• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Madmonkey24

First Lieutenant
66 Badges
Mar 6, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
Welcome to the show:

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls! Gather round to see a spectacular show! Tiny nations beaten to a pulp! Rebels a-raging! Too many exclamation points! And so on, and so on...

This will be an AAR in which I, a very bad EU3 player, will attempt to succeed playing as the toughest one province minors in Europe. Here are the rules:

Expansions installed: In Nomine + Napoleon's Ambition
1. Only use poor, one province minors
2. No cheating or reloading
3. Failure is an option
4. No quitting

Basically, I'll keep trying until I make it. I look forward to suggestions on which countries to play and how to actually survive.

P.S.: Narration will be a mix of history and gameplay

Table of Contents:

Chapter One: Basque Dreams
Part 1
Part 2: Carlos' Gambit

Chapter Two: Death and Glory in the Holy Land
Part 1

Last edited:
This promises to be fun... I almost always play one province minors :)

Urbino and Tuscany are both challenging but offer hope.
Irish minors are fast and furious in the first 50 years.
Any HRE / Germanic one province is a potential fireball
if and when you get yourself elected emperor.

Good luck and have fun!

Don't pick Bourbon!

You'll die immediatly!

Unless you want to.:D

EUROO7 said:
Don't pick Bourbon!

You'll die immediatly!

Unless you want to.:D

Aren't they a vassal of France? That way you can get opportunity to expand and have the protection of France. Otherwise you're right, they're screwed. :D

Capibara said:
Aren't they a vassal of France? That way you can get opportunity to expand and have the protection of France. Otherwise you're right, they're screwed. :D
You can't have protection and expand at the same time, since any provinces you capture go to French control and the only way to expand is to break vassalisation. But then you're stuck right in the middle of the most powerful country in EU III!

Chapter 1: Basque Dreams

Ahhh... Navarre, such a pretty little province. Except for its tendency to get eaten by Castille or Aragon in the first five years of the game, having a culture in its own group of which there are only two provinces, and being dirt poor, what isn't there to like?

EU3_1.jpg

The fairly circular nation of Navarra

Let's start this off slowly, shall we?

Here are our sliders, they're actually pretty decent, especially considering the high centralization.
EU3_2.jpg

Come to think of it, those are my favorite settings... Never mind...
I use my first move to centralize more. Power to the monarchy!
EU3_3.jpg

Here's a look at our country: pretty poor and terrible manpower. Did I mention both naval and land forcelimits are 1?
EU3_5.jpg

Not too bad...

EU3_6.jpg

No, this is bad.

Here we are, all alone. At least Vizcaya loves us! Right?
EU3_7.jpg

EU3_8.jpg

The Beginning of the Beginning: King Carlos III
October 13th 1399 marked the coronation of King Henry IV of England, or an otherwise normal day for the Basque people of Navarre. Navarre had been a once proud state, but her holdings had been greatly decreased by the military actions of the Kings of Castille. Carlos the Noble began pulling his kingdom in the right direction by bringing more control to the crown, namely by limiting the power of wealthy landowners.

EU3_9.jpg

In an effort to legitimize his monarchy and sow seeds for possible alliances, Carlos set about marrying off sons, daughters, and nephews to prominent powers in Western Europe.

Time passed, but none of the kingdoms who were contacted became interested in an alliance with the petty kingdom of Navarre. However, Carlos was happy to be left to his own devices running the nation.

Until...
EU3_10.jpg

The kings of Aragon had been in a perpetual rivalry with the kingdom of Castille since their rise to power. Castille's unification with Leon threatened Aragon by tipping the balance of power in its favor. In response, King Marti of Aragon decided to take the important port of Navarre to rival Castille's dominance of the North coast. Armed with the assistance of her allies, Burgundy, Lorraine, and Sicily, it seemed impossible that Navarre should last for more than a few months.

EU3_12.jpg

A fair fight, to say the least

To Be Continued...

So, who's the next nation? :p

I like the way you write. Maybe something more durable for the next one? Unless of course you have managed to defy reason and turned Aragon into a one-province-minor? :D

Maybe he surprises us with a magnificent strategy? ;) Otherwise, I insist on Maldives :D

@EURO: Is that a new feature of IN, I played once as provence and was able to take several provinces from wars allied with France

the easiest minors are italy and germany it little minors surrounded by other minors while it surrounded by sicily france venice poland austria denmark and a whole ton of others

EUROO7 said:
So, who's the next nation? :p

I like the way you write. Maybe something more durable for the next one? Unless of course you have managed to defy reason and turned Aragon into a one-province-minor? :D

Maybe I'll outlast this one, we'll see. Thanks for the encouragement, it feels nice to have someone at least enjoy the failing.

The Legend said:
Try the Knights!

That's actually the minor I was planning on playing next, you gotta pay homage to the great ones.

Count Lake said:
Umm... yikes. Those are not odds to be facing as a minor. Perhaps you could try one of the Irish minors?

I definitely will, maybe in the third or fourth try. I still hope we don't make it that far.

Capibara said:
Maybe he surprises us with a magnificent strategy? Otherwise, I insist on Maldives

I detect no sarcasm.

redworah said:
the easiest minors are italy and germany it little minors surrounded by other minors while it surrounded by sicily france venice poland austria denmark and a whole ton of others

Easy is not a word in my vocabulary.

Madmonkey24 said:
I detect no sarcasm.

Of course, I'm really hoping you'll be able to deal with them ;)

The End of the End: Carlos' Gambit

King Carlos faced an incredible dilemma. Navarre's puny home guard faced up against some of the largest armies in Western Europe. Even if he managed to defeat the attacking Aragonese, there would be more coming from the Italian theater. Furthermore, a large Burgundian army was already making its way across the Pyrenees. As Aragon's armies marched closer, Carlos sat down with his closest advisers.

EU3_11.jpg

A diplomat was dispatched to Castille, asking for permission to march through the kingdom. The Castillians were more than happy to assist, hoping that they would be able to stop any Aragonese expansion.

King Carlos left Pamplona immediately with the Home Guard, marching into neighboring Vizcaya one day before the Aragonese descended on his capital.

1401THEGAMBIT.jpg

Carlos' march took him down the Castillian-Aragonese border, whereon he marched across Aragon-proper into Barcelona. Carlos hoped that this move would draw the Aragonese away from Pamplona to defend their capital. If all went as planned, Navarre could extricate itself from this situation with a white peace.

EU3_13.jpg
The siege of Barcelona

But King Marti of Aragon would not be deceived. His troops, fresh from Italy, arrived in Barcelona to combat the Navarran invaders.

EU3_14.jpg

The Navarrans fought bravely, but they were overwhelmed and cut off from escape by a rear-guard cavalry action.

EU3_15.jpg

With no army, Navarra had no chance of pulling through. The Burgundian Armee du Chalon walked into Pamplona unopposed a few months later.

EU3_20.jpg

Despite this success, it took around three months to reach a peace agreement, during which the Navarran Agramontes was sunk off the Cote D'Argent.

EU3_17.jpg

EU3_18.jpg

EU3_19.jpg

EU3_21.jpg

King Carlos died two years later. Despite promises to retain Navarran autonomy, she officially became Aragonese territory 12 years later.

The End of Chapter 1
1399-1414

That was lucky, good to see you survived, now that you are under the Aragonese wing, things will be easier

Chapter 2: Death and Glory in the Holy Land

The Knights Hospitaller had played an integral role in the tumultuous history of the Holy Land during the Crusades. Originally founded to care for wounded and poor Christian pilgrims, the conquest of Jerusalem turned the Knights into a military. After expulsion from Jerusalem, they sought sanctuary in the Kingdom of Cyprus but desired a more permanent domain. Under the leadership of Grand Master Fulkes de Villaret, the Knights gained control over the island of Rhodes.​

EU3_1-1.jpg

The political situation in the Middle East and Asia Minor had changed dramatically from the days of the first Crusades. No longer did European knights protect pilgrims from bandits and marauders. The rising power of Islam had turned squabbling warlords into powerful empires. Times were tough for the Knights Hospitaller. They faced a hostile population in their citadel of Rhodes, who prescribed to the Orthodox faith rather than the true Catholic one.​

EU3_2-1.jpg

EU3_3-1.jpg

Philibert de Naillac took steps to turn the Knights Hospitaller into more of a millitary order, rather than a charitable one. He knew that if they wanted to survive in a rapidly changing world, they would need to be able to hold off their numerous enemies.​

EU3_4-1.jpg

In order to gain support from other Catholic forces in the area, Philibert allied himself with the naval power of Venice and the Kingdom of Naples. Venice's fleet could protect Hospitaller interests, while soldiers from Naples would bolster Hospitaller led armies.

EU3_9-2.jpg

While securing promise of sanctuary from the Kingdom of Naples, Grand Master Philibert planned expansion of Hospitaller dominions. The Knights had been forced to retreat from the Kingdom of Cyprus due to local hostility and resentment from the Orthodox population. Having bolstered their forces on Rhodes and forged new alliances, Philibert knew that the Knights could reclaim Cyprus and greatly increase their holdings. On March 12, 1400 Philibert sent an ultimatum to the king of Cyprus. He would either accept Hospitaller overlordship, or the Knights would declare war. The king naturally refused, not knowing that a contingent of the Knights had already left Rhodes and were waiting off of Cyprus on transport ships. With an additional regiment fielded by the Kingdom of Naples, the Cypriot Royal Guard was driven back into their citadel.​

EU3_8-1.jpg

Siege_of_Constantinople.jpg
The siege of Cyprus​

The citadel would fall on the 27th of July, 1400. The garrison was slaughtered on the orders of Philibert de Naillac. The King of Cyprus was forced to cede his lands to the Knights Hospitaller, and went into exile in Naxos.​

EU3_12-1.jpg

Cyprus was a fairly wealthy province, and a producer of wine, but the Knights faced a hostile populace. To the people of Cyprus, the Knights were foreign invaders who were simply relics of the Crusades. In addition, Catholic zealotry often made life difficult for the Orthodox Cypriots. For this reason Grand Master Philibert kept the majority of Hospitaller forces on Cyprus to quell possible revolts.

EU3_13-1.jpg

Small uprisings were successfully quelled until a large uprising was organized by Dionysos Psellos. With a regiment of noble knights and 6000 peasant infantry, Psellos attacked the Hospitaller garrison. The Knights were no match for such a force, even with their skill at arms.
EU3_18-1.jpg

The transport fleet was called, and the Knights were able to evacuate just before taking many casualties.​

EU3_19-1.jpg

Cyprus was lost, and Grand Master Philibert knew it. On November 5, 1404, the Cypriot rebels finally overran the garrison.​

EU3_20-1.jpg

Yet the old King of Cyprus was not restored to power. His defeat was seen as disgraceful, and the populace believed it could have been easily prevented. Instead, a council of nobles voted to rejoin the Byzantine Empire, which had once been a proud state.​

EU3_23.jpg

Grand Master Philibert and the rest of the Knights Hospitaller knew that they had failed. Their attentions turned to making Rhodes a suitable stronghold and winning over the local population. With help from the Pope, missionaries were dispatched to the many towns on Rhodes to spread the Catholic faith. In Anatolia, the Ottoman Turks were busy conquering the remnants of the Byzantine Empire. This was clearly against the will of God, after all, the first Crusade had been called to defeat the Turks. The Knights harassed Turkish shipping from their base on Rhodes, and gained Turkish enmity.​

EU3_21-1.jpg

However, the system of serfdom on Rhodes was doing quite well for the coffers of the Knights.​

EU3_22.jpg

On September 6, 1406, Grand Master Philibert de Naillac passed away in his sleep. The very next day, the Knighthood convened and elected Aloysius, a capable and efficient knight, to be the next Grand Master.

EU3_24.jpg

The efforts of the missionaries came to a close that same month, with the vast majority of the citizens of Rhodes having been converted to Catholicism. Thus, stability was ensured for Hospitaller rule on Rhodes.​

EU3_25.jpg

The military arm of the Hospitaller was further strengthened as Aloysius made military training mandatory for all members.​

EU3_28.jpg

An exciting end to Chapter 2, Part 1!