• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

darktalon

Captain
16 Badges
An issue was raised in the main forum that once the populist party gains control of the Senate, the "promote tech adviser/governor" events put the player in a no-win situation where either choice gives the populist party even more senators. This is because as written, accepting the Senate's recommendation gives 3 senators to the ruling party and takes 1 from the populists. If the ruling party is the populists then this has the net effect of giving them 2 extra senators, and this can (and has been reported to) make the populist party grow out of control especially for AI-controlled countries.

The ideal fix for this problem would be a separate set of events for a populist-led Senate and a non-populist-led Senate, but for now I'm going to make the following change to events 7517-22 in "objective events.txt":

Code:
	option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA75xx"
		ai_chance = {
			factor = 75
		}
		assign_office = whatever
		country = {
[COLOR=Red]			populist_party = -2[/COLOR]
		}
	}
	option = {
		name = "EVTOPTB75xx"
		ai_chance = {
			factor = 25
		}
		country = {
			populist_party = 1
		}

It loses something of the intuitiveness of following the Senate's recommendation benefiting the ruling party, but it's the best that can be done without adding extra events. You'll notice that I've changed it from -1 to the populists to -2, in an attempt to balance it with the events as written. I intend to playtest it later this evening, and if anyone else wants to try it out then all feedback is welcome.

i´m not sure, but isn´t it enough to solve the problem, if you let the populist more lose than the ruling party wins?

or, what is the reason that you not modify the trigger to
Code:
	country = { 
		populist_party = -2
               ruling_party = 1
	}

mate0815 said:
i´m not sure, but isn´t it enough to solve the problem, if you let the populist more lose than the ruling party wins?

or, what is the reason that you not modify the trigger to
Code:
	country = { 
		populist_party = -2
               ruling_party = 1
	}
Won't this effectively destroy the populist party after a few decades?

barrabas said:
Won't this effectively destroy the populist party after a few decades?

noob. these events fires only if a ruler from a different party as the actual comes to office. and there are enough events which add populist chars to the senat. and nearly all chars without any job are populists. so there are enough new populists every time.

btw: these changes (my version) are now included in the [VV] Hotfixes MiniMod v0.1
i hope, darktalon agree with this. :)

Last edited:
mate0815 said:
btw: these changes (my version) are now included in the [VV] Hotfixes MiniMod v0.1
i hope, darktalon agree with this. :)
Go ahead. Thanks. :)

I tried it out last night and it didn't cripple the populist party - it was still a challenge to keep them out of power (as it should be!) but once they were in the events didn't end up giving them a stranglehold over the Senate as they would in vanilla. 20 years into the game as Rome (Pyrrhic War start) the main parties were military and populist, with the other three much smaller - the military party's dominance suited me fine because I was getting ready to take on Carthage when I decided to call it a night.