• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(129995)

Lt. General
Dec 27, 2008
IIRC, the problem with historical music was trademark, as in, Paradox can't sell games with possibly still-trademarked musical pieces in them. So, I propose we put together a free mod that gives every major (so ENG, FRA, ITA, GER, SOV, JAP, USA) its own little soundtrack. Why majors? They're the easiest.

Anyways, my little contribution...SOV's war track, courtesy of the Red Army Choir!

http://www.sovmusic.ru/english/list.php?part=1&gold=yes&category=marsh

My personal favorite is We Are The Red Cavalry.

We only need 10~ songs at the most for each track, so 10*2*7 = 140, 20 songs (10 war, 10 peace) for each major, with seven majors. There are definitely collections around on the internet (I remember one with Koniggratzer Marsch, Preussens Gloria, Es war ein Edelweiss, Panzerlied, and Die Wacht Am Rhein, among others), so we only need to find a few of these collections (like the one I found above) and we're set.

This reminds me of a feature in some other ww2 game where they played the national anthem of the nation played on start-up (exept for nationalist china where they played the current chinese anthem, also for sssr they had the new anthem from 1944).

nice initiativ.

Nobody else? Come on...we're all neckbeards here, we ALL have collections of historical military music...come on, cough it up, cough it up! :p

For France, I've got the French Foreign Legion march somewhere. And then you can just loop La Marseillaise 9 times. ;)

For Britain, I also have Rule Britannia and a few regimental marches (Coldstream Guards, for example).

For Germany there's plenty, but I recommend branching out away from all the martial music and using this. :p

Or at least use something like Erlkoenig. Or Rammstein.

Might throw in some period big band stuff too... since it was enjoyed internationally.

I'd happily assist this mod project if it gets off the ground.

As an extension to this, I'm thinking we use the Alliance Leader's national music for any nation in the alliance w/o its own tracks (so GER playlist for Axis, ENG/USA playlist for Allies, SOV playlist for Comintern), and puppets use their leader's playlist (so JAP playlist for Wang Jingwei NatChi or USA playlist for Phillipines). If it's possible to define...not sure about this, really haven't done much work with in-game music.

EDIT: also, I'm going to do this, but just waiting on a new computer (this one is about as fast as the Western Front in 1916...).

And a proposed SOV playlist:

War:
Farewell to Slavankia
Katyusha
We Are The Red Cavalry
Guard Song
March of Stalin's Tankers
March of Stalin's Artillerymen
White Army, Black Baron
Let's Go!
Tachanka
March of Moscow's Defenders

Peace:
The Internationale
Hymn of the Soviet Union
Moscow Nights
Korobeiniki
Dark Eyes
Those Evening Bells
Tchaikovsky Symphony No 1
Komsomolskaya Proshchalnaya
Song of the Volga Boatmen
Kalinka

And a GER one:

War:
Panzerlied
Horst-Wessel-Lied
Die Wacht am Rhein
Koniggratzer Marsch
Preussens Gloria
Ich hat einen Kameraden
Hohenfriedberger Marsch
Badenweiler
Ride of the Valkyries
Alte Kameraden

Peace:
Lili Marlene
Erika
Ode to Joy
Fur Elise
14th Quartet
The Blue Danube
Es war ein Edelweiss
Gotterdammerung
Lohengrin
Moonlight Sonata

Thoughts? And anyone want to do the same for USA, ENG, ITA, FRA, and JAP?

Last edited:
For Germany:
Add Erika and

Nana Mouskouri - Serenade
(the song played in the documentary of Rommel when he commits suicide), I cried two times this decade, second time was when I was watching/listening that...

I have an own music pack i personally use in Armageddon, which contains about 60 different military marches, from different countries like germany, italy, france, Uk, Spain, Netherlands, Austria-Hungary, USSR

For Germany:
Add Erika and

Nana Mouskouri - Serenade
(the song played in the documentary of Rommel when he commits suicide), I cried two times this decade, second time was when I was watching/listening that...

D'oh, how the hell did I forget Erika.

Edited.

To devs:

Does AoD use the same music naming format as HoI2 did? I'm thinking it would, but just checking...

Yes, it does.

Awesome, thanks.

ENG War playlist:
The British Grenadiers
Rule, Britannia!
Heart of Oak
Scipione
A Life on the Ocean Wave
Colonel Bogey
Pomp and Circumstance No. 4
Scotland the Brave
Dambusters March
Soldiers of the Queen

ENG Peace playlist:
God Save the Queen
Eternal Father, Strong to Save
Run Rabbit Run
There'll Always be an England
We'll Meet Again
The White Cliffs of Dover
When The Lights Go On Again
Lili Marlene (English version)
Land of Hope and Glory
Flower of Scotland

I'm going to need help with ITA, JAP, and FRA playlists for both war and peace...can anyone help with those?

Kay, still need someone to put together FRA, ITA, and JAP, and if anyone could help with USA it'd be great. Thanks guys.