• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darkrenown

Star marshal
141 Badges
Jan 8, 2002
no
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Venice: All trade, all the time.
Also war. There may be some war.​

Well here's Venice:

attachment.php

Venice is, of course, a merchant republic. Note the lack of a legitimacy icon at the top of the screen, that is not something republics have to deal with. What do republics get in return? Well they change leaders more often so they don't have to stick with a bad ruler for too long, and they are more tolerent of other religions, and while I'm here let me also show the starting CoT values:

attachment.php

Starting out I DoW Zeta for my core and grab a rear admiral from the starting advisor pool. However there's no one else I like so I use my cultural tradition to create 2 treasurers. I get lucky and they are both 2 stars, I was only expecting single star advisers with this much tradition, but I'm not going to complain.
I also move my slider one step towards naval, although about 2 minutes later I realised I'd misread the decision I'd been looking at and that Athens + Zeta didn't count as overseas. Duh.
attachment.php

I unpause and invade Zeta with 2 units. PAP and HUN offer me alliances so I accept.
While sieging Zeta a crusade is called upon Granada, since I'm allied with the Pope I join in and DoW them. Of course, the crusade bonus doesn't hurt either, and now it also grants Papal Influence:
attachment.php

I fail to spot some transports from Algiers sailing past to invade Crete. My fleet sinks them as they return home, but Algerians are sieging Crete.

Luckily the current Pope is a firm believer in conversion by the sword. He lands an army in Crete and quickly converts all the Algerian troops into corpses.
attachment.php

With the Algerian transport sunk and Castille sieging Granada there's no danger of futher invasion. In fact, Algiers sees which way the wind is blowing and offers a white peace which I accept.

I've recieved a mission to conquer Aquilla, but they're part of the HRE while I am not, so Bohemia would likely protect them, even if they weren't allied. I'll have to bide my time for now.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I try to invite Bavaria to join my trade league, but they refuse. Right now they're trading through my CoT anyway, so their joining wouldn't do much for me directly, but it would prevent any other leagues from inviting them to their leagues. Sadly they refuse.
attachment.php

Meanwhile peace has broken out as the Pope has invaded and annexed Granada and I've annexed Zeta. Achaea and Naxos are allied to Aquilla, so I moved my two regiments to Athens rather than bring them home.
I've also secured an alliance with Austria, who I hope will be able to shield me against Bohemia.

Last edited:
pics

Attachments

• VEN2.png
    VEN2.png
    422,7 KB · Views: 6.040
  • ven5.png
    ven5.png
    392,4 KB · Views: 5.776
  • ven3.jpg
    ven3.jpg
    682,5 KB · Views: 5.843
  • ven4.jpg
    ven4.jpg
    716,6 KB · Views: 5.724
Last edited:
Mhh, Lubeck is still very rich, Antwerpen, Venice and Novgorod are now much poorer, while Genoa has increased. Why?

Looking good :D

Mhh, Lubeck is still very rich, Antwerpen, Venice and Novgorod are now much poorer, while Genoa has increased. Why?

Genoa controls a Trade league and so as a fair bit more trade traffic than it used to, that trade had to come from somewhere, which is why some other CoTs are poorer.

I try Bavaria again and this time they accept. Britteny also grants me salt trade rights, while England grants me Fish trade rights, this causes all their salt/fish producing provinces to trade through my CoT.
ven9.jpg

Hungary decides to DoW Moldavia without a CB, this means it will cost me 2 stab to join them, but I accept anyway. I'll need large allies for my war against Bohemia, and I wouldn't mind annexing Ragusa, who are allied to Moldavia.
Sadly Ragusa aren't interested in a war right now and dishonour their alliance, so there's nothing much for me to do :(

Austria has also gotten involved in a war, but they must have been called by someone else as I wasn't asked to join, although with the alliance CB I could get involved if I chose to.
ven11.jpg

Not to be outdone, the Papal states invade Urbino, again without a CB. I want to keep on the Holy Father's good side, so I take a further 2 stab hit to join them. I thought this war would be an easy victory for PAP, but when I checked back a little later the Papal army was gone and Urbino was sieging Rome.
What happened?

ven12.jpg

I rushed some troops over to relieve them and then laid siege to the enemy capital. Once it fell they became a vassal of the Papal states.

ven10.jpg

No, nothing that complex. And besides, members of other leagues won't grant your trade rights, so actually cornering a market would be pretty hard.

Feeling confident at this point I declared war on Aquilleia. Bohemia rushed to defend them, but sadly her greek allies did not. On my side both the Pope and Austria chickened out. Turns out the Papal states are still rebuilding their army and Austria is still fighting their earlier war. Oops.
ven13.jpg

Inital battles against Aquilleia went well, and their main army was destroyed in 3 battles. A few regiments escaped to siege Hungary's provinces while my army made a rapid march back to Treviso to defeat a 7000 strong Bohemian army.

I was worried about massive Bohemian armies overwhelming me, but as it turns out Hungary is kicking ass and taking names. The balance of forces is now much more favourable, although Bohemia is no doubt building more armies.
ven14.jpg

My Bohemian buddies try to flee, but they are caught and annihilated in Bavaria.
ven15.jpg

My army returns and lays siege to Aquilleia, it isn't long before they sue for peace. Ouch, the infamy is nasty, but I want to annex Aquilla next time, so it has to be done.
ven16.jpg

Hungary sues for peace with Bohemia, although they didn't want to take any land without a valid CB and it seems Bohemia is out of cash, so they don't get much.
ven17.jpg

Oh dear, what will I be able to take in the peace deal?

The answer is, I force them to join my Trade League. They had been members of the hansetic league untill now, so not only do I get extra trade, I also get to deprive my rival of some.
ven18.jpg

The HRE isn't doing so well. Hungary and me pretty much destroyed Bohemia's army and the other nations are taking this chance to attack HRE members. France invades Genoa, and although the Emperor tries to resist them, there's not much he can do. Imperial Authority is at an all time low.
ven19.jpg

All this Infamy isn't helping my Papal influence at all
ven20.jpg

I'll have to try and lose it, or at least not gain any more for the meantime. That's not so bad though, I need some peace and quiet to expand my navy and earn more money.

Athens, Crete and Zeta are all Orthodox. That has to change, so I hire a Theologian and pass the Advancement of religion act before sending out some missionarys. It's a shame they're so far apart or I'd move my National focus over to help increase the conversion chance, but as they aren't I'll keep it in Venezia. Besides, there's something I'm planning to do there once I save up a few more magistrates.

The Papal conquest of Granada isn't working out so well for them as Castille declares a war of reconquest:

ven21.jpg

I fearlessly fail to accept the alliance call. Ha! How do you like it? The 50(fifty!) prestiege lost is rather painful, but I can't fight Castille just yet.

Poland offers me an alliance and I accept. However, the Poles are members of the hated Hansetic league. This calls for a cunning plan!

ven22.jpg

Careful use of spies can destroy relations with the Hansa, once they get low enough Poland should leave their league and then I'll pounce!

I move my sliders towards plutocracy for the extra spies and TE. Unfortunately this upsets my nobles:

ven23.jpg

I dispatch 6 regiments to deal with the rebels and order some improvments to my capital
ven24.jpg

Huh
ven25.jpg

On the plus side, Crete has converted, it was the final province to do so.

A second attack by 7 regiments also fails. I blame the terrain penalty. Since I can only transports 7 regiments at a time I'm forced to ask for access from the Ottomans. An assault by my full army finally wipes out the rebel problem. It's good timing, because Poland has just attacked the TO, who had apparently offended them in some way.
ven26.jpg

ven27.jpg

ven28.jpg

My army arrives in time to deliver a sound thrashing to the TO, but not soon enough to take part in the siege of their capital.
ven29.jpg