• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bittenfeld

Second Lieutenant
42 Badges
Sep 23, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
The Golden Harp

if4pqq.jpg

Playing: Duchy of Leinster
Starting Scenario: 1066
Difficulty: Normal
Aggression: Coward
Playing With: Crusader Kings + Deus Vult + 2.1 beta patch + DVIP + Addons

I imagine a lot of people play Crusader Kings as one of the larger kingdoms in areas where expansion is easy. For example, the King of Denmark can expand southward and eastward into pagan lands, while Robert Guiscard, Duke of Apulia, can create the Kingdom of Sicily without much trouble and has no shortage of Muslims to wage war on. Most strategy games are played this way, but CK allows you to set a relatively less ambitious goal – to unify a bunch of smaller realms into a minor regional power, or to just survive in an ocean of hostility. (See "Suenik the Beleaguered" for a well-played and hilarious case of the latter.)

This will be the former. This AAR will track my progress as I attempt to create a united Ireland. I will be starting out as the Duchy of Leinster, which is the largest of the Irish dukedoms. This does not mean I will have an easy time of it, though. My neighbors will not simply turn their titles over to me, and on top of their alliances with foreign nations, I will have to keep an eye on internal concerns as well.

Still, a lot of time can pass where, admittedly, nothing much happens. But AARs are about storytelling, so I will be adding flavor with bits of history, both based on fact and the fictional, alternate history the game creates. These parts will be written in green text.
Conversely, if you only want to follow the AAR as a game as its played, I will write my own thoughts, reactions and plans in gold text. By the way, guess what the two colors of the Leinster flag/coat-of-arms are?

So, sit down and relax, and hopefully with the luck of the Irish I'll avoid the Paradox curse! :)

The field, which was so verdant in summertime, lay under a heavy snow, and even through heavy furs one could feel the bite of the winter chill. Looking out at the landscape from one of the windows of his castle, Diarmait mac Máele-na-mbó could see nothing but pure whiteness, could hear nothing but the crackling embers in the fire burning in the hearth beside him. The sheer nothingness allowed him to think deeply, to muddle over the state of his kingdom without distraction.

In his mind's eye, Diarmait could visualize all the territory under his control. From his capital here in Ferns, his influence extended throughout the prosperous southeastern quarter of Ireland. His own domain was the province of Laigin. Through a series of conquests and connections, the lords of Osraige, Dublin and the Isle of Man knelt their knee to him. All around him, however, were erstwhile allies and long-time enemies. Munster, Connacht, Mide, and the various dynasties in the north… They were all potential threats to what Diarmait had built up for him and his kin. He would have to be careful, lest it all collapse before his eyes.

20ayzqr.jpg

So this is our starting location. As you can see, the Duke of Leinster (green) only controls one province right now; the others belong to his three vassals. The Duke of Munster (blue) only has one vassal but has two provinces under his direct control. The Duke of Connacht (dark brown) has one vassal and one demesne. Mide (brown) is sandwiched in central Ireland, while from left to right Sligo (dark yellow), Tir Connail (khaki), Tir Eoghain (gray) and Ulaid (beige) are independent counties. Basically, we want to expand quick, preferably gobbling up the counties so we can get a leg up on those other dukedoms.

Reflecting on his accomplishments, Diarmait could not help but remember his own humble beginnings. His father had been known as "The Cattle Rustler" and for most of his career he had been a typical Irish prince. He had finally earned distinction when he provided shelter to a pair of Anglo-Saxon nobles named Harold and Leofwine Godwinson. At the beginning of the year, Harold had been crowned King of England – only to be killed in battle during the Norman invasion eight months later. Still, in the brief period where Harold ruled, Diarmait had had a powerful friend. These days, however, as he entered his twilight years, he enjoyed the company of the fairer sex – and all the pleasure they brought with them.

1xyups.jpg

Despite historically being something of an above average Irish lord, Diarmait in the game isn't all that great on his own. Still, he's far from terrible, and of all the traits to have, Lustful is a pretty good one! It means he likes to get it on, and usually the more kids you have, the less likely your bloodline will run out – which means "game over" in CK.

His mind on reproduction, Diarmait turned his thoughts to his two sons. His eldest, Murchad, ruled Dublin. It had been an important Viking settlement before Diarmait captured it fifteen years ago, a serendipitous adventure that had begun as a raiding jaunt but transformed into a major coup when the town's owner fled without provocation. Dublin came both with great commerce – and a great navy. Murchad was well-trusted with these useful commodities, as he was neither devious nor ambitious. On the contrary, he was an honest, plain-spoken man who shared his father's appetite for women but, even in this vice, was not indulgent. But although his inoffensive, modest nature made him dependable and likable, Murchad would likely lack the toughness sometimes needed from a leader… Fortunately, he had his brother Enna to rely on. Enna was, in a word, a warrior and little else. He was the grand commander of the armed forces under Diarmat's control. Unfortunately, these forces amounted to a handful of knights and a few hundred lightly armed peasants. Leinster depended on the troops of its vassals in anything larger than a minor skirmish.

154gkzb.jpg

So let's check out the heirs Diarmait already has. Murchad is the Count of Dublin and one of our vassals, so we can depend on him to be pretty loyal… Plus, that title is increasing his prestige, so he's not just some nobody no one has ever heard of when he assumes power. Also, as another bonus, he's Lustful, so hopefully we'll have even more children carrying on the family name! Enna is the Marshal in our court, having a respectable Martial skill. Murchad has a higher one, though, which is important, because due to the "law of the land", the son who is considered "the strongest" is the primary heir.

Diarmait had chosen other family members for the rest of his court as well. His wife served as his Chancellor, who oversaw the administration of the state as well as external affairs; his cousin Amalgein tended to the coffers, ensuring that funds were appropriated to the appropriate places; and Loigsech, his nephew, saw to the security of realm, keeping track of seditious elements in the court and gathering information on enemies foreign and domestic. Sadly, there was no man of great piety to serve as bishop. Financially speaking, Leinster was barely breaking even. In terms of technology, knowledge did not extend far past swords and walls. These were simple and brutal times, and most of Ireland was the same way.

t0g1zm.jpg

So this is Leinster's starting court, with all the positions filled by people from the royal family. We're going to let some time pass and let our court be filled by randomly generated personalities, but none of them are going to have terrific stats. We'll deal with that in a bit. In terms of economics, I set my taxes so the loyalty of all classes (peasants, merchants, clergy and nobles) drains to around 75%. We're kind of poor right now, though, so raising taxes doesn't net us much right away. We're going to be making a profit of around 3 every month at the moment. As you can see, I've set the Advances to technologies I think will be most useful. We don't know much, but neither does the rest of Ireland! I should also mention infrastructure-wise, we're starting from scratch… All we have is a little fort and that's it.

I didn't take a screenshot of the Laws screen, but as I stated earlier, the strongest son inherits. This means that the son with the most titles inherits, with the tiebreaker being the son with the highest Martial skill (or at least I believe that's how it works). Traditional Custom is also in place and there is Ecclesial Balance, meaning that the power of both the secular lords and the clergy are more or less on the same level.

Perhaps things would improve in the coming year. Perhaps, before his end would come, Diarmait would bring more glory and wealth to his people. He was getting on in years, yes, but his spirit was strong. As he turned away from the window, he clenched his fist and made a vow to himself. He would not rest, never retire, not until he had become High King of Ireland…

Suddenly, he coughed. He put a hand to his chest, shocked by how intense it was. Then he coughed again. And again. It was several moments before he recovered from the fit. He looked to the window and the harsh conditions outside. Perhaps he had stayed by the window too long…

afaibn.jpg

This is bad news. If you were sick in medieval times, you were on death's door. Plus, Diarmait is no spring chicken, so things look pretty bleak. And we just started the game! Come on, man! Let's cross our fingers and hope this isn't the end for our fearless leader…

The envoy had shown all due supplication upon his arrival at the castle in Ferns. "I bring greetings from Conchobar Ua Máelshechnaill, King of Mide," he announced. "He would form an alliance with Leinster, with the hope that we would stand together in the face of mutual foes. While our two lands are formidable on their own, together the might of our armies would be insurmountable."

Diarmait had taught himself long ago how to laugh on the inside, his features unchanged. He would have done so now, had he not felt so miserable. His head ached, his body felt cold and… this accursed cough! It was not a chuckle but a whimper he suppressed as he addressed the envoy. "Very well. Inform your lord that the Kingdom of Leinster and the Kingdom of Mide are allied. If crisis should come to either of us, one should not hesitate to call on the other for aid."

The envoy grinned from ear to ear. Diarmait knew why. Situated as it was between the much larger kingdoms, Mide was vulnerable. It was only a matter of time before Leinster, Munster or Connacht stole its sovereignty. This would have most definitely happened if it were on its own; allied with Leinster, however, it stood a chance of survival. The lion was protecting the mouse so the mouse could be eaten later, at the lion's choosing. At the moment, Diarmait felt no urge to lead an army… He just wanted to get well!

mr5n5g.jpg

Is your face buried in your palm? We should be making a claim on Mide, not allying with it! Well, right now we can't make a claim because we don't have enough prestige to cook one up. Also, we want to build up our money and our forces before we jump into a war. Plus, going into battle with a sick Duke would probably not be wise…

Spring was traditionally the wedding season, but a flurry of matrimony had taken place in February. Enna, strangely a bachelor at his age, had been married as quickly as possible to a fiscally-minded young woman named Eua, one of the Norse-Gaels from the western coast of Scotland. After that, a charismatic young woman from the Isle of Man was betrothed to one of Diarmait's courtiers. Finally, a sly and stealthy lass from the south – Tuadmumu, to be precise – was pledged to eternal bliss with yet another one of Diarmait's kin. Of all the bachelors in Diarmait's family, all had been married off save for young Loigsech… There was no need; at least, not for the time being. Diarmait had both selected a coterie of brilliant and beautiful damsels, satisfying his tastes in intelligence and comeliness in one swoop.

209lzqs.jpg

It's good to have young and Lustful women for your heirs. However, we'll take the risk and assume that Marshal Enna won't displace his older brother in the succession order. The other two, who aren't currently in the running at all, are also married to Gaelic gals whose primary attractiveness is that they are really good at one specific thing. Now, we'd like to have had at least one of these guys marry the daughter of a Gaelic title-holder, but there aren't any – at least not in and around Ireland.

"Naw, naw food," Diarmait said softly, pushing the dish away. He was laid up in bed again, his head pounding, flush with fever, his stomach nauseous. Despite praying for recovery day and night, he had not felt one iota better since he had become ill; if anything, he was worse. He had, after much pressure from his wife, tried to eat some cooked meat, but had been unable to keep it down. On top of his vomiting, he was also coughing up soft little yellow pieces. He had begun to think that maybe he had been poisoned. Who had it been? Who was it? His mind raced, which only made the fever more intense. What in God's name was wrong with him?

28tax4y.jpg

Uh-oh…

Diarmait pressed his clammy hands together and closed his eyes. "Holy Father, if I have fallen from your grace… if no doctor may give me relief… If I am buried 'neath the sod… If your angels will not receive me…" He swallowed hard and tried to make some heat by rubbing his hands together. He was so cold, so cold… Except for his head, which was as hot as a searing fire! He reached for the bowl of water beside his bed and caught his reflection. Beneath the wrinkles, beneath the blue flesh, there was a prince…

"Diarmait… Diarmait mac Máele-na-mbó…"

Diarmait raised his head. "Who calls to me with such familiarity? Murchad? Enna?" His eyebrows narrowed, drilling together. "Or is it an assassin? Who's there? Reveal yourself!"

"'Tis me," the voice said coolly. "Ruaidrí mac Taidc. Your auld rival." The tone turned curious. "Have you forgotten me, Diarmait? You son of a cattle thief! You wee nothing!" A laugh broke out, deep from the belly, and it sent a shiver down Diarmait's spine.

"It cannot be," he whispered. "I killed you! I tore out your eyes!" He began swinging at the air, pushing himself against the wall. It was to no avail. The same deep, haunting laugh filled his ears. He tried to scream, but no sound came from his throat. He closed his eyes shut hard… so hard that he saw a bright light flash before him…

The next morning, Diarmait was found dead in his bed, done in by his poor health.

2wfsu4l.jpg

Well, that stinks!

It's getting late… Next time, we begin the adventures of our new Duke, who takes the reigns less than five months into the game!

Please let me know what you think! What do you like? What don't you like? What would you like to see in the future? Just keep things on-topic and respectful! Thanks! :)

Last edited:
At 71 Diarmait wasn't long for this world anyway.
Doesn't reducing the loyalty of the people reduce the amount of taxes they pay?

I love getting in on the ground floor of a new AAR, especially one that says nice things about mine ;)

I like the style - dividing out "gamey" and "roleplaying" sections in different colours is a particularly nice touch. I know that there are people out there that are sometimes only interested in one or the other so this makes things easier for them.

It's also nice to see someone trying to do something with one of the little guys - these tend to end in surprising success or heroic defeat and both are fun to read.

I'll be subscribing!

@Devin: Yeah, he was an old guy! However, according to historical sources, Diarmait died leading his armies against Mide in 1072. Of course, we have no way of knowing how old he was because we have no idea when he was born, although he is mentioned as first troubling the local Vikings in 1037.

As for loyalty and taxes... Raising taxes lowers the loyalty of the people. This can be offset by things like Advances and Buildings. As a rule, I tax all people as much as I can until their loyalty hovers around 75%, around which time I ensure their loyalty is increasing by at least +10 each month.

@Iain: Thank you so much for checking out my AAR! I have to say your Suenik game inspired me to try playing one of the "little guys" as well as get back into storytelling, which CK really lends itself well to. I may very well end up going out in a heroic defeat, but hopefully I'll tell a decent story doing so.

Anyway, update coming!

Though it was not the time of the day when the church bells were usually rung, the heavy, regular gonging resounded through the town of Ferns and echoed far into the hills. This was the day of the funeral, when Diarmait mac Máele-na-mbó, King of Leinster, would be buried, and people came from the nearby villages to pay their respects and watch the procession of noble kin as they marched, bereaved, in remembrance of a truly remarkable man.

The funeral sermon was the traditional sort, full of praise and lamentation. "It is good that we should feel a great loss in our hearts," said the priest, "although we must remember to show restraint. We should remember the willpower that Diarmait mac Máele-na-mbó showed in his place as prince and ease the suffering of others by putting on a brave face. The loss of our lord cannot help but be noted, but let us be rational and recall that a new lord has been named, and he has a splendid model to emulate."

Murchad mac Diarmata, formerly King of Dublin and now King of Leinster, inclined his head. Sitting there in the somber church, surrounded by his relations, he did not need to be reminded of the heavy burden on his shoulders. He would have liked nothing less than to let the tears stream down his face, to allow the emotion pour fourth without control. He knew, however, that he was expected to grieve the appropriate amount; if he were to let loose, word might spread that he was hysterical, unbalanced. He tried to push aside the memories of his father by thinking about the affairs of the realm and what lay ahead for it.

First of all, someone was needed to oversee Dublin, now that Murchad had relocated to Laigin, the customary seat of Leinster. To that end, he had given his brother, Enna, his old crown. Although this meant that someone reliable and trustworthy would rule in Dublin, it also meant that a new commander would have to be found to lead the forces of Leinster. It was an acceptable trade-off, however, as Dublin was too important to entrust to someone whose loyalty was suspect.

2e2lf0z.jpg

In retrospect, it might have been better to have kept Dublin and given Laigin to Enna as I believe Dublin is slightly better province-wise. Oh, well. At any rate, it's usually a good idea to appoint family members as your vassals since things like family ties and succession order improve vassal loyalty. Still, always mouse over a courtier's loyalty to see whether they're more likely to stay loyal to you or become rebellious.

With Enna in Dublin, the court at Laigin was remarkably different than what it had been at the start of 1067. The marriages that Diarmait had arranged before his death were still in place and Murchad saw no good reason to remove any of them from their positions. His cousin, Fáelán, was regarded as almost as capable a general as Enna was, and while he had been named Marshal, Murchad did not anticipate calling on his skills soon. He wanted to grieve, not fight.

ztvo5z.jpg

When someone who had a court takes over the title you're playing as, always check your court to see if someone has "come over" that you could use. Go to the court screen and click "Appoint" and just look to see if anyone has a higher skill level than the person you currently have in that position. No one of note has followed Murchad from Dublin, so the only spot we're going to fill is Marshal, made empty by Enna's departure. Fáelán has a Martial skill of 11, one lesser than what Enna has, so we're not taking too much of a hit.

Murchad wrung his hands as looked down the bench at his young son, Donnchad, who was but two years old. He was Murchad's only boy and, as such, his only heir. He was a tall and robust lad, even at this early age, and it was predicted he would display great physical prowess in the future. Still, even though no one spoke of it, Murchad was expected to produce other strapping male children to defend the land and, if necessary, assume the title. That Diarmait had died of illness rather than old age reminded everyone present that one could die at any time, whenever it was the will of God to call someone to judgment.

deofbd.jpg

This is Donnchad, the current successor to the Duke of Leinster. He has a high Martial skill, which is good, because the strongest heir is the one that inherits. This fact will also drive us in his upbringing, prompting us to go with decisions that increase his Martial level. Now, it would have been a good idea to appoint Donnchad as Count of Dublin, so his prestige could start growing. Unfortunately, Donnchad is only two and can't be given a title until he comes of age – specifically, when he turns 16.

The rest of the year passed without incident. In the hopes of winning the favor of the people and starting his first full year as King of Leinster on a good note, Murchad initiated a project designed to encourage timber production in Laigin. The peasants would be put to work, the economy would be stimulated and, best of all, lumber would no longer have to be imported from elsewhere. This would help immensely with future construction, as an essential resource needed to build new buildings would be handily available.

eff5sy.jpg

We have around 110 gold amassed thanks to scrutage and taxes. We can either build a Forestry or a Fishing Wharf. Both increase the amount of gold we get from the province, but the Forestry has the added benefit of speeding up construction time. The leftover 10 gold should be enough to cover us should a random event occur between now and next month.

His hands white-knuckled as it gripped the arms of his chair, Murchad could not bring himself to look directly at his mother. She was Derbforgaill, daughter of Donnchad mac Briain, who in turn was the son of the famous Brian Boru – who had subjugated both Leinster and Munster. The blood of a High King of Ireland ran through her veins – and by extension, he told himself, through his as well. It was no easy thing watching his parents die, but at least in this case she had passed in the middle of the night, taken by angels while she roamed the dreamlands. She would know peace now, freed from the troubles and responsibilities that this life brought with it. Instead she would be with God now, united with her honored forebear. Murchad hoped they would look after him; he was still very much consumed by his duties.

20jhjk7.jpg

Nothing much to say here. She's dead! As a doornail! You can read about her famous grandfather here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Boru

"I am telling you!" the peasant woman shouted, thumping an open palm against the simple, stained tunic draped over her lithe, withered body. "He cursed me and me crops! He came a-ridin' by, lookin' down his nose…"

"That is no crime." Murchad said it flatly, without emotion, but the dour expression on his face showed his patience was wearing thin. He leaned forward in his chair in his audience chamber, where he usually received guests of much higher esteem than this.

"So it ain't," the woman said, her tone adopting some humility. "But a fortnight later, all me crops were dead and so was my livestock. Then me boys died, and after that, my husband. They was stout, healthy! Yet now they is buried in the ground, food for worms, all on account of him!"

She raised a bony finger at the accused: Fáelán, the Marshal in Murchad's court and his blood-kin too. Steel blue eyes stared at the woman. It was clear the man-of-arms would have liked nothing better than to rip the tongue right out of her throat. But, because Murchad had called a trial to hear the peasant woman out, Fáelán stayed his hand. Having a trial was better than simply being executed and there was the chance he would escape with his life...

Murchad frowned deep. He did not want to believe that Fáelán was guilty, but… The rumors had been circulated throughout Laigin for days and the common people were ready to explode into revolt if something was not done. On top of all that, Murchad was a true believer: practitioners of magic were real, and the Bible said that he should not suffer a witch (or in this case, a warlock) to live. It had been suggested in some quarters that Fáelán was very fortune to take the place of Enna, and that it had been more than luck that smiled upon him…

It was decided, both to appease the masses and Murchad's soul. Fáelán would die at dawn.

2q3ramv.jpg

More bad news! Fáelán is accused of black magic. We could send him to the Inquisition and get a boost in piety, but Fáelán is the best Marshal we could have right now. We could say there is no such thing as witchcraft, but that would lower our piety and possibly give us a negative trait that puts us at odds with the Church. We go the 50-50 route, holding a local trial… Unfortunately, Fáelán dies. We're going to need a new Marshal!

Sorry that this update is about half as long as I planned it to be, but it's getting kind of late again! I'll try uploading the rest of this particular chapter tomorrow…

Sorry that this update is about half as long as I planned it to be, but it's getting kind of late again! I'll try uploading the rest of this particular chapter tomorrow…

Another good update! And no need to apologise - we all know the pain of trying to churn out updates when half asleep ;)

Besides, it gives us something to look forward to today!

@Iain: Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, it is a bit hard to keep quality at the front of your mind when your eyelids are feeling heavy!

In the dining room of the King of Leinster's castle, the smell of burning wood and boiling food filled the air. Outside, the last glow of sunset made it seem that some distant building was on fire, and crows circling the ancient monastery in Ferns looked like black ashes rising from the flames.

King Murchad sat at the head of the long table, picking at the meat piled on his plate. Brushing greasy fingers through his graying hair, he looked to his right at the middle-aged man with the pronounced widow's peak. "Cousin, I hope you will do us proud. I am entrusting you with great responsibility. You must protect our borders and keep the peace. Do not let me down."

Máel Mórda smiled as he lowered a cup of wine from his mouth. "I shall not. I will use the sword and shield to safeguard the state… and to expand its limits. Surely, you are not content to rest upon the laurels of your father, my lord?"

The reports concerning the man's gruffness were not exaggerated, Murchad thought. It was unusual for even relatives to speak so boldly. Still, Máel Mórda was the most qualified commander who could be entrusted with the position of Marshal. With Enna ruling as King of Dublin and Fáelán put to death, candidates were running out. Chewing a rather rough piece of beef, Murchad forced a grin and nodded. "Do not worry, my friend. We shall act, not just react. But before we can expand, we must consolidate. Do you not agree, my Marshal?"

Máel Mórda's smile widened. "Indeed I do, my lord. Indeed I do."

5n226t.jpg

We need a Marshal and thankfully the new one has a Martial skill that is one point less than the previous one. Again, we're not starting any battles yet, so it's not a big deal… Hopefully this one isn't a wizard!

"Do you know who I am? I am going to be King! Who do you think you are to tell me what to do? You just wait! When I become King, I am going to cut off your head! I might just tell my father what you did and have you put to death right now!"

Donnchad, Murchad's son (and still the only one he could lay claim to), easily intimidated other children his age with his size alone. When he bellowed such threats, he made them quake that much more. Usually they profusely apologized, but today the object of his fury stood tall. His name was Cuduiligh and his father was one of Murchad's many courtiers. "Is it too much to ask that his lordship share some of his toys? It's not like you are wanting for more!"

"What did you say?" Donnchad shouted, his face turning red. "You… You fool! You stupid fool!" He pounced upon Cuduiligh, shoving him to the floor. He began to kick, striking the smaller boy several times in the sides. It took several minutes before the nannies intervened and broke up the "fight" – which was more like a one-sided drubbing.

Later that evening, Cuduiligh's father spoke privately with Murchad. When the hallway was clear, what had transpired was related, although words were carefully chosen so as not to insult Donnchad too much. When all was said, Murchad raised an eyebrow. "And what would you have me do? Take him across my knee? Send him to the monks to teach him to be quiet and shy?"

Cuduiligh's father shrugged. "It is your decision, my lord."

"Yes, it is!" Murchad said sharply. "I am King, and one day, my son will be King. He will need to be hard, and sending him to some monastery to become milquetoast will be of no service to him and no service to Leinster! My father was a bold man, just like Brian Boru… If Donchadd is half as inclined to action, he will make a good ruler. Yes, he may be something of a bully now, but as he matures he will learn to direct his passion properly…"

Cuduiligh's father nodded, bowed slightly at the waist and began to walk away. "As you say, my lord. My apologies for wasting your time."

2yum3rs.jpg

Although Murchad is not really mean (at least according to his traits) we want to encourage Donnchad to have an even higher Martial skill as we groom him for succession. Not only does Murchad's titles go the strongest heir, but as Murchad points out above, we need strong rulers to lead our armies when we inevitably fight wars – both to defend ourselves and to annex our neighbors.

"And who are you again?" Murchad asked, lazily crossing his legs and reclining in his chair. His eyes were heavy and he was eager to get to bed. Unfortunately, the affairs of state denied him the sweet pleasure that would come when he was finally able to stretch his legs out and sleep. He supposed he should be thankful that 1070 had come and so far progressed with so little fanfare, but the boredom was starting to grate on him.

"Murchad Ua Briain," the young man said, raising his head high. "I am related to your lordship on your mother's side. I have been a part of this court for some several years…"

"Yes, yes," the King said, waving his hand at the man who shared his name. "And what do you want?"

"My lord, I believe that I may be of use to you. I am quite skilled in gathering information. Why, just the other day I was informed that there was a plot upon your life. Perhaps if you would see fit to appoint me to a position in court, with a proper salary, I might aid you…"

The King's eyes almost rolled out of his head. "First of all, that you would try and use such information to blackmail me speaks ill of you. As my kin, if you had such information you should have told me immediately, rather than trying to use it to your advantage! Secondly, if you mean that Niall the Black Dog planned to assassinate me tomorrow on my hunting trip… My spies have already told me and the conspirators have been dealt with." He yawned. "Is that the plot you had uncovered, my boy? I would hope so, because Niall announced his intentions loudly enough when he was in his cups the other night…"

351fqlv.jpg

Yeah, this guy doesn't come close to our current Spymaster, so let's give him the boot. I probably won't include these events much more in the future, since some guys have a tendency to constantly demand positions even when they have junk for skills.

Marshal Máel Mórda slammed his fist on the table. "My lord, we are burning away an opportunity! When your father died, the alliance with the Kingdom of Mide dissolved! They are vulnerable, and every day that passes that we do not attack them is an invitation for the King of Munster or those dogs in Connacht to take from us what should be ours!"

"Sadly, many others will not see it that way," Murchad said matter-of-factly. Over the last few years, he had learned how to keep his composure when Máel Mórda spoke his mind. In fact, it was somewhat refreshing to talk with someone who was as honest as he himself was. "If we show too much brazen aggression, Munster and Connacht could possibly band together and crush us. Just because we have the chance to attack does not mean it is the right time. We must be patient."

"My lord, in this case, patience is not a virtue!" Máel Mórda sputtered. "If we are a little slow or a little late, we are done for! If one of our enemies takes Mide, every able-bodied man joins their army and we are at that much of a disadvantage. You must show that you have a greater resolve than your rivals and not concern yourself with what others think!"

"How can we not be a little slow, or a little late?" Murchad asked, knowing full well that waxing philosophical would be lost on his senior officer. "That would be a battle we could never win. Do not worry; when we do move, we shall do so with such commitment that there shall be no doubt as to our superior force. But if we show that we are willing to wait, to bide our time and not be reckless, our enemies will respect us that much more… Not think us weak."

29dagpy.jpg

The alliance with Mide went bye-bye because the person who made the alliance died. We can't declare war on this little province because we need to have a claim on the title, but sadly we can't create a claim because we lack the prestige! While our prestige is slowly growing each month, so will the prestige of the Count of Mide… until an event or something happens that brings it down. We just have to keep checking to see how much prestige we need. (As to why we don't go after one of the northern Irish counts, they have even higher prestige than the Count of Mide!)

The four or five sticks of wood in the hearth burned softly, giving off a pleasant aroma and lighting up the small room as if it were noon. The gentle smoke did not cause the eyes to smart; it looked like white petals billowing in the breeze, flecked now and again with sparks of purple-gold and crimson. Whenever the fire showed signs of dying down, the servant added foot-long strips of kindling from the scuttle.

Despite the beauty of the flames, Murchad was focused on something else. He had received some terrible news. Mac Congail, King of the Rhinns, had inherited control over the Isle of Man as well as the province of Tir Eoghain in the north. The previous holder of these titles had been one of Murchad's vassals; upon his death, however, it had passed to one of his kin, a blasted Norse-Gael who had, until now, had been a non-factor in Irish politics. Now he was a formidable force to contend with, a new rival in the north be watched…

10rsi8x.jpg

This is one of the historical things factored into DVIP. The Isle of Man passed to the Duke of Galloway in real life and so it happens in our game. We lose a vassal and in essence gain a potential enemy, because this guy has several claims on the counties of northern Ireland. We're starting to feel the pressure to expand…

"Aigneas, you wished to speak with me?" Murchad swept through the doorway and into the private chambers of his chief intelligence-gatherer.

Aigneas sat in the center of the room with her arms propped on a writing table, staring at the ceiling as she had been since morning. Her residence was fairly opulent, incomparable to the castle Murchad called home but well beyond the means of any commoner and above average for other members of the nobility.

Murchad plopped down in a chair and rubbed the sweat pouring down his brow. Rubbing his palms upon his knees, he eyed the servant who had followed after him. "Get me something cool to drink," he ordered, and she quickly disappeared. "Summer is here," he observed with a frown. "Too damned hot. I didn't hear any birds coming here. Maybe they have someplace they can go to escape this heat…"

"You're probably wondering why I asked you to meet me here," Aigneas said, lowering her head to look at Murchad. "After Fáelán died, you were a great comfort to me. You came to see me personally very often. I appreciated it very much."

"It was the least I could do," Murchad said meekly. "You were left alone…"

"Yes," Aigneas said, her voice strained. "At first, I thought it might have been… disrespectful to the memory of Fáelán. I wasn't sure if it was right. But eventually I realized that he would have wanted me to be happy. He was always very kind and generous. I figured he would have understood that I would feel the need to be intimate…"

"Of course," Murchad said. He was becoming very uncomfortable.

"As you know, I recently had a child… Cináed, my beloved boy. He has become the light of my life… I feel like I have something to live for again… But I have to say that I cannot raise the boy on my own… There are certain obligations that have to be fulfilled."

"Do you need an increase in salary?"

"I feel I am paid handsomely enough, my lord," Aigneas said. "I am not concerned so much as providing for the child as ensuring that is future is taken care of. He is of noble descent after all…"

"Is he?" Murchad arched an eyebrow. "I had assumed that you had, ah, indulged in a dalliance with someone, but I had had no idea who. I have to confess that the court has been abuzz with rumors, but I am not one for gossip…"

Aigneas turned ashen. A pause permeated the room. A hand went up to her mouth. "Oh, my God. You don't remember."

"Remember what?"

"My lord…" Aigneas looked down at the ground. "Last fall, during one of your visits, you were quite drunk. You sought to console me, and after we had drank quite a bit… Well, my lord, you wanted to and I did not stop you. I was so lonely and I…"

Murchad held up his hand. The serving woman stood in the doorway, holding a tray with a bottle and a glass upon it. "Go away," Murchad said firmly. She turned round and did just that. When she was gone, he motioned for Aigneas to continue.

"I never told a soul and was never going to speak of it. And then I became large with child. I said nothing about the father was, and most assumed that I, in my grief, had a dalliance with some unknown man to soothe my sorrows. Which was true… but the man was not unknown."

Murchad sighed. For the life of him, he could not remember such an encounter. Yet he did recall drinking far too much at a feast last year and could not recount what had happened… He was attracted to Aigneas, with her golden hair and pure, pale skin, and he was far from faithful to his wife. The story was plausible and he had no evidence to contradict her version of events. Apparently, he had a bastard.

2lt11sh.jpg

I usually play these things according to the stats of the ruler I'm playing as. Murchad is both lustful and honest, so I choose to admit that it is possible that the kid is his. We now have a bastard son of our very own!

Lot of RP this time... Next time, I'll try to add more "gamey" content. Unless people really like the RP... :p

Last edited:
RP is good - more please!

My last AAR was almost all RP - I very rarely indulged in gamey stuff. It was a lot of fun to write. Especially when the characters begin to take on a life of their own! It's especially satisfying when your readers start talking about your characters as if they're people, so keep up the good work!

@Iain: Thanks again for your praise! I do like writing the RP, but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. But I am reassured to hear some people are enjoying it!

"Cináed is dead," the doctor said, emerging from the bedchamber.

Seated in the dimly-lit room where he had been waiting virtually all night, Murchad raised his head, only to lower it a moment later. He tried his best to wipe the emotion from his face. Truthfully, he was greatly saddened, for although Cináed had been a bastard, he had still been kin. But it was already awkward for him to be here, in the house of his spymaster. He had to put on an iron demeanor to deflect any suspicions those present would have.

Murchad worried that Aigneas, Cináed's mother, would be upset by his lack of emotion. Surprisingly, he found her stolid face unnerving as she followed the doctor out of the room. He had expected her, as a mother, to be absolutely lugubrious; the opposite was true. "Aigneas, are you all right?" he found himself blurting, so stunned was he by her lack of feeling.

"Yes, my lord."

Her words were as cold as ice. Her lips were the only things on the face that moved. But her eyes betrayed her. Behind those deep brown orbs he could see a flickering pain, like a fire that refuses to go out despite the cold wind trying to blow it out. She had lost a great deal tonight, but she also knew that breaking out into hysterics would reflect poorly upon her reputation. She would grieve in her own way, on her own time; but this was neither the time nor the place.

vya810.jpg

Well, he wasn't headed for a great life as a bastard in medieval times, but it's never good when a family member is snuffed out at an early age. I think many CK players have had games where children seem to drop like flies, so I personally always worry about my family tree being too straight!

Willow trees near the bridge shimmered with a whitish glint, and a large heron zigzagged crazily from the river to the houses lined up near the bank. The roofs of the village, deprived of the gentle colors the sun swathed them in at twilight, were a dry, dusty gray. In the heat of high noon, a large group of laborers, freed from their backbreaking work for a short while, sat quiescent upon the ground. They had been employed by the King of Leinster to construct a new fishing wharf along the Dodder, with the hope that sea trout would be more readily available when the river was next in spate.

28ssigh.jpg

Our Forestry is finished, so let's build a Fishing Wharf. I know it increases the gold production in the province, but I don't remember it doing anything else besides that.

"Insolent child! Come back here right this instant!"

In his long career as a tutor to young Irish nobles, Cathal had been forced to deal with many willful children. His pupils often inundated their parents with complaints over his strictness; he took this as evidence he was doing his job properly. Most princes and aristocrats knew that little leniency could be granted in this harsh, cutthroat world, and did not coddle too much. They would not have abided Cathal to be cruel, but they did accept that he would be tough.

But Cathal was being pushed past toughness in his tutoring of Donnchad, the son of the King of Leinster. When the boy sat still, which was a rarity, he would focus on anything but his lesson; when he was made to concentrate, he would question and undermine Cathal whenever he got the chance, to the point where Cathal could not get a word in edgewise. Whenever punishment was meted out, Donnchad would simply run away, his nimble and athletic legs taking him far out of reach and soon out of sight.

Cathal did not run after him, however. Donnchad's destination was always the same – his father's study. The boy would make his appeals to do something – anything – besides his lessons. Unfortunately, King Murchad often obliged his sole progeny. This was infuriating, for it merely encouraged the bad behavior and stultified what little progress he was making. He was fuming when he rapped on the door and waited for an attendant to answer.

One did so – a handsome young man who smiled politely as he stepped out into the hallway to talk to Cathal. "Many apologies, sir. His lordship understands that young Donnchad should be taking his lesson in history. However, it has been decided that the boy shall have the afternoon off to play in the fields."

"And does his lordship understand the consequences of his actions?" Cathal's tone bordered on audaciousness.

The manservant pretended not to notice the rudeness. "His lordship feels Donnchad will benefit by getting out of doors and trying new things. To keep him cloistered and buried in books will make him intelligent, but could also make him sheepish and shy as well. He will benefit from being out in the world, learning from experience."

"You cannot learn history from experience!" Cathal snapped. "If there was a balance, I would not mind so. But his lordship indulges the boy in his recklessness and liveliness too much. Do you know about the Prodigal Son?"

"Of course."

"A shame his lordship has not! Just like the younger son, Donnchad is allowed to go out in the world – wasting his substance with riotous living. That parable was told so it might educate the followers of the Lord. Sadly, its meaning will be lost and he who was destined to follow his lordship will be lost!"

2rzsxuv.jpg

Our little Donnchad is an active kid, and since we're grooming him to be a big ole bully who is going to push the other Irish princes around, we don't want him sitting in a schoolroom all day – we want him to be out there playing with swords and shields (plastic Halloween ones, of course) and becoming Energetic or Valorous. So we choose to let him play rather than go to school.

It was evening when the convoy of horses approached the fort situated on the border between the lands of Leinster and Mide. Reddish lights twinkled inside the small buildings within the fortress walls, and the sound of crickets chirping filled the air. Little by little, the distance between the train of riders and gates closed up. With a loud shout, the lead rider called for the gates to be opened; after a few moments they did so, creaking as they were pushed wide. A flurry of excited cries filled the air.

"Is the son of the King with you?"

As the riders disembarked, a young man with a determined look on his face pushed his way through the crowd. He wore fine leather armor that had been tailored to his small body, and although he would not strike one as threatening, he did appear a dashing figure.

The commander of the fort's garrison, known for his pithy comments, stepped forward and saluted the boy. "You are Donnchad."

"Quite observant, commander," Donnchad said, folding his arms. "I hope the rest of your officers are not quite as dense…"

The sound of skin hitting skin resonated through the air. The slap had been quite expected; several of the riders who had arrived with Donnchad stood with their mouths open, their jaws hanging by a couple of centimeters. The most surprised of all, the boy who would someday be King of Leinster glared with tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Why did you—"

"Shut up!" the commander yelled. "You may be a prince in Ferns, but here on the frontier you are under my command. Out of obligation I pay you the respect of your title and acknowledge the authority of your father, but my first duty is to the security of the realm. The moment you passed through that gate, you came under my command – and under my command you shall remain, as a soldier in this unit. You will wake at dawn and eat the same insipid food as the rest of us. You will train with us. You will march with us. You will patrol with us. You will not grouse; your father is not here for you to whine to." He turned to walk away. "Welcome to the army."

2b1kkl.jpg

Makes sense, really. We want Donnchad to be a tough, martially-minded man, so it's the army for him.

The fishing wharf had been completed. In a matter of months, ships were entering and leaving the harbor regularly and soon the entire area was filled with the odor of fish. With waves humming steadily in the background, workers moved to and fro, carrying nets and poles and crates filled to the brim with all manner of creatures poached from the ocean. After a couple of months had passed and enough entrepreneurs had set up shop, enjoying the emerging market that had been created, the first tax collectors began to show up…

eqe2hj.jpg

The Fishing Wharf we had begun building ten months ago is finally finished.

Máel Mórda, the Marshal of Leinster, poured over the reports coming in from the field. On the borderlands, everything was quiet. Murchad's son was adjusting well enough to life as a soldier. There were no shortages of either men or weapons to arm them with. It was a serene state of affairs, and while that would have pleased a peace-loving man, Máel Mórda still longed for war.

His eyes remained on the Kingdom of Mide, the ripe and juicy morsel just waiting to be taken. Despite all odds, it had remained where it was, independent – and prospering. If anything, its present leadership was even better regarded than those who ruled over Leinster. This was a problem, for as long as the Church, the merchants and general opinion thought highly of Mide, the more waves would be caused were it to be unjustly assailed. He would have to continue to keep his ambitions for conquest on the shelf.

nxt9iq.jpg

Like I noted before – with the prestige growing ahead of our own, we can't make a claim and therefore cannot declare war… yet.

As Máel Mórda fantasized about campaigning, his daughter Bean-Mhumhan was dreading the convent. Her father, typically overprotective, had balked at the notion of allowing her to be raised by conniving nobles and had opted to have her sent off to some remote nunnery to be brought up to be a polite and demure lady. She was sharp enough for the rigorous studies she was destined for, and was amiable enough to love other children of God – but she also knew about the rigid lifestyle she would have to adopt. A timorous girl, she was scared to death at the thought of old women dressed in black, screaming in a maddening dissonance for her to learn Latin grammar, to memorize the saints, to learn the correct posture…

2ynqalk.jpg

Bean-Mhumhan is part of our family, so even though she is not a daughter of Murchad, we decide how she is to be raised. We have an up-and-coming general, so let's look at her strengths… and send her to a monastery to be raised as smart and sociable. Essentially, the monastery is a good place to send your intelligent, knowledgeable children while the court is the prime destination for clever connivers and future monetary masterminds. Girls are often married off to other courts, but you can keep hold of the really good ones by marrying them to men in your courts… assuming you have single bachelors in your court who are hopefully NOT related to the bride-to-be!

"Now is the time!" Máel Mórda looked like a cat that had just cornered a mouse. Murchad had never seen his Marshal so energetic. He had been this way ever since word had reached Leinster that the King of Mide had suffered a notable dip in reputation. There was some disagreement over what the cause had been – some suggested he had been cuckolded, while others said one of his treasurers had made off with a large amount of precious coin. Whatever it was, Máel Mórda did not seem to care one iota. He just wanted the armies mobilized, the soldiers outfitted, the marching started.

"We can manufacture a justification," Máel Mórda was insisting. "It won't be too difficult. At this point, we could claim anything; Mide is a laughingstock. My lord, you know that I think you have been dilatory in acting on this opportunity. But even now you can see that there will not be a better time than now! There is nothing to stop us from overrunning their defenses and adding them to our realm!"

That wasn't entirely true, Murchad thought. The Kingdom of Mide was allied with the Duke of Moray, who in turn was a vassal of the King of Scotland. It was entirely possible that the Duke – and by extension, Scotland – would come crashing down on Leinster in support of its ally. On top of that, with the expenses associated with the infrastructure construction that had been going on in Laigin, the coffers were not overflowing. Yet all the points being made by Máel Mórda were true – time was running out, and there might not be a better chance to attack. Whatever decision he made, he could not waver, for to do so would vitiate his rule at a critical time…

2mdql1k.jpg

Well, it looks like we've managed to overcome Mide in terms of prestige… somehow. We don't get to see their events, after all. Something has happened and we can now spend some of our prestige to say that we are justified claimants to the title. The question is… Should we make a claim or wait for a better time?

Great update. Personally I'd wait a wee bit longer - the ol' coffers aren't exactly bursting at the seams and that's a LOT of prestige you have to spend. Does the current Count of Mide have a much younger son as heir? Maybe you could assasinate the current count...

@Iain: I agree with you about the expenses point, although it probably wouldn't be a long war... assuming Moray doesn't become involved.

As for the prestige thing, I usually don't worry about it too much. It's helpful for keeping vassals loyal, but since all three of mine are Devotedly Loyal, a knock in prestige wouldn't hurt too much. It's a fine line to walk, because there are many times where I wait for prestige to build up... only to lose it all when my ruler dies for whatever reason. I see prestige like money -- I want enough to stay in the black, but it is there to be spent, ultimately!

The Count of Mide has a heir, but he is above 16. If I killed the father the difference in prestige would not be substantial. A lot of the times, killing people I have claims on at this stage is usually not the risk of being discovered.

@Conqueror: Thank you very much!

A fair point, but it's always fun to send a shadowy, cloaked figure after someone.

Just learn from my mistake and don't make it your own family!

Er...I should hasten to add that I mean my family IN CRUSADER KINGS.

I've never sent an assasin after any of my real family.

At least not that I recall...

Keep up the awesome AAR.

@Iain – I generally don't do a lot of assassination because of the huge risks involved. I know, I know, no risks means no reward, but unless it's really worth it for me, I go for the sure thing. I'm also not very good at the whole getting-titles-and-claims-through-poisoning-family-members game as I have a hard time keeping all the inheritances straight.

@Irishking and Nodscouterr – Thank you very much for your encouragement. ☺

As the morning sun broke on the horizon, painting distant plains in an orange huge, Máel Mórda grinned. It had been half a year since he had demanded that Leinster go to war with the Kingdom of Mide and he would have been the first to doubt that he had the patience to wait any longer. Yet he had, because his liege had made such a compelling argument. "We will allow our coffers to refill after our construction projects," Murchad had said. "We must be able to feed and pay our soldiers. Then we will make our claim, and you will lead the march westward." And now he was doing just that. Hundreds of soldiers followed behind him, hoping that the hardest opponent they would face today was the searing summer heat.

6dv29y.jpg

We decided to wait to make our claim. From January 1074 to August, literally nothing happened… other than our prestige and gold went up. The claim drains us of most of our prestige; hopefully, this war will be brief enough so our gold isn't drained too.

Note that we've only mobilized our Leinster army; the armies of our vassals have not been called upon.

Here's our army, if you're curious as to what the make-up looks like.

2n21v13.jpg

Murchad's face fell as he read the missive over again. A messenger from Ferns had ridden all the way to the Leinster camp that had been set up near the border with Mide. Although he had known of the alliance between the King of Mide and the Duke of Moray, Murchad had hoped that the latter would stay out of the conflict. Mide would be easy enough to take on its own, weak as it was, but Moray was a major part of the Scottish kingdom and could easily go toe-to-toe with the Leinster forces. Rapping his fingers against the make-shift table he sat at, Murchad crumpled up the paper and threw it to the ground. Moray be damned – he would take his chances.

2diht82.jpg

This is disappointing news, but we'll see whether or not it makes a difference. An ally will usually fight in defense of your enemy, but if you wipe out your enemy fast enough they'll usually back down unless they can think they can wipe you out. The question is… How fast can we take out Mide?

"Get those fools into a proper column!" Máel Mórda shouted over the sound of feet stomping, armor jangling and other officers barking orders. The border that separated the Kingdom of Leinster from the Kingdom of Mide was in sight. Scouts had reported brief contact with opposing army; it was allegedly inferior, which was to be expected. What remained to be seen, however, was whether the commander of the enemy was inferior to Leinster's leadership. Murchad had not slept a wink, the servants were saying, because it was no nervous about the coming battle. Máel Mórda, by contrast, had slept like a newborn babe. This is what he had been waiting for, what he had been born for – the idea of defeat never even crossed his mind.

sqrz13.jpg

Our army has gone from Laigin to Osraige and is headed to Mide. WHO WILL SURVIVE?!

The wounded were falling by the wayside as the Leinster army beat its retreat back across the border. Although they had held the numerical advantage, they had been unprepared for the stalwart defenses the troops of Mide had managed to erect in a surprisingly short time. It also did not help that Máel Mórda had foolishly ordered direct charge after direct charge, like waves futilely lapping against dam. Thankfully, King Murchad had intervened, taking charge from his impetuous, hot-headed marshal and ordering a "tactical withdrawal". A fine way of putting it, but it would take more than that to resurrect morale. This was a retreat, and Leinster had suffered a defeat in what was supposed to be a simple war.

vgn2oi.jpg

Yeah, we lost this one. Our army retreats back into Osraige from Mide, and the army of Mide follows us there…

"Are you satisfied?" Murchad growled, looking out the opening of his tent. "You got the war you wanted. And now many of our soldiers are dead. Now drastic measures are going to have to be taken. Even then, I am not sure we can survive if the Duke of Moray comes to our shores."

Máel Mórda scowled. "I understand, my lord. I will redeem myself."

"My lord!" A messenger came scrambling toward the tent. "Our scouts… They say that the soldiers of Mide are on the march! They also say that the King of Mide requests peace!" The messenger fell to one knee. "Shall we fight or seek an armistice, my lord?"

"You want to redeem yourself?" Murchad put his hands on his hips and glared at Máel Mórda. "It looks like you will get your chance soon enough."

343kbci.jpg

6i7bit.jpg

Peace? No way, we just got things started. Thankfully, we have a resource to call upon that the King of Mide cannot… Vassals.

The armies from Osraige and Dublin had arrived in the nick of time. Fortunately, the Osraige regiment had intercepted the Mide troops while the Laigin and Dublin regiments marched back into Mide. With most of their able-bodied men conscripted, Mide had to rely on its small garrisons to defend its forts and castles. Cautious as ever, Murchad oversaw the siege himself, ensuring that the attacks were not rushed. Still, time was an issue, for it was entirely possible for the Osraige forces to be defeated as well and for the Mide army to rush back to their homeland.

27zyvpd.jpg

ve9k0m.jpg

I must have forgotten to get screenshots calling on my vassals, but clearly they responded positively. I didn't want to do this, because it tests your vassals' loyalty and I'm pretty sure their loyalty goes down even if they do agree to put their troops under your control. Anyway, with Moray likely to attack, we were probably going to have to do this anyway.

With 1075 drawing to a close, Murchad could not help but think that the war was supposed to be over by now. Still, although things had started out bleakly, with three armies under his command, Mide's downfall was assured. Not only had the Osraige regiment succeeded in defending itself, when the Mide troops poured back over the border in disarray, they were helplessly slaughtered by the Laigin and Dublin regiments now taking over their land. Forced northward, the Mide forces were splinted to the wind. Murchad was not arrogant, however; word had been received that fishermen off Dublin's coast had spotted ships flying the banner of Moray. The fleet was headed to Laigin, which would soon be under attack by the Scottish dogs.

He was debating whether to keep his armies in Mide, finishing off the lingering defenses there more quickly, or to send a regiment back to Laigin, to meet and delay (or defeat, if he was lucky) the invaders from the north…

2ia66ag.jpg

346m4p4.jpg

So, something else to mull over. What should we do next?