• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(55246)

Second Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2006
Despite several campaigns I have still not been able to figure out how this darn supply works .

I almost always have Divisions stuck in unsupplied status for MONTHS .
There might be a region just beside full of supply but the supplies won't move the 50 necessary km to the waiting units .
The green status is all over the map but with no obvious relationship to where the units are .
I tried to get in places with high infrastructure (railways) but they stay unsupplied while regions with 20% infrastructure are full of supplies .

Actually as Japan I have 3 vital units sitting in Irkoutsk (plain , 60% infrastructure) with NO suply for 2 months while the mountains beside (20% infrastructure , 2 units) are overflowing with supply .

Is there any way to orient supply to places where one NEEDS it as opposed to places where they are useless ?
As it is , no strategical planing is possible because when you define reasonable attack vectors , you can never know if the supply will not go randomly completely elsewhere .

Thanks for advice because this single point is removing any fun from the operation planing part of the game .

One thing I have noticed is sometimes the game just gets stuck and isn't calculating things like supply the way it normally would. I make it a habit to occasionally save, exit and restart the game. This seems to make it rethink all of what its doing and fixes many problems, give it a try.

OK thanks . I will try the relog way and will report . It really looks like the program sometimes (randomly ?) doesn't calculate anything at all . Leaving 2 Divsions without supply several months is clearly not normal .

What's the maximum throughput of supplies and fuel in capital?
Capitals throughput used to be a problem but it doesn't matter any more. Since 1.3 supply is deployed in all your core provinces with IC in them. So the size of your army doesn't depend on capital's throughput.

Research supplies (under theory) build infrastructure and take, build many ports (if you invade via the sea) and dont have 100 divisions in one province and it should be fine. Also, try to have a big connections, if you, even for one depth, have a connection of only one province, then the supplies will be very limited.
(for instance attacking the soviets via the balkans, poland beeing independent, is a bad idea...)

Research supplies (under theory) build infrastructure and take, build many ports (if you invade via the sea) and dont have 100 divisions in one province and it should be fine. Also, try to have a big connections, if you, even for one depth, have a connection of only one province, then the supplies will be very limited.
(for instance attacking the soviets via the balkans, poland beeing independent, is a bad idea...)

- Supply researched
- Infrastructure has no effect . Read my post - units in a province with 60% infrastructure stay not supplied for MONTHS while the neighbouring province with 20% infrastructure is fully supplied
- I play Japan , all ports are mine in the region under interest
- I have maximum 4 divisions in a province
- the last comment is obviously not true . Generally supply is worst for units that are in the middle of friendly territory . In the present case , Irkoutsk non supplied is behind the lines . So all surrounding povinces are mine .

What I suspect is that precisely provinces in the middle of friendly territories are subject to these random supply problems .
Frontline provinces are mostly OK . It is behind where the catastrophe mostly happens .
Also I noticed that as long as units move and attack they have almost no supply problems . But as soon as I stop moving and/or move the unit back for refreshment , the odds for it to get out of supply for months/years are very high .
Whatever the supply program is doing , it clearly ignores inactive units in most cases .

From what I've seen, the computer will try to supply the units in the worst infa structure and furthest away from supply first. This sucks up a lot of supplies and throughput so often in good or easy areas don't get supplied.

As an example, I played Japan and made a simultaneous assualt against china and russia in 37. I held a vertical strip of territory running up from a port in China to Siberia. The divisions in Siberia with terrible infa were completely in supply while the divisions near the coast of china and the port were out of supply permanently.

BTW, you often capture supplies when you take a province which gives moving units a benefit. The problem is that if you don't watch it, you'll move to an area where you don't get supplies and then you are so far from the supply depot by this time that the division is dead in the water.

From what I've seen, the computer will try to supply the units in the worst infa structure and furthest away from supply first. This sucks up a lot of supplies and throughput so often in good or easy areas don't get supplied.

I've noticed this too. Japan had units guarding a passive Communist China which were in full or extra supply, meanwhile their units on the border between Shanxi/NatChina were always in and out of supply and just barely holding on. Infrastructure was worst next to comm china and best next to nat china =/.

The other thing I've noticed is that if Infra gets damaged due to combat, supplies won;t get rerouted around that province. So if you have a zone of all 60% infra but the supply is all going through one province, and that one province gets knocked down to 10-20 infra by battle, it will still try to send all the supply through the damaged province and will not reroute it.

As an example, I played Japan and made a simultaneous assualt against china and russia in 37. I held a vertical strip of territory running up from a port in China to Siberia. The divisions in Siberia with terrible infa were completely in supply while the divisions near the coast of china and the port were out of supply permanently.

You have probably a point there .
I am exactly in the same situation and the units on the front in the middle of Siberian nowhere with low infrastructure have little/no supply problems while units in big Chinese cities with excellent infrastructure and near to ports are mostly out of supply .
Talk about realism !