• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

lionhead

Colonel
1 Badges
Dec 1, 2006
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Finally, i'm ready to start my 6th AAR on this board. I had a very special game for me and i wrote an AAR about it while playing, so now that the game is finished and i catched my breath (meaning i spell checked everything and organized my screens) it is time to start this thing. I hope you enjoy!

Turkey, 1938 scenario
HOI2: DD Arma Vanilla 1.2a
GIP 0.6, later 0.7
Normal/Normal
Cheats: None

---------------------------

NO THANKSGIVING FOR TURKEY.

Turkey, as of 1938 was ambitious. The Great Turk President Mustafa Kemal Ataturk had greatly been working on reforms in the country, for peace, democracy and prosperity. However, Ismet Inönü and Mahmud Celal Bayar who both served as Prime Ministers under Ataturk where both not pleased with the way things where going, this build up towards peace and democracy seemed too weak for Turkey. So, when the Great Turk died on November 10th 1938 Inönü and Bayar took control of the government. They forced in a new constitution and new laws that gave them more power over the country.

Because of recent events in Germany and Italy the Turkish government was excited for a bold move and announced the plans of the rebuild of the Ottoman Empire. Rather then going for a democratic country friendly to the UK Turkey set its faith in the new Axis powers and their ambitions to revenge WWI. They didn't agree with Germany's “race struggle” though. They looked at Italy for political moves.

Turkey started to increase its industrial output in ways of research towards better machine tools and conquest that would be started as soon as the Turkish army has relocated to their more practical positions. Troops positioned near the borders of Greece and the Soviet Union where redirected and stationed at the border of Iraq. After a half a year the army was upgraded with better equipment and tactics. When Turkey got the “go ahead” from Italy and Germany Turkey declared war on Iraq on May 25th 1939. This caused great protests from the UK but according to many countries Turkey was well in its right to reclaim back the territory so the UK did nothing.

1939May25turkeydeclareswaronIraq.jpg

---------------------------------

not really sure when and how much updates there a gonna be. Maybe 1 every 3 days or so, about the same length as this one.

Enjoy.

Wow, a Turkey... or should I say Ottoman AAR. This is going to be interesting... *subscribed* :)

Interesing it looks. Subscribed.
Try and not break it for us shall you?

thanks for all the responses. here is the first update:

--------------------------------

The timing of the Turkish-Iraqi war could not have been more perfect. Iraqi troops where stationed in Baghdad, the rich oil fields where undefended. After a month of marching the Turkish cavalry met the Iraqi army a hundred kilometers North of Baghdad near Samarra. The poor equipped Iraqi troops didn't stand a chance against 60,000 horsemen and another 20,000 infantry and where totally outclassed. Fighting went all the way into Baghdad itself after which the Iraqi troops ran like hell to their coast. After another month of pushing Iraq accepted unconditional surrender and was added to the Turkish territory. At the end about 250 Turkish troops had died and some 4000 Iraqi. A number of oil tankers at the coast were set ablaze by the former oil sjeiks, cleanup lasted for months.

The new income of oil from Iraq gave Turkey more industrial freedom and the army was ordered to be expanded. After that it went quiet in Turkey while Germany had started its campaign of conquest against Poland and the Allies. Starting from September 1st and lasting untill September 27th Germany spearheaded its way through Poland and annexed it, casualties on the Polish side went almost in the 100,000. Turkey saw the invasion inspiring and was convinced Germany indeed was the right choice of an ally, instead of the UK.

Because of new powers taken by Mahmud Celal Bayar he had the ability to ensure their diplomatic and economic relations with certain countries would be secured in the future. With this power he started to ensure and even guarantee the independence of Germany and Italy in October, to make sure that any country stupid enough to join the allies in their war would be threathened by Turkish retaliation.
However, at this point Turkey was still pretty much a democratic country and the Turkish people insisted we should secure any possibilities as long as Turkey is not a member of the Axis yet. So, Bayar also met with the Finnish head of state Kyösti Kallio ensuring that, might they be attacked by the Soviet Union the Turkish would send resources and help on a diplomatic level(in truth the GiO was to please Hitler) and also the head of state of Yugoslavia Pavle Karadjordjevic so Germany or Italy won't attack(in truth just to make possible for British aid when Turkey is attacked by the axis). This way Turkey could easily choose their position still, while pushing the agenda of becoming a great power once more, before either sides make a permanent decision.

-------------------

No pic i'm afraid. i forgot the GiO's.

Ataturk was good - very successful in the sense that he averted disaster and created unity after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire - but his policies have left long-term problems for Turkish politics, particularly secularization. Tito was similar, though the problems of Yugoslavia were rather more severe.

He wasn't perfect, but he did do very well, I suppose.

Middelkerke said:
Isn't Iraq a puppet of GB?

not when you start the 1938 campaign.

taking almost a ww1 approach eh?

Not exactly, you'll see.

imo secularization is one of the greater aspects of Turkey today. Its why Turkey isn't as much of a breeding ground for extremists as other countries like Saudi Arabia or Iran.

Anyway, back to the AAR. You will have a period of easy expansion. Iraq will fall easily and once vichy fires you can subjugate syria and lebanon. Saudi Arabia can also fall easily. However you will hit a wall in Palestine and you have calculate exactly when to take the risk of attacking Britian.

Wihout Atatürk, there might have been a greek empire. :rolleyes:
And maybe the greeks would than have allied with germany because of their nationalistic policies regarding former lands. :p
And thus germany could have won the war with greek help.
Evil Atatürk! :D

Ah well, I shall subscribe!
Why not become ottomans?

Well i'm terribly sorry but i don't do requests

UPDATE!

----------------------------

In November Romania joined the Axis powers, this was predictable. Hungary and Bulgaria would soon follow, no plans for invasion where made. Finland saw dreadfull times ahead of them when the Soviet Union did declare war and Turkey refused to join them, even though they had guaranteed their independence. Turkey however said that Finland would be able to handle the Soviet Union, they where helped by Sweden and the weather. Of course Finland was unaware of Turkey's true reason for Gauranteeing their independence earlier, nor about their plans to join the Axis and wage war against the Allies. The Turkish foreign minister Sükrü Saracoglu and Chief of Staff Abdul Naci Tinaz had a busy time concealing Turkey's true intentions.

1939december15turkeydeclareswaronPe.jpg

On December 15th Turkey declared war on Persia, the casus belli against Persia was claimed to be because of closed oil lines into Iraq and blocking of the Persian gulf by Persia for Axis and Turkish ships. No proof was provided. The Turkish-Persian war didn't last long, on January 2nd 1940 when Turkish forces got near their capital of Teheran the Persians requested peace and gave up half their country, Turkey accepted. This was only after a half a month of fighting and some 1000 soldiers dead. Turkey now held most of all the oil in the Middle-East. Which made them very powerfull, and rich. It wasn't untill March however that supply lines of oil could be opened again and the Persian gulf cleared of pirates. With this oil alone Tukey was well underway of becoming a Great Power once more.

1940march4turkeyoilholdings.jpg

They could now build a better airforce as well and with the new manpowr their army rose above their neighbors(well, except the SU of course). The next target will be Greece, for the plans of the invasion of Greece soldiers where specially trained to handle the islands around the mainland, they where named marines, as they where working closely with the navy. They where the first of their kind and other countries wanted in on the tech.

1940march4marinestraining.jpg

-------------------------------

Shouldn't you have annexed Persia, or just demand Abadan? I don't understand, what you need those extra non-IC provinces for...

But anyway interesting opening moves, so Greece is next. :)

Storm501 said:
Shouldn't you have annexed Persia, or just demand Abadan? I don't understand, what you need those extra non-IC provinces for...

To make your borders look more cool? :D
That's the reason Poland didn't give the corridor to germans. It would have looked horrible on the map.