• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(147701)

Sergeant
Jul 31, 2009
First of all: grammar nazis. I know you are there, waiting to correct my sentences. I don't mind it. In fact, I want you to.

I don't like to talk much. So, let's begin.

Chapter I.
Scotland under Robert the Cunning

PIC001.jpg

Robert III(the one on the left side). It is real history so far, and the picture is from wiki.

Robert III. had ruled Scotland since 1390, under constant threat of English invasion. His land lacked manpower, the taxes paid in the provinces were low, and the policy sliders were quiet depressing too. All these unfortunate circumstances had made him into a sad, passive and reluctant man, who ruled his lands with justice and compassion, but did not seek to advance his kingdom, for he did not believe it was possible.

However, on October 14th, 1399, things suddenly changed. No one knew who Andrea Seton was, or where he came from, but he befriended the king, became an ambassador and greatly changed Robert's view on life.

001.jpg

"There is no fate, but what we make for ourselves." - A. Seton, 1399

The previously non-existant foreign policies were replaced with a simple plan; the English could not be beaten, therefore they must be befriended. Robert's daughter was wed to one of possible heirs to the English throne, military access was both requested and granted to England, and what some considered ridiculous, Scotland sworn to protect English independence. Also, reforms were made that weakened the level of protectionism Scottish merchants had cherished. (+1 Free trade)

October 14, 1400

003.jpg

The King hired two more advisors to aid him; to improve general mood in the country, Anthony from Northumberland was to write cheerful and quick songs that could be sung by masses during work. The other one, Siegmund Chlingensperg played crucial role in country's finance system and allowed the government to spend more money - which was needed, now when Scotland desired to become a major power in the region.
The process was slow, and constantly interrupted by various misfortunes. Year 1404 saw a treason among nobles in favour of Kingdom of Hainaut. Declaring a war on a state in Holy Roman Empire would be disastrous, so the enemies across the sea were left unpunished.

004.jpg

Shortly thereafter a major event occured in western Europe.

005.jpg

This time, with new doctrine, Scotland declared war on the French. Robert III. had no interest in sacrificing his troops, though. Instead, war was used as an excuse for extra taxation, coins were saved and minted rapidly, for Robert now had a plan, that required much of them - and was worth the inflation.

006.jpg

Unfortunately, his politics were not popular among peasants.

007.jpg

War with France eventually ended...

008.jpg

...but tension in the country built up.

009.jpg

Urbanization was not very helpful, too.

010.jpg

It should be noted, that the whole internal conflict in early 15th century went without a single open rebellion. In fact, after forming a military alliance with Burgundy, Robert III. became confident enough to start a war.
Few year before, Castille had used it's influence on the Pope to launch a crusade on Golden Horde. Scotland was about to join the crusade - but not for the faith. In fact it was a part of a plan - a plan that a more sensitive person would call evil.

011.jpg

PIC002.jpg

Robert III.

The goal was to annex the island of Corsica, and to do so with a blessing from the pope himself.
The Corsicans responded with an unexpected, but rational move.

012.jpg

And so, The Bloodless Scottish Crusade began. Eternal hatred was sworn to Corsica. No lives were lost, because the adversaries were too distant to invade, or be invaded. Once again, the conflict was used to raise war taxes. Apart from that, Scotland was a nice place to live in 1410 - unlike its southern neigbour.

013.jpg

Let's hope they will implode.

England was weakened moderately after the war with France.
In these days, another step towards free trade was taken.

014.jpg

015.jpg

In 1411, seeing this union formed Robert decided to make family ties with other royalties. Also, military alliance with Brittany was formed.

016.jpg

July 1411: The peasant revolts finally ended. Not that anyone noticed.

017.jpg

April 1413: A decade of investment finally paid off. National trade policy was adopted.
Also, some churches were built.

018.jpg

019.jpg

August 1413: Robert once again joined the war against France, to get extra money from the peasants and to see English men die pointless deaths. After months of saving every coin, a large sum of gold was used to strenghten the economy of the country. Inflation was acceptable.

020.jpg

Two years later, Robert the Cunning died of lupus. No one expected that, not even his son.With the heir to the throne too young to ascend, Regency council would rule the country for the next 4 years. Meanwhile, Andrea Seton left Scotland, never to be seen again.

021.jpg

Last edited:
Please can you remember that in the AAR forums we are enforcing a limit of 20 screenshots per post. I count 22 in your first post. Please do not over-reach the limit again in future.

Otherwise, all looks very interesting.

Scottieland eh? Gonna be fun!

Please can you remember that in the AAR forums we are enforcing a limit of 20 screenshots per post. I count 22 in your first post. Please do not over-reach the limit again in future.

Otherwise, all looks very interesting.

Technically, 2 were not screenshots, but ok, I get it.

..can... Can I have some money? :(

Sure. Interest is 100% per year. Added every infinitely small fraction of second. Thank you for choosing our bank.

Chapter II.
Expansion under Robert the Sailor

PIC003.jpg

Robert IV.

Second French-English war ended in 1417, but sadly did not deal any permanent damage to kingdom of England.
Nothing important happenned until September 1420.

023.jpg

Young monarch continued in his father's free trade policy...

024.jpg

025.jpg

...but also focused on improving his armies. Technically, Scottish troops were now superior to English, but lacked numbers. Therefore, Robert IV decided to seek conquest elsewhere.
Preparations for war with Norway began. The goal was to gain control of Orkney, and perhaps of Island as well. While Norway was a weak country, it was in personal union with Denmark, which could cause problems.
Many ships were built to ensure naval supremacy.

026.jpg

Salvatore de Leiva, considered by many the greatest artist of the time was hired to improve stability which would certainly plummet after declaration of war.

027.jpg

And in December 1424...

028.jpg

war was beginning.

Scottish forces met minimal resistance, and Orkney eventually fell. The picture shows more interesting things going on in England.

029.jpg

030.jpg

First naval victory.

031.jpg

June 1429. Happy times were officially over.(The previous mission of England was to recover Normandy. If they had had that mission in the beginning, I would probably be 0PM now.)

Island was occupied, but the Danes would not sign any peace treaty, so a dangerous landing operation began. 3 thousands men sieged Sjaelland, protected by entire Scottish navy. But Denmark had many ships too. Military access from a random nearby country was secured - just in case the upcoming naval battle would be lost.

032.jpg

Sjaelland fell and later, after many months of battling on the seas, Scottish navy prevailed in June 1431. (I will never understand how the hell can those battles take so long.)

PIC004.jpg

Battle of Oresund, by Salvatore.

033.jpg

034.jpg

Free trade +1

November 1431, war was over, boys were brought back home, and met their girlfriends again on a sunny day.

035.jpg

Meanwhile, England was once again in a war with France.
In the south, Castille went through some suicidal tendencies.

036.jpg

Peasants gained some more freedom...

037.jpg

In the year 1435, England faced large rebellion and people were exhausted by ongoing war with France. After months of hesitating and weighting up, Robert IV made the most daring thing Scotland has seen during his life. And his father's life. And his father's father's...

038.jpg

The honouring the Auld Alliance mission requires Scotland to go into war with England, and gives 1 stability and 30.0 army tradition as a reward.

Last edited:
You know, alot of times I see Scotland declare war on England because of that mission, DESPITE of that all English troops are at home...

Continuing Chapter II.

Robert himself decided to command his armies, and it was soon clear that he was a tactical genious. Despite having greater armies and navies, the English took the matters seriously.

039.jpg

The first battle occured when a small English force attempted to siege Scottish capitol.

040.jpg

Clemens Rovigo, an artist hired to cheer up population during the war proved his worth.

041.jpg

Taking advantage of their superior navy, the English tried to take Island, but were stopped by mercenaries.

042.jpg

Realizing that war could not be won by defending in this case, Robert IV. ordered sieging of northern England. Small cavalry armies, 3 and 4 thousands were used because Scotland could not afford losing manpower. Moreover, when a large English army of 10 000 men appeared, Scottish cavalry were able to quickly flee home. Lands in Lothian and Ayshire were scorched, and the latter was soon besieged. The Scottish army hid in the Highlands, while lack of food and winter killed enemy troops for over 6 months. In early July 1436, the city was at the brink of falling, so Robert launched an attack on sieging regiments.

043.jpg

The outcome surprised both sides. (And me too.)
The morale boost was great, but the war was not won yet. Another large English army was formed in the south. The time seemed right to capture north of England, though.

044.jpg

Defending provinces were only capable of supplying small forces, so the main Scottish army stayed in homeland, prepared to strike either way at any minute.
Unfortunately, the sieges were interrupted again, this time by larger English army. As many soldiers as possible were recruited in Scotland, and joined the main army in the epic battle of Lothian.

045.jpg

While the victory was not as complete and easy as in the battle of Ayshire, this battle was clearly the decisive point of the war. English army was chased, and annihilated in the province of Yorkshire.

046.jpg

Perhaps for the first time in history, Scottish army was larger than England's. Troops were again divided to siege bordering provinces, and 7 000 horsemen commanded by the king went to search and destroy the remains of their enemy's forces, carefully avoiding rebels that sought to take advantage of England's horrible situation.
047.jpg

048.jpg

Siegmund Chlingensperg put extraordinary effort in his work during the war. For 38 years, this man had been serving Scotland and experts agree that his contribution to the economy was greater than that which the national banks in other countries made. Despite having german origin, Siegmund is recognized as one of the most famous and influential Scotsmen in history.

PIC005.jpg

049.jpg

If this was a wc game i would be really angry now.

050.jpg

Sadly, the merchant whose name did not go down in the history was not the only great man that died that year. On August 25, Robert IV. died in the battle of East Anglia.

Last edited:
Very nice so far... But...
Siegmund is recognized as one of the most famous and influential Scotsmen in history
No Jackie Stewart...? The man was a legend...!

Also, one (small) nitpick... A space please before and after each tag. Some of the captions are hard for me to read, and I don't want to miss any...:cool:

Looking forward to the 'Isle of Ocher'...

T

With their advanced diet of fried mars bars and heroin the Scot's fitness is clearly superior, I honestly can't see why it took so long for you to beat them *nods*

Good writing though, and good luck

Last edited:
Very nice so far... But...

No Jackie Stewart...? The man was a legend...!

Sorry, Robert III. probably stepped on some butterfly after 1399.

Also, one (small) nitpick... A space please before and after each tag. Some of the captions are hard for me to read, and I don't want to miss any...:cool:
[/QUOTE]

Done.

[quote="sprites, post: 10385641"]very nice , england is hard to beat ^^[/QUOTE]

I had a bit of luck...and they didn't.

[quote="marty99, post: 10388020"]With their advanced diet of fried mars bars and heroin the Scot's fitness is clearly superior, I honestly can't see why it took so long for you to beat them *nods*

Good writing though, and good luck[/QUOTE]

Thanks.
Also, do you know Stewart Lee?

[quote="blsteen, post: 10389250"]Yes, nice job beating the English now you must make the most advantageous peace you can.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is logical, but... it leads to dark side. And WC. And I dont really want this to end that way. Surely, the English will be crushed, but I dont want to go on rampage after that.

[SIZE="6"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Chapter III.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"]The Purge[/SIZE]

[IMG]http://skeletoff.ic.cz/obrazky/PIC006a.jpg

James the Conqueror, the Englishbane 3/5/8

In 1440, England had finally run out of money. The exhausted population in the cities made almost no effort to defend themselves, so the whole island was in Scotland's control by the end of the year.

051.jpg

The peace terms were very harsh and reversed the balance of power on the British isles, with Scotland emerging as the dominant force. England lied in ruin, but their misery had just started. Future looked bright.

052.jpg

Shortly thereafter, the French saved their reputation as the meaniest country in the world.

053.jpg

054.jpg

After another step towards free trade policy, the Scottish merchants progressed to gain dominant role in European markets, especially in Andalucia, Liguria and Venezia.
Meanwhile, England sunk deeper and deeper.

055.jpg

057.jpg

056.jpg

After some calculations, I selected "Accept" for the first time in my life.
Not much happenned in Scotland for quite some time, but western Europe saw a great war, started by France against Burgundy, which led to Castille declaring war on France. King James played with the idea of joining the war and possibly stop French expansion, but the time for that had not yet come.

059.jpg

Instead, he focused on British Isles, and decided he would not stop until they were unified under Scottish flag. Though he was a good military leader, he paid no attention to such minor annoyances as reputation or stability of his country.

060.jpg

061.jpg

No historical explanation for that - not having diplomats just sucks.

062.jpg

Outcome of second Scottish-English war. Future looked brighter with every passing day.
The Portugese ruler decided to follow Castillian doctrine of national suicide.

063.jpg

In the early fifties, enormous efforts were made to replace deceased Siegmund Chlingensper. They were successful, and attracted the finest masters of the mint in Europe. Ophtalmologists warned against looking into future.

064.jpg

PIC006.jpg

Should have listened.

065.jpg

Free trade +1, and you can see how things look in eastern Europe.

The truce had expired, and war was once again waged against England. The Leinster refused to join the war, but after all, the only reason they were offered military alliance was to encourage them to annex Munster.

066.jpg

Of course, after a decade in bankrupcy cycle, the English were incapable of any resistance.

067.jpg

Though England had been Scotland's worst enemy for many years, it is difficult to treat majority of country's own population as interlopers, therefore...

068.jpg

Most excellent... And a bonus core to boot...!

Pray tell, should we expect to see the English removed in their entirety by the end of next update, or must you encourage someone to take their lands on the continent first...?

What's it like having 3 MoMs...? I only had one growing up, and that was hard enough to deal with... :D

Will Ireland remain or is that part of your Scottish claims...?

Looking forwards to seeing the Yellow Isle in all it's splendor...

T

I hope you're planning to let Ireland survive on its own, alongside Scotland. That would be nice to see.

Most excellent... And a bonus core to boot...!

Pray tell, should we expect to see the English removed in their entirety by the end of next update, or must you encourage someone to take their lands on the continent first...?

What's it like having 3 MoMs...? I only had one growing up, and that was hard enough to deal with... :D

Will Ireland remain or is that part of your Scottish claims...?

Looking forwards to seeing the Yellow Isle in all it's splendor...

T

Well, this is next update, so ...no.
And 3 MoMs are fine since inflation built up to ~2% and country is rather decentralized.

Also, I am afraid that Emerald Isle is too pretty to be left alone.

I hope you're planning to let Ireland survive on its own, alongside Scotland. That would be nice to see.

It's fun how everyone likes few minor nations, like Ireland or Byzantine Empire. I am a victim to this too - in case they appear/survive in my games I usually help them or try not to harm them. But this time, Ireland is too close.

Continuing chapter III.

In 1457, James continued his aggressive expansion, declaring war on Munster, though it was just a provocation to get Brittany and Leinster involved.

069.jpg

The war was long, but it was not because of the opponent's strength. The Scottish simply implemented their slow & safe war doctrine honed during last decades. James proved this by declaring a war on England, again. This time, Portugal pretended to honor their alliance, but did nothing to actually help.

070.jpg

071.jpg

The English were humuliated, again. So was Leinster, but you won't find much historical evidence about that. It is believed that it was not considered worth writing about in this period of time.
The conquest of Brittany, on the other hand was well documented, for it increased tensions between Paris and Edinburg rapidly.

072.jpg

073.jpg

Having gained many new lands, the relative income from trade, which had long been the greatest pillar of Scottish economy fell in favour of taxes. James saw this, and efforts to centralize began.

29th of August, 1465

074.jpg

The Yellow military pact was signed.

Meanwhile, things looked funny in eastern Europe, unless you were an eastern European.

075.jpg

Go Zaporozhie!

In the sixties, the despicable French built a large fleet, and their naval power started to rival those of the Yellow powers. At this time, Scotland began focusing on navy heavily.

076.jpg

The illustrious Castillians proved James he has chosen a strong nation to make friends with. A strong nation, that is not afraid to take what they want. That qualities would be needed to keep the balance of powers in continental Europe.

077.jpg

078.jpg

Unfortunately, James I. would not see his allies' triumph, because he died after a stroke in 1467.

Unfortunately, James I. would not see his allies' triumph, because he died after a stroke in 1467.

The day was ending almost as quickly as the King... Whispers of 'not long now' floated through the great hall as everyone awaited the final words. A few hoped against hope that James I would somehow make a miraculous recovery, that he would continue to lead this great nation even higher than the than it already was. A ripple ran through the crowd as the King's attendants filtered through the people, gathering together a select few individuals for a last moment with the dying Monarch...

As the sun was setting, the life of the King was fading with it. His servants propped him up so he could see those he had called. These were the ones. Those precious, trusted few. These men who had stood by him, supported him, carried him...

"I have been honored by your presence... Before I left this earth, I wanted you to know this. I also want to thank you for your service, and to tell you that all of Scotland owes you their very lives."

The Kings cloudy eyes went from person to person as he spoke. All in the room could see it was with the last of his strength he delivered this to them.

After this, his eyes clouded again, looking somewhere else, some time else. For a brief moment he smiled, lost in some memory from a day gone by. This time he spoke to no one in particular. He cast his voice into the room without cause or concern, knowing as he spoke it was for them all.

"When I was young, they told me that yellow was the color of cowards..."

He took in his last breath and spoke one final time...

"Not any more..."

-------------------------

Nice update...

Can't wait to see the first war of 'Frenchonian' aggression... :cool: Looks to be a real 'clash of the titans' affair...

T