• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(1052)

Second Lieutenant
Feb 22, 2001
Portugal - an iberian power?

This is my first AAR, the game is a grand campaign game set on normal difficulty and normal aggressiveness with historical events on. I know it might not be hard for some of you but for a newbie like me it is :)

Surveying his properties the king was satisfied, 3 provinces in mainland iberia, and his acquisition of tangiers on the north africa coast not to mention many trading posts scattered throughout africa. Earlier explorers had even blessed portugal by getting as far as the cape of good hope. The kind knew more greatness awaited his country.

Concerned with the well known power and strength of the spanish military fresh from there conquest of granada the king ordered a masive increase in troop sizes. Fortfications were also strenghtened. The king was taking no chances. He set about looking for strong allies and manage to marry off two daughters to the kings of spain and england.

1492 - 1494 Ribejo's Voyage discovers the gulf of the amazon

Unfortunately he died in 1495 to make way for his militaristic son Manuael I.

1495 - 1497 Corte Real explores most of modern day brazil's coastline.
1495 - 1497 Da Gama explores all of eastern africa before rounding the cape of good hope, his expidtion runs aground in the straits of zanzibar and he is killed in the wreck.

1496 The Moroccan Disaster

An ignominous year for the portguese army in tangiers. Setting their goals on the infidels larger though technologically inferior force Manuel decides a surprise attack. In february war is declared and 21,000 portuguese soldiers head off to morocco.

The expedition is nothing short of a disaster, on March 10 The entire portuguese army is eliminated decisively, and the huge forty thousand strong moroccan force remaining marches directly to tangiers. The small field army of 4000 men freshly raised there is butchered outside of the city gates as the moroccan host lays siege to pitifully weak 3000 man strong garisson. In July the Moroccan's storm the defenses and butcher the entire garisson. The province is lost on the 1st of July and confirmed by treaty on the 9th.

Manuel I is humiliated but manages to retain his throne, he is able to do this with a quick and rapid response to the moroccon disaster although with mixed results.

1497 - 1499 1st Spanish war

Taking a chance and based upon spanish obligations elsewhere on the continent Manuel builds a mainland force with the firm intention of invading spain. In October 1497 Andulusia is invaded, and a siege is inititaed, however it is abandoned as the army marches directly to Castille which is captured in the latter part of the war... unfortunately this was merely a stroke of luck as spanish forces march through an undefended portugal. Rather then push the war on any further a treaty is signed. Despite our hold of castille it is no match for the hand of the spanish and we are force to hand over the azores.

1499 - 1501 2nd Spanish War

Still smarting from the loss of the azores and the hope inspired by the capture of castille we declare war on spain again after a large scale recruitment drive in portugal. A massive army heads north and quickly captures Galicia, before sieging spain. We are able to force our hand for a quick end to the war gaining the province of Galicia much to our delight. Portugal now holds the enitire Western seaboard of the iberian peninsula. This was a mistake on the spaniards side as the acquisition of Galicia so apparently easy has given us hope of capturing more mainland provinces.

During 1502 army recruitment is again initiated as is colonisation of northern brazil.

1502 - 1507 3rd Spanish War

We move in fast looking to acquire the southern provinces of Andulusia and Estramaduras and despite some early successes soon lose the advantage we once had. We are force to end the war when we are given a chance of peace by spain by paying a token indemnity.

In 1509 Eastern Europe is gripped by a series of wars mainly directed at the Hanseatic league. From hereon for almost a decade portugal is faced with rebellions in Galicia and settlers being killed in brazil. The natives are soon supressed. In 1518 the king begins authorising large scale forces to be made ready for an invasion of austrias in the north.

In 152 Joao III becomes king of portugal and displays his eagerness for war by continuing the troop increases previously authorised by his predecessor

1522 - 1523 4th Spanish War

The war is a hard war of attrition in which mainly sees pitched battles and sieges in the northern provinces of leon and oporto. Surprisingly spain has managed to even call upon a small scottish expiditionary force... fortunately they are elinimated as the make battle in Oporto. Again portugal comes away empty handed and humiliated as they pay a large endemnity to get rid of the ever increasing spanish troop build up. The Ally we counted upon more than anyone, England, dishonoured us when we decalred war freeing up the scottish and depriving us of a strong force we could have made use of.

During the years of 1526 to 1533 the european continent is racked with massive wholesale conversions of nations to protestant religon. Most notbaly Sweden in 1529 and England in 1533. Jaoa, already a practicing protestant, declares portugal a protestant nation in 1534. Immediately he is faced with massive rebellions from the largely catholic country. for the next few years the newly raised army is battling its own people trying to restore law and order.

1538 - 1545 5th Spanish War

Full of a crusading zeal and with a huge 120 thousand strong army [in 3 groups] Joao III once again declares war on spain concentrating solely on the northenr and central spanish provinces. In 1538 We buy off Naples out of the war [as an ally of spain] and destor the scottish force in Asturias before buying them off in 1539. Asturias is captured in 1539 at the loss of control of oporto. This is offset when we manage to out manuevre and destroy the largest spanish field army decisively. The war drags on here with siege and counter siege in asturias which we still manage to hold onto. The spanish are finally crushed in Asturias in 1543 however we cannot capitalise on this as home rebellions force the recall of the army to contain them. Drat! Thanks to these severe rebellions we are foced to agree peace with spain loosing control of Asturias which so many men had died for.

The rebellions continue to grow in intensity and show no signs of wavering. The pitifully small portuguese army has been dramatically reduced by this continual state of war and is now almost no match for the rebels. In desperation the king, Joao II, makes a declaration in Lisbon saying:

'Portugal is worth a mass!'

He reconverts to catholicism and appoints it back again as the state religion. Despite going bankrupt later that decade the portuguese nation regains its former stability and the rebellions stop almost immediately. Joao III cannot contain his dissappointment, but he is keen to see war waged without worrying about the populace rebelling at such crucial moment again. He maintains his protestant beliefs but in the privacy of his own private monastery in lisbon. He ensures the thousands of protestant portuguese also are well tolerated in the empire. He dies before he can re-invade spain to be succeeded by Catarina... unfortunately her rule is brief and strong kingship is found as Henrique comes to the throne in 1562 possessing a monstrously large portuguese army and in bitter remembrance of the failures of the portuguese field army prior to his accession. He takes personnaly control of the planning and it shows.

1566 - 1567 6th Spanish War

He personally overseas the capture of estramaduras in 1567 which is annexed to portugal almost immediately by treaty. He reorganises the troops and recruits again over the next two months.

1567 7th Spanish War

Estramaduras is attacked by the spanish frequently but the field army holding it holds firm and the spanish are ejected from it. Genoan and Parman allies of spain are also soundly defeated as they attempt an invasion of Oporto. In December that year the province of andulusia is captured after a short siege. It is soon annexed by treaty to portugal and has proven to be the highlight of the portuguese military... the province of Andulusia is extremely rich and worth more than almost all of portuguese provinces combined.

In 1568 Henrique dies and the portuguese mourn this great warrior. He is canonised as a saint almost immediately afterwards. His throne passes to Sebastiao I who rules with an iron hand as he plans the next target, the rich province of toledo. He is surprised to hear of a concerted seaborne assault by the moroccans in andulusia. They are annihilated and upon sebastiao's personal orders butchered in the plains around the provincial capital. He ensures he sends a very clear signal to the moroccans that not only are portugal a force to reckoned with, that he also plans to teach them a lesson in the near future.

Last edited:
Bloody rebellions

The reign of King Sebastiao I (1569 - 1577)

In 1569, the new king Sebastiao I, concludes an alliance with the powerful kingdom of Savoy who would show themselves to be strong and for once, would be a country who would hold and act when we called upon them. Their proximity to spanish terrorities would also prove useful. Sebastiao was troubled almost constantly throughout his reign by revolts in the southern provinces some of them extremely serious.

In 1569 his reign was sorely tested when a large moroccan invasion force landed in southern portugal causing serious problems in both Algarve and Andulusia. In fact they came perilously close to taking andulusia until they were decisively destroyed. After ensurig the moroccans were no longer a threat sebastiao turned his attentions to the weekly held provinces of spain nearest to andulusia.

1573 - 1576 8th Spanish War

The first target was the thinly held province of Gibraltar on the southern tip of the iberian peninsula, and as expected after a short siege, it soon fell. Using this as a springboard portuguese forces attacked the more populous and more heavily defended province of Sierra Nevada and a siege was started after a short battle in the latter part of 1573.

It might have suceeded if it wasnt for an awful predictament once again back in the home territories. Andulsia revolted at he same time as the english invaded in the early part of 1574! Several armies surrounding the province had to be combined in order to destroy not only the english invaders but the rebels too.

During this time portuguese forces finally managed to take and hold Leon in the northern part of iberia. Before moving on to unsuccessfully assault Castille. Genoa, already exhausted by defeat after defeat in iberia by portugal finally offered peace and a sizable indemnity of 250 ducats. Spain, devoid of allies, and facing insurmountable odds offered the province of Leon for peace in iberia... which in light of recent revolts in our most treasured acquisition of andulusia, we gladly accepted.

This left portugal with 7 provinces in iberia and now as a major force in that peninsula. Spain had been humbled time after time and her allies were now deserting her. If only we could keep control over our own people!

In 1577 there were severa and strong rebellions in both Galicia and Oporto in the north that were only just put down, only to see revolt re-occur in both Leon and Oporto (again). King Sebastaio, although a successful monarch, died as the north erupted into revolution.

The reign of King Henrique O Cardeal-Rei (1577 - 1580)

Henrique was unfortunate in coming to the throne as portugal was in the throes of a massive rebellion. He managed to contain them by june 1578, only to see england invade again in october only months later. They were ejected and agaion further rebellion supressed in 1579 until they appeared to finally resolved. Although henrique didnt bring glory to portugal he did bring stability when his successor Felipe I came to the throne.

Sounds like a real challenge with the revolts and all. I am also a new player dealing with Portugal; I am currently about 5 years into the game and am boosting relations with Spain (hopefully to ally with them in the near future)to punish the Moroccans (in order to take advantage of the temporary Casus Belli). I have built troops up to roughly 42k men, of which roughly 14k is cavalry. In your opinion, when is it favorable to lauch an offensive? Or would it be more advantageous to lauch a defensive war (i.e. - declare war, let the Moroccans assault, then counterattack....?) What went wrong in your Morroccan campaign....?

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks for the heads up...I am a couple of years from obtaining artillery; the one explorer I've got will hopefully hit India in the near future (he's currently on the African East Coast). In the meantime, keeping Tangiers give me some cheap VPs, and as long as I've got 42k defending and a level 2 fortification, I don't see him declaring war on me....

Cordially,

Paul

hi

The problem with me is i thought a superior 21k european army could defeat a technically inferior though larger moroccan force. Boy was i wrong :( My advice is to wage a two stage affair - advance with a minimum 30k army and a minimum 20k defensive foce in tangiers. Losing tangiers has given them a springboard now to attack andulucia and algarve as they see fit. What annoys me is that i have a stability of +3 and a catholic state and provincial religon and yet rebellions are breaking out now more than anytime before.

Whats going wrong here? Its preventing me from chopping up spain :)

Last edited:
I believe that I'll also wait for some artillery assistance, so I can blow those boogers out of the water. He also has a 10k army below me, which I'm thinking of excising before he has a chance to merge them (why the AI has not done so yet is beyond me).
I enjoyed the AAR. Playing Portugal, you have to make peace with Spain, or war - not that either one is a bad solution. If I can get Spain as an ally, perhaps I can get them to do the bulk of my dirty work with the 40k army, and mop up.....

Originally posted by PIcolano
I enjoyed the AAR. Playing Portugal, you have to make peace with Spain, or war - not that either one is a bad solution. If I can get Spain as an ally, perhaps I can get them to do the bulk of my dirty work with the 40k army, and mop up.....

Thanks! However i felt portugal, with just 3 provinces, could be easily bullied and torn apart by spain if you screwed up diplomatically [iei being an unwitting part of an alliance against spain] or just left it too long. Spain is a great colonial power but she also has costly duties on the continent maintaining control of the low countries.

I knew if i could build quick enough and strike out decisively that i could beat them on the iberian peninsula itself. As soon as i snatched Galicia i knew i was on a winning streak. Spain managed to field some impressive armies and called in some tough allies [most notably scotland and england] who caused immense problems.

Dont let spain bully you around, i didnt and as soon as i have my population under control i will take more and more from her. I enjoy playing as portugal, the only downside to this mainland activity has been the lax attitude i have given over to brazil... i have hardly colonised it...

Baston:

Are you still raising war taxes? Just curious, but sometimes extended warfare makes the home front a little edgy....(from some of the other items I've seen in here..)

Do war taxes die out? I generally dont need to ask for them [but i have done] - recently this has not been the case but as you can see there has been very little piece for portugal. How can i stop all the rebellions breaking out (can u lower or remove those taxes??

Baston:

I think you can, although I'll have to wait until tonight to do it....
I'm about to lay some wood on Morrocco as soon as I can get the Spanish involved, and get some artillery, as well...
I will be raising war taxes for this purpose; hope to be colonizing Africa, at least where there is ivory - will be sending traders to Astrakan this PM....
Take a break from killing for a while just to keep your revolts under control, and keep up the AAR; I've really enjoyed it (particularly since I have a vested interest..)

Ciao,

Paul

Thx!

Cheers mate!

I have discovered how best to deal with these rebellions [they have become more infrequent]. Like you said the lack of warring recently has seen a dramatic fall in rebellions. I have also been busy appointing chief judges [who, in their summary, lower the risk of revolt]. I am only a copuple of provinces shy of having chief judges everywhere (they are not cheap at 130 or so a piece) but are well worth the investment.

Also a standing army, even if small, appears to deter rebels as well. This needs to be larger for some of the more freshly conquered territories. It may not be an actual fact but the AI certainly behaves in accordance with how i have just laid everything out. Hopefully the next few decades will pan out better for the portuguese monarchs. I am just sadenned i was unable to take the war to spain more often.

I have also seen that the portguese lack any 'real' leaders and their overall military strenght is actual pretty crap. You have raise vast armies and control moral to really stand a chance in a pitch battle with spainish troops. I have however managed it... though carefully dragging their forces where i wanted them.

Note: Spain generally fields armies no larger than 40k in this campaign and it is better to syphon them off some by letting the siege some provinces whilst my largest and most effective army takes out the remainder. They then proceed to mop up anything around.

Cool game and what i have been looking for fer years!

Baston:

I have noted the same about the poor Portuguese leadership. It takes a massive army just to ensure a decent outcome, and it's a massive drain on the treasury. The explorers/conquistadors are pretty decent, however, and both of us should be able to withstand the treasury drain once we establish some permanent colonies....

Please continue with the AAR, it's been great reading....

Ciao,

Paul

Neat AAR. I've been wanting to start a game as Portugal, and wondered if I would need to take on Spain militarily. Wouldn't want to, would rather be allies. One comment I have is that it seemed like you were fighting a lot of wars in a short period. In my limited experience, that can cause rebellions, especially because of the continued stability drops. I like to keep my wars separated by 3-5 years if I can. Well, look forward to reading more!

Kestrel:

There is no doubt that Portugal is a pain in the rear to play; I have just started the GC, and am taking an alternate approach to the AAR just written. I am building infrastructure, exploring, upgrading fortresses, establishing colonies, and cultivating a relationship with Spain that I will hopefully become allied with; this should enable me to punt the Morroccans out of N Africa (free casus belli until 1510).
The main challenge is the poor quality of leaders across the board for Portugal; bring a boatload of troops to attack anything....
I should have played Spain first, but it's too darn easy to play the favorite...(I've only had the game a day so far...) If you play Portugal in the GC, best of luck....

Ciao,

Paul

Stability and revolution

The reign of Felipe I (1580 - 1598)

Felipe came to throne in an aura of stability which was very soon shattered. His rule was the most tumulous one in portugal's recent history, his designs on spain and lack of interest in the people led to his downfall and ultimate demise. Immediately he was faced with extreme rebellions in both Tago (the home province) and Oporto (a favoured haunt of the rebels). He set about destroying these rebel strongholds and consolidating royal rule by the promotion of Chief Judges... by the end of 1582 his power had extended considerably... however he had failed to spot one crucial error and the key cause of the nations troubles. Many decades ago Joao III had publically proclaimed that 'Portugal was worth a mass'... and stated he had reconverted back to catholicism. This was not the case, and the chosen state religon was still nominally protestant. It appears the nobility and indeed Felipe himself were completely unware of the national grievance at this lack of support for the entirely catholic nation they lived in. The chiefly islamic province of Andalucia was also up in arms and remained so for many years.

It all came to head in May in 1582 when rebels stormed the parliamentary buildings demanding the arrest and execution of the king. He managed to escape with his own personal guard as the government of portugal fell. Shortly afterwards the newly convened government of portugal re-affirmed its support for the catholic religon formerly. Felipe stays in hiding for several months before he is re-invited to rule as he always was a catholic... he never knew of Joao fatal mistake and perhaps Joao's last laugh at the catholic's he so openly acted against. He oversaw a decade of almost total peace, although he remained constantly in check by the newly formed government. He watched as the edict of tolerance was grnted in 1593 and made quick overtures to the papal states. He died in 1598 after an unusually long reign considering the vents he had been a party to. He had a state funeral.

The reign of Felipe II (1598 - ?)

His son, learnt well from his fathers hard life, and ensured he was to be vigilant against rebels and that he would build for the future. He was not wrong, he personally oversaw the economic development of portugals new industries. Both Oporto and Andalucia had wine refinerys built in their provinces in 1600 and 1604 respectively, and they soon earned back the investment made in them with sizable increases in overall revenue not to mention new jobs and trades for the growing populace now fried from military service. The only military action seen by the portuguese so far in Felipe II's reign has been the recapture of the Cape Verde islands in 1609 from rebels who had been holding in for some years. He, like his father, and his ancestors before then still looks east across the portuguese border at the weak but rich empire of spain. Here and there, without the population fully being aware, he has been also sponsoring a massive increase in the armies encamped on the eastern border. Portugal will have its reward in time.

Originally posted by Kestrel
Neat AAR. I've been wanting to start a game as Portugal, and wondered if I would need to take on Spain militarily. Wouldn't want to, would rather be allies. One comment I have is that it seemed like you were fighting a lot of wars in a short period. In my limited experience, that can cause rebellions, especially because of the continued stability drops. I like to keep my wars separated by 3-5 years if I can. Well, look forward to reading more!

I wanted to try portugal first [not england which surprised me] to see if they could take on the empire, acknowledged by most to be the strongest, and win. To do so without real leadership traits, and a small fairly poor homeland has proven to be really good fun.

Don't be afraid of spain just co-ordinate your offense and defense like your life depends on it, because most of the time it does. As you can see in early reports i have had to make concessions but i have ensured spains pays more ;)

Ouch!! The pain!! You forgot to switch your state religion back to Catholic?!? Are you Reformed Catholic now?? (I hear you get an extra colonist....you may need it for more $$).
Love the AAR - keep us posted...

Later,

Paul

This is bit were i eat humble pie. I was desperately looking around seeing why all these rebellions where occuring - i just couldnt understand it - and thought i would go and check my religon again.

DOH!

I couldnt believe how stupid i had been :( Dont ever go protestant with portugal it really isnt worth it... but it was fun to aggravate spain :) Now that i have cleared it up all seems to be much better ;)