• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

OrangeYoshi

Mushroom Korps Field Marshal
20 Badges
Mar 6, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Legio
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • The Kings Crusade
Succession Game

[post=10359615]Organization Thread[/post]

This is like a massive multi-ruler single player game. Each player gets to play until the current ruler dies or is voted out of office. When that happens, they save the game and post it in the organization thread, and the next player will continue on. Each player will preferably write an AAR update in this thread, and it shouldn't be too hard as you won't be playing for much more that 10-15 years at a time.

Here are the players and their votes so far for the country we will play.

Sign-ups are still open as is voting. I'll leave voting open for one more day, but sign-ups will be available until the game is over.

The current play order is as follows:

6354201 - [post=10364307]First round AAR[/post]
Shawnyboy - [post=10370883]First Round AAR[/post]
pascal - [post=10381938]First Round AAR[/post]
Junuxx - [post=10385335]First Round AAR[/post]
Gorgo Primus - [post=10388357]First Round AAR[/post]
Panopticon - [post=10413665]First Round AAR[/post]
Maldenic - [post=10434303]First Round AAR Part 1[/post] - [post=10436305]Part 2[/post]
Ulyaoth - [post=10460889]First Round AAR[/post]
Emperor Ike - [post=10518039]First Round AAR[/post]
Kingslanding
pilsen
jasond363
Dariush
cledde
Kajo
OrangeYoshi
SharpFish
enkhuush
jonlucero
Prussia Rules

This order is subject to change as people drop out and new people sign up. You can trade spots with someone if you like, but be sure to notify me so I can edit this list.​

Last edited:
The most glorious reign of Gian Galeazzo I Visconti, King of Milan from 1395-1428:

As told by Felice Ghislieri, a great judge in the court of the King who was active during the duration of his reign, lived through the regency period immediately following the death of Galeazzo, and saw the coronation of King Galeazzo III, the rightful successor to the throne. All told, Ghislieri has served Milan for 34 years.

advisori.png

Here are his words:

The reign of the most honorable Gian Galeazzo I Visconti, King of Milan, henceforth referred to simply as King Galeazzo I or Galeazzo, has created much controversy in the immediate years following his death. While people emulate Milanese styles, the kingdom of Milan has also gained an extremely bad reputation due to the late King's actions.

Beginning his reign in 1395, Galeazzo spent the first few years of reign in relative calm and peace compared to later parts of his reign. Beginning in 1399, Galeazzo began to have strange dreams of himself as not only King of Milan, but Emperor of Rome, and all of Italy. These dreams turned to a frenzied and frantic push for aggressive military action, and Galeazzo began to enlarge the Milanese army. He also moved to centralize his kingdom to further tighten his control, a move he would make two more times during his reign.

Milan in 1399, showing the Battle of Parma fought against those who rebelled against Galeazzo's attempts at centralization:

eu355.png

After defeating the rebels, Galeazzo turned his lustful gaze on Ferrara, a kingdom which was splitting Milan into two disconnected parts on the peninsula. Galeazzo declared war on Ferrara, and Mantua and the Holy Roman Emperor, Bohemia, unwisely joined. The end result of the war was as follows: Ferrara ceded Modena and became a vassal, Mantua was annexed into Greater Milan, while Bohemia, after suffering repeated defeats at the hands of the glorious Milanese army, agreed to sign white peace, the war was concluded in 1404.

eu358.png

Galeazzo decided that with his fine tuned army, no Italian city state stood any chance of stopping him. But his gaze rested not only on Rome and Italy, but also on becoming a grand sort of 'Roman' Emperor. With this in mind, he declared war on Switzerland, while foolhardy Tuscany followed by the Palitinate, the new Emperor, who answered the call to arms by beleagured Switzerland. Milan's armies were swift in their defeat of the forces arrayed against them. Tuscany was annexed in July 1404, followed by peace with Switzerland, which ceded it's eastern most province while agreeing to become a vassal of Milan. Soon thereafter the Palatinate fell to Milan's armies, and also became a vassal. The Palatinate, being an elector of the Holy Roman Emperor, also decided to cast their vote for the election of Galeazzo as Emperor. Slowly but surely, Galeazzo's dreams were beginning to become reality.

eu3600.png

In 1407, Galeazzo decided to further strengthen his already powerful army by instituing the national idea of Military Drill. The Milanese army would soon become famous their impeccable discipline and their high morale in battle due to this decision.

eu364.png

Having always had friendly relations with the King of Bavaria, the recently elected Holy Roman Emperor, it came to no surprise to Galeazzo when he was offered the position of elector in the Holy Roman Emperor by his good friend. Galeazzo happily accepted the offer, and his dreams of Emperorship seemed closer and closer to reality.

eu365.png

eu366.png

Having been at peace for far too long (a couple years), Galeazzo hatched a plan that would result in Milan's realms stretching from Northern Switzerland to the boot of Italy by war's end. The insignificant nation of Urbino was guarenteed or allied with the Papal State, Naples, Siciliy, and Genoa. In short, all of Galeazzo's rivals on the peninsula. He declared war on Urbino and like clockwork, the aformentioned rivals joined the war against Milan and her vassals. Milan made short work of all of them however.

eu3677.png

Sicily was also forced to become a vassal of Milan. At this point, Galeazzo's reputation had become rather poor, as other states watched Milan nervously in fear of being the next victim. Accordingly, Galeazzo was treachoursly backstabbed when a rival arranged for his excommunication. Instead of seeking to apologize for his actions and hope for forgiveness by the Pope, Galeazzo instead declared the Pope's opinion to be of little consequence, and declared himself the final, legal authority on all matters of religion. Not surprisingly, the citizens of Milan still viewed their leader as one who was condemned to goto hell, despite Galeazzo's grand posturing.

eu371.png

Impressed by Galeazzo's courage, the gracious and honorable King of Hungary sought fit to convince the Pope to reconsider his earlier condemnation of Galleazo, and in turn he lifted the unjust excommunciation.

eu372.png

The Kingdom of Milan, 1413:

eu373.png

Galeazzo was eager for war, and in search of more blood and glory for his kingdom, he entered war against Venice, the Papal State, Savoy, and Bohemia. Galeazzo swiftly conquered Rome, and Galeazzo wasted no time in quickly annexing the Papal State. Unfortunately, his attempts at finding the Pope and beheading him were met with failure. Fortunately, Venice , Savoy and Bohemia soon crumbled under the might of Milan's armies, and quickly signed peace.

eu374.png

Fortunatelly reinforcements arrived and put down the revolt. Galeazzo's love for Rome and Empire led him to create a grand new center of trade in Rome. Nearly all of Milan would trade through this new trade center, which would further cement Galeazzo's authority over his new possessions while lining his pockets with gold.

eu377.png

From this point followed a period of great peace in Milan. Galeazzo consolidated his gains while glorifying the city of Milan with the construction of a massive new Church. This peace did not last long however, as under Galeazzo peace only served to interrupt war. War was declared upon Aquileia, Sardinia, Venice and Genoa. This war was quick and swift, with Milan annexing Sardinia and forcing Aquileia to become a vassal.

eu378.png

This would, unfortunately, be the last war of Galeazzo's reign. Galeazzo was 73 at the conclusion of his last war, and the remaining years of his reign were spent in declining health. At the age 77, Galeazzo passed away with no immediate heir available.

eu380.png

Galeazzo would leave a grand legacy behind him. While some might say, accurately, that Galeazzo was a crazy and barbaric conqueror, they fail to see the lighter side of Galeazzo. He was a king who always took the extra step when it came to his people. For example, he once allowed concessions to the wealthy merchant class in his empire, resulting in a move towards a plotucratic government. Of course, Galeazzo was also famous for his love for public executions.

eu381.png

Galeazzo's great dream of an empire might have fell short, but as a great lover of political theory the universities in his realm flourished, which has lead to Milan being a world leader in governemntal theories. Unfortunately, Galeazzo's focus on military resulted in Milan being behind in several other areas of technology.

eu382.png

The army of Milan, though not the largest in the world, is still very numerous and has a quality that is nearly unsurpassed.

eu383.png

The large addition of new provinces to Milan has resulted in Lombard losing some of its majority status in the empire as a whole. Galeazzo's reign also resulted in Milan being a kingdom where the majority of its land was a new addition.

eu384.png

In the area of diplomacy, Milan has seven loyal vassals. Milan also has great relations with Brandenburg, an elector in the Holy Roman Empire.

eu385.png

Thus concludes this history of Gian Galeazzo I Visconti, King of Milan.

overview.png

Long live his successor, Galeazzo III!

eu386.png

NOTE: I'm sorry if this was a bit long to read, but I really enjoyed my very eventful time as ruler of Milan, so I hope you all enjoyed it reading about it as much as I did playing it=) Also, I came up with the age of Galeazzo by looking at his date of birth on Wikipedia.

EDIT: I should also mention that, as you can see in the EU3 history for my king, I switched to Despotic Monarchy. I did this in order to stay under the reputation limit while I annexed the Papal State and continued to take territory (eventually annexing Sardinia as well).

Link to savegame: http://www.easy-share.com/1908355614/Milan_Succession_Game_1433.zip

Last edited:
impressive..:) 34 years and the italian peninsula is 99% ours..:D the AAR is a fairly long but nice read, dont worry..:)

I like your style and it was good job! But what's the current BB point? I think it's greater than 20.

same question on my mind.
although, he's done some measures to cap the BB (ie he changed gov't into despotic monarchy)

Please remember the 20 screenshot limit we are now using in AARland. The above update exceeds this. Please can future posters stick to the limit.

Clearly, there is only one solution to the diplomatic problem: INVADE FRANCE.

haha of course..haha:rofl:

Please remember the 20 screenshot limit we are now using in AARland. The above update exceeds this. Please can future posters stick to the limit.

we'll do..:)

I like your style and it was good job! But what's the current BB point? I think it's greater than 20.

Thanks=) It's around 33 I think. From 1428 to 1433, I did nothing during my regency council, so no badboy was accumulated. I also picked up a -.10 reputation advisor somewhere around that time.

My bad about the screenshot limit, though in my defense I was only two over, at 22:p

Unfortunately the blue blob will be more overpowered than usual for at least a few more years. France became HRE shortly after my King died when I had my regency council. This is unfortunate because the next King would have definitely been elected, as I had three votes for me (myself, the palatinate, and brandenburg) while the next closest, France, only had two.

Excellent job 6354201! What's your inflation?

Thanks, but you might want to change your statement after I answer your question:p I minted to get 500 ducats to build the center of trade in Rome, and for awhile my army was over my force limit. Those two factors combined with the fact that I got to +3 stability and my treasury slider ended up maxed out for awhile until I realized it resulted in a rather high inflation of 14%.

Oh well! A bit high but not unsurmountable. Hopefully we'll get a few cores by border disputes or other events/missions, otherwise it will take ages before census taxes begin to kick in.

Yeah some border events would have been nice. As it stands now, the earliest new core will be somewhere around 1454 I think, which isn't too bad, but still a little problematic.

The good news is that Italy will be easily formed before 1500.