• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

diziziz

Second Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2008
Sunset Over Berlin

Sunset Over Berlin

Prologue

November 18 1944

Von Manstein was nervous and whenever he was nervous, von Manstein became very hungry. Right now he was gnawing on a sandwich. This sandwich had meat, meat that was raw and uncooked, just how Manstein liked it. The red smear around his mouth wasn’t tomato juice either.

Around him sat Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring, Generalfeldmarschalls Erwin Rommel, Gerd von Rundstedt, and Albert Kesselring, also present were: Walther Model, Heinz Guderian, and others that Manstein didn’t bother to look at or didn’t know. They all were cramped in a small room, sitting on stiff chairs with only Göring sitting on a puffy red couch.

Göring looked at Manstein as if asking for confirmation. Manstein merely grunted in response.

You see there had been a plan, a genius plan. It called for a glider based assault led by Kurt Student on the Wolfsschanze. Hitler was staying there currently and two Russians POW’s were specifically selected for this mission. These two POW were extensively trained. Firstly they had to endure watching their defenseless company being wiped out in front of their eyes by laughing German’s with machine guns. They were then approached by Manstein himself and asked to participate in a coup against Hitler, seeing what they had seen they were only too glad to accept.

Afterwards it had been relatively simple, teaching them some basic German and giving them some basic glider training.

“Von Manstein called all of you here and so I am speaking on his behalf” said Göring, who was rather looking bored. He pointed at Manstein for the group of generals to see where he was. “Von Manstein here has come up with a plan, a plan“, here Göring had yawned in the middle of his speech and then belched rather loudly. “A plan to kill Hitler” finished Göring, who now looked proud of himself.

The looks on the faces of the different generals became a sight to behold. Some looked hopeful, some looked as though they were expecting a punch line to Göring’s not so funny joke, and others looked downright horrified or shocked. Several gasps were heard throughout the room. Even the SS man guarding them had dropped the weapon he was holding.

“O well yes”, muttered Göring looking surprised at the reactions of the different generals, “well anyways, now I am going to make the call to start the operation”.

“Preposterous” shouted Rundstedt, now standing, looking angry. He made a gesture to call the SS man standing at guard, but he had been too late, as Manstein had already tackled the man down.

Manstein was enraged and he showed it well. Standing guard over the door it was obvious to see that his “little meeting” did not go the way he had intended. Manstein held both his hands in fists and was shaking from rage.

Generalfeldmarschall Erich von Manstein

“Nobody will leave this room” he spat out.

“Somebody stop that man, we need to get to the Führer at once” ordered Alfred Jodl, who was now white with fear.

Walther Model chose as this moment to follow Jodl’s order and so he ran straight at Manstein with the intent to tackle him away from the door. Unfortunately, Manstein grabbed Model’s shoulders just as Model came into contact with him. Manstein then let out a war cry and pushed Model back, causing him to tumble onto the floor.

Göring was watching all this with fear on his face. It was then when he heard a gunshot followed by more gunshots. Scared stiff, Göring jumped over his couch, hiding behind it.

He quickly grabbed the telephone and ran the dials.

“Student” he bellowed into the phone, “Student”.

“Sir” came a voice.

“Launch it” replied Göring

“Launch what sir” answered Student.

“Operation Mansteiner” screamed Göring before he threw the phone away.

Last edited:
You did it! Congratulations and good luck. I'm here, first in line as promised :) .

Good to see the top generals getting physical with one another!

diziziz said:
“Operation Mansteiner” screamed Göring before he threw the phone away.

Steiner, what a man, indeed. :D

Why does everybody wants to kill poor Adolf? Nobody says

"here, here, mein Führer, take a pencil and some paper and draw me some nice buildings".

:D

TheHyphenated1 - You ain't seen nothing yet.

Kurt_Steiner - Steiner just sounds German, so I had made it part of the operation name. You'll see where I am going with this.

Also if any moderator happned to read this, can they change the title shown on the forum to the titile shown in the post. It was late at night and I titled this AAR something very stupid.

Stroph1, thanks a lot. This probably will annoy you, but could you please change it one last time. The other title I gave you wasn't really reflecting the story. All day I was thinking and I have finally thought of the perfect title that best fits this story, it is Sunset Over Berlin. This is the last title change, there will be no more, I promise.

diziziz said:
Stroph1, thanks a lot. This probably will annoy you, but could you please change it one last time. The other title I gave you wasn't really reflecting the story. All day I was thinking and I have finally thought of the perfect title that best fits this story, it is Sunset Over Berlin. This is the last title change, there will be no more, I promise.
Sunset Over Berlin would certainly make more sense if Hitler ends up getting removed...

Killing Hitler off seems to have become the standard way of beginning a 1944 AAR around here.

dublish said:
Sunset Over Berlin would certainly make more sense if Hitler ends up getting removed...

Killing Hitler off seems to have become the standard way of beginning a 1944 AAR around here.

How can you expect to survive in 1944's Germany with Hitler yelling at your generals every second :D

Also, I notice this AAR starts in November 18th, 1944. Even worse than July 20th.

Excellent start, and good luck. Should be an interesting struggle, to say the least.

DvD-IT said:
How can you expect to survive in 1944's Germany with Hitler yelling at your generals every second :D
I dunno, but wouldn't it be epic?

Heil HitlAAR: Uncle Adolf single-handedly turns the tide against the Red Horde! NO RETREAT!

The comedic potential is so high, I may have to write it once I finish my Soviet 300 parody (3000000). Of course, I have to start that one first...

Or even, dublish, a serious Hitler-lives 1944 AAR... I think the challenge of winning given in-character house rules (no tactical retreats) and the atmosphere of general surrealism in those final months could make for a stupendous AAR.

Back to Sunset Over Berlin, though, the part about von Manstein having a penchant for raw meat is sure an interesting twist!

Stroph1- Thank you, for changing it both times.

Afom - I hope to meet them!

DvD-IT - Thank you, it's comments like yours which get me through the day.

dublish - Don't worry it won't become Remble's A Creek without a Paddle copycat #5678

DvD-IT (2) - You're right, it makes it much much worse.

rcduggan - Thank you

dublish (2) - I'd read that.

TheHyphenated1 - A serious one would be impossible in my opinion. But if it were written, I would definitely read. Maybe you could write it after you finish Weltkriegschaft. You would do a great job as you seem very knowledgable about Adolf Hitler.

Cpt Rossi - Maybe, but what is done, is done.

henryjai - Let's hope so.

Thanks for all the reviews

The next chapter is really taking me a long time to write so, sorry for the wait.

Next Update Tomorow

Last edited:
dublish said:

I know. Its sad, I don´t think any 44 GER AAR created later than my own AAR from almost a year ago has kept Hitler in the driver seat. And I agree, it adds a lot of potential for comedy. But I think that might be the problem, there are not a lot of 44 GER comedy AARs. Come to think of it, I don´t think anyone has created any since I started mine almost a year ago........ Perhaps this is the connection ;)

Very funny!

Subscribed I am!

Goring must really have been scared if he was able to jump a couch then hide behind it.. :D

*Subscribed* :D :D :D :D