• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfred Packer

Off Again
45 Badges
Jun 3, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Here is the Nominations Thread for the 2008 CrusadAAR's Chalice!​

What Are We Doing:
Few things in AARland are more disappointing than the abrupt, unceremonious end of an AAR we are enjoying. After all, we often invest as much in the characters and story of an AAR as we would in a novel or good movie and having it end suddenly can be quite a disappointment. Now on the other side (and believe me, I have abandoned more than a few AARs myself) actually completing a game, writing all the updates needed and then posting them all, well, that represents a huge amount of work and investment in a story on the part of the authAAR. To reward those who have worked so hard to bring their cherished stories and games to completion, and to encourage more to do so in the future, the CrusadAAR's Chalice exists to reward those who tackle and complete what can be a daunting task.

In the next post, you will find links to all 7 Crusader Kings AARs completed in the year 2008. They range from a handful of updates posted over a week to hundreds of updates posted over years, but each and every one represents a complete story, with a beginning and a middle, but most importantly, an end.

What Can I Do:
Well, you have until 4AM Eastern Time, March 2nd to peruse these AARs and nominate one you think deserves to be in the final competition. You may post only one time in this thread, either to nominate an AAR or to second (third, etc) someone else's nomination. The 3-4 AARs with the most nominations will then appear in a poll together and you will have the whole month of March to read these AARs at depth and cast your vote for the best. The AAR with the most votes wins the Coveted CrusadAAR's Chalice.

You can explain why you've decided to nominate that AAR within your post or you can simply nominate the AAR. The important thing is to vote. That is the only way an AAR can move forward in the competition.

What Can I NOT Do:
You cannot post more than once. You only get to nominate a single AAR

You cannot use your post to discuss 1 - The nature of the CrusadAAR's Chalice, 2 - The fairness of the voting system, 3 - What "Best" means in any context, 4 - Anything that might cause a disruption to what should be a celebration of 7 excellent AARs

Hey! Such and Such's AAR isn't included and I KNOW it was completed in 2008!
Then the authAAR should have noted the AAR completed in the LibrAARy update thread.

If the author of a completed 2008 AAR feels they have been left off, then the author should PM me for inclusion. I will make final determination on whether a work will be included. Such petition must be made 1 - by the AuthAAR only, and 2 - by Noon Eastern Time on Thursday, February 18th.

Okay, Great, That's All Out Of The Way! Now What:
Scroll down, there are 7 AARs guarranteed to satisfy your story reading urges.

---< 2008 >---
(7 Complete AARs)

Various
Byzantine Empire
[thread=354258]Heaven On Earth, Part 1[/thread]
asd21593
1066-1291 (Complete 25 September 2008)

de Semur
Chalons
The Beautiful Girl and the History Class
Jestor
1066-1217/1227(Complete 1 September 2008)

Crovan
Kingdom of Norway
The Adventures of the Crovan Clan a CK/CK-DV AAR
Alfred Packer
1066-1452 Complete 13 August 2008

Knýtling
Halland, Skåne, Norway, Aragon
Knud Knýtling, Prince of Denmark (and other assorted tales)
phargle
1067 - 1454 (Completed August 13th, 2008)

de Dreux (Character is Jacques d'Artois)
Brittany
Les Journals d'Artois
ComradeOM
1337-1339 (Complete 28 June 2008)

Terter
Dorostotum/Bulgaria
Dorostotum - Varna - Bulgaria[/QUOTE]
igorvagovic
1066-1232 (Complete 15 July 2008)

Rurikovich
Pereyaslavl
[thread=290578]A Year's Education[/thread]
RGB
(1066-1393) Complete 5 February 2008

(also: could someone be a dear and nominate phargle's? I know he worked hard on it...even if no one has ever heard of it)

Last edited:
Wow. There's some real quality AARs up there, enough to remind you that 2008 was a very good year for CK. A very strong field... no, I'm not including my own effort in that ;)

I'll nominate RGB's A Year's Education but there's another three or four, not including Knud, that are equally deserving

Not to be a nitpick, but there's no linky for the Knýtling-saga in the original post. ;)

I'll second AP's Crovans.

I'll nominate RGB's a Years Education

With a little over a week for nominations, right now we have:

3 nominations for phargle's epic tour-de-force "Knud Knytling"

3 nominations for RGB's epic mangum-opus "A Year's Education"

3 nominations for Alfred Packer's world-spanning epic "Crovan Clan"

Now, this is good news for these three AARs, since there are 4-5 openings on the block, they seem likely to make the nomination slate!

This is also good news for you, the nominator, since this means there are still 4 epic AARs that may need only a single nomination to get into the running!

if you loved one of those AARs, this is your chance to be a Knight in Shining Armour (or Dame in Pointy Princess Hat) and nominate one of them...get them into that final vote, where everyone has a chance!

Oh, this is rough. I want to nominate twice! Oh well, let's go with Jestor's "The Beautiful Girl and the History Class"

One for asd here.:)

I'll second the nomination of Jestor's AAR. This looks to be a great slate of AARs.

Status
Not open for further replies.