• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Legosim

Major
28 Badges
Jul 2, 2009
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 200k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
750pxflagofspainsvg.png

A JugAAR España

I've always been interested in the Spanish Empire, and the tragic story surrounding it. Victim to horrible circumstance one after the other, I'd like to make Spain great again. I'll be playing on normal/normal, Revolution, 1.04.

I'll try to update regularly, and this will be written in a simple game play fashion, so no elaborate story or anything, maybe next time. I had a lot of fun writing my last AAR, A Simple Swedish AAR, so I hope this will be as fun, if not more fun. First update should be up by the end of the day.

Oh, I'd also like to apologize for the bad Spanish in the title. Didn't conjugate the verb.

Last edited:
Part I, the Beginning of the Reconquista: 1836-1850

Part I, the Beginning of the Reconquista: 1836-1850

Alrighty, here we go. The general situation after a good amount of clicks and sliding sliders:

3997605489_b30675fc69_o.png

2beginningeconomics.png

The budget.

For a good part, I just sat there watching the world go by, Queen Vicky went on a annexation rampage, Ottomans asked me for an alliance, all the normal stuff. Mid 1838 I had saved up enough goods to buy myself some divisions, and placed them in my colonies, all native quality.

3armyphilipines.png

4armycarribean.png

I expanded a steel factory...

5steelfactorylvl2.png

I purchased three infantry divisions around mid March 1843...

6colonizationarmyinspai.png

Then, the first step in the Reconquista began...

7invadehaiti.png

8annexhaite.png

Haiti falls to the might of the Spanish Empire

I began the construction of two more Creole divisions to garrison Haiti, to free up the three divisions and clipper transports for other duties. I also began, and completed an expansion of my ammunition factory in Castille, closing my loss-incurring small arms factory to employ it's workers in the making of bullets.

9ammofactorylvl2.png

And then expanded it again.

10ammofactorylvl3.png

Bullets for everyone!

Those Creole divisions I mentioned earlier finished training, and were deployed to Haiti to protect against evil American aggression.

11troopshaiti.png

I invaded Morocco a few months later, with six infantry divisions. I figured that if I didn't grab it soon, France would, as they had already taken a Tunisian province in a colonial war (why they did not annex them I don't know....).

12moroccoinvasion.png

On December 29, Morocco sued for peace, offering all provinces save their capital.

13moroccopeace.png

I'll be back once I can afford the DoW prestige hit.

And right near the end, I got Romanticism.

14romantisism.png

Ok, that was a bit cut, dry, and boring, and I apologize. I'll try to make it more exciting in the future. Maybe when the big wars start happening.

I like the idea, but no matter how much conquering you do, industrialization will be limited. Pop growth rates are poor in Spain proper.

So the Monroe doctrine means "any where in the Western Hemisperhe acept Hati" lol. You would think the USA would attack you for that.

I like the idea, but no matter how much conquering you do, industrialization will be limited. Pop growth rates are poor in Spain proper.

Early health reforms will solve that by midgame, but not entirely - I can't see him surpassing 100 mil.

Anyway, good luck, godspeed, etc. etc. You're industrializing very fast. Not a good idea early game - factories are just not efficient enough for fast industrialization to always be profitable.

Early health reforms will solve that by midgame, but not entirely - I can't see him surpassing 100 mil.

Anyway, good luck, godspeed, etc. etc. You're industrializing very fast. Not a good idea early game - factories are just not efficient enough for fast industrialization to always be profitable.
Yeah I noticed. My biggest problem is iron and sulfur, so if anyone has any idea where I can find a good amount of said stuff, please tell.

After my small arms factory starts making a profit, I think I'm going to stay a hiatus on factories, and focus on railroads, and expanding my military.

I've played Spain a couple of times, and it'll be good to see how you do. There are plenty of opportunities for colonial expansion, but I would agree that there is a pitiful lack of population at home for industrialising.

I sympathise with your sulphur problems. I know Sicily and Sardinia have nice deposits, if you want to reclaim those for your empire. Otherwise seek out some pitiful unciv to steal a province from. China is always good, as they have ready workers for you to use.

Peru/Bolivia/Chile have plenty of minerals as well!:)
Coincidentally, South America used to be part of the Spanish Empire...

I'm considering...the possibilities of putting southern Italy back into it's riteful place as a dominion of the Spaniards...maybe that too.

Thanks people!

I have tried this myself on several occasions with Spain, to resurrect the old empire.

South America, with their low population and divided boundaries, is easy pickings. It is Mexico however, that was always my greatest challenge, I was never able to fully conquer them :( (then again, in my game, they won the Mexican-American war, and were a nearly unbeatable superpower :D) Good luck on this one!

Perhaps a beachhead in columbia or the central states of america will suffice? :D Haiti and cuba are good springboards for an invasion.

I have tried this myself on several occasions with Spain, to resurrect the old empire.

South America, with their low population and divided boundaries, is easy pickings. It is Mexico however, that was always my greatest challenge, I was never able to fully conquer them :( (then again, in my game, they won the Mexican-American war, and were a nearly unbeatable superpower :D) Good luck on this one!

Perhaps a beachhead in columbia or the central states of america will suffice? :D Haiti and cuba are good springboards for an invasion.

I own Haiti, Cuba, and Puerto Rico, and don't intend to loose them to the Americans. Not in the coming update (which should be up within the hour), but in the next one, I'm going to take a bite out of Columbia for their Sulhpur. I'm looking to start eating up a few Western Hemisphere states, such as Uruguay, Paraquay, the USCA, and maybe Chili, if I get around to it, before I pounce on the larger ones.

Remember the Spanish Empire, meaning the Iberian Union.

The Iberian Union will be born once more...if by force if need be.

Part II - El Home Front: 1850-1859

Part II - El Home Front: 1850-1859

Well, here we are, the boring years. I started off with researching Clean Coal, which finished up around mid January, '51, and Functionalism finished up around year and a day later.

I finished the Experimental Railway system in Castille.
3trains1.png

Kept chuggin away with the research...the low education rate is really getting to me...

4ideologicalthought.png

Then, probably the most exciting thing that happened all decade, my peace treaty with Morocco ran out. Spanish control over the Moroccan region is complete.

5moroccowar.png

6invadefez.png

7moroccoannex.png

Expanded so more railroads...

8trains2.png

9trains3.png

Researched some more techs...

10militaryplans.png

11armyprofessionalism.png

I started a major military build up consisting of; six clipper transports, 1 native Filipino division, 3 native Arabic divisions, and three regular infantry divisions:

12militaryrecruitment.png

The preparations for the invasion of the West begin.

And, right after that, the completely government funded railroad system is completed.

13final.png

Take a hint capitalists.

Till next time...thanks for reading!

Good start! You will probably need a strong navy (Spanish Armada II) if you want to reconquer and keep the old Spanish empire!
This game will probably be where I teach myself to keep up with naval tech, and have a strong navy. I'm still deciding whether I want to go pro-French, or Pro-British, in the long run. My biggest concern is the Spanish-American War, which it would be helpful to have Britain on my side...and I would also love to have maybe at least military access in Mexico as a staging base...

Idk, big plans, big plans.

If you want help in the Spanish American war you should probably go pro-British as their navy can destroy any attempts form the US navy and they can attack the US from Canada. On the other hand, the British control most of the West Indies which is your target. But if you want to ally them you can always try to buy those provinces instead of conquering them.