• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(41501)

King of the Philippines
Mar 16, 2005
header-5.jpg

This AAR is focused on the perspectives of war correspondents who provided the details of how newspapers and magazines shaped the public perception of life at home and in the frontlines. In this game, I used the Philippines with normal difficulty and HOI patch 1.1. By the way since this may be graphic intensive, loading will take some time. My apologies!

Names of certain people and places are fictitious. The names of the war correspondents will not be mentioned but most of the descriptions will be in first-person.

"January 16, I just came home from the United States to cover the historic visit of President Quezon for the signing of an important trade agreement with the Americans. I find it a very important diplomatic move by this young Commonwealth because I know our partnership with America will be for the greater good of our country."

mb1.jpg

"I have heard reports that Bishop Aglipay has commenced his case against the 'fraudulent' president -- he's obviously referring to Quezon. I don't know if it stands in court but he insisted that he was cheated in the election. Do you think a bishop can run the affairs of the country? NO! He's not a politician and I don't think we will be better off."

"Today, I just received a letter from an avid reader that questioned the continued meddling by the Americans in our military affairs. He asked me if the trade agreement has a corresponding implications in American military plans. Japan has already waged a successful war against China. Does it mean that the Americans are saber-rattling in an effort to frighten Japan or is this latest expansion of American bases can endanger the security of our fellow Filipinos? A large target may be looming above our heads."

extraliwaywayextra1.jpg

"I got the latest issue of Liwayway magazine. I find it really good because the cover page was drawn by renowned artist Tony Velasquez. Life in the countryside seems like an ideal place for romantics like me. But in reality, there is a wave of discontent in the countryside as the landowners keep the farmers from owning their lands. There are displacement of people as homesteaders from Luzon and Visayas went to Mindanao to tame the wild. The Moros were displaced by the Cristianos."

"The Commies are gaining the support of the rural poor and the urban proletariat. Just this week, a politician was shot dead outside a church in Nueva Ecija. There was uprising by the Sakadas. All of these things happened while President Quezon is in the United States."

"Our country is still in the crossroads of time, I pray to God that life would be much better."

Signed,

The War Correspondent

Conscription Crisis!

header-5.jpg

"March 10, I received a dispatch from our China news bureau headquarters that the Japanese offensive in northern China has reached to a breaking point. The Imperial Japanese Army has broken the Chinese defenses and already laid siege on some major cities near Beijing. I already received evacuation orders from the Philippine consulate and warnings from my colleagues in Tokio who are worried that the Nips may overran Shanghai. The Japanese Marines have already secured important beachhead points in the southeastern coasts."

"I already sent my wife home because I'm afraid that the uncertainties brought about by the conflict and the rising lawlessness in the countryside may affect her pregnancy. I miss her because I haven't spent time with her but I want her to be safe."

manilabulletin1.jpg

"I never thought that I'm the only one who is worried about this Jap menace but it seems the government is aware of such scenario if Japan defeats China. However, the American consul and some of my American friends believed that the Japanese won't dare invade the United States or the Philippines for that matter. Talk about false sense of security. But my recent visit to frontline debunked their idea of an inferior Jap. I find them quite good and well-disciplined. They are way more serious than a drunk American sentry who always wanted the good life."

"I'll be writing a letter to President Quezon about the urgency of stepping up the conscription law amendment. I believe that 'defense' is a good offense. The amendment is still being deliberated because many are afraid that this 'provocative' action may affect the Commonwealth's relationship with the Japanese Empire. But I have reservations for that because of the recent Japanese maneuver near the Taiwan Strait wherein Japanese navy ships practiced divebombing and torpedo attack at a small atoll. Could they in their evil minds plan an invasion? Such dastardly move should be blunted. Maybe I'm just over reacting..."

politics.jpg

"Honestly, I want Mr. Yulo be replaced because he seems an appeaser to me. He's afraid that Japan may wage war against the Philippines at this moment in time. Though these Japanese are almost winning the war, they have bogged down and extended their supply lines. A war against the Philippine-American forces is futile to me. But preparations are necessary. America is too far way to come to our rescue right on time!"

hoi3-5.jpg

"My sources gave me some insider information that some general have practiced maneuvers throughout the country in preparation for an eventual war with Japan but these plans are still shrouded in mystery. One thing I know is that large fortification works were made so that initial landings will be blunted. With a very long coastline, a series of forts is necessary!"

conscription.jpg

"My friend from the Malacanang Press Corp told me that the President will sign the conscription amendments of the National Defense law by selecting which option is to be implemented. I believe 'service by requirement' is necessary!"

"The maps that I requested showed the total strength and operational capabilities of our armed forces. It seems that the military planners wanted a defense-oriented fighting force that is powered by regular infantry divisions backed-up by militia units. Artillery brigades were also trained regularly."

hoi3-1.jpg

hoi3-2.jpg

hoi3-3.jpg

hoi3-4.jpg

"All these developments are giving my headache, I'm afraid that our dear country will be tied to a war we don't want to fight. America wants to issue embargo of important industrial goods to Japan. I am very much afraid that America may leave a big target in our country. Japanese bombs may soon fall in my beloved country, I'm afraid so!"

Signed,

The War Correspondent

The quality of the "newspapers" is astonishing. You even went to the trouble of inserting RL adds! :eek:

This AAR is excellent work, I'll gladly follow it!

I have problems looking for vintage pre-war newspaper ads in the Philippines though I've seen predominantly American products promoted in our country.

Of course, everyone wants LUCKY STRIKE

20058-2.1N.jpg

If Douglas Fairbanks smokes those Luckies, then you should have it. Its the cool thing to do! However, Hollywood actors don't smoke on screen anymore!

Very nice idea for an AAR.

I like this style of AAR. :D Very pleasing and easy on the eyes plus leaves enough information hidden that the reader isn't sure 100% what's going on in the world. I'm also worried for the Correspondant's wife! :eek:

My Sojourn to Spain

header-5.jpg

March 22

"I wrote a letter to my beloved wife Luisa, who is due to give birth anytime soon. I really missed her but I have to send her home because of the unfavorable conditions here (Shanghai) and besides my boss wanted me to report on the ongoing Spanish Civil War."

letter.jpg

"The French ship Aboukir will have a port call in Manila, I guess I have enough time to visit my wife at the hospital. I am thinking of surprising her when I get home from Spain by giving her gifts like French perfumes and Spanish dresses. Her picture is close to my heart and I don't intend to die by some errant artillery shell or a sniper's bullet. I want to come home safe and be with my family."

"My Spanish friends are hoping to see me there but sadly some of them are on the opposite side of the war. I just can't believe why brothers, fathers, friends and compatriots fight each other? Will there be a Spain left for everyone?"

Signed,

The War Correspondent

March 25

"I arrived at Mallorca, the only place not devastated by the war so far. There I met Rodrigo Benavidez, a local official, and some foreign war correspondents like Yves Pinchot of Le Monde and James Aubrey of the New York Times. There were also some Germans in the hotel, I don't know what's their business in there."

"Tomorrow, I'll be transported to Barcelona to cover the events there. I'll be attached to the 11th Infantry Division commanded by General Franco's former driver! Though Spain had been in the Philippines before, they never thought that a Filipino will be covering their war. A stocky, short gentleman named Joaquin told me that he never saw a Filipino before. I laughed and amazed by his youthful innocence. Well I told him that we Filipinos and Spanish are like long lost brothers that were separated by war. Then I asked him if he will shoot an enemy if he knows its a relative of his. Then he answered, 'No, Senor...I can't do such a thing...' Then I told him, 'he's your enemy...' He said 'I really don't know...' And all of a sudden a sudden whiz of air happened and Joaquin got shot by sniper bullet straight through his head and for the first time I saw blood in tremendous fury. The blood was guzzling like a fountain and flooded the pavement."

"Its my first witness of how war is all about, even though its just a mere incident and not a full-blown battle let alone a firefight."

"At the headquarters, General Franco berated his generals because the battles have bogged down their operational advantage. It has started to rain and many of the supply lines to the front have been seriously hampered."

"Pinchot and Aubrey shared a couple of drinks with me at the tavern, then suddenly a group of armed men whisked the two. I was taking a leak in a corner pavement and then I saw familiar guy...he looks like Benavidez...it is Benavidez from Mallorca!"

"He is a Republican spy and they took my friends and on the next day, their mutilated bodies were dumped near a bridge in San Fermin. Poor men, they may have been tortured to death because they know too much. And as for me, I may be the next target. I happened to know the operational plan of the Nationalists. As a reporter its my duty to leak my leads, so I asked for personal security. The commanding officer gave me two German bodyguards, they even provided me personal transportation."

spain2.jpg

"Tomorrow, the Nationalist will launched a large-scale offensive aimed to cripple the Republican strongholds in central Spain. I'll be on-board the Junkers plane to survey the frontline. The night before, the rumors of a German bombing campaign as false is true after all because I saw all the planes landing at an undisclosed location. These state-of-the-art bombers may wreak havoc in the Spanish countryside."

spain1.jpg

"According to my sources, many refugees who wanted to stay away from the fighting were said to be gunned down by Portuguese border guards. The Portuguese government maintained their position that the people killed were Communists. But how can explain the harrowing experiences of the children and women who survived? Can they bear arms? I don't think so! This war is getting dirty and all hell is loose."

"When I get home, I'll be contacting my friends in the military of the need to be ready for war. If war comes, our country should be a fighting force to reckon with."

Signed,

The War Correspondent

March 30

"The recent issue of Liwayway includes first-hand account of my experiences in the war in Spain. My mother sent me a telegram that she was horrified by the war and that she wants me to come home already."

liwayway1.jpg

liwayway2.jpg

"My wife is still at the hospital. I am hoping that she'll deliver the baby safely and that's all that I'm asking right now! I miss her badly, I guess this is what a soldier feels like when he's at war."

Signed,

The War Correspondent

Last edited:
Excellent presentation, a poignant vision of what civil war is like... This is another excellent update.

The first page of the journal posted doesn't show up :(

@CCA / LordBan: Thanks! I appreciate it.

I'm afraid with all these graphics may slowdown the loading time.

I'm curious on what is the historical role of the Portuguese during the Civil War. Anyway, Mr. Pinchot and Mr. Aubrey are some of the unfortunate collateral victims of the war.

by the way I am not promoting smoking in any way...

a friendly reminder, cigarette smoking is dangerous to your health....

...I don't know about smoking and playing Hearts of Iron 16 hours straight....

Nice update! I think Portugal sent the Republicans some supplies during the war (and Mexico too) but beyond that I'm not sure they did anything much other than watch.

So many victims in this war, I still don't know why they have to fought each other...anyway I'm just wondering the role of these foreign volunteers in this war and why the French and British stayed away from it aside from the appeaser bandwagon's folly...

A less than pleasnat situation for our correspondent to be in to be sure.

Awesome update! I like how you bring in images from the time period into your newspapers. I'm still concerned for the wife though! Will she have the baby safely? Will she forgive the correspondent for leaving her at such a time? Will the correspondent be the next casualty of war in Spain? I'm on the edge of my seat here...

By the way, Manila Bulletin is one of the oldest newspapers in the Philippines, while Liwayway, which is similar to Life magazine in the U.S., is also one of the oldest magazines in the country.

"Liwayway" means dawn in Filipino.

I inadvertently mentioned the real name of the correspondent