• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

King

Part Time Game Designer
11 Badges
Dec 7, 2001
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Victoria 2 Beta
Well we’re coming near to the end of the developer diary cycle. However, there are still a few topics left, so let’s clear up some of the military questions today.

Reserves; we’ve changed the reserve system from Victoria. Instead of constantly clicking to increase your reserve pool you have a reserve pool based on your population size. It is important to remember that if you do mobilise these reserves, the troops will require guns to fight properly, so having a big population does not mean you can field the mother of all armies. You also need an industrial base to support them. The amount of reserve troops is also based around your national value; Liberty allows the fewest reserve troops (being believers in liberty they have ideological problems about forcing people to serve) while Equality allows the largest army. The economic costs of mobilisation are reversed, the lower your mobilisation cap the less economic effects there are to mobilise troops. Technology increases the amount of troops you mobilise and reduces the economic costs.

Mobilisation is also now instant. You call up your troops and the regiments appear in the province they are drawn from. However, these regiments have 0 organisation and will take a little while to become effective fighting troops. This also means that if you have a population centre close to the border, it will need to be protected to allow the regiments you can draw from there to mobilise. Again technology increases the rate at which units regain organisation, so in the late game you can mobilise faster.

Onto leaders; the system in Victoria 2 bares a striking resemblance to the Victoria system. You earn leadership from officer POPs that you can spend to buy either an admiral or a general. Each leader has two traits, which give a mixture of bonuses and penalties, but even the worst leader is still better than no leader. We have made one change; historical leaders are gone. I know there will be those of you who will bemoan the loss of the historical leaders. However, we felt they had to go. The historical leaders created a situation where you played to the leader file and not the game situation.

Finally, let's talk blockades. We did say they would do something, and they will. Blockades steadily strangle your trade. The cumulative effects of blockade makes it more expansive to trade on the world market. We model this by increasing the costs of importing goods and reducing the amount you earn from exports. The money disappears into the hands of shadowy middlemen who may or may not be connected with the shadowy cartel of international financiers with hidden goals.

Well that’s it for this week. Not many left to go.

attachment.php

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    787,1 KB · Views: 19.874
Last edited by a moderator:
woot!:)

I like the implementation of blockades: a simple solution that creates the wanted effects. Nice!

All of this is nice, especially blocades.. They are so much important in other Paradox games (I especially think about EUIII...)

One point you didn't talk about : what about reinforcement ? I do suppose it will be like reinforcements in EUIII, Rome and HoI3... At least I hope so... Vicky I reinforcements system was extremely long and frustrating...

Sweet new stuff, but I still can't say I fully understand the mobilisation process.

Will only soldier pops mobilise? Probably not.
Will all pops mobilise? Probably not either.

So what determines which pops are flagged for mobilisation? Or are certain parts off all pops reserves and what will the effect on your Industry be?

How can we know that a mobilisation won't call all our ammo factory workers to arms?!

Cant some sort of randomisation factor be introduced into leader generation, so you dont get Pershing or whoever on a certain date, if at all?

For a historical simulation-where battlefield leaders often played a significant part, I cant say Im loving this feature.

How is it near an end? It's no-where near August . . . well, then again, I have no patience. Also, no screenshot?

Sounds good; the blockade and mobilization. How does the reserve pool versus firearms thingy work exactly? As you mobilize, do you get as many reserve units as your available stock of firearms allow? I mean if you have no firearms in stock then there is no reserve units available for mobilization?

Finally, let's talk blockades. We did say they would do something, and they will. Blockades steadily strangle your trade. The cumulative effects of blockade makes it more expansive to trade on the world market. We model this by increasing the costs of importing goods and reducing the amount you earn from exports. The money disappears into the hands of shadowy middlemen who may or may not be connected with the shadowy cartel of international financiers with hidden goals.
I hope this extra fee is also paid by your pops and factories. So that lack off goods can eventually lead to strangling off entire Industries or uprisings if your pops are dependent on imports for daily goods.

All of this is nice, especially blocades.. They are so much important in other Paradox games (I especially think about EUIII...)

One point you didn't talk about : what about reinforcement ? I do suppose it will be like reinforcements in EUIII, Rome and HoI3... At least I hope so... Vicky I reinforcements system was extremely long and frustrating...

Reinforcement works like EU3. The units draw more manpower from the POP they arfe tied too. The reinforcement rate is further influenced by the ammount troops the POP supports in relation to its size.

Sweet new stuff, but I still can't say I fully understand the mobilisation process.

Will only soldier pops mobilise? Probably not.
Will all pops mobilise? Probably not either.

So what determines which pops are flagged for mobilisation? Or are certain parts off all pops reserves and what will the effect on your Industry be?

How can we know that a mobilisation won't call all our ammo factory workers to arms?!

I am not 100% certain who exactly get's mobilised but it is mainly poor people.

How is it near an end? It's no-where near August . . . well, then again, I have no patience. Also, no screenshot?

Well it is soon summer vacation time here in sweden even for companies so expect some 3 weeks were they dont work, these week are in july and called, rough translation, the business vacation (industri semestern).

yeah I want a screenshot too!!! although I guess there isn't much interesting left to look at. Maybe time for a beta-AAR? ;)

Mobilisation is also now instant. You call up your troops and the regiments appear in the province they are drawn from.

But what kind of regiment? Do you have control over the types of units that you mobilize (sort of pre-mobilization schema to follow on "Day M"), or you just get plain infantry, like in Vicky 1?

Sounds good; the blockade and mobilization. How does the reserve pool versus firearms thingy work exactly? As you mobilize, do you get as many reserve units as your available stock of firearms allow? I mean if you have no firearms in stock then there is no reserve units available for mobilization?

No the reseve units do not cost small arms to raise. We abstract that, but they do cost small arms to maintain. If you don't have enough they will fight at reduced efficiency.

But what kind of regiment? Do you have control over the types of units that you mobilize (sort of pre-mobilization schema to follow on "Day M"), or you just get plain infantry, like in Vicky 1?

Infantry only.