Armageddon 1.3 Beta 2 (24/04/2009) is now up (general comments/questions only please)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Re: West Germany not researching techs on minor default ignore list.
I'd say we have a problem. There are several possible fixes:
1) Take EVERYTHING off the minor default ignore list, and only put in preferences
2) Modify the executable so that loading a new ai wipes the ignore list clean, enabling a new ignore list to be loaded
3) Modify the executable so that anything on the preferred list wipes out the entry on the ignore list.

Coreymas and MartinBG,
Could you just give the community some guidance as to your plans to fix this.
To the community:
Probably the best interim solution is a minor_default ai with nothing in the ignore section.

Before we could even think of changes to the EXE I would like to have more information about this bug (if it is a bug). As I pointed out in my previous post on that subject there is something very weird here:
1. Techs in the ignore list are missing in the save-game and there are other techs added to that list. Where did the new techs came from (is it sure that they are from default_minor.ai?) and where are some of those read from West Germany gone?
2. The code used to read "ignore" section is identical to that used to read "endgoal" and "preference", so if there is a bug in one of those it surely should be in all others too.
3. Which countries are affected by that bug (under what circumstances)?

Anyone interested to dig deeper into these (possible) problems and report back the results?

Before we could even think of changes to the EXE I would like to have more information about this bug (if it is a bug). As I pointed out in my previous post on that subject there is something very weird here:
1. Techs in the ignore list are missing in the save-game and there are other techs added to that list. Where did the new techs came from (is it sure that they are from default_minor.ai?) and where are some of those read from West Germany gone?
2. The code used to read "ignore" section is identical to that used to read "endgoal" and "preference", so if there is a bug in one of those it surely should be in all others too.

Anyone interested to dig deeper into these (possible) problems and report back the results?

I'm at work and away from my files, but I can help you with #3.

Nations that start the game and stay in it are unaffected--all their AIs load normally. This problem only happens with liberated countries, and it happens to all of them with dedicated AI files.

Last edited:
misc.txt

Code:
# If units can be sold/transfered to non allied countries

Does this line work? In which way?

I tried with 0 and 1, and I can lend units to non allied countries.

With 0 and 1, I can't borrow units to non allied countries.

So I feel a bit confused :confused:

Just curious, has any of the betas done something with the "lock" command in events. IIRC it didn't work correctly there (only for pre-locked divs in scenario files). Maybe I remember it wrongly though. Anyway, would be nice to have it working in events.

Please, change the flag of Lithuania. Our flag looked like in my avatar. The cross is only used in military, aviaton, but our national flag is without cross.

Edit:

Stasys Raštikis photo should be something like this
http://www.generals.dk/general/Rastikis/Stasys/Lithuania.html
The photo in the game is wrong.

P.S. it may be a good event if Lithuania would regain Vilnius, Vilnius would become capital. After all all 20 years we were fighting for it.
Also it wouldn't hurt if Baltics would have a chance to resign suggestion to join Soviet Union (if it hadn't been adressed). Historicaly Baltics got the same type of suggestions as Finland. Only Finland gets to fight, Baltics - don't.

Also other thing abaout Lithuania. IC should be relocated. When Lithuania ceded Memel (Klaipėda) to Germany - it lost 1/3 of industrial potential. So maybe some IC should be relocated from Alytus to Memel.
Also there is a misprint, if that could be changed. The province west of Kaunas - "Siauliau" - is Šiauliai. At least change the ending - Siauliai ;).

Last edited:

Checked my save game file, and can shed some light on the problem.

First, for all the nations except for DFR, the difference in techs comes from differences between the 1945 AI files (which loaded properly) and the earlier dated ones I wrongly assumed would load instead. So that much is explained, and I apologize for misreporting this.

As for the DFR, the problem is the DFR_1936.ai file didn't load at all when West Germany came into being in 1946. I have no explanation for why that would happen, so this remains a problem.

Thank you for giving the opportunity to clarify this, and again I apologize for any misdirection I caused.

One thing to try is to remove the 45 suffix for the DFR_45. file (rename it) See if this forces a load of the dfr_1936.ai file. Then add a command for DFR to load a the new file, which could be named something like 'dfr_CW.ai'. I have some events you can borrow from my Cold War mod so you can immediately free DFR from the doomsday scenario for quick testing to verify whether the fixes work. Anyway it seems as though from reading of the posts that we will attempt to resolve the issue through database fixes, and only resort to EXE changes if this fails.

One thing to try is to remove the 45 suffix for the DFR_45. file (rename it) See if this forces a load of the dfr_1936.ai file. Then add a command for DFR to load a the new file, which could be named something like 'dfr_CW.ai'. I have some events you can borrow from my Cold War mod so you can immediately free DFR from the doomsday scenario for quick testing to verify whether the fixes work. Anyway it seems as though from reading of the posts that we will attempt to resolve the issue through database fixes, and only resort to EXE changes if this fails.

Right now, there isn't a dfr_45.ai file, but I'm wondering if there shouldn't be.

Maybe there's some line of code that looks for a '45 dated file after 1944 and if it can't find one, loads the default ai.

Not saying that's the answer (I really don't know), but it would explain all.

And I will check out your cold war mod--thanks for sharing!

AI files that are supposed to be loaded on country creation should match these criteria:

1. Should be located into the "ai" sub-folder
2. Should be named in either of those two formats:
a. CountryTag_Year.ai (GER_1936.ai, FRA_1941.ai and so on)
b. CountryTag.ai (GER.ai, FRA.ai and so on)

The game engine will search first for files in 2a format starting from the current game year and going back to -10 years (if it is 1945 and we're creating FRG the search will start with GER_1945.ai, GER_1944.ai, GER_1943.ai, GER_1942.ai and so on to GER_1936.ai).

If there is no such file found it will check for 2b (GER.ai).

If there is no file that match any of 2a or 2b formats the engine loads either of these:
1. default.ai - for ENG, FRA, GER, ITA, SOV, SPR, SPA, TUR, JAP, CHI, POL, NZL, CAN, AUS, USA
2. minor_default.ai - for the rest

As far I can see the problem in your game is most probably because DFR has been released after 1945 and because the AI file is named dfr_1936.ai it has not been loaded (more then 10 game years "old") and minor_default.ai is loaded instead. To fix this you should either create a new (or more then one) dfr_19xx.ai file(s) using later year(s) or remove the year from ai file's name (dfr.ai)

Last edited:
So renaming the dfr_1936.ai file to dfr.ai should do the trick. Eh?
Also jet technologies should not be on the minor default ignore list because eventually EVERYONE needs them. They don't have to be preferred, they just need to be NOT IGNORED.

Last edited:
1) So renaming the dfr_1936.ai file to dfr.ai should do the trick. Eh?
2) Also jet technologies should not be on the minor default ignore list because eventually EVERYONE needs them. They don't have to be preferred, they just need to be NOT IGNORED.

1) I always thought there had to be a date in the name for it load without an event, but now I bow to MartinBG's demonstrably greater knowledge.

2) For the most part, I agree, but there are some nations without substantial airforces within the HoI timeframe, or even in-game airbases for that matter. For some, building an airforce of any kind is quite a drain on their ICs--not to mention the countries that have no easy access to oil.

Ideally, some zealot(s) should script AI files for all the minors, but that's a cat I'm not going to bell anymore than I already have.

AI files that are supposed to be loaded on country creation should match these criteria:

1. Should be located into the "ai" sub-folder
2. Should be named in either of those two formats:
a. CountryTag_Year.ai (GER_1936.ai, FRA_1941.ai and so on)
b. CountryTag.ai (GER.ai, FRA.ai and so on)

The game engine will search first for files in 2a format starting from the current game year and going back to -10 years (if it is 1945 and we're creating FRG the search will start with GER_1945.ai, GER_1944.ai, GER_1943.ai, GER_1942.ai and so on to GER_1936.ai).

If there is no such file found it will check for 2b (GER.ai).

If there is no file that match any of 2a or 2b formats the engine loads either of these:
1. default.ai - for ENG, FRA, GER, ITA, SOV, SPR, SPA, TUR, JAP, CHI, POL, NZL, CAN, AUS, USA
2. minor_default.ai - for the rest

As far I can see the problem in your game is most probably because DFR has been released after 1945 and because the AI file is named dfr_1936.ai it has not been loaded (more then 10 game years "old") and minor_default.ai is loaded instead. To fix this you should either create a new (or more then one) dfr_19xx.ai file(s) using later year(s) or remove the year from ai file's name (dfr.ai)

This confirms my subsequent research as well. Thanks for the info!

Should probably rename the new AI files for IND, the DFR and RSI in the patch to just IND.ai, DFR.ai and RSI.ai, then.

Last edited:
I just found one curiosity when playing as Soviet Union. During the great officer purge some leaders (e.g. Rokossovsky) were purged although their start date is years after the purge. Is this intended and what happens if I purge for example Rokossovksy, who should appear later at 1940? Does he still appear or not?

p.s. I have Cold War Tech Tree mod installed but this shouldn't be an issue.

Anybody and I mean anybody can be caught in the Purge. This is true for both vanilla and my mod. Not being yet alive provides no escape.

Ok, so if you lose someone super important, ie Zhukov, how can you wake him?

Russia is just stuffed full of good generals. Zhukov is but one. As long as any one Vassilevsky, Konev or Rokossovsky survive Russia has an able PL commander with higher command potential.

If they were put in the dormant leaders section and awoken after the purge would that protect them?