• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darknesskilla

Emperor of Canada
67 Badges
Sep 23, 2006
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
Empires At Arms: Princes of the Renaissance

eu3americanrevolutionzf8.jpg

After languishing in the Dark Ages for thousands of years, the world, is about to change...

In Western Europe, the kingdoms of Austria, England, France, Portugal and Spain have emerged as the dominant regional
powers. In Germany, the Holy Roman Empire is poised to spread its influence above and beyond it's current borders. To the
east, the rise of the Ottoman Empire is threatening what is left of the great Byzantine Empire, itself the last vestiges of the great
Roman Civilisation. In Russia, Novgorod and Muscowy struggle for supremecy in the region. In Asia, Ming China is poised to expand, seeking to impose it's will on neighboring lands while Japan seeks to
expand beyond the Honshu.

The Renaissance is an age of diplomatic intrigue and war, of trade and colonisation. Will these empires fall like the ones
who came before them, or will they achieve what many think is impossible, and build an empire that will stand the test of time....

They are Empires at Arms

---------------------------------------------

Empires at Arms 1399-1960 is a massive multiplayer AAR spanning three of Paradox's great era games : EUIII, Victoria: Revolutions and HoI: DD. It will consist of three parts:

Book I - Princes of the Renaissance
Book II - For King And Country
Book III - Twilight Struggle

The first part, "Princes of the Renaissance" will revolve around the trials and tribulations of the great empires of the Renaissance, all vying for their place under the sun.

Here is the player list, not all of them will be making AARs but anyway:

-France: Me
-Arakan: Emperor Ike
-Muscowy/Russia: MonMarty
-Venice/Italy: PetitBourgeois
-Brabant/Netherlands: Griffin.Gen
-Byzantine Empire: Walshy_24
-Brandenburg/Prussia/Germany: GnLKnox
-Sweden: Puppets

Timeline:
(I will do my best to keep this thing updated, but no guarantees :D )
----------------------------
Prologue:
Chronicles of France - Chapter 1-Darknesskilla
The Fight for Supremacy of the Netherlands :prologue - by Griffin.Gen
La Serenissima Republica di Venezia: Prologue-PetitBourgeois
Letters From Russia - Part 1- Rav3nous_waffle
Prologue of England - Deskminator
Austria's going to kill you ! -TheMonkeyMon
Reino de Portugal - Pacal
Glorious China - Rinak

1399-1411:
Glory of the Saxon People - GnlKnox
The Bohemian War - TheMonkeyMon
La Serenissima Republica di Venezia Chapter 1: Strato de la Mar - PetitBourgeois
Chronicles of France Chapter 2: The Hundred Year's War - Darknesskilla
The Fight for Supremacy of the Netherlands - Griffin.Gen
Treaties:
Treaty of Paris(1400)
Treaty of Bordeaux(1402)
Treaty of Caen (1405)

1411-1442:
Reino de Portugal part 1 - part 2 - Pacal
The Fight for Supremacy of the Netherlands - Griffin.Gen
La Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia Chapter II Chapter III - PetitBourgeois
The Indian Jewell Part 1&2 Part 3 - Goobermaster
Chronicles of France Chapter 3: The Great Civil War -Darknesskilla
Chronicles of the Saxon People 1411-1430 1430-1442 - GnlKnox

1442-1458:
Chronicles of the Saxon People -GnlKnox
Chronicles of France Chapter 4: The Burgundian Wars -Darknesskilla
England: Rise to Power -Jambojones
La Serrenissima Republica de Venezia -PetitBourgeois
Treaties:
Second Treaty of Paris (1448)
Treaty of Cambray (1453)

1458-1497
Chronicles of the Saxon People 1458-1469 1469-1497 -GnlKnox
Chronicles of France Chapter 5: Birth of an Empire -Darknesskilla
The Fight For The Supremacy Of The Netherlands -Griffin.Gen
La Serenissima Republica De Venezia - Petit Bourgeois
Treaties/Decrees:
1st Ducal Decree (1465)

1497-1511
Chronicles of the Saxon People 1497-1511 -GnlKnox
La Serinissima Republica De Venezia -PetitBourgeois
Chronicles of France Chapter 6: The Protestant Empire -Darknesskilla
-For the Glorious Duchy of Brabant check next period-

Treaties/Decrees:
Treaty of Calais (1505)

1511-1542
Chronicles of the Saxon People 1511-1542 -GnlKnox
The Fight Over The Supremacy of the Netherlands-Griffin.Gen
Chronicles of France Chapter 7: The Clash of the Emperors -Darknesskilla
La Serenissima Republica De Venezia - PetitBourgeois
Treaties/Decrees:
Imperial Decree (1542)

1542-1565
Chronicles of the Saxon People 1542-1565 -GnlKnox
Great Britain -Jambojones
Russian Revolution Part 1 Part 2 -MonMarty
Chronicles of France Chapter 8: The War of the League of Maastricht -Darknesskilla
Birth of Italy - PetitBourgeois
The Fight for Supremacy of the Netherlands -Griffin.Gen

1565-1592
A Great Power (Italy) -PetitBourgeois
Glorious Duchy of Brabant -Griffin.Gen
1592-1609
To The New World -PetitBourgeois
Chronicles of France Chapter 9: Colonial Ambitions -Darknesskilla

1609-1668
Chronicles of the Saxon People 1609-1649 1649-1668 -GnlKnox
Russia -MonMarty
Arakan -Ike
Sweden -Puppets
Chronicles of France Chapter 10: Colonial Expansion -Darknesskilla
The Italian Magreb -PetitBourgeois

1668-1701
Chronicles of the Saxon People 1668-1701 -GnlKnox
Chronicles of France Chapter 11: I Am The State!
The Italian Golden Age -PetitBourgeois

1701-1723

-------------------------------------
Assemblies/Conferences :
Berlin Assembly of 1609

Appendices :
Chronicles of France - Monarchs
Balance of Power, circa 1565
Balance of Power Circa 1609
Balance of Power Circa 1649
Balance of Power Circa 1668
Balance of Power Circa 1701: The Map - The Charts - Techs
Balance of Power Circa 1723

Last edited:
AUSTRIA IS GONNA KILL YOU.

Thats Austrias VERY long term, VERY optomistic war aims for anyone whos interested. White lines represent future Austrian homeland, grey lines represnent future vassals, and everything dark blue is possible allies.

Austria does not start out extrodinaraly strong at 1399. Our hopes are that a foray into north Italy and a slow creep into Germany could change that. However, we would also need a strong army to do either. That means manpower, and manpower means the HRE. So my first goal is, obviously, to take control of that crown for at least a decade so i can grab parts of South Germany, then I can think of my next stratagy.

Austria would also like to kindly inform everyone that Hungary is incredibly evil and everyone should attack them at the 1st chance. You should, really.

Last edited:
comagoosie said:
Sweet a mega-campaign MP AAR :cool:

I'll be watching.

And I'll be rooting for a mecklenburg, if there is one :D

They will die! :D

Seriously, I'm sure it'll be very interesting to see how it develops through the centuries. I'll be following.

La Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia

La Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia
VeneziaStemma.png

Table of Contents

Part I: La Repubblica Marinara
Chapter I: The Stato da Mar (1399-1411)
Chapter II: Beyond the Adriatic (1411-1430)
Chapter III: The Neapolitan War (1430-1442)
Chapter IV: A Requiem for the Habsburgs (1442-1458)
Chapter V: Trent and the Dardanelles (1458-1470)
Chapter VI: The Holy League (1470-1497)
Chapter VII: The League of Burgos (1497-1511)
Chapter VIII: A Protestant Republic (1511-1542)

Part II: La Repubblica Italiana
Chapter IX: The Birth of Italy (1542-1565)
Chapter X: A Great Power (1565-1592)
Chapter XI: To the New World (1592-1609)
Chapter XII: The Italian Maghreb (1609-1649)
Chapter XIII: The Turning Point (1649-1668)
Chapter XIV: The Italian Golden Age (1668-1701)

Introduction

Welcome to the Venetian AAR for Empires at Arms, also my first foray into the realm of AARs. This will essentially be a gameplay AAR (perhaps that is a misnomer) told from the point of view of the Council of Ten, who were the true rulers of Venice. They were a secretive body that consolidated considerable power from their inception in 1310 - however, the spirit of the Republic was maintained by placing considerable restraints on the election of the Council. Each member served a one-year term, could not be elected to two successive terms, and only one member from a family could serve on the Council at one time. Additionally, the three Capi, who led the Council, were imprisoned in the Doge's Palace for the month they served.

Though the Council of Ten was originally designed as a temporary body reserved for national emergencies, similar to the dictator of the Roman Republic in power, after the revolt to overthrow the Doge led by Bajamonte Tiepolo in 1310, the Council was never dissolved. The Council was able to make rapid decisions and was accorded the authority over many governmental affairs because of this efficiency. The Council fought corruption and protected the republic from within.

I feel that the Council of Ten represents very well the secretive behind-the-throne persona that we play in EU3.

[Note: Gameplay pictures will be in the AAR, starting with the 1st chapter]

Prologue

The memories of Chioggia still rest in the back of our minds. Fought only 19 years ago, in 1380, the battle signaled the true dawn of the Republic. From it comes the name for the larger struggle in which it was fought, the War of Chioggia. This was the fourth and final of the wars against Genoa, wherein Genoa amassed strong alliances with the Carraresi of Padua and King Sigismund of Hungary against us. Chioggia determined the fate of Republic - its outcome determined our survival. We fear still what might have happened had the brilliant Vittor Pisani not succeeded in trapping the Genoese fleet in the bay of Chioggia while our main fleet returned to Venice. The battle was a brilliant victory for us, and ended the long struggle with Genoa over trade.

thebattleofchioggiasg5.jpg

Venetian galleys at the Battle of Chioggia

Reminiscence, though, should be for other days. Now that we have dealt with Genoa as well as the Carraresi scum, the Republic has greater worries. After retaking Treviso from the Carraresi in 1389 with aid from the Visconti of Milan, we reopened trade routes through the Brenner Pass for Austrian silver. Hopefully this lucrative trade will help warm relations with the Habsburgs, as we seek no conflict with them. We fear the Visconti more, particularly Gian Galeazzo Visconti, who has attempted to revive the Lombard empire.

giangaleazzoeditzf5.jpg

Gian Galeazzo Visconti, the first Duke of Milan

More important to Venetian trade, however, is the fate of the Ottoman Sultanate. They are currently embroiled in a conflict to the East, and it seems that it may loosen their hold on Byzantine territories. It is a prime goal to control the Hellespont to strengthen our hold on the lucrative trade of Constantinople. Unfortunately, it is not easy to turn our attention to the Byzantines when the Visconti are on our doorstep - it would perhaps be a better move to expand our terra firma and assault Verona. In another ploy to expand our terra firma, we could attack the Patriarchate of Aquileia, whose imperial favor is not fitting. Incorporating the Patria del Friuli into our realm would be beneficial to control of the Adriatic Sea.

Last edited:
GO AUSTRIA!!!

ahem...

100px-Coat_of_arms_of_Brabant.svg.png

The fight over the supremacy of The Netherlands
A Brabant/Dutch AAR
Part 0: Prologue
The Duchy of Brabant, in 1399, was ruled by Duchess Joanna. She was married with William IV of Hainault, which died in 1345. Joanna claims that the Duchy of Hainault should have been inherited when her husband died. Joanna currently rules the Duchy of Brabant, of Limburg and the County of Breda. But Joanna wants more. She desires to unite the region of the Netherlands into a powerfull, united Kingdom. To achieve that, she will have to find allies to fight to great Duchy of Burgundy, which controls the Coast of the Flanders. She will also have to conquer the other duchies and Bishopric including Hainault, Friesland, Gelre, Utrecht, Liege and Luxembourg.
___________________________________________​

-=Out of Character=-​
This is going to be my first AAR. As you can see, this AAR will be a textbook style. Although there are going to be alot of pictures in the later parts.

Chronicles of France Chapter 1

Book I: Princes of The Renaissance
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Chronicles of France
Chapter 1: A Century of Warfare​

France, land of the Franks, emerges from the Dark Ages a decentralized, and disorganised kingdom, the king's power being more religious than administrative, his influence dissolved by the French aristocracy. The kingdom is relatively weak for it's size, but it has great potential.

westerneuropein1399adhi4.png
Excerpt from the diary of Charles VI, King of France, 1368 - ?

It has been ten years since our last conflict with England, but I fear this is but a brief respite, the foolish English are not about to renounce their ridiculous claims on my throne. I fear those foolish heretics will just have to learn the hard way. We must reclaim our territories in the Aquitaine and Calais. For too long, the English have attempted to consolidate their continental holdings... This cannot not be tolerated any longer. The English will leave France or they shall pay the price of their insolence. I have a dream, of a unified France, one that could secure our place in European politics, and repel the English invaders once and for all...

13991500objectivesvu8.png

A "unified" France as envisionned by King Charles VI

Last edited:
Seem that you had much more to write than me lol
I havent found much stuff about Brabant.
I forgot to add that Brabant, Gelre and Holland were constantly fighting over Utrecht.

PetitBourgeois said:
Yeah, Brabant didn't seem to have a great golden age, just getting gobbled up by Burgundy and then Austria. Hopefully that'll change in this game. ;)
They got inherited by Burgundy, then Austria inherited the southern Netherlands.
Now i'm going to hunt for some pictures!

comagoosie said:
pratice game...uhh...you guys lost me :eek:o
We had a test run last Sunday, before the actual game would start, to see who could host, optimal speed, etc. Our first actual game is this Sunday, these are all pre-AARs right now. Sounds a bit funny, Pre After Action Report. :wacko:

Prologue of England:

The House of Normandía and the House of Angevin

When dying without heirs Eduard the Confesor (1066), count Harold de Wessex seized of the throne of England, doing contingency not covered by law of the promise that Eduard had made name heir to William the Bastard, later the Conqueror, son of Robert II Duke of Normandía.

William decided to fight the crown to Harold, recruited a great army, crossed the English Channel and settled down his camping in Hasting. Few days later (14 of October of 1066) he gained the total victory on his rival, after the siege of London. It was made crown king the day of Christmas of that year and its authority was dominated the diverse counts mainly, exerting the kingdom. With the domination normanda introduced the French language in the island, mainly between the nobility and the high clergy, fact that would affect to the vocabulary and the English syntax.

In 1079 it lost before Philip of France the Ducated of Normandía and the Maine. It fixed its fiscal rights with the creation of a registry, the "Domesday Book", that controlled the rights of succession and the crossings of properties. Like the nobility title he was inherent to the territorial possession, almost all the noble were normandos, although William and his successors took care of themselves very well of which they did not have excessive to be able. He made disarm the cities and he constructed castles in London, Winchester and other important cities and in them he quartered the real troops. William died in 1087 during the battle against the king of France, Felipe I, by the conquest of the city of Nantes.

As much William the Conqueror as their successors, William II and Henry I, reinforced the powers of the Church with the purpose of in front of obtaining their support other aspirings to the throne. This became against tried absolutism of the crown, because Paschal Pope II I force Henry I to be contented with the tribute of vasallaje of its feudos. Once again the English monarchy, like so many times in its history, had to accept the brake of its subjects, who time and time again would prevent the absolute government of their monarchs until the declaration, at the end of the millenium, of the modern democracy.

Hery I, before raising the throne had to sign a "Letter" promising to respect to the goods of the noble and the church, historical precedent of the "Magna Letter" of Jon without Land of 1215.

Its descendants Esteban de Blois (1135-1154), last king of the House normanda, and Henry II (1154-1189), first king of the Angevin House, faced the Church and the noble causing, first, a civil war between the in favor nobility of the king and the bishops, and the second, a violent confrontation with the Church that I culminate with the murder of Thomas Beckett, obstinate to the suppression of the ecclesiastical immunities (Constitutions of Clarendon, 1164).

Thus the decay of the real authority began, that was agravated: by the revolts of the children of Henry against its father; by the expenses of Richard Heart of Leon (1189-1199) in third Crossed, and by the defeats final result it was the concession of the Magna Carta (1215), that put limits to the authority of the crown and created the Parliament again, although this was not really organized until 1265, when two representatives by city got up themselves in order to restrain the monopoly that held in solitaire the nobility.

The parliament was divided in Camera of the Common Lores and Ca'mara of, the structure basic that it survives in the present democratic regime although with a different balance of powers affluent and an electoral system very different from the one of then. Jon without Earth was I complete king of the Angevin house.

The Plantagenet

During that chaotic period the international relations were presided over by the constant wars with France and Scotland, and in spite of the conquest of Ireland by Henry II (1172) and the annexation of Aquitania by his wedding with princess Leonor, Henry III, first king Plantagenet, it sank to the country in the ruin with his ambitious dream to dominate Sicily and Germany. The nobility, headed by Simón de Monfort, count of Leicester, limited their authority still more, and single after the defeat of the nobility in Evesham she could recover privileges and return to the structure of the "Magna Carta".

The kingdom of Scotland, influenced by normandos and Norwegians, was vasallo of the English kings and knew a long period peace. But to the death of its queen, Daisy of Norway (1286-1290), English king Eduard I (1272-1290) arbitrated the succession in favor of Jon Baliol; this one, pushed by its town, was rebelled. Eduard invaded Scotland (1296) and exiled Jon. Until his death, Eduard, choked all type of Scottish insurrection (William Wallace, to remember the film Brave Heart, was made prisoner and the condemned until death in 1305), Robert Brushes that king of Scotland in 1306 had proclaimed itself took refuge in mountains and won in the battle of Bannock Burn (1314) to Eduard II (1307-1327), proclaiming the independence of Scotland.

On the other hand, the long fight by the conquest of Wales had concluded (Eduard I) in 1284, year in which the Statutes of Wales, divided in counties, sanctioned the submission of the country, being created the title of "Prince of Wales" for the heir of the English crown.

The War of the One hundred Years

During the reign of Eduardo III (1327-1377), the confrontation with France untied with all virulence, eternal rival whom it fed a long time ago his resentment by the confrontations on the past and the English domination on them crown from France the death without descendants on Charles IV (branch of the Capeto).

The war lasted one hundred twenty years and knew different phases. The English gained great victories in the beginning and they annexed Calais, the county of Poiton and they took control of the total sovereignty of Aquitania. But, soon, the French took advantage of the intervention Eduardo, in favor of Peter the Cruel one, in the internal conflict of the kingdom of Castile and Leon and recovered the lost territories, except Calais, Bayonne and Bordeaux.

Note : Sorry but my english is not perfect, and i hate server to busy i post this 6 times (the screenshoots when start the game).

Last edited:
Just click edit and then select Delete Message.
Btw Darkness you marked Valanciennes in the map, i thought we agreed on something :(