays of the southern coast and raise their sheep.

In the north there are the three counties of Ulster - Tir Connail, Tir Eoghain, and Ulaid. All of these places are strange and clannish, prone to violence and often find themselves in an intense rivalry. I need to watch my back when around any of those three.

Anyways, my candle is almost out and I don't really feel like scrounging around for another one.

Goodnight, diary.

12 January 1067

Dear Diary,

Today my vassal asked if his eldest son Aedh could come to Connacht as a fosterling. He's a little guy, only seven years old, but he'll someday be the Count of Galway and my vassal, unless something should happen to his father before he comes of age...

Anyways, I agreed. It was mostly a matter of self-protection, as that uppity Count can't get too uppity, or else he won't see his son again. Oh, the perks of being a liege...

16 March 1067

Today my spy mistress asked me if she could stir up some false rumors down in the County of Galway. According to her there was a plot to assassinate Count Aedh, and we here in Mayo captured and beheaded those responsible. I could care less that the entire story is a fabrication. Sure enough, words of thanks reached my ears, as did promises of continued loyalty. Well done, spy mistress, well done.

9 June, 1067

The aging Count of Tir Eoghain sent a messenger to my court today, requesting the hand of Sisuile, a pretty bland and untalented courtier. Of course I quickly agreed. It's strange though - Sisuile is pregnant. Why would he want a random pregnant courtier as a wife? As sketchy as it seems, I'm sure there's some reasonable explanation. Oh well.

29qjv37.jpg

12 December 1067

I got a letter from the Pope today, asking whether or not I would accept a bishop he was sending. I agreed - I'm in no position to question the Pope. Besides, a bishop can only do good for a Duchy, right?

295v1at.jpg

3 January 1067

I gave Ruaidri a late Christmas present today. Bean-Mhumhan, my loyal spy mistress, has been complaining about being single. I realized that my son has, too! Sure enough, they'd be a perfect match, and B-M is in her prime childbearing years, being only 23. It's a win-win for me: my spy mistress will stop worrying about becoming an old spinster and can focus on her work, and my son will be happily wed and hopefully contributing to the family tree soon enough.

3 July 1067

Today was an exciting day for Connacht. Ruaidri told me the most amazing news while we were inspecting a local sheep farm - his wife is pregnant! I can't wait for my first grandchild! Oh, I'll spoil it silly, I will. I'm sure Ruaidri will be a good father, too - he's a good man.

r2q4q1.jpg

We also learned that William the Conqueror, the Norman who fought his way to the English throne, has become papal controller. I think it's safe to say that he's the most powerful man in Europe right now. I'll have to remember not to cross him.

Anyways, I'm supposed to be helping my wife pick out new curtains for the bed chamber. Goodnight, Diary.

6 January 1069,

Dear Diary,

Today I learned that my spy mistress has been busy. I don't really know how, given that she's really quite round due my grandchild forming in her stomach, but she has been. She told some other leader of my greatness, or so I've heard. It must have been some tiny little county, maybe somewhere useless like Malta or Medelpad or something, because from what I understand my reputation hasn't changed by that much. Oh well, it's the thought that counts!

5a5uc.jpg

4 April 1069,

I caught my steward and diocese bishop fishing in the decorative pond this morning. Damn those two troublemakers! They've been up to all sorts of shenanigans lately, I think they're becoming close friends. I'll have to keep an eye on them, make sure they don't get me into any trouble with my neighbors.

11 April 1069,

My daughter-in-law gave birth this afternoon! Ruaidri woke me up from my afternoon nap to tell me that I have a grandson, Muircheartach. He's a little spitfire, I hear, with fat little legs and stubby, wrinkly fingers. I haven't met him yet. Personally, I find babies to be a bit disgusting until they come to be a few months old. Those newborns, they look a bit like little aliens. Sort of spooky.

1ymmir.jpg

30 May 1069,

My steward told me that the most recent census revealed that people have been flocking to Mayo. This is surely good for the economy! More people means more people buying clothes, buying food from local farmers, buying ale from the local taverns - pumping money into the economy. Hurrah!

o9r3pe.jpg

1 February 1070,

My son Ruaidri gave me a pretty wonderful birthday present (today I'm 55): he told me he and his wife are expecting another child. I'm glad I passed on my manly, fertile genes to my son. I was afraid he was shooting blanks for a while. Two children in as many years is a strong indication to the contrary, and an indication I'm quite glad to see.

Anyways, I'm off to bed. Early morning tomorrow, I promised that I would talk to some children about life in the hill-fort. I now regret that decision.

Your line is safe.

@ Enewald: I would love a bastard or two. They're always good to have lurking around...

@ JDMS: Looks like it, but it's still early, and there's no way of knowing whether the infant will live to see adulthood.

@ Murmurandus: Yeah, I have no idea how to say that name. Any Irish speakers are more than welcome to post a phonetic spelling of it.

----------------------

I should have another update up within the next few days, but I'm at a point where I have two options.

Should I

a) Revoke the title of my vassal, fight him for it (if needed), and give it to Ruaidri?

or

b) Offer vassalization to Sligo (and should the refuse, go to war and force them to accept)?

I like b.

This is the first non-gameplay update. It's been a few years, and I've not yet properly introduced the rest of Ireland, so i'll do that in the first "Eyes on Eire" segment.
---------------------------------------------------

You already know what Connacht's ruling line is like, so I won't go into detail on that.

County of Galway: Directly to the south of Mayo, the County of Galway is my sole vassal. Count Aedh (who annoying shares the same name as the Duke), is devotedly loyal, and looks to be loyal for the foreseeable future, barring some sort of catastrophe. Aedh has been pretty busy with his wife and has three children, so his line looks pretty secure.
3329cf7.jpg

Duchy of Munster: The Duchy of Munster takes up most of southern Ireland. As of now I would say it's the second most powerful force in Ireland, trailing only the Duchy of Leinster. It should not be meddled with until it is somehow weakened. The duke is pretty old, and has about 15 years left in him (max, probably much less). That being said, he has three sons, two of which are vassals of him, and his line seems to be pretty strong. It is of note that his distant successors are of the Ua Mordha line, who currently rule Leinster.
14jmeqp.jpg

Duchy of Leinster: Undoubtedly the strongest of the Irish families is the Ua Mordha, rulers of Leinster. Leinster, it is of note, is the only Irish state with more than one provinces in the demesne (the duke rules Isle of Man directly). Enna Ua Mordha is currently the Duke of Leinster, although he is without a son (his wife is still of childbearing age, though). His successors are (as of now) his brother the Count of Dublin and his nephew. Hopefully his wife proves to be infertile and his brother dies young...
fdwspg.jpg

Sligo and Mide are landlocked minors who aren't a threat to Connacht. I won't say much about them because there really isn't much worth saying. The Duke of Leinster has a claim on Mide, and with it he can create the title Duke of Meath. I expect him to act on it within the next few decades. Sligo, meanwhile, is the third part of Connacht (and the only part outside my control). I have a feeling Sligo will be discussed in greater detail in future updates.

Ulster: Ulster is divided up into three different minors, each with claims on each other. This northernmost province of Ireland is almost certainly destined for war in the future. The claims will be illustrated below. Tir Connail and County Ulaid are fairly unspectacular but Tir Eoghain is interesting in that it is ruled by an aged gent who will be succeeded by either his son the Count of Galway or his grandson the Count of Carrick. Either way it seems that it will soon be controlled by an outside (non-Irish) county.

ezo48x.jpg

k9cihe.jpg

1zywiv6.jpg

That more or less concludes this segment of "Eyes on Eire." Expect to see this segment every twenty or so years, although every once and a while I'll skip it in favor of an "Eyes on Europe" segment.

Anyways, I hope to have a gameplay update some time after the US holiday weekend (July 4).

Great work, keep up!

18 March 1070

Dear Diary,

Ruaidri won't shut up. I know he's entitled to land and all, but I don't know what he expects me to do! I can't give him my title, and I don't really feel like revoking the title of my vassal and risk going to war with a friend just to give my son land that I already get income from.

There is another option, though. Sligo is currently without allies and looks ripe for the taking. Ruaidri, Count of Sligo and Heir to the Duchy of Connacht. That has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? I might go to the court and run the idea of claiming Count of Sligo past them.

2 April 1070

My chancellor told me that I'm 15 prestige short of what I need to claim the title 'Count of Sligo.' Bugger. Ruaidri will just have to wait. He's still young, and I'm getting older - he'll get his chance sooner or later.

14 May 1070

Remember that fosterling my vassal sent me? The tutors all say that he's absolutely brilliant, a true progidy. Maybe it'll rub off on my grandson. Let's hope.

21 July 1070

A few weeks ago my chancellor suggested I offer vassalization to Sligo. I agreed and sent a messenger with a nice juicy offer. Today I found out that they refused. That's a real shame, it would have added a nice addition that Ruaidri could someday rule over directly. I might try again later...

2qameyd.jpg

29 October 1070

My daughter-in-law, Ruaidri's wife, had a daughter. She named her Caitilin. May her womb bear many children! That is, unless Ruaidri decides to get as much of a dowry as possible for her and ship her off to Byzantium or Copenhagen or some other far off corner of the world...

pwtc8.jpg

I need to go talk to Ruaidri about scheduling a baptism for her. I'll be back later, Diary!