• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

volksmarschall

Chasing Mountains, Brews, Books, and Byron
31 Badges
Nov 29, 2008
voegelinview.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Saints and Angels

Hello everyone, this will be my first attempt at an AAR so hopefully some of you guys out there will enjoy it.

Saints and Angels will be a narrative AAR dealing with the American Civil War and the terrible effects it had on not only the nation but one family and their town in particular. As war broke out, the division of North and South had a catastrophic toll on families especially along the border states, nothing more could be true than that of the Smith Family along the Kentucky-Tennesse border. A family of thirteen children and their parents were soon to be torn apart by the great and epic American Civil War.

Which side will emerge victorious? Can a divided family be re-united or will their world and the United States of America fall into the scrapbooks of history?

SaintsandAnglesPictureCover.jpg

Saints and Angels - Table of Contents
Chapter One: A New Beginning
Chapter Two: First Blood
Chapter Three: The Road to War
Chapter Four: Clinch Mountain
Chapter Five: Escape From Clinch Mountain
Chapter Six: The Long Road Home
Chapter Seven: The Red Winter
Chapter Eight: Evan's Gamble
Chapter Nine: The Last Battle
Chapter Ten: Saints and Angels

Last edited:
Chapter One: A New Beginning

Chapter One

Jebadiah Smith, the third eldest son of eleven at the age of thirteen looked outside at the fields that his father was working on. He took his cap, carefully placing it on his head and walked outside to help his father tending the crops. His two older brothers: William "Bill" and Tom were already in the fields plowing the mud and dirt so new crops could be grown for harvest season. Jeb slowly walked out and grabbed his shovel sitting beside the many crates of crop seeds. He smiled as he walked to his father.

"You know what you need to do Jeb," his father said to him knowing his thirteen year-old son was right behind him. As Jeb starting to walk away to his corner of the crop field his eyes were caught by one of Bill and Tom's friend on horseback.

Paul, dressed up for the occassion was riding a staunt brown stallion galloping forward to the Smith family estate. He, from his saddle looked for Mr. Smith, seeing him in the fields he whipped his horse to ride towards him. The horse galloped forth and stopped on a dime when Paul ordered it to. Jeb was still eyeing the horse and his brother's friend on horseback who frantically began to speak while Bill and Tom began to rush over to their father and friend on horseback.

The horse spun around and Paul pointed down the road, "Mr. Smith, did you hear the news? The troops have been called out. They're marching down the road as we speak! Federal troops have been called out."

Mr. Smith looked at the young boy on horseback, "And can you tell me why?"

"I heard from Mrs. Carlisle that there is a war going on. Something happened in South Carolina, Southern men fired on Federal soldiers in some fort. Other than that I don't know much. I'm alerting everyone in town."

Bill rushed over, "Paul? What are you doing here?"

"Federal troops are coming down this road. There's something of a crises going on."

Tom looked at his father, "Did South Carolina fire on Union troops?"

Mr. Smith looked at his son and looked at Paul on horseback, "According to him," pointing at Paul, "they apparently did."

Jeb came racing over unable to stay put, "Pa? Pa? What's going on? They're are men with guns on the road."

The men looked over on the nearby road and saw brightly clad blue-colored soldiers marching down the road holding the Stars and Stripes proudly as they marched. The commanding officer on horseback shouting orders at his troops. Two Federalist men on horses rode over to Mr. Smith and looked at the boys and the father.

"There is no reason to be alarmed," one of the men said.

The other looked away, "Let's get back to the men," he said.

From their home, the entire Smith Family came dashing out of the house running towards the mister and the soldiers out in the fields and the road.
JebsBrothers.jpg

Mr. Smith shouted out, "Rebecca, keep the children from running into the streets! Jeb, Bill, Tom get your siblings. Get them under control!" Paul dismounted and ran to help his friends gain control of their frantic younger brothers and sisters running out into the fields. William Smith Sr. turned behind him to see his neighbors, though some distance off rushing towards them. The Carlisle family was out in full force running towards him, "Tom!," he shouted in the direction of Mr. Carlisle.

From across the fields he answerd, "What is it Will!?" he said as he rushed through the brush leaving his wife, son and mother behind him.

"Any news?"

"The south has declared their independence. South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama the whole bunch have declared themselves a new nation."

"And how does Washington handle the situation?"

"I don't know. I just saw those soldiers marhcing down the road, it can't be good!"

From behind them Mrs. Carlisle and Grandmother Carlisle holding the hand of their twelve year-old son Leslie finally reached the Smith family.

Mrs. Smith with her entire troop of children behind her called out to Mrs. Carlisle, "Nancy, what is going on?"

"Just listen to Pa," answered Bill.

A lot of noise and speaking began to ensue with the two families as another man on horseback rode over to Mr. Smith, it was Mr. Crooks.

"Will? Will! Did you get the news?" Crooks said as he began to dismount.

Noise still engulfed the fields, "Okay! Okay everybody just shut-up! Shut-up! I need to get the facts!" exclamed Mr. Smith. "So if I don't know any better, the South has declared herself a free nation. South Carolina fired on Federal troops somewhere in the state and the President has probably issued a call-to-arms."

"Then it is civil war," said Mr. Crooks.

Jeb looked at Mr. Crooks, "Civil war?"

"That is when your own people fight one another dear Jeb," answered Mr. Crooks.

Everyone looked back at the road where Federalist soldiers where still marching. They looked as perhaps a good two or three, maybe four-hundred blue-clad men carrying guns and swords were passing them.

Mr. Smith fixed his hat and put on his overcoat, "Everyone stay calm, Mr. Carlisle, Crooks and myself will go down to Town Hall and settle everything," he said to the many in front of him.

Paul mounted back on his horse, "I must be going back to town," he said as he rode off.

Mr. Smith looked at his wife, "Don't worry, I'm sure this will be all over in a few weeks."

Chapter One

Two weeks passed as time descended into the months of June 1861. Union troops have massed in Washington and along the Confederate Borders. The Confederacy had responded by deploying the majority of her forces to face the Union armies near the border. It was dinner time at the Smith Residence. Everyone was sitting along the sides of a long-broad oak table made by Mr. Smith himself; who was reading the paper on information of the war.

"Well that's interesting," he began, Missouri is now part of the Confederacy as are Virginia and Texas."

"Any news about us pa?" asked Jeb.

"Why do you care so much Jeb," said his older brother Bill, "if I wouldn't know any better I'd say you were a rebel."

"I'm not," Jeb answered defiantley.

"Calm down you two," said their father, "eat your dinner and we'll discuss the matter in depth at another time."

"Okay pa," both boys said as their father took a sip of his own home made wine.

The candles alluminated the table as Tom stood up, "You know the Union has issued a proclomation calling for over 75,000 soldiers to join the ranks of the Stars and Stripes."

"And?" his father said.

Mrs. Smith looked at her son with wide open eyes, "You enlisted without our permission didn't you?"

Tom didn't say anything, "Pa, if I told you I wanted to enlist what would you say?"

"You're nineteen years-old Tom, you could do as you wish, but I would love to keep you here on the farm to help us out as much as possible. Then it'll just be me, your ma, Bill and Jeb."

Bill looked down at his plate when his name was mentioned.

"So then do I have your permission to enlist?"

"If that is what your heart disires," his father answered.

Tom left the table to go upstairs to his room. Rebecca Smith looked to her husband William, "Are you mad? He's gonna get killed out there."

"He's enlisting for the Union, won't see any action and in a month or so the war will be over and he'll be back with us. Plus, he'll have a great story to tell us and his grandchildren one day."

"I still say you're making a big mistake by letting him join the ranks."

From across the table Bill lifted his head and answered, "You can't stop one from doing what his heart desires."

"Bill, you're not apart of this," said Mrs. Smith to her son, "so please stay out of it."

"I'm not that hungry," Bill said as he moved his food around with his fork. "May I be..."

"Yes," answered his father.

Jeb watched Bill get up from the table while the rest of the children were sitting patiently eating away at the food presented in front of them. Jeb looked at his brother who held his head down as he walked into the Family Room and sat next to the empty fire place and simply looked straight at the ground. From upstairs Tom's footsteps could be heard as he began to make his way back downstairs. Jeb's attention turned to his other older brother who slowly walked down the steps. He took a deep breath about half-way down the steps and continued to the dinner table where his parents were sitting.

He walked directly in front of them dressed in his full blue Union uniform with his rifle hanging from his shoulder. He smiled and held his arms out while his parents looked on in shock and non-amazement.

"Tom!" screamed his mother.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you guys earlier, I wanted it to be a surprise. I've always wanted to fight for my country, now I have the chance to so I took it. I enlisted a week ago and brought my uniform in overnight so you wouldn't know, I thought you'd be excited and proud of me. I guess you have the opposite feelings now."

"No," said his father, "I'm very proud that you've decided to enlist, but next time tell us before you do so."

"Always," answered Tom. He looked into the family room to see his brother Bill with his head down to the ground. Tom walked over to his brother and sat beside him on the couch putting his hand over his shoulder as he began to talk to him, perhaps for the final time.

Jeb looked at his father, "Is Tom leaving?"

"Yes," Pa said, "Tom?! When do you leave for battle?"

"In four days!"

"Four days," his father said underneath his breath.

"Tell him to un-enlist," said Mrs. Smith to Mr. Smith.

"That I can't do, and you know that to be true. Your son has just took a giant leap forward in life. You have my assurances though, he'll be fine."

Later that night Bill went up to his room and from under his bed he pulled out a heavy case. He opened it up and looked inside, he began to rub his uniform. He pulled out his bayonet and marvoled at it, then he took a nice hard look at his gray Confederate uniform and sat back beginning to cry as he looked across the hall to his brother's room, asleep in his Union uniform. Bill placed his uniform carefully under his bed and looked outside his window and decided now was the time to finally fall asleep.

I'm intrigued so far. I don't think I've seen a Civil War narrative AAR in a while.

@ Cyrus_The_Great: Thanks, I hope you enjoyed it. No better way to show the common phrase "Brother against Brother" than here in this story.

@ east_emnet: Glad you'd enjoyed it so far, hopefully I won't disappoint you then.

@ trekaddict: Thanks, glad to have you onboard.

@ Enewald: Exactly and thanks, glad you'd liked it so far.

Chapter One

Mr. Smith awoke and walked downstairs to fill his cup with hot tea as he looked outside, something had caught his eyes. A man on horseback was riding towards his home with the Carlisle's rushing over on foot. The man on horseback racing towards his home was the town doctor Mr. Richardson galloping forth with haste. Mr. Smith rushed out of his home holding his hat in place as he put it on running out of the door into the fields.

"What is the matter?"

"Did you not get the news Will?" asked Dr. Richardson to his colleague.

"What news?"

"The Yanks and Rebs are gathering up outside our plains over the hill as we speak, only a few miles away. Not army size but both sides have at least a thousand or more men at their hands."

"Wait here," said Mr. Smith as he rushed back into his home with a fury. He ran up the stairs yelling, "Rebecca! Rebecca get the kids! Is Tom still in his room?"

"I don't know Will," she answered from her room as she exited with her night gown holding her youngest son Dill by the hands.

Mr. Smith ran quickly into his son's room and opened the door with a fury. His head looked side-to-side for his son, Tom was no where to be found. He rushed in and began to scream out his son's name, looking all across the room and flipping his son's own bed and looked back at his wife who had a worried face, "He's gone. He's not here."

From across the hall Jeb, unable to ignore the panic gripping his father and mother called out, "Bill is gone too!"

"Jeb! Is that you?" questioned his Pa.

"Yes! Bill is gone too!"

"Bill?" screamed Mrs. Smith hysterically.

"God dammit!" Mr. Smith said as he grapped his coat from his room and rushed down the stairs passing his family, Jeb in particular who only stood watching his father run back down and outside to his friends waiting beside his door in the green fields.

"What is it Will?" asked Dr. Richardson.

"James? Where is the battle taking place?"

"Over the hills about three miles away."

"Take me there," Mr. Smith, "I think both of my sons are over there!"

"Quick then, there is no time to waste."

"I'm coming then too," said Mr. Carlisle as the three men rushed off into the road.

Mrs. Smith came to the front door, "Will! Where are you going?"

"Becca! Just stay in the home and watch the kids!" exclaimed Mr. Smith on the road, throwing on his overcoat in the process.

Jeb looked up to his mother, "Ma, where is Pa going?"

"I don't know Jeb, I don't know," she answered to her now oldest son and child looking him directly in the face, with his bright blue eyes and golden hair staring at her.

Back in town about one mile from his home Mr. Smith, Carlisle and Richardson rushed into town to the noise of gunfire and cannon fire off in the distance. James Richardson turned to the town mayor who was stopping them in the streets. "James, I'm afraid I don't want you of all people to see the spectacle occuring outside of town."

"It's not me," he said, "Will has two sons likely in the battlefield."

"Tom and Bill?" questioned the mayor.

"Yeah, Tom had already enlisted and not to be outdone Bill probably joined him or went to see his brother in battle."

"The gunfire has been going on for the better half of an hour or so," said the mayor to Mr. Smith.

From their location in the center of town the men's attention was turned behind them, screaming women and men and children came rushing down the main road towards them. In the lead of the pack of rushing back people was a man in a blue uniform wielding a sword who frantically looked down at the men as the hysterical people passed them.

"Captain Hooks, U.S. Army," the man said holding his sword up at his face as he introduced himself, "I advise you all leave the town immediatley."

"Why?"

A cannon ball exploded nearby shattering the left side of the town bar. The men looked at the rather minor damages and turned back to the officer on horseback who looked behind him, "That's why!" he said pointing behind him.

From the main road as the last civilians began to flood of towards the hills, many soldiers wielding rifles were on the run towards the town, spontaniously pausing and shooting back at their opponents. The captain rode off to attempt to rally the retreating Union soldiers fleeing into town.

"Get down and hide!" said the mayor as he fled towards the hill away from the town. Dr. Richardson turned his horse and looked down at Mr. Carlisle and Smith.

"Come, let's leave!"

A bullet whizzed past the head of Mr. Smith who ducked afterwards as he looked at the smoke and chaos gripping the Yankee soldiers running back into town. He turned his attention to the captain on horseback shouting out at his men.

"Come on boys, rally! Stop those damn rebels! Save the townsfolk!" he yelled to his fleeing soldiers as they passed him, intended only on saving their own lives, many of whom had lost their firearms in the flood back to the town. "Have you no honor? Have you no honor!?"

From outside the town, from a nearby tree a Rebel soldier took aim at the Union officer. Captain Hooks looked frantically at his soldiers and attempted to rally, again to no avail.

"Captain, run for you life," said one of his soldiers as he passed him.

Mr. Smith still stood standing in the middle of the street being engulfed by a wave of blue-clad soldiers bumping into him.

From horseback, Carlisle and Richardson looked down at William Smith, "Are you coming?" No answer, "Come on, let's go!" said Dr. Richardson to his horse as he turned the horse about face and fled with the Union soldiers.

A young Union soldier accidentally ran head on into Mr. Smith, knocking both of them over in the hit. The soldier got up and extended his hand out to the older gentlemen, "Here, I'll help you up," he said. As the face of the man could be seen the soldier took a deep and hard look at him, "Dad?"

"Tom?"

"Come on father, let's get outta here!" his son said as he grabbed his father's hand and rushed him along the road with the rest of his fleeing comrades.

Captain Hooks on horseback looked at the mess in the town and turned about to face his soldiers, still hoping there was a chance to rally them, "Come on boys, God save the U..." the captain was stroke down as he fell from his horse straight to the ground as the Confederate soldiers pressed into the town, chasing after the Yanks.

Bill, who had yet to fire a shot with his musket took aim and finally shot, sending a blue-clad soldier falling to the street. Beside him a young lieutenant shouting out, "Come on boys! We got these damn Yankee bastards running for their lives. Quick and we can whip 'em!" Bill took his musket from firing position into charging position and began to scream as he rushed forward into his own hometown.
retreatandbattle.jpg

By dusk the dust had settled over the usually quiet Kentuckian town. Bill slipped away from his lines under the cover of smoke and looked to return to his home. There, Tom wasn't with his regiment either, scattered all across the plains and fields he and several other soldiers found refuge at his home. Mrs. Smith rushed over to her son.

"Ma, there are other soldiers here," her son said quickly.

"Where's Bill?" she aksed her husband.

Mr. Smith blankly turned to her, "I don't know."

Last edited:
this is cool. i'll be reading.

Certainly got potential.

On a very literal level reducing the civil war to a family conflict.

@ Hardraade: Thanks, the consequences may possibly be more than tragic for them. The story will follow the central characters and family in particular if you couldn't already assume.

@ BritishImperial: Thanks, glad to have aboard.

@ Enewald: The town has about 500 or so people in it, so I guess that is a small town that lies on the Kentucky side of the border about 3 miles from Tennesse.

@ stnylan: Thank you, then hopefully I can keep my very best work up for this story of the Civil War within an American family.

Chapter One

A man came up to the Smith family door and began to knock, causing Mr. Smith to move from the kitchen table with his family back to the front door. He paused and positioned his hat into a better position before he opened the door, as he did he stood staring at the man in front of him, shocked at the sight.

"Pa," said Bill looking at his father.

"Bill? Where did you go?"

"I went to watch the fight, watch Tom battle the rebels."

From the kitchen Mrs. Smith called out from her seat, "William! who is at the door!?"

"Go inside and let your mother see you, she is very worried."

Bill stepped in and began to walk towards the kitchen; inside he could see Tom, his mother and the rest of his family. His mother who was taking a bite of bread looked at the figure standing in the kitchen doorway, “Bill!” she exclaimed as she rushed out of her seat rushing towards her son embracing him with a lot of force. Bill smiled while being hugged by his mother.

Tom looked at him from his seat at the table, Bill took his usually seat beside Tom and began to lick his lips as he looked at the food placed on the table. He looked at Tom, Tom looked back at Bill. Their father entered and took his place at the head of the table and continued to eat his dinner while he began to talk to Bill.

“So what were you up to?”

“I went to see the battle. I wanted to see Tom fight those rebels.”

“I didn’t hear any news of you going out to picnic at such an event. You could’ve been killed!” shouted his father raising his voice throughout his saying.

“I’m sorry,” said Bill as took a bite of bread, “I wasn’t thinking that much, I got excited.”

“And Tom is lucky to still be alive,” Mrs. Smith remarked in all of this. Tom looked at his mother.

“I’m not lucky, it wasn’t much of a battle anyways; more of a little gun fight and then all my comrades broke, fled and ran back to the town,” answered Tom as he finished his chicken on his plate.

“What do you mean,” said his mother, causing Jeb to turn to face his mother in her outburst, “men shot at you! Any time that happens you’re lucky to be alive!”

“Only 19 men were killed and another 50 or so were injured.”

“And of those poor souls could’ve been you!”

“Mother, please. It’s my life.”

“But you’re still my son!”

“Ma,” said Jeb from across the table, “you must learn to let go. No one will be your little boy forever.”

The remarks said by Jeb caused all at the table beside his younger siblings to put their food down on their plates as they all turned to look at Jeb who was playing with his vegetables with his fork; looking down at his plate.

After the conversation silenced Bill whispered something into the ear of his brother Tom right as the family maid Abigal walked in with another basket of bread in her hand. She set it on the table and Mr. Smith looked up, “Please Abigal, take a seat and enjoy the food; of which you prepared some.”

“No thanks, Mister Smith, I’ll eat when I’m hungry.”

“But the food won’t be warm,” said Mr. Smith to his family aide.

“That doesn’t matter,” she said as she saw Bill sitting at the table. “Master Bill, it’s good to see that you’re back in one piece.”

“Thanks Abigal,” answered Bill with a little smile on his face. Abigal walked back into the kitchen to continue her daily routines around the house.

“I think President Lincoln should do something about the crises at hand,” said Mrs. Smith to the mister.

“And what can he do my dear, the only answer is war.”

Tom rose his head, “The news I heard from the men before we marched into battle was that a large Federal Army was being massed around Washington to march into Virginia and destroy the three main Confederate Armies formed up there.”

“So there will be a quick end to this war,” said his father. “This theatre of war then is not important,” he said in reference to the Western Front in places like Tennessee and Kentucky and other outer states.

“Who is commanding?” questioned Bill with a glare.

“That I don’t know other than the fact that the army assembling will be the largest ever formed on the North American continent.”

“I feel safe now,” laughed Mr. Smith in remark to his son’s comments. “So when do you go back to your unit?”

“Tomorrow,” answered Tom as he looked at his father.

Bill sunk deep into his chair and beneath his brown overcoat he still bore wearing his Confederate uniform as he finished looking back at Tom knowing that his brother was now his must hated enemy, one that he would have to eventually kill.

Tom exited and walked outside towards the large willow tree in the front yard at the top of the hill, Bill followed him out.

“So why did you really follow me out this morning?” asked Tom to his brother.

“Here,” said Bill putting his head down as he removed his brown overcoat revealing his Rebel uniform. The sight shocked Tom who looked back at his brother in amazement. “This morning I didn’t shoot, I didn’t want to kill you.”

“How could you!”

“This is liberty, this is freedom. Didn’t you learn anything from father while he was at the hands of the English? How could your so-called nation do this to you? Take away all your traditions and liberties?”

“You don’t have any sense of what liberty is,” remarked Tom to his brother.

“Look, I’m sorry but I did what my heart desired as you did. Clearly we don’t have the same heart and goal at mind.”

“If I must fight you, I choose to do so now,” said Tom to his brother.

“Leave it be Tom, the parents wouldn’t approve.”

“Nor would they to what you’ve done,” answered Tom as he swung at his brother…

Last edited:
The parents, it seems, or at least the mother, wouldn't approve of either of them. The father would likely say it's their choice.

This is really good. Personally I root for them Union boys.

@ Stnylan: Their mother would definatley not approve of either of their decisions. As for their dad, time will tell.

@ Enewald: Thanks, Tom is fighting for 'patriotism' while Bill has his mind and heart tied together for his war and future. Not to mention that the family is living in a slave state. To some, like Bill: home and state come before country, here it is true in the Confederacy.

@ Millites: Thanks, we all have our preferences. Maybe it was because my father was a Confederate reanactor but I like to root for the boys in grey.

Chapter One

As Tom swung at his brother, the blow knocked Bill to the ground as he rolled down the hill and quickly braced his fall and got up to face his older brother. His eyes were filled with hatrad at the moment as he looked Tom in the eye and charged at him. At the instant of the charge Tom began to flashback to the battle that happened in the morning. He could see his comrades marching towards the Confederate Lines and as Bill swung and cracked Tom in the face he imagined Captain Hooks in his memory.

"Come on son, get up!" shouted the ghostly figured Captain Hooks in Tom's memory as he said to him in the morning after he'd fallen to the ground after a cannon explosion.

Tom regained his composure and looked back at Bill and blocked his next punch with his forearm and followed it up with a punch to Bill's stomach causing his brother to jump backwards in the blow.

"What will you think of yourself tomorrow?" asked Captain Hooks to Tom as Tom began to move against his brother. In his head he could see the Confederate line in front of him as his lines paused. The Confederate Battle line opened up with a great and devastating volley of rifle fire.

At this moment Bill landed a hard right hook on Tom and followed it up with two other giant blows to his brother.

"Are you mad?! I don't need to do this anymore," Bill said to his brother as he hovered him and began to walk away.

Tom got up and picked up a stone and landed a head banging strike against his brother's back head. As Bill clutched his head and could feel the warmth of blood on his hand, Tom tackled him from behind and as they rolled down the hill their fall was stopped a tree stump; of which Bill's back took the brunt of the fall.

"I'm not finished yet," Tom said to his brother as he grabbed a tree branch and lifted it up to strike his brother in the head. As he swung down to nail Bill, his brother rolled out of the path of the tree branch and he kicked Tom in the shin causing a loud a pop and his brother screamed out in pain as his body went forward and his leg stayed stagnant with the ground. Tom turned to face Bill, as he did his brother was now airborne reaching forward with his arms opened as he returned the favour of a hard tackle.

With Tom on the ground, Bill began to relentlessly beat the pulp out of his brother, constantly landed right fist and left fist against his Federalist brother. He pulled on his head, bringing Tom forward and landed a thunderous punch causing Tom's head to hit the ground and bounce back into position. From his pocket Bill pulled out a knife, "This isn't meant to kill you, I hope you realize one day what I'm fighting for," he said as he hushed his brother who was screaming as he placed the knife in Tom's thigh. Leaving his brother on the ground, Bill walked to the barn to gather his hidden rifle and ammunition. Minutes passed as he returned to see Tom crawling his bloodied body back to home. "One day you will see the truth of this war my brother," and with this Bill walked up the hill towards the moon. Getting to the willow tree he looked back at his home. This long pause was followed up by a tear, "I'm so sorry Tom," he said to himself and shrugged his right shoulder to position his rifle into a better position.

At the door Tom mustered up what strength he had left to knock on the door. Abigal, the house and family maid answered to a falling Tom whom she caught in her hands; blood covering her uniform and hands.

"Master Smith!" she yelled, "Master Smith! Come quick! It is Master Tom!"

"My son," said Mrs. Smith as she heard the comments of Abigal. Mr. Smith rushed to the front door.

"Oh my God!" he said in the sight befalling upon him. He ran over to his son holding him upright. "Abigal go to town and get Doctor Richardson."

"Yessum," Abigal said to Mr. Smith.

"REBECCA! REBECCA!"

"What is it dear?" Mrs. Smith asked her husband.

"Get a towel and a turniquet immediatley," Mr. Smith said as he dragged his son to the kitchen table, knocking off the plates and cups and silverware plopping his injured son ontop of it.

As Mrs. Smith came walking she gave a huge shriek of noise and dropped the towels straight to her feet. "My baby!" she yelled in the horror she had just witnessed.

Jeb came running in with his seven year-old brother Dill, "What is it Ma?" Jeb glanced at the table and saw Tom bleeding badly. "TOM!" Jeb yelled.

"Come son," called his father, "hold the wound with pressure. Listen dear," he said turning to his wife, "Abigal is out to get Doctor Richardson, everything is just fine. Go see if you can't get Mr. Carlisle to come over and help me in the time being at least."

Mrs. Smith ran out the door holding her dress up as she ran through the grassy fields towards the Carlisle residence.

"Listen Tom, who did this?"

Tom locked at his father and tried to talk, nothing came out but gulps of blood.

"Don't speak anymore," his father said.

Tom tried to speak again, he muttered the syllable, "B..."

"B...." his responded.

Tom shock his head in agreement, "Bi...."

"Bi...." Tom shock his head again as he coughed up more blood. "Stay still," his father said as he reached for the knife in his thigh. Pulling it out caused a stream of dark red blood spirt into the air landing on Jeb.

"Yuck," Jeb yelled in response and pulled his hand of the warm red blood his hand was just previously covering. He regained his composure and placed his hand back on the wounds.

"Jeb? Do you understand what Tom is trying to say?"

"Bill."

"Bill?" wondered William Smith Sr. "Bill?" Tom nodded, "Bill did this to you?" Tom nodded, "Why?"

Jeb rose his head and answered his father's question, "Pa," Jeb began, "Bill is a Confederate soldier."

Mr. Smith's eyes began to water as the Mrs. and Mr. Carlisle entered the house. Both adults coming to the aid of Tom who was still leeking out blood on the wooden table down to the floor. Tom reached out and grabbed his father's shoulder and muttered with blood coming from his mouth, "I'm so sorry father," he said. Mr. Smith began to cry as he slowly set his son back on the table.

About one hour later Abigal returned with Dr. Richardson who came storming into the house. "Is he still alive?"

"Yes," answerd Mr. Smith pointing and leading the good doctor into the kitchen. The doctor saw the wounds and placed his medical bag on the table. He looked at his friend.

"Give me some time. Will, Tom (Carlisle) I need you to help me seal up the wounds otherwise your son is going to die..."

Tom could see Captain Hooks, now Mr. Richardson who began to hover over him, "Come on son, fight for your life!" said Captain Hooks. Tom was determined to try and hold on as Dr. Richardson began to operate on the many open wounds Tom now has.