• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(8830)

Colonel
Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
This is another attempt by me at a first person AAR.

IGC 2.3
Free Ireland
Austrian Netherlands

1492-1500:

In the year of 1492, Bavaria was a disunited, turbulent duchy. It was the job of Albrecht the
Fourth to reunite it under a single flag. Albrecht worked tirelessly throughout the nights to
achieve his dream of a united Bavaria. And so the Saga begins........

It was a stormy night in the forests of southern Germany. A large castle loomed in the
darkness, with ut a few windows lit. Slowly, all but the hallway lights were extinguished, except
for the top window in one of the towers.

Inside that room was Albrecht, the duke of Burgundy. He was a great monarch, and was
in the process of writing new laws to create a more durable and flexible Germany. He was
starting to take the advice of his new advisor, for what else are advisors for? He was trying to
think of a subtle way to diminish the power of the nobles. He slowly wrote down his ideas.

Finally, the document was finished, and he rolled it gently, inserted it into a drawer, and
extinguished the candle flame.

I was not very happy. I had tried to seek out the Duke all day, but he was always one step
ahead. I started to get the feeling he was avoiding me. Finally, I found him in the study. He was
composing a letter.

"My lord, I have a suggestion!" I cried.

Albrecht put down the pen, "Ah, yes, might you be referring to our troubled diplomatic
situation?" he said. This left me shocked. Did he read my mind? "Well, you will be glad to know
that I am taking care of that matter right now," he said, and handed me the letter, which I read:

My noble duke of Thuringen,
Perhaps you have noticed the delicate situation that our two nations are in. Perhaps we can
correct this. My niece has been longing for a husband for many years, and when I mentioned
your cousin's name she was delighted. Therefore I suggest a Royal Marriage of our two young
people, and an alliance.

Signed, Albrecht, duke of Bavaria.

When I had finished, he took it and handed it to a messenger. He addressed me, " If this is
successful I will send out an almost identical letter to the leader of Baden, who is also politicallyisolated. Is this what you had in mind?"

Amazed, I said, "Yes, my lord."
In the following days, both were successful, and Albrecht and I married off successive royal
Family members to Hessen, Saxony, Brandenburg, Kleves, Austria, Bohemia, and Wurtemburg.

In the mean time, our research had finally begun to fruit as we reached Trade and Infrastructure
level 2. Not long after, we canceled Naval research as we would not be getting a port soon, and
soon, we reached Land Tech level 2. A tax collector was appointed and for some reason, our
relations with Astrakhan were +25. We decided to make the most of it and exchanged maps.

All was peaceful in the united Bavaria of 1500, but it was not true for the rest of the world. In the
period I have just described, several wars were fought, and Lorraine was annexed by France (only
to lose it to Austria), Helvetica by Spain, Kurland was lost by the Teutonic order to the giant of
Poland-Lithuania, and Artois went from Austria to Spain. Navarre was annexed by Spain, and
Turkey gained some provinces from the Mamalukes.

In short, it was a very turbulent Europe.

Last edited:
O.O.C. Actually, Yoghurt, I do. Diploannek Wurtemburg and Thuringen.

To my relief, in the year of 1500, the palace in general became much quieter as the Duke
sent of his two chattering daughters to Cologne and Spain. Also, our research secretary told us
we reached Naval Tech 2. Naval Tech Two!, I cried. Where the heck did they test the boats when
there is not a deep lake for a hundred miles! Heck, the Sea was hundreds of miles away! As if we
needed Naval Tech 2!

We also discovered that our alliance expired. We were able to keep Thuringen, but Baden
immediately joined Austria. Dang, I said to Albrecht. We decided to ally with The Palatinate,
Saxony, and Kleves. We also gave several gifts. We reached land tech four soon afterwards
(finally a useful land tech), and then our beloved monarch Albrecht the fourth died. As I said at
the great man’s funeral:

“Albrecht was the wisest and noblest man I have ever known. He was a great man, and united a
great duchy. He laid the foundations of this new alliance,” I said, gesturing to the representatives
of the alliance, “and will always be remembered as the man who started an era!”

Soon after, Wilhelm IV ascended. He was not too popular with the military, and close to
8000 men deserted. We also reached LT level 5.

In the out side world, Ragusa was annexed by Venice, Lorraine declared independence
from and was promptly annexed by Austria. There was a civil war in Russia, and France took
Lorraine and Luxembourg from Austria.