• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

IamWhoa

Captain
34 Badges
Oct 28, 2006
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
banner.jpg

Authors Introduction:
This is my first attempt at a published AAR and I'd thought I'd take a swipe at Brittany. Part One lacks the graphics that will come in the future, but it's just a groundwork for the rest of the chapter. It's a lot of fun to photoshop different things and I will definitely make use of the program. This is an experiment for the most part. This is played using the DVIP, among many other mods.
Criticism is much desired. Feel free to leave any suggestions, even if you haven't read it all yet. Thank you. :D

Book One: 1066-1163

Chapter 1: Duke Hoel II
1066-1091

The Conqueror's Enemies
Storms Across the Channel
The Mad Duke
The Border Wars

Chapter 2: Duke Alan IV "the Younger"

1091-1120

Desperate for Bardic Memorial
Drifting
Are they Normans?
The Balearic Islands

A Dastardly French Kerne
Return to Mallorca
Song: Lay of a Crusader
Broken Sheiks

Cypriot Folly
Heathen Rivalries
Cypriot Wars
Battle of Juniyah

A Decade of Misery

Chapter 3: Duke Daniel Kerne

1120-1138

Conspiracy of a Blighted Soul
The Death of Aldéric
The Stiletto War

Chapter 4: Duke Brandon "the Dotty"

1138-1163

My Knight is Fight!
My Duke is Flight! -- The Battle of Guer
Foreign Ventures: Jerusalem
Foreign Ventures: Spain
The Partition of Brittany

Book Two: 1163-1354

Chapter 5: Descent Into Obscurity
1163-1247

Count Alan V
Count Máelcoluim
Count Aimeric the Occitan
Count Aimeric: A History

Europe in 1243
Duke Indrechtach

Chapter 6: Crimthann
1247-1290

An anti-Climatic Usurpation
Prosperity and Unease
Return to Iberia
From Bastard to Duke

Rising Power
The Rule of Plateau
The Alexandrian Crusade
The End of Crimthann

Chapter 7: The Heirs of Crimthann
1290-1354

Uilleam
Tigernach -- Promise and Mediocrity
Tigernach -- The Ebd of His Reign
Óengus

The end.

Last edited:
Chapter I

Part I: The Conqueror’s Enemies

PortraitChpt1.jpg

Duke Hoel Kerne of Brittany​

“Two dispatches, my Lord Hoel.”

The messenger spoke flat and calm, just audible above the sound of driving rain pounding the roof above them. Though his inability to take his eyes off the Dukes cleft lip was obvious, Hoel returned the tone in kind-

“Good, leave them here with me.”

After the man briskly left the room, Duke Hoel Kerne examined the letters laying before him with a solid gaze. Though one was clearly marked with the writing of a Breton, the Duke sighed deeply as he noticed the other bore the seal of his ally, William of Normandy, the new King of England.

“Might as well get this over with.” He mumbled, before his hand pounced savagely on William’s letter.

Hoel leaned back, taking yet another moment to relish another quick sigh. Hoel plucked what he knew of the French language from the cellars of his mind and before long, the assortment of symbols began to become legible-

My good friend Hoel, Duke of Brittany and the Bretons.​

You have no doubt heard of my excommunication by that wretch in Rome. The boorish imbecile assumes that because he offered his rag of a banner in confidence of my invasion, that I am some how in debt! The Pope now seems to take great pleasure in watching the realm he helped bring under my control fall to the whims of rebellious Counts and Dukes.

The wars have, at least, given me time to tour my new country. I enjoyed raiding the coasts of Ireland, throwing those savages in Northumberland off the battlements of York and teaching my son Robert exactly how to fight rebellious subjects in Normandy. But now my friend, I need your aid in Cornwall. The brutes there I once trusted as my vassals have now burned countless villages and are making a mockery of the true God anointed Kings, like ourselves. I still may not be able to respond to their attacks for months, as my forces are tied up in the north. Rationing is terribly low and I have even set aside my own for the good of my soldiers. As a tribute to our friendship, one which has long been maintained by us both, I ask only for your aid in Cornwall. Please respond with haste.

“You’re not the only one who’s hungry, William.” Hoel grunted mockingly. He knew his help was far from crucial in Williams civil wars and so he would not participate. It didn’t help that William was suspected of assassinating his predecessors – with poisoned riding gloves, no less!

After tossing William’s letter aside with contempt, Hoel moved on to the second. Soon after examining it he realized it was from his son, sent far off to Paris to learn from the court of King Philippe. The combination of language finesse and childish handwriting amused the Duke as he dug into the letter-

Dear Father.​

The journey to Paris was long but not difficult. His highness King Philippe has proven himself a fine host for me and his skilled Marshals are eager to show me the ways of war. Paris is a glorious place and I’ll have more to write about in the future. I thought I may inform you on the conversations of this court. King Philippe has taken a great effort to express his disdain for King William of Normandy. As your trusted friend, he is also mine, and I am concerned about the well-being of his realm, at the hands of King Philippe.

Sincerely, Alan Fergant Kerne​

The Duke set the letter down gently, still smirking at the phrase “trusted friend.” He tilted his chin, rubbing the unkempt stubble that protruded from it. He was a little disappointed in the briefness of Alan’s letter but the young boy was already learning how to be useful. Perhaps Philippe’s plans against William was worth keeping an eye on. Just the thought of claiming the relatively rich border regions of Normandy sent Hoel into deep contemplation of what might be in store for him.​

Last edited:
A good start to an AAR. And welcome to the ranks of AAR-writers.

So, a excommunicated William eh? That might make things interesting for French and Bretton influence in Normandy.

Yay, another Bretagne aar!
On the edge of the ocean... just steal cornwalls demesne, then Normandy from the poor norman king...
I have no critic as it seems already fine as it is.

Good luck with creating a powerful dynasty!

stnylan: Thank you. :)

Estonianzulu: Yes it will. The Pope has gone excommunication crazy and is obliterating the continent in the process.

Enewald: Thank you. We'll see what happens.

I really like your writing style, phrases such as having Hoel poucing savagely on a letter really pack a punch that adds to your writing! I'll be watching this one with interest. :)

Part II: Storms Across the Channel

HISTORIAN2.jpg

Anne Morena's The Bretons

One year after the momentous Byzantine defeat at Constantinople in 1074, King Philippe of France began to pillage the outlying regions of Normandy. The excommunicated William the Conqueror was busy quashing rebellions of all types across England and beyond. At first, William looked unwilling to respond and Philippe, sensing weakness, was only emboldened to go further. Towards the end of summer in 1075, Philippe launched his largest raid yet. Williams son and Duke of Normandy, Robert of Normandy, sent a furious wave of letters to William requesting help. It was about this time, perhaps even due to the menacing French raids, that the young Duke was beginning to go mad. We can only imagine the confused gibberish William was forced to decipher.

KingPhillipe.jpg

A sketch of King Philippe I

Nonetheless, William came to the aid of his first-son and declared war on France. The resulting conflict went on for many years but William would never set foot in Normandy. He wouldn’t even get off the English coastline. Instead, Philippe bypassed Normandy all together and with the bulk of his forces, invaded the British Isles. It was as startling repeat of 1066. William was forced back again and again until London itself fell. Crippled by renewed uprisings in Northumbria and fearful of prolonging the conflict, William grudgingly gave up the southern English coast to the French Crown. The humiliation of “The Conqueror” sent England into yet another deadly spiral of intrigue and rebellion.

normanarmies-1.jpg

The war between Philippe and William would set the stage for Hoel to make a move for his own ambitions in the region. Though he was delayed nearly ten years for a variety of reasons. Namely, the tenuous grip he had over his vassals in Brittany. In one instance, the Count of Penthievre found himself at war with William of Normandy. Relatives of the reigning Count of Penthievre, Jafrez Boterel Penteur, willed their estates in England to him. Specifically, the county of Somerset in Cornwall. These relatives were also powerful rebels who had arrayed themselves against the English King. In effect, Jafrez inherited the wars of his kin. To avoid having to go through the effort of an invasion, William began negotiations to keep Somerset under the banner of England. After a series of insults by a rambunctious Jafrez, William sent a single letter to Duke Hoel, threatening to attack unless the Count was put in his place.

Hoel responded, by all accounts, with trepidation. He personally traveled to meet Count Jafrez to ask that his title in Brittany be reneged. Jafrez simply mocked the Duke, boasting in the majesty of his armies and predicting his overwhelming victory – all while citing Williams own defeats in England. Though the arrogant Jafrez was sure in his strength, he did not realize the cause for war he had given Hoel. The Duke easily gained the support of most of the Counts of Brittany and mobilized for an invasion of Penthievre. Having a much larger army, Hoel was easily able to brush aside the forces that Jafrez once proclaimed could crush William the Conqueror. After a humbling series of defeats, the Count formally surrendered his title, ending the crisis after only a few months. Jafrez would live out the rest of his days on his family’s estates in southern England. Ironically, the safety and freedom of Jafrez was secured by Hoel in a short series of negotiations with William.

Though the action taken by Duke Hoel received much praise from the nobility, Alain Leon of the County of Leon was horrified. Long had he fought the perilous game of intrigue between his and Hoel’s court, now his own throne could be snatched away to the cheers of his adversaries. Declaring that Hoel had maliciously broken the feudal contract, Alain declared independence. Though like Jarfrez, he stood little chance. He managed to hold out against Hoels forces for several months before the crown of Leon was ripped from his stubborn hands.

With his rule in Brittany solidified, Duke Hoel was now in a prime position to stake his claims in Normandy.

Last edited:
While England and France war there is definitely the potential to make gains.

Securing the home front is always a good idea. Now to stake your claim before the French take over entirely.

Evil county of Leon... it's kinda funyn that Kingdom and Duchy and Leon are in Spain, and county is in Bretagne. Can be confusing.
Poor Wille the Conqueror... got conqured. :p

GeneralBT: Thank you. :D I'm an admirer of your work as well.

stnylan: Yes, but there is a small twist ahead.

Mettermrck: You're welcome. :)

kadvael56: England and France are still powerhouses, though there will be an opportunity to take some from lesser Dukes. ;)

Estonianzulu: Don't get too far ahead now. :eek:

Enwald: There's actually an accent of some sort for either the "e" or "o" in Leon and even though I meant to go back and change that, I forgot. Maybe I'll go back in the future.

TheConqueror: He's had a hellish reign for sure.

Part III: The Mad Duke

PortraitChpt1.jpg

Duke Hoel Kerne of Brittany​

“My son, how does William’s heir fare these days?”

Hoel’s low and rumbling voice rippled off of the stone walls of his chamber. The now 19 year old Alan was well prepared to answer. His eyes shone brightly in the dim light of the room. Speaking highly and confidently, with all the knowledge of the French court backing him–

“After the conclusion of the war between Philippe and William, Robert's drops of madness became a storm. He regularly imitated birds and demanded his servants do the same. The poor man spent hours drawing up elaborate plans that were mere cacophonies of random shapes and words. Then according to Phillipe’s Court, in a period of terror that no sane man could comprehend, Robert strangled his third son in front of the Court of Normandy. Though convinced he had slain a demon, an act to be praised by all good Christians, the Pope was alerted and an excommunication was swiftly handed down.”

Though Alan had a slightly amused look about him, Hoel was saddened by this tale. The thought of insanity frightened him more than being buried alive. He felt deeply for the poor Duke of Normandy. Hoel’s sympathetic look lifted as his train of thought progressed–

“And you are positive in Normandy’s separation from England?”

Alan responded almost indignantly– “Of course, William has neither the time nor patience to attend to Robert. The Duke is convinced he is Julius Ceasar reborn, destined to rebuild Rome. His administrative abilities are almost non-existent. I’ve even heard that even William awaits a good moment to remove his son from power.”

Hoel seemed to brim with renewed energy and anticipation. While his thoughtful gaze examined the ceiling, the Duke’s cleft-lip took on a ghastly appearance. As Alan winced slightly, Hoel’s gaze came back down upon him and the old Duke began to speak- “Then things will go ahead as planned. We shall wait for Robert to become consumed by the civil war that awaits him, then the strike will come. Why don’t you write the Counts – in Rennes and such; tell them to prepare for a campaign.”

Alan rose swiftly, bowing silently to the hunched figure of Duke Hoel before leaving the chamber.

homecastle2.jpg

---------------------------​

That’s the last cliffhanger for now, haha. I didn’t mean for these to pan out that way. The action comes in the next update, finally.

Last edited:
Somehow I think Mad Duke Robert will find the Duke of Brittany more formidable than any of the "demons" he has "slain." After Normandy, where does Brittany go?

I like the take on Duke Robert.