• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sute]{h

Field Marshal
88 Badges
Jun 25, 2002
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
The throne of the Realm is empty. Its rightful owner the Scarlet Empress has disappeared from Creation. Now the very foundation of the empire is at risk. Reluctant tributaries are withholding their dues, and the great houses of the empire is busy plotting for the throne. As if the brewing civil war isn't enough the once almighty rulers of Creation the Solars have returned, and the weakness of the Realm might allow these exalted beings to sieze control of their old capital in the center of Creation

This is a mod for EU: Rome based on White Wolf's Exalted setting. The map are based primarily on the works of Xeriar which can be found here.

At the moment focus lies with getting a working map. As such there is still no public working versions of the mod.

This mod will require a lot of modifications to the engine, as it is a fantasy mod, but I intend to show how versatile EU: Rome can be. I will need help along the way though. Currently I most of all need someone with experience in textures, since a whole new texture file must be made for the map. Regardless every bit of help, feedback and ideas are welcome.

At the moment most effort is going into adjusting the positions of ports, units, cities and names. Since there is a lot of gaps in the canon material I could use help coming up with fictional names to fill the holes. Take a look at post 26 in this thread.

Newest screenshot:

The Blessed Isle now with names and ports.

Last edited:
I would suggest that you create the other mapfiles aswell and try to start with just a few provinces and maybe two sample countries. That way you can test as you go along and see if it even starts, since just one small error closes the program and give you little or no info on why.

Saben said:
I would suggest that you create the other mapfiles aswell and try to start with just a few provinces and maybe two sample countries. That way you can test as you go along and see if it even starts, since just one small error closes the program and give you little or no info on why.
I've tried something along those lines... but it causes a crash. If EU: Rome is like EU3 this is due to the fact that provinces has max size. Thus I can't create a single large nation covering the whole map. I've experimented a little with making everything but the west PTI. Havn't got it running yet though.

EDIT: Since this is my first map I might have missed something. What files would be needed just to get it up and running?

Last edited:
Sute]{h said:
I've tried something along those lines... but it causes a crash. If EU: Rome is like EU3 this is due to the fact that provinces has max size. Thus I can't create a single large nation covering the whole map. I've experimented a little with making everything but the west PTI. Havn't got it running yet though.

EDIT: Since this is my first map I might have missed something. What files would be needed just to get it up and running?

Read the messana added thread, might be an idea to just try to add one minor provice to the default map first to get a feel for it since you won't have to bother with all the files at the same time then.

At the minimum, although it might be more:

map/rivers.bmp, map/terrain.bmp, map/topology.bmp, map/provinces.bmp, map/terrain/colormap_hires.bmp, map/default.map (amount of provinces), map/definition.csv, map/adjacencies.csv (just empty it)

Do it in a mod folder and keep the cashe folder empty. It will divide colormap_hires on it's own. if it starts that part where it says it will take several minuites, it have accepted the first check of provinces.bmp. I discovered that earlier today when I made some tests on resizing the map to allow for eastern provinces.

Edit: From what I understood of the load order, since that can give some clues as to why it quits. it seems to start with a check of the .csv files, then it checks sizes and moves on to creating paths between the provinces using province.bmp aswell as topology, rivers, terrain. When that is done is starts to create textures for each province from colormap_hires and after that it loads some more and enters startup screen.

Hmm... think perhaps I will have to make history files and everything as well. I got all the files you mention, and it still wont work. Crashes after reaching "Initializing Maplogic".

EDIT: Went though setup.log and found a single error between province.bmp and definitions.csv, which I corrected. But it still wont work. So I'll properly have to make some dummy countries and stuff to get it to work.

Last edited:
I can now get Rome to load the map. Only problem is that the textures are all wrong. But that is a minor and expect issue.

Thought I might as well add a screenshot in case any of you experienced map makers can tell what is wrong. For some reason none of my naval provinces shows up at all. The PTI shows up as water though. Also it doesn't seem to load my colormap_hires.bmp but simply uses the one not in the moddir.

Sute]{h said:
Thought I might as well add a screenshot in case any of you experienced map makers can tell what is wrong. For some reason none of my naval provinces shows up at all. The PTI shows up as water though. Also it doesn't seem to load my colormap_hires.bmp but simply uses the one not in the moddir.

The colormap_hires.bmp is unfortunately not loaded from mods. Modestus found a way to make it work though, have not tested it myself yet, but it is described in the Minor Map Modifications thread. The short version is to backup the vanilla map, let vanilla generate the new map, throw new map into the mod directory and restore vanilla map.

Lofman said:
The colormap_hires.bmp is unfortunately not loaded from mods. Modestus found a way to make it work though, have not tested it myself yet, but it is described in the Minor Map Modifications thread. The short version is to backup the vanilla map, let vanilla generate the new map, throw new map into the mod directory and restore vanilla map.
Ok. Might have to check that out then. For now I've made the religious and cultural adjustments on the islands instead.

Can anyone help me track down a bug? I've added a bunch of provinces in two fases since last update. The first added the missing islands between the two groups already included, and introduced water around the islands. After which everything worked out fine. The second attempted to introduce a couple of new islands south of ones on the last screenshot. This time the game crashes when I get to the "graphics loading" screen.

Step by step I did the following:
1 Drew in the new provinces in provinces.bmp plus 2 water provinces. One surrounding the first island group and one surround the island group I'm trying to create.
2 Add the relevant names to definitions.csv including a few placeholders to fill the empty spots.
3 Edited terrain.bmp to ensure that the provinces wasn't PTI.
4 Edited default.map to the new province number plus water provinces plus one. Increased first sea zone as well.
5 Added history data for each new province.
6 Added the new names in text.csv.

Now I come across a wierd thing while trying to debug this. If I reduce the max province so that I only add one new province (33) it starts up fine. However when I try to introduce the second province (34) it crashes. I can't find any differences between the proces in making the two though.

I have yet to do a retexturing of everything, so I have just accepted that stuff looks wierd. Could this have something to do with moving outside the area which is textured in vanilla? Hope this isn't the case, and I've just screwed up somewhere along the way. Cause from what I can understand retexturing is quite a tedious process at the moment.

EDIT:
Uploaded the provinces.bmp and definition.csv files in case anyone can figure it out:
provinces.bmp
definition.csv

Last edited:
Tracked down the bugs. First of my temporary sea zones was to big. Secondly the new provinces was in direct contact with the map edge. Both issues seems to crash the game.

Also I've updated the first post... but Mediafire seems to be offline atm. :(

Screenshot in the first post working now.

Also does anyone know how to get rid of the tiny grayish-white borders around the flags? The wierd thing is that the first flag I made (the black one with the white circle) is fine. But the two last ones I've made seems to have this unwanted border (the brown flag in the left and the red one all the way to the back).

I've updated the screenshot in the first post, just so you know that stuff is still happing. :)

At the present I'm working on the Scavenger Lands and still havn't decided upon what I want to do with the rivers. Mostly I like their current size, but using sea zones (or pti) to make the rivers does present a bunch of problems. Mostly that crossing from one side to the other will require an adjacency. Secondly I'm afraid that it might confuse people somewhat that rivers arn't "rivers".

Screenshot of the current river setup in the Scavenger Lands (all of which is currently under the proper guidance of the Scarlet Empire. ;) )

riversxx0.jpg

Screenshot in the first post updated.

I've now completed all the land provinces in Creation. A total of 419 provinces! Which is 150 more than vanilla Rome. Also the mod has now been tested with 1.3 and there doesn't seem to be any issues.

I could still need a hand with textures and flags.

Darkarbiter said:
Could certainly be interesting, looking forward!
First interested response since Rome hit the streets. :rofl:

Nice of you to post here. Unfortunately my studies is currently taking up a lot of my time, but I will get back to finishing this a some point. Making the whole map from scratch was more time consuming than I thought. :)

Also the recent release of The Compass of Terrestrial Directions III: The East means I'll have to adjust the east.

Oh well, I had a mod with about 3x more work put into it then any other for a while, and I got hardly any replies, along with no one noticing my rather zealous discontinueing of it (replaced entire first post with discontinued).

but anyway, its good to see someone get a totally new map working, I'm gonna have to ask you if I run into any problems with myne :p Anyway, don't worry about the eu rome community, if its a decent total conversion the eu3 crowd will take a look once its in a good state anyways.

p.s. do you have xfire?

Last edited:
Feel free to send me a pm if you need help. Most of the time it is simply a matter of tracking down a tiny error somewhere, since you quickly grasp the basics.

I don't have Xfire no. Should I have it?

Well I've currently done everything except assigning province colours and naming (well not so much the naming thats the problem name 1, 2, 3, 4 etc are fine for now) but it looks like its going to be an absolute pain and I'm just sitting here really cannot be bothering to start.

By the way, if you ever need some events/advisors/traits/scripts etc work done you can ask me, I'd love to help out and I've got plenty of spare time.